Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
th-3795061174.jpg

Happy New Year!

Good Morning All!

34F @ 88% and still dark. Still no white.

Welp, made it to about 2100 last night. Got woken at the time/space jump by BIG boomers somewhere close in the neighborhood. Listened for awhile and escaped into this orbit.

Had to go to the store yesterday afternoon and decided to stop at the fav watering hole for a beer. Boy, what a ZOO. 1500 in the afternoon and there were 30 to 40 people looking to get a leg up for the new year and they were loud. Only one beer and headed for home; geesh have not done that for a few years!

Simple dinner, prime rib stew and hot rolls. Today is 'the crab feast' bout 1600.

Lizzy, Nina's daughter; is finally coming back to reality as she had been moping around barely eating and such. Poor dog. Anyway I went to put Nina's collar ( metal thing that ...um... tinks ) into our family display case and it slipped out of my hand and hit the floor. Lizzy was outside and immediately came running in looking for Mom. She seems to be OkieDokie now, maybe after seeing that empty collar.

I decided that this year the layout is getting started; no matter what else needs to be done with track plan, electronics and such. I have a general base to work with and can change some stuff on the fly. I have a few hours in the am before anybody is up that I can burn. Helix is 1st, then proceed to the upper level. Train Cave is pretty clear, few things to move around and still have to move wiring coming/going from the breaker box ( 100Amp stuff ). Been looking forward to starting; no time like the present ... right?

Hope that this orbit is better than the last. Ok, last 1,2,3 maybe.

Everybody enjoy!

Later

Happy New Year to all…

Well if the National Weather Service had any resolutions about accurate forecasting that’s been broken already. Where Boris has Sun when the forecast says cloudy, we have clouds instead of the NWS saying it’s sunny out. The cloud cover is fairly severe so I have no thoughts of seeing the Sun today.

I upgraded my IPadPro to iOS17.2 this morning as I want the new journal feature. The update as always was easy but there is no Journal icon and doing a search doesn’t show it on my device. Yep, I even took the additional steps of shutting down and restarting my device. It says the update happened but I can’t find the journal.

I am not a resolution type making person but there will be some life style changes in 2024 for me. The most important one for me is to relax more. Not just the body but the mental side of things. I have been working on this on and off the last few months. I am a worrier and while I know we have been blessed, I still worry…
So I am going to be more active towards relaxation in 2024.

Last week while the son was here he showed me how to program the new music system I have in the lower level of the house, the outdoor entertainment spots and my lap pool. I have since been adjusting the play list for the pool, I need something that builds up to a steady beat to start out for 15-20 minutes, then a slight increase for another 15-20 with the last 15-20 minutes something that brings me back to smooth and steady. I had been swimming about a month without any music as the system I had died (20+ years) and I was finding myself cutting short the workouts. I have a pretty good selection of music tempos for when I walk my 2-3 miles every day. I use a very ancient IPod and wired headphones. I also was using it at my workbench plugged into a speaker system. But in November it stopped holding the charge for the 40-45 minutes it takes me for my walk. Plugged into the system on the bench it still works, so that’s where it stays now. Since the IPod will be passing on anytime now and since transferes from it are unavailable I have started uploading the Iphone as backup. I also for Christmas received a pair of wireless ear buds as there is no wire jack on the Iphone. So I have music again for my outdoor walks that because of the poor Fall/Winter weather are now at the treadmill.

Today is a day of being at the bench. I know the Wisconsin Badgers play in one of the 41 bowl games of the season around noon but I have no real interest. The only reason they got the New Year’s Day bowl game is because Badger fans travel very well. Plus Tampa, Florida is a nice distraction from the Wisconsin Winter.

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Happy New Years Day. Mostly cloudy and 30° here, only going to 47° as a cold front hit yesterday afternoon. The wind has died down, but shifted from the east, which usually brings rain which is in the forecast. However it won't reach freezing again until Thursday morning. That is what the NWS shows right now and we all know just how accurate they tend to be...not!

I managed to stay up until almost 10:00 pm last night, not intentionally but because we went out to eat at the local Italian eatery. They weren't real busy and indicated that they were closing early at 8:00. There was however a steady stream of customers coming for their to-go pizza orders. Lots of young cowgirls dressed in their tightest jeans and boots getting ready for the evening. I quit doing New Years Eve parties maybe 35 years ago when I decided that I wanted to avoid the wasted day after. My own tradition is that on New Years Day, today, instead of taking my daily walk up and down the road out front, I walk my property line instead. It's about 4000' around 15 acres. I've only missed it twice due to mud that I sank into up to my ankles. I have twice made the walk on top of 2"-3" of solid ice after an ice storm. Mostly it doesn't snow here until mid-January through early-March.

My New Years resolution this year is to live...

Yesterday turned out warmer than the forecast, the second shorts and tee shirt day in a row. I cut up another week's worth of next season's firewood but I haven't stacked it yet.

I finished up the mobile home yesterday out in the train shed.
IMG_1200.JPG

Besides the roof details and skirting, I did have to add a base to the steps to get them to the proper height. They still seem a bit low, but I can add another scale 8" base step. I'll wait and see what the residents think.
IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

Well, almost finished. I still need to paint and mount the propane tanks.
IMG_1204.001.JPG

Alan - Interesting that I don't get political E-Mails asking for money. Most of mine are from McAfee/Norton, which my spam filter can't stop despite marking them all as such. My political requests come via text messages, all addressed to the former owner of my cell phone number.
Even though I don't model any passenger trains, I am enjoying your thread on passenger car modeling.
David - Regarding peculiar things, we certainly have them here in Texas. I imagine that you Brits would be shocked to see the number of folks walking around here with holsters/guns strapped to their waists.
Tom O - I wasn't watching the Dallas/Detroit game Saturday, but as I understand it, and replays have shown, three different Lions linemen walked up to the ref to talk, but not all three lined up in an eligible position. There's a lot of "he said" talk going around by both teams and the refs. According to the rules, the ref has to notify the defense if there is an eligible lineman on the field and the one who caught the pass was not the one that was identified to the defense. Not that it matters much to me, but my wife is happy that her team won, and we all know the expression about a happy wife... When do you think that they'll start to wear "body-cams"?
Grizz - Neat pictures of the wood-sheathed boxcars.
I can relate to the land development being both good and evil. They first paved our road in 2000, sort of, tar and gravel. While it was great for those of us who lived here, it has led to much increased traffic; now up to 25-30 cars/day, more on school days.
Karl - I do have to marvel that folks like you and Tom O, have LHS's that are open on Sunday. Never in Texas except for the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Once again, Happy New Year and have a great day.

Willie, most Mobile homes were permanently moored, and wouldn't have used those twin 30 pounders. They would have had a single horizontal tank, or pair of larger tanks placed on the off-door side of the trailer.
If you really want to be masochistic, maybe you could find a natural gas meter instead.

Happy New Year.

We were at my mom’s for dinner and playing some games. My sister and most of her family were there including her son in law sand daughter and grandkids — my mom’s great grandkids. My niece has been living at my mom’s and she was there and a male friend of hers came as well. He had to leave early but he was very nice.

We played “Sushi Go Party” to start. Then an expanded version of Clue called Clue: Detectives or something like that. Clue with extra rooms, people, and weapons, and a couple new features. I didn’t win but was close. I had the room and weapon and one of two people when my other niece made the accusation and one. I probably would have made an accusation on my next turn.

we finished with Pit for 45 min.

wife and daughter left before the son and I. I get home and the wife tells me there was a hug New Years Day earthquake in Japan. Not near her family residences though they did feel something. Luckily the damage was not great and the Tsunami (multiple waves worth) not more than about a meter.

my mom just called a short while ago saying my nephew’s truck, which actually belongs to his brother in law, for whom he works (dad of my mom’s grandkids above), was hit and probably totaled around 3:45am or so. This is a quiet suburban residential street. He was supposed to take the truck to college, his first day, this week. My mom was seeing if we could let them have or use the Honda Fit my son has been using as he won’t be driving for a couple years. Today is his first day of Home MTC. MTC stands for Missionary Training Center. He does this at home for about 9 days and then moves down to Provo to the actual MTC facility for onsite training. Since he is going to Japan and learning a language this phase is about 2 months. So he won’t need the car. It was my dad’s car before he stopped driving and he sold it to us for $1. We were hoping my daughter, who’ll be driving sometime soon, would use it but maybe the nephew needs it more right now. We’ll see. They’re supposed to come over for half a day today to help work on the house.

I’ve been burned out but slogging forward on the house. Today we have a chimney pipe to put through the roof of the enclosed patio. Want to get that done before they put the finished roof on that (rest of the house was done in August). It’s for a pizza oven, which may never happen but is planned for when we can afford it. Originally scheduled as part of the house build. I don’t want to have to deal with the chimney pipe at a later date through a finished roof.

we need to fix a few small pieces of framing (around a tub and a small enclosure around some ducts) so the drywall guys can finish the hanging phase. They’re almost done.

and I need to finally finish the initial control wiring for the heating so we can get heat in the house for the mud and taping.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those who went to bed early

It's Troy again... Wife still has a mild head cold. I slept in the basement, trying to not play rotating sickness. Let's just say that I'm still waiting on my Christmas present ;) due to me catching a cold bug, and now her.

I set the trash bin out yesterday, just in case the trash was rolling today. Last year it did roll. This year, the bin is still full... They generally operate on the same schedule as the city's trash pickup holidays. We've got a private contract for the condo community. And, because it's a community contract, individuals don't get notice of holiday interrupts.

I finally ate the last two pieces of blueberry cheesecake from the family gathering. Tonight we've got leftover pizza.

I'm back to working on the next audiobook production with the paid-for AI service. It takes about two hours per chapter. But I'm getting faster. The main thing is assigning voices to each line of dialogue. The bench of potential voices isn't deep, as most are variations of the main 6 voice actors the company paid to lend their voices. There are ways to play in the AI to get "newer" versions of the same voices... but it cost credits, and it's very hit or miss (mostly miss) on whether that voice will work for one of the characters.

NO, I am not recording my own voice. Audiobook listeners keep giving me feedback on how the AI sounds. They are pushing for quality, not nostalgia.

Tomorrow I get my eyes dilated, and the wife will have to do the driving after that late afternoon appointment. Wonder where she's taking me for dinner?

I was here just last year, place hasn't changed much.

Happy New Year. I went to bed about 2230, but was roused at midnight by a lot of artillery shells going off all around the neighborhood.

Willie - question. I received a Salena's Tavern for Christmas. I have other kits open and need to finish before starting Salena's. The question is, can the stairway be placed on either side of the building. It seems most all building kits set the staircase to the right side as you look at the building. I have been eyeing a couple of Downtown Deco kits, but the staircases are all on the same side.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back