Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

First 'after' photo featuring an 18 foot boxcar.-
18 footer (2).jpg

By the way, that is the last Dunkirk made by the company. Virtually impossible to get. This leads me to say that everything you see in these photos is for sale. ie. The whole layout goes to the first person who comes by my house! $1000 including shipping otherwise. Just saying.

Last edited:
The fate of the loco, because no one wanted it, has been sacrificed for the good of the layout. It is a story of erosion, bad roadway planning, and any number of more errors. And yes, the loco is destroyed never to run again!View attachment 151662View attachment 151663
In NZ Jim, they dumped some of the first steam locos they got from the US (Rogers 2-4-2's) into river banks to protect them from erosion in the South Island. 2 have been recovered and restored some years ago now. I believe another has also been recovered but have not heard anything about progress. They were classed as K's 88 and 92
The video finishes up with a later one featuring 2of the 1939 and 1940 production Ka's, 2nd in the line K, Ka, Kb on a fan trip. I make no apologies for the leaving the latter inclusion, those classes being my favorites. Now, let's hear no more about your loco's claimed demise "We can rebuild him" (at a much less cost than $6,000,000 surely)
Why the fledgeling NZR acquired the Rogers is said to be that it came about because of the "Pom's" (Brit's to those unused to South Pacific British colony's slang) belief that they could build better steam engines than anyone else and they would decide the specifications. The NZR mainline's bridges at the time could not carry more than a 10 Ton axle load. When the loco's were delivered all the way to NZ, it was found they were well over that limit. Because that would have meant replacing every bridge, they were sent back (no info on who paid s'far as I can see) and they turned to the US makers. Hence the Rogers.
P.S. There are photos somewhere of the recoveries of 88&92 and your loco is in far better condition than them.

Last edited:
In NZ Jim, they dumped some of the first steam locos they got from the US (Rogers 2-4-2's) into river banks to protect them from erosion in the South Island. 2 have been recovered and restored some years ago now. I believe another has also been recovered but have not heard anything about progress. They were classed as K's 88 and 92
The video finishes up with a later one featuring 2of the 1939 and 1940 production Ka's, 2nd in the line K, Ka, Kb on a fan trip. I make no apologies for the leaving the latter inclusion, those classes being my favorites. Now, let's hear no more about your loco's claimed demise "We can rebuild him" (at a much less cost than $6,000,000 surely)
Why the fledgeling NZR acquired the Rogers is said to be that it came about because of the "Pom's" (Brit's to those unused to South Pacific British colony's slang) belief that they could build better steam engines than anyone else and they would decide the specifications. The NZR mainline's bridges at the time could not carry more than a 10 Ton axle load. When the loco's were delivered all the way to NZ, it was found they were well over that limit. Because that would have meant replacing every bridge, they were sent back (no info on who paid s'far as I can see) and they turned to the US makers. Hence the Rogers.
P.S. There are photos somewhere of the recoveries of 88&92 and your loco is in far better condition than them.
Thanks Toot, good to find out you are still alive!

HO Explorer, any tips on getting a patina finish on a roof (re my station)?
I've had great luck with simple construction paper we used as kids in grade school. Black is my favorite because it fads to a great patina. Go to Michael's and buy some. Green should fade as well. If you can borrow some black make up from someone you can dust it on with their brush for a nice finish. Try on a scrap piece first.

I've had great luck with simple construction paper we used as kids in grade school. Black is my favorite because it fads to a great patina. Go to Michael's and buy some. Green should fade as well. If you can borrow some black make up from someone you can dust it on with their brush for a nice finish. Try on a scrap piece first.
thank you ! Great idea if my paint doesnt work out

Heads up, last days of this layout. Tearing it down this weekend. If you want it come pick it up. I will probably save the trees for sale.

EDIT: Too late the layout is torn down. If anyone wants the trees, $110 shipping included. Great for On30 or HO.

Last edited:
This is my opening thread on the PCM&T. It is a small mining layout in SE Alaska up one of the fjords. It is October 1931. Shown is the woodworking being done over my old N scale layout. This layout will have three levels. The highest level will be reached by a switchback. There will be two mines, a logging camp and a 'Dolley Varden-type' ore tipple. Comments are appreciated. Jim:)

View attachment 17849

Folks during the life of this thread many pictures where lost do to mismanagement at Photobucket. I got most of them back and the first third of this site seems to have smaller photos. CLICK on them to enlarge. Learn and enjoy, Jim June 1, 2019 photobucket is at it again trying gouge ever dime they can from us. Now you will see a photobucket watermark on photos they say they own. DON'T EVER USE THEIR SERVICE. It is in no way a service.
Airbrush, Keep going regardless of your scale. All scales are within and there is a reason this is largest railroad thread in the world with over 1.2 million hits.

Last edited:

Back