Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one else here notice that Model Railroader magazine shrunk this year. Something felt different with the last few issues, and sure enough I took time to actually check. Between March and April 2020, they removed 8 pages, from 82 to 74 not counting covers. But they didn't reduce the price by 10%! Not that I thought they would. If I get really bored, I might see if it's advertising pages or modeling pages that disappeared.

It'll be a mix. Ad revenues dictate how large the magazine can be.

And, with their Trains.com subscription model being ramped up, I'm guessing that the parent company is switching its emphasis to an online experience with print as an adjunct source.

E5 Vs. PA1

The E5 is a brass model on Hobbytown drive. The PA1 is all Hobbytown which I painted for MKT. It's been many years since I worked on them, and I never converted them to DCC,

35721341756_81f48b7daf_b.jpg

Tom O .... Your history is interesting. We moved to Clarendon Hills, IL when I was 4 years old. I was born in Houston, TX, and we lived in Oak Ridge, TN before moving to IL. I are up in Clarendon Hills, IL, and I enjoyed watching Burlington trains from our house as I grew up. Currently, my wife and I have 5 adult children who have blessed us with 7 grandkids. They live in Grand Rapids, MI; New Baltimore, MI; near Cincinnati, OH; Tampa, FL, and Casa Grande, AZ. We are in western KY, and the closet distance is Cincinnati which is more than 300 miles.

Afternoon all,

While waiting for paint to dry, I started running trains. My E7's for some reason hate the 22" curves and I've found a couple of turnouts that needed adjusting. Still need to get the coupler boxes foxed, but they are all running better. The big issue I think is with the center wheels in the trucks not being flanged. I took some time to work my Athearn BB model of GN 707 which I believe is a GP9. After cleaning the steel wheels, lubricating and changing out the hook\horn couplers for Kadee#5s it runs very well and doesn't seem to have issue, I found the box it was in had the details for a GP35 which is a bigger unit. Would anyone happen to have the instructions\parts list for a GP9? You can text me. I think I can adapt some of the GP35 parts, but I know they're not all going to work. The downside of buying auction units. I did get the cab off so I can put some windows in it.

Many more old locos to get working. Pictures waiting until I return to the office as my internet is way too slow to upload anything more than text.

So far Vacay is OK. Truck goes in for an oil change tomorrow, and then I have a few other errands. I am planning more train time.

Any one else here notice that Model Railroader magazine shrunk this year. Something felt different with the last few issues, and sure enough I took time to actually check. Between March and April 2020, they removed 8 pages, from 82 to 74 not counting covers. But they didn't reduce the price by 10%! Not that I thought they would. If I get really bored, I might see if it's advertising pages or modeling pages that disappeared.
I was thinkin the same thing. Maybe they lost a few contributors to the election coverage? Also, I forgot to mention how good those pallets looked, and they were 4way!! In the late 60s-early 70s the sack sugar we hauled were on those 4 way pallets. They were called "Safeway" pallets as Safeway food stores required that type only.
And Sherrel, we too got 1/4" of rain Fri. nite. First rain since early June and today it got up to 48* here. Fire season seems to be over for this year.

I was thinkin the same thing. Maybe they lost a few contributors to the election coverage? Also, I forgot to mention how good those pallets looked, and they were 4way!! In the late 60s-early 70s the sack sugar we hauled were on those 4 way pallets. They were called "Safeway" pallets as Safeway food stores required that type only.
And Sherrel, we too got 1/4" of rain Fri. nite. First rain since early June and today it got up to 48* here. Fire season seems to be over for this year.

I noticed that too. I figured it had to do with a combination of COVID, the revamping of their online presence, etc.

Gave up on MRM years ago. Always revisiting the same layouts just because a piece of track was changed or a tree added. Always showing layouts that are in the transition era never anything modern, yet when anything modern comes out from the manufactures that is 80's (Chessie for example) to today it sells out fast. I'm sure there are layouts out there private or club that can be shown. They want to get youth into the hobby or buy there magazine they need to mix things up.
Rant over.

MR has been shrinking, RMC has been putting on the pages!

Coffee Flo!

Weather from the Fort today, courtesy WTF Weather app

IMG_2803.jpg

As for the # of pages of various magazines, I had an almost 20-year hiatus since this go at a model railroad and my last attempt. I was surprised at how many publications were online-only. But also how thin MRR seemed. I did subscribe to MRR and their Video+ service (Now Trains.com Video or such). I'm finding that the value of the video and online options make up for the smaller magazine

However, there is an increased cost. They have to host those videos, so there is the cost of production, cost of storage, and delivery costs (I assume bandwidth still costs them something, even though it's fairly cheap compared to days of old).

Publications have always had dueling income streams: Subscription income, and Advertising revenue. Most publications I'm aware of use the subscription model to pay for at least delivery. They also cover printing costs if they can with the subscription fees. The ad revenue is what they use to cover staff, and the cost of business.

So, if advertising revenue is down to covid, I'm not surprised that MRR is thinner.

OR, they may have diverted some of the ad revenue away from pages and into the online options. Old grognards who know everything probably don't need the online & video. ;) But, since I'm just starting out, I'm finding their how-to videos indispensable. I've watched most of the recent Canadian Canyon's project and hit a few of the earlier projects in spots for various techniques.

Fortunately, I've got a couple of journalism degrees under my belt and time in the newsroom. So I get rather geeky about the media industry. However, this is just my 2¢

I *almost* sent in my resume for MRR's latest job opening for a copy editor, but, Wife would have a hissy if I said we were moving north after we just moved back near the relatives. Best to keep her happy.

Good Morning gang!
B-E-A-utifil weather we're having, the HVAC did not kick on all night! Got a ton of yardwork done yesterday, even though SWMBO did pull something in her back, so she's a little grumpy, but this too shall pass.
Keep the pics coming gang! me Like!! ;) 😁
CR2049 008.JPG

A Tyco for Boris
Texas Specials.JPG

Lionel for Sherril ! 😁

Good morning all, fall is definitely here! Received a covering of snow yesterday morning, were there's shade, snow still resides. Need a lot of moisture in the western states this winter.
I do have a back issue of MR from Jan. '83 I had bought for the story of the layout in it, Alturas & Lone Pine. Not counting the covers, there are 186 pages. Dec. '20 issue MR, 74 pages not counting covers. How times have changed!
Everybody have a great day, here is a couple of photo's of an Ambroid kit, 70" pulpwood car---double kit--- I kitbashed one of the kits and made a couple of flat cars for my Pacific Lumber line.
IMG_20201106_004653374.jpg

IMG_20201106_142833608.jpg

IMG_20201106_142758359.jpg

IMG_20201106_142713367.jpg

BE SAFE!

Good Monday Morning to All. Cloudy and a warmish 65° this morning. Cool front coming in later today and at this time tomorrow, the forecast calls for 38°. Highs for the days are still remaining above the lower 70's. The weather geeks have now inserted a 75% chance of rain for Saturday morning, but the high is supposed to be 78°. That's pretty far off though! Enough of the weather for now.
I spent too much time on household chores yesterday. Now that my wife has fully recovered from the knee replacement surgery, she decided that a fall cleanup was necessary. Didn't even fill a plastic sack for the dumpster, but all of the ceiling fans in the house and all of the kitchen appliances got a thorough cleaning. Amazing how dirty the top of the refrigerator can get, since there are no cabinets above it. It's taller than either of us so we never see it.

Tall stack of blueberry pancakes and a plateful of sausage links for me today Flo.

Thanks folks for the likes and comments on the surgery pictures yesterday; Tom O, Jerry, Karl, Guy, Garry, Chet, Sherrel, Hughie, Ken, Phil, Curt, Patrick, Tom.

Sundays are generally off-days in the train shed and yesterday was no exception. While I did get out there, about all that I did was run trains, clean up some clutter and touch up the paint of some figures. Oh! I did glue some feed sacks to one of the pallets.
Here are the remaining pictures taken at the Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum. This is a different HO scale one than the one from last week.
IMG_4825.JPG

IMG_4826.JPG

That's the only club member (museum volunteer) that had showed up when we were there. There were five other paid (teens) employees manning the front desk, commissary, gift shop, and standing by to operate the outdoor rides.
IMG_4827.JPG

IMG_4828.JPG

IMG_4829.JPG

IMG_4830.JPG

IMG_4831.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG

Troy - Nice photo of the fall leaves yesterday.
Chet - Your snow pictures this fall always remind me why I don't live in Montana. While they are picturesque, they indicate cold temperatures.
Tom O - Yea, you're right about the body itself adjusting to the climate, but my mind never adjusts to sub-freezing temperatures and snow on the ground for months at a time. My three kids all got away as soon as they could. Wasn't weather related as they all moved to similar climates, two within 75 miles from us. It was the lure of big city life instead of rural isolation. My oldest daughters graduating class had 13 in it, 8 girls and 5 boys. Really difficult to date a kid that used to shoot you with spit-wads, pick his nose in class (and show it off), and pinch your butt when you were both in grade school.
Dave - Middlesex Mfg is a bit tricky with those large walls. You're coming along just fine though.
I had never heard that pallet design called "Safeway" pallets before, but here they were referred to as simply "grocery" pallets; standardized 40" x 48" four way pallets. We gave them away to a fellow with a pickup and trailer, who returned the favor by dropping off a twelve pack of Corona to my supervisor in charge. Didn't want any of the oddballs,, but I made him take them in return for not charging him for the ones that he wanted. Saved me the hassle of setting him up as a vendor with all of the insurance certificates and saved me money on disposal costs.
Jerry - The January issue of MR has traditionally been bigger over the years to get the interest of everyone who got trains for Christmas. We'll see if that still holds true in another month or so.

Everybody have a great day. Be safe and keep your distance and avoid being a statistic.

Morning! - A cold bubble is swinging in from the arctic this morning, cooling things off in our backyard considerably. Only 16°F this fine morning with only a 15% chance of snow. South of us is still getting hammered, though, and they'll be shoveling themselves out this morning. Another storm system is coming in from the north. That one probably won't pass us bye!
The birds are massing, and cleaning the last of the berries off the trees as they gather energy for the great migration:
Bohemian_11-08-2020 (1).jpg

Either the birds are smarter than me, or they've managed to save enough money to go where it's warm. It becomes apparent where the term 'Snowbirds' originated.

I've decided that I have too many R/C engines and plastic aircraft models, so I'll be writing a few Ebay ads today. Don't seem to have much interest in that kind of thing anymore. Perhaps I can reallocate any sale funds into an HO layout. - It's too hard to find a decent R/C flying field in boreal forest, anyway. Developers keep building new homes on any land the town gives us permission to use, so we never get to use that land for very long.

Wonderful layout, prototype, and modeling photos are being posted!! I sure hope that type of thing continues. Photos are the lure that brings me into the shop, along with fine coffee's and decent conversation.

Don't think I've posted this photo before. Perhaps similar photos, but, not this one:
StageCN_09-26-2020 (3).jpg

On the same day in the CN staging area, I also took this tank-car photo:
StageCN_09-26-2020.jpg

Neither photo is over interesting, but hey, I like posting photos.

Have a good one!

Greetings Model RR fans.... It's 42 degrees this morning - cold for me - and projected for 36 tonight which is pretty much "full blown" winter for this area. We had more or less spitting moisture most all day long with sunshine during the showers.
Total by the local service here was .53 inches for the two days which still leaves us .64 inches behind the average normal. At least I get to leave the yard sprinklers off for a week or so!

Hey FLO, how was your weekend? Things were full up for me yesterday with chores (as Curt calls them) Wife wanted to return the excess Halloween candy to Costco, but she gave up this time as she could not even get into the parking lot? She said that folks were parking out on the street and - of course - leaving carts in the street as well preventing others from parking there also.
How about a nice stack of blueberry flapjacks and a pile of bacon (big pile please).
Working on an old rolltop desk that has been in the wife's family for 105 years. It is a monster and with the several moves all over California since it's birth - it has several loose pieces and various screws missing. I gave it a once over yesterday and picked up a couple various glues and other stuff to pull it all back together again. I wish that this project had come up when the temp was warmer - it's located in the SIL's garage which has zero heat. I think I may wait a few days and see if it will warm up again in the near future. It's going to take a lot of clamping and we will see how some of these space age glues work in the colder temps?

KARL - Thanks for thee FA photo of the Lionel locos. I have an FA Texas Special but it is O - scale. I have to agree with you - The FA and PA units were better looking than La Grange put out - just too bad they did not have a better powerplant!
Willie - I really like those pallets - nice work.
TROY - The rain seemed to be a combination of all three varieties. Mostly never really hard, but every now and then it was like someone threw in a bucket full - then it would stop just as quick. Back in the early 90's we had a year where we received 2.5 times our "normal" water. There was a El Nino in effect and for about a six week period I have never seen that much water - it flooded the town and people were stranded everywhere.

Well - enough "jabbering" -- I better go do something!

Good Morning fellows, It is a nice crisp morning here in Montana. I have had several invites to come join you here at the coffee shop. I don't have any recent pictures but I have some of my old HOn3 layout before the move. It wasnt a grand size, but enough to keep me busy.

P8190080.JPG

Chet, Willie, GT et all: One final note on Jersey property taxes, we are assessed at 100% of full market value, and reassessed annually. They don't want to miss a single shekel. Now, there are some (legal) ways of reducing taxes, like the Veterans Credit, and Senior Tax Freeze, and I take advantage if them. Murphy apparently did away with the Homestead Credit, because I paid the full rate this year...another hidden increase. We cant go anywhere, until the MIL situation is resolved, so we live with it.

Boris :Part of the problem here is we have a school board that constantly (3-5 years ) is trying to get bonds passed . They tell the taxpayer that the bond wont affect their tax rate . They use either a delayed or exponential payback schedule , that keeps the payback down for the first three or four years so it looks like their getting free money . They don't publish the entire payback schedule on the bonds , just the first 3 years.

So they're not telling the taxpayer everything. Thats the main thing that rankles me.

The Senior School Tax ceiling used to be at age 59? its now 65.

Any one else here notice that Model Railroader magazine shrunk this year. Something felt different with the last few issues, and sure enough I took time to actually check. Between March and April 2020, they removed 8 pages, from 82 to 74 not counting covers. But they didn't reduce the price by 10%! Not

Willie: That's an industry wide problem , I used to take QST and it was shrunk about a year ago by about 10% . Paper magazines are pretty much on the way out . Printing /distribution costs , YouTube, and reduced subscription numbers. are driving them out. They don't pay the authors that much to begin with ,( QST ~$250 per article) , It makes more sense to distribute your article / info through a YouTube video. With the advent of YouTube paper mags no longer have an exclusive distribution channel for hobby information.

The only paper mag that I know of thats had any success in the last 20 years is Make...but in 2019 even they went from bi monthly to quarterly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back