What trains did you run today?

Going to run a unit coal train later today and give a couple of locomotives some exercise by pulling the train. The coal hoppers are heavy and each almost equals one normal NMRA weighted car.

That 0-8-0 that I installed DCC and sound in needs a break in run as well.

Greg

Stuck inside due to virus restrictions so decided to give my recently acquired Rivarossi Hudsons a run on the test track.

Milwaukee Road

Milwaukee Hudson.JPG

NYC Empire State Express livery

NYC Hudson.JPG

Just ran Zephyr 9900, post-war version with Mars light (ConCors rtr). DC only, but nobody really knows what the whistle sounded like. Ran Zephyr 9908, my kitbashed model. Again DC only. Headlight works, but the battery that powers the Mars light has finally given up the ghost. Can't remember how to get the body off, so I'll do without for now. BTW, #9908 was the last of the Burlington "shovel-noses", and the first to have an A-1-A power truck. Shovel nose put the crew too low in the event of a collision, as shown by several wrecks. Union finally got the cab moved higher with a nose projecting out in front, which is more familiar.

TLOC: Nice looking CN power running in Wisconsin and a nice looking layout. Living in Wisconsin, the CN trains can be heard from my driveway three miles away to the south when they hit their horns and the CN, which is less than 2 miles away to the west, I can hear the motive power shift notches up and down a slight grade. Once the tree get their leaves, its harder to hear the locomotives.

Don't keep other photos of your layout a secret.

Greg

TLOC: Nice looking CN power running in Wisconsin and a nice looking layout. Living in Wisconsin, the CN trains can be heard from my driveway three miles away to the south when they hit their horns and the CN, which is less than 2 miles away to the west, I can hear the motive power shift notches up and down a slight grade. Once the tree get their leaves, its harder to hear the locomotives.

Don't keep other photos of your layout a secret.

Greg

Thank you Greg. Still learning the forums and some do and dont’s. CN took over the Valley Sub from the WC in 2001 and the WC power was quickly replaced by the CN. I lived from 1976 to 2014 on Lake DuBay near the Knowlton Bridges and when the ice was on the lake you could hear the trains downshifting and couplers clacking almost anywhere. I loved the Milwaukee Road, disliked the Soo and of course the WC was outstanding. All during those 38 years you really never knew what would cross the bridges. My Knowlton Bridges will be in the left side of this picture.

TomO

In the LMX lead train above, I had one of the those old Walthers stack cars. Were you able to change the intermediate trucks to 36" wheels? I was looking at it but wasn't motivated enough yet to see if 36s would fit. I think the models came out about 1992 and haven't seen them since.

I have one of the Bowser SD40-2 in CP and it is the smoothest running locomotive I have. It looks like you are starting a yard there? 'Looking at the parallel pencil lines.

I'm running this engine. It was a recent purchase, and it's pretty stiff and noisy.
It's an Atlas MP15DC, and it's really kind of disappointing, since I have several Bachmann engines that run smoothly and quietly out of th ebox, without having to break-in.
20200405_124630[882].jpg

Usually the intermediate trucks on the prototype had 28" wheels, with 36" only on the coupler ends.
Some googling and found early double stack cars had 33" on the ends and 36" on the intermediates. Later they had 38" on the intermediates because of the weight. Spine cars usually had 33" throughout because an intermediate only carries half the weight as an intermediate on a double stack.

ATSF's Fuel Foiler, the 10 pack spine car for trailers had 28" wheels and some autoracks use 28s.

Last edited:
Some googling and found early double stack cars had 33" on the ends and 36" on the intermediates. Later they had 38" on the intermediates because of the weight. Spine cars usually had 33" throughout because an intermediate only carries half the weight as an intermediate on a double stack.

ATSF's Fuel Foiler, the 10 pack spine car for trailers had 28" wheels and some autoracks use 28s.
Then I stand corrected.

Back