Recent content by tomstockton

1. tomstockton

Model RR mags

A good portion of us "old guys" in our club have taken to DCC like ducks to water... unfortunately, I'm not a swimmer. Don't have my own DCC system at home, due to (a) waffling between systems, and (b) the cost of DCC compared to my fixed income. An informal club poll shows that for home...
  2. tomstockton

Tangent 86’ boxcar

It's a personal taste thing, but I generally do NOT care for modern-style graffiti, or "tagging". Not a problem for me, since time on my railroad stopped in May of 1972 - but I DO like the chalk-mark graffiti, when the graffiti was often done by the train crews marking notes on the car (move to...
  3. tomstockton

Model RR mags

Torn between DC and DCC... I have four engines equipped with DCC for use on the club layout, doubt I'll ever have the $$$$ to convert a good part of my DC engines to DCC. The four DCC engines I have are two I purchased, and two converted to DCC by a club member, for a very reasonable fee. (HO...
  4. tomstockton

Need help - selling the entire collection of trains, etc.

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's passing, and the loss of a fellow model railroader. I also lost my best friend, a fellow model railroader, about two years ago. We had an agreement that we would take care of disposing of our friend's collection should one of us pass away. Something we both...
  5. tomstockton

Cleaning metal out of files

Takes some time and a steady hand, but for those stubborn clumps, I've used the tip of an XActo #11 blade in a #1 handle to gently push out the "valley" the clumps are stuck in. So far for me (knock on wood), it's worked every time. I have a set of small jewelers' files I inherited from a late...
  6. tomstockton

Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Holy cow, that is one awesome "rust bucket"!! 😮
  7. tomstockton

Hand-brushing with Tru-Color Paint?

Thanks for the clarification. According to one of my best friends, IPA stands for India Pale Ale... and somehow, I couldn't picture shooting an ale through an airbrush! :p
  8. tomstockton

Is IPA another term for 99% isopropol alcohol?
  9. tomstockton

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that Tru-Color offers two different "kinds" of paint. I will need to do more research... Regards, Tom
  10. tomstockton

I'm considering an investment, to add Tru-Color Paint to my painting arsenal. There are times I like to hand-brush with paint; touch-up places, add weathering, etc. But I haven't found any comments on hand-brushing Tru-Color. Has anyone here ever hand-brushed Tru-Color Paint? And if so --...
  11. tomstockton

Coupler spring replacement

Re: using CA glue to hold the spring in place I don't recall where I saw it, but I recall a similar tip using Elmer's White Glue to hold one end of the spring... but let the Elmer's Glue dry before trying to attach the spring at the other end. When the first end has dried, then use the White...
  12. tomstockton

Mixing Vallejo paint

Smudge617, thanks for the tip on the agitator balls (and the pliers). I've ordered some of the stainless steel balls from Amazon and they should arrive tomorrow or the day after. Vallejo paints are fairly new to me. In my years of modelling, I've rarely run across a paint that didn't have a...
  13. tomstockton

Mixing Vallejo paint

Folks, how do you get the plastic nozzle off of a squeeze bottle of Vallejo paint so you can mix the paint inside? I've tried pulling on the spout, but my fingers keep slipping off. And I'm afraid to pry with a screwdriver or pull with pliers, because I don't want to damage the tip. Any...
  14. tomstockton

Finding who made an HO scale GE U-boat (B-B) with a Kato motor

Hello, folks. I am helping the family of my late best model railroading friend catalog and begin selling off his HO scale collection. Among this morning's finds was a GE U-boat (B-B) with a Kato motor. It is factory-decorated as PRR 2501, in black (Brunswick green?) livery. And I'm not...

Back