Recent content by SP4439

1. S

help gently massaging a pilot into place

Cal Scale makes a pilot that will work just fine for your big boy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cal-Scale-HO-296-Steam-Loco-Pilot-Commonwealth-w-Swing-Out-Dummy-Coupler-/380411809343?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item58924f8e3f
  2. S

Has model railroading ever gotten you into trouble?

When I spent 100 bucks on a plastic caboose.....
  3. S

help gently massaging a pilot into place

Is it brass? If so, heat is going to be about the best option. but the problem, is soldered on parts may fall off that are near there.
  4. S

Laying Peco code 55 track using caulk: problems

The trick is to spread the caulk really thin, almost transparent thin on the roadbed, then lay the track, and put weights on the track every foot or so to hold it down. I usually leave the weights on the track overnight.
  5. S

Train songs

Canadian Railroad Trilogy-Gordon Lightfoot A Man and A Train-Marty Robbins Emperor of the North theme song Let It Roll-Chuck Berry Southern Pacific-Neil Young Train Train-Blackfoot
  6. S

tooter goes big time...

Should add some wood brake shoes between the aluminum blocks and the steel wheels, A kalamazoo standard gauge speeder I use has wood shoes and works very well.
  7. S

Oops

I ALWAYS spray gloss coat between colors before masking, so the masking tape does NOT pull the paint, if anything it pulls up the clear coat.
  8. S

23 cars on a track that holds 22......

Not sure on the commodity of the cars, but customers often specify cars to be spotted in certain order, so there was most likely a need to do that "close clearance" move. With today's railroading rules, leaving cars "foul" is forbidden.
  9. S

Your railroad's story and history

My railroad is called the Mountain Pacific Railway Company. I have no location for the railroad, just that it is obviously on the west coast, and connects to the Southern Pacific, later Union Pacific. The railroad was incorporated and built in 1925, it has always been on a shoe string budget...
  10. S

Wpf 12/2-12/8

I think this is my first contribution to WPF. Just trying something different.
  11. S

Grade Crossing crossbuck w/lights

I am almost certain, that you can use NJ international signals with the MTH mechanism, just a matter of running the gate actuating cable down to the MTH boxes.
  12. S

Finally worked on N Scale Yellow Bonnets

Looks good! But by the time they got painted yellow, most railroads where removing the diaphragms from the F-units.
  13. S

Question on SP SD40T-2 and SP SD45T-2 lights

The red light was also an oscillating light. It's called a signal light, only lit up when brakes where in emergency. So if the brakes went in emergency on double track, it warned other trains that there could be derailment blocking the other track.
  14. S

Indian Valley Railroad (from STS): PICS!

Neat concept, and great car! Here is something you may find interesting. http://wplives.org/wprrhs/wphistory_subsidiaries/wphistory_iv.html
  15. S

EMD F7 lights?

For a short answer. On an EMD F unit, when there was two light housings, the lower light was the main headlight, on all the time when going forward. The upper housing was the Mars/Gyralight, used when going forward but at the discretion of the engineer and by rule also.

Back