Wpf 12/2-12/8

kjd

Go make something!
Like the song says, It's 5 o'clock somewhere! Of course when you don't have a job, it doesn't really matter.

Since I am sorta between gigs now, I went up to Lacey, WA, to see the Olympic Model Railroad Society's layout at the Thurston County Fairgrounds. Funnelfan invited me up from PDX and said to bring a train so I did. It is lead by a few locos unique to the Burlington Northern.

First and third out are a couple variants of GP39Es (E because it was rebuilt by EMD. BN also had GP39Ms but they were rebuilt by MK). The lead motor was rebuilt from a highnose GP30. It got a new cab and electricals and stuff. The third was also rebuilt by EMD but didn't get a new cab. The middle unit was one of the 120 B30-7As BN got in the early 1980s.

Here they are topping the grade at the top of the helix and later rolling along the Puget Sound at Steilacoom.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like a SLOW Weekend, so I'll Post a few of what I have been doing on the Seneca Lake, Ontario & Western...

About all I managed to have time to do this week is assemble a Steam Boiler for the Powerhouse on Bare Mountain. There will be 2 of these in the building to provide steam for the turbines and generators...

PowerHouseBoiler01w.png

A bit closer up (so I can see where I screwed it up.... Next one I will do better).

PowerHouseBoiler02w.png

The backside of it:

PowerHouseBoiler03w.png

It is not finished yet as there will be some weathering and rust added, lots of piping, and a ladder be able to get up to the valves up on top and for service.

Thanks for getting the thread started Paul!

Last edited by a moderator:
Continuing on from last week's attempts, my F7s still don't have Mars lights. :( The local-er LHS I found is quite small and didn't have any soldering irons whatsoever. Not wanting to leave empty handed I decided to add another engine to my flock, an Atlas N SD24 in high short hood guise-

SD24.jpg

I've always liked the smoother lines of the early short high hood Geeps, but until now I had no idea that the option existed for the bigger SD engines as well. A very welcome surprise. :)

I recently completed two more locomotives for the club I belong to, OMRS in Lacey, WA. I built the locomotives to be durable enough to be handled by our junior members, but detailed enough to look good in photographs. Internally the locomotives have a upgraded Athearn motor with hex drives, NCE decoder and LED lighting. Externally I've body mounted the couplers and filled in the holes on the pilots. I've added a plow, brass wire MU hoses, wire cut levers, metal sunshades, metal firecracker antenna. For durability reasons I've used the old Athearn metal handrail sets. I finished by adding various decals to the Athearn paint job, did a little detail painting, and some light weathering. These two units are built to provide many years of rugged service, much like their prototype.

attachment.php

Back