Recent content by screen48

1. S

Remembering...

You grew up in an era when the railroad meant so much to a small town. I was born in 1948 and here in Sterling, IL we had the CB&Q and C&NW with many freight sidings to all the manufacturing that was once here. The Steel mill used steam until 1983. As a child we rode the train to Chicago and...
  2. S

The Steel Modeler's Thread

I was a foreman in a steel mill so this thread should be interesting. I will have to dig up some pics.
  3. S

Ho or N scale?

That is why you involve your children and if you have any, grandchildren. A layout is never finished so with their help and interest they can continue your vision.
  4. S

Ho or N scale?

jdetray is right on but you must remember that when you have the same layout size or footprint that N will be more expensive. On the same layout size with N you will buy more track, scenery, buildings, rolling stock(for those 40 car trains were HO will be about 20), Engines etc... Where you...
  5. S

Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

A side story on language: My daughter(a grade school teacher 3rd) and her friend (A high school Spanish and French teacher) went to Chicago to do some shopping. That evening after a long day they stopped for supper and drinks at a favorite place. At the table behind them were two good looking...
  6. S

Old magazines: what to do with them?

I tear out the articles and file them and toss the rest.
  7. S

My daughter now 35, when she was in third grade came home and told me if I wanted her to do something she didn't want to do, I could not make her. I asked why and she said the teacher told the class to call 911. She is a teacher today and payback is a *****.
  8. S

Sandy - Yah it really throws you when you go down town for the Alamo. not remote and as big as the John Wayne move. Then cross the street and down the steps to the river walk. Did you walk west to the street markets?
  9. S

Clear Coat That Doesn't Make Pastel Chalk Dissappear

Many years ago (40) the wife and I were on our first vacation and an artist did a chalk of my bride at the Dells. Afterwords he sprayed it with arrisall hair spray and when it dries flat clear. All these many years later it still looks like new and no yellowing.
  10. S

Workahaulick!!!!!!!!!!
  11. S

LTD - LOL My girlfriend (now my wife) lent me her Dads new 66 LTD our senior year and I proceeded to sideswipe a C&NW railroad pickup. Much damage to the pickup but the LTD only had scratches. Yes a tank. I also got my first speeding ticket in that car. We won't talk about what else I did in...
  12. S

Cars Ahy! First (co signed by Dad) was a 61 Impala Black/red with a 409 four speed. Traded it off for a 66 fairlane 500 when I got married in 69 to save gas and tires but that lasted 6 months so I got a new 70 Nova 396 SS and had that until the babies started coming in 74. AH! the good old days...
  13. S

Are these HO scale?

The truck would work if it was back of the layout like some use N on HO to give a distant perspective. The loader would make a nice toy for a child.
  14. S

When is your LHS open?

One LHS is 35 min. away. It is in a store 40X40 fully stocked, built attached to his home. The front yard is a restored caboose. He works in a local plant full time and the store hours are 3:30(when he get off) till 9pm. T-F. 10 am - 3pm Sat and noon - 3pm. Sun. He offers 20% off all purchases...

Back