Recent content by Rotorranch

1. Rotorranch

Atlas N scale U25B Shell removal

Thanks for the tips! The shell came off undamaged using the method shown in the video. By wiggling the board a little to the left, the loco ran fine. But wiggling the board to the right, and the loco stopped. I split the frame and looked the board over, and I noticed that the trace for the...
  2. Rotorranch

Atlas N scale U25B Shell removal

The Kid has a newer release Atlas U25B w/Lenz decoder. It quit running, but the lights still power on. From what I've read, it sounds like the decoder isn't making contact to the motor. So the question is, how do I remove the shell on this little loco? (Darn N scale stuff is too small for my...
  3. Rotorranch

Age of your layout?

1)How long have you had/been building/operating/etc your current layout? Right now, the main part of my layout was built in 1970 or 71. I replaced all the track and added cork roadbed, and a framework for the plywood in 1993 when I rescued the layout from my parents basement where it had been...
  4. Rotorranch

Can anything be built in a 26"X72" space

54.375% to be exact. Rotor
  5. Rotorranch

uncoupling?

Pretty much all the uncouplers mentioned above work fine. But you can't just stop your train and uncouple it. It will require just slightly backing the train to take the load off the couplers, then pulling forward, leaving the uncoupled car sitting over the uncoupler magnet. The magnet bars...
  6. Rotorranch

Proto Type Rails(Weird)

Weight does not scale directly linearly, as do size and distance. It's a different equation that I don't remember offhand, but something that do know to be fact. I think the 87 cubed used in the example gets close though. Rotor
  7. Rotorranch

To strip or not to strip??

I'd heard that too...but haven't tried it. I think I read the 91% rubbing alcohol was used succesfully on Kato's by some of the painter guys. I was just throwing some of the things I've used for stripping paint. Rotor
  8. Rotorranch

Weathering...

Not often someone says I inspire them! :D Airslide... I haven't checked out the tours, and I should. I've heard there are a couple nice layouts around here. And I probably won't be able to do the tours this year, as I'm in the process of opening a new slot car center/ hobby shop in PTC...
  9. Rotorranch

Waste Glass as a load

glass cullet pics I found a few pics of glass cullet on the net. Rotor
  10. Rotorranch

To strip or not to strip??

STRIP IT! Like espee says, the relief of the lettering can show through the paint, particularly if you spary thin coats (as you should). I've used Kresto Painters hand cleaner, 91% rubbing alcohol, Easy Off Oven cleaner (original formula), and even brake fluid to strip paint. Kresto and...
  11. Rotorranch

Painting with Brushes

You can get something like a Badger 250 mini spray gun for around $25, and use a can of Propel compressed air to power it. You'll use less material, and have better results than brush painting. Less material = money saved. So the few bucks you spend on the air brush will save you money in the...
  12. Rotorranch

Proto Type Rails(Weird)

I have a few ancient Athearn cars that have sprung trucks... they derail worse than my non-sprung trucks, so I don't think thats the problem. The issue is "scale"... A few inches in 1:1 scale is a few hundredths of an inch in HO. That means smaller acceptable tolerances for HO scale than 1:1...
  13. Rotorranch

Weathering...

Here's my first attempt at weathering rail. This is for my photo set/diorama/display board I've been working on for the last couple days. I still have to do the ballast and ground cover, and I want to work on the ties some more, and also do the tie plates. Rotor
  14. Rotorranch

Wpf 10/14 - 10/20

I've been working on a photo scene/diorama/display board. I'm about ready to do ballast and ground cover. Rotor
  15. Rotorranch

Ballst First or Ground Cover?

What do y'all do first? Ballast, or ground cover? I'm building a photo set/diorama/display board, and I'm at the point where I need do to ballast and ground cover. Rotor

Back