Recent content by photoman475

1. P

Favorite Locomotive

My favorite is a Bowser H16-44 with a metal body and an old Athearn drive. Pulls like a son of a gun and is noisy enough without all that DCC stuff in it.
  2. P

How Finished is Your Model Railroad Layout?

RBMNfan: it's not just the money thing, it's the way the whole hobby has been going. It's all ready to run, high tech gizmos and extreme detailing. Why do I need every bit of brake line piping detailed on a box car model that now costs so much I don't dare put it on my layout because if it...
  3. P

How Finished is Your Model Railroad Layout?

I got my current layout in 2003 from an estate, moved it to my house in 2004 due to health problems. I made fine progress on it for about one year and then lost the job I had then. I ended up working mostly night shift for the next 3 years and did nothing on the layout. It's been an on-again...
  4. P

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

I used 2" pink foam as the base for my bench work on an small expansion project. NEVER again! While it was nice and easy to cut, it was much longer to deal with the track work after the foam went in. It's ok for making mountain scenery on top of plywood.
  5. P

Spud Valley Show, Oct. 18, from 9-3

I had a table and was selling some excess equipment. I decided to do some downsizing as I've realized that while I have club quantity equipment, I'll never have the space for a club size layout. Since I was selling, sorry, I didn't take any photos.
  6. P

Milwaukee & Western Alco RS-11/Baldwin VO-1000...

Milwaukee Road 113: I like your work, especially since I can't do anything like that and have it look decent. When you get a chance, look up the ATSF's Beep. It was the prototype for what became the CF7 program. The Cleburne shops took a Baldwin switcher and removed the Baldwin power...
  7. P

So, am I missing something here?

Those are hose bridges. They are used when a street or road has to be open to emergency traffic-like ambulances. They allow pressure and water flow to be maintained in the hose during fire fighting operations. They are particularly useful in pumper relay situations. Alan
  8. P

Spud Valley Show, Oct. 18, from 9-3

This Sunday at the Fargo Ramada Inn, 42nd Street South and 17th Avenue South in Fargo, N.D. It will be located in the Crystal Ballroom. The annual model railroad swap session and plastic display show with a local plastic modeler's club. There are supposed to be several operating layouts on...
  9. P

Modeling the PRR

Well, what I'm using, if this question is directed to me, is that I have been modeling the late 1960s-early 1970s, with a cutoff date of 03/31/1976. So my cars are going to be built from the late 1930s on, with whatever paint scheme the car was wearing in my time period. I've been off the...
  10. P

HO Heavyweights?

You might also want to consider the old AHM/IHC/Rivarossi heavyweights. They did some up in the MILW orange and maroon. They have their problems, but for a less expensive alternative, worth considering.
  11. P

Conrail Rolling Stock

This site might be able to answer some questions: http://thecrhs.org/ConrailPhotos
  12. P

Mines...

I'm thinking eastern U.S. and not the western or Midwestern U.S. The train on the trestle is most likely mining cars, bringing the coal up from the mine. These facilities are for an underground mine. While I'm not certain, I think the upside down triangle is part of a breaker. The entire...
  13. P

N-scale PRR Erie Built

If I modeled in N I'd take that loco in a heartbeat. You did just fine working with what you had available. Complainers about your loco and doodlebug need to be sent to the rivet counting room!
  14. P

Freight car design....

Iron Horseman: The ATSF used Allied trucks on those cars. And if the car is painted a shade of Pullman or olive green, that would also be right.
  15. P

Mines...

Judging from the vehicles, a late 1950s photo of a coal mine's loading facilities. Where the photo was taken is another question; any idea who the photographer is?

Back