Recent content by PatOC

1. PatOC

What about Dual Mode Marker Lights ??

Eric - thanks again, this is great information. One other question: where do you (or anyone else) buy your resistors from? My local hobby, model railroading stores and Radio Shack do not carry any, and the one time I ordered some online they turned out to be the tiny wafer-like squares...
  2. PatOC

Eric- thank you for the informative reply, that's exactly what I need to know. My layout is pretty small so I'm pretty confident I am getting 12 volts consistently across it. Can you tell me how you were able to calculate 820 and 680 ohms? Every calculator I've looked at online confuses me...
  3. PatOC

resistor to use Fellas - I am also in the process of trying to add the same marker lights to a heavyweight I custom painted and decaled and found your discussion. My question is: what size resistor would be most suitable? Having fried one light already, I'm wary of experimenting too much...
  4. PatOC

problem soldering lighting kit in Walther's car

thanks and two more follow-up Qs Fellas - thanks for all the ideas and replies. Believe it or not, I am re-visiting this post 2.5 years later as I'm getting back into model railroading after a brief hiatus and am resuming detailing my Walthers Super Chief passenger cars. Andy - thanks for...
  5. PatOC

Hi Rock Island and Ray - thanks for your replies. I'm using the Miniatronics lighting kit instead of the Walthers (the one you show Rock) because I like the look of it much better. It looks much more realistic and lights the interior much better in my opinion. Ray - I think you are right...
  6. PatOC

Hi everyone - I'm hoping someone can help me with a soldering problem I'm having. I'm attempting to add a Miniatronics lighting kit to a Walther's Super Chief dining car. The light is easy enough to apply to the roof of the car with the double-backed adhesive provided. But I'm having trouble...
  7. PatOC

Tomar industries drumheads

Hi NYSW S45 - I was looking for posts about the Tomar drumheads and found yours. Did you decide to try one out? If so, what do you think? I'm thinking of getting both a Santa Fe Super Chief and also trying to create a custom one for a railroad I'm building, much like you. I read about them...
  8. PatOC

Advice on lighting a Walthers car

Jim - thanks for you reply. You were right, a few coats of black seems to have fixed my light leak problem. As for the pickup shoes, I understand better how they're supposed to work but I think I'll hold off. Like you say, my current temporary track layout is not the greatest. And being so...
  9. PatOC

Advice on lighting a Walthers car

Good morning fellas - hoping someone can give some advice on the following questions just to save me a bit of time: 1) I'm trying to install Miniatronics lighting kit 100-ICL-01 in a Walthers Santa Fe car 932-6842. The lights look great, but shine through the thin roof of the car. I tried...
  10. PatOC

SuperChief car recommendations?

Jim - thanks for your time and expertise. Funny you mention needing the A-B-B-A set to be authentic. I bought a picture book on the Super Chiefs and noticed the same thing. I think I'll put my $ toward building my layout for the time being and worry about being 100% authentic later! Thanks...
  11. PatOC

SuperChief car recommendations?

Hi - do any of you have an opinion on good cars for a Santa Fe Chief/SuperChief layout? I'm aware that Walther's sells a set but I read elsewhere that they're not the greatest (I should mention that the poster was comparing them to Broadway Limited's Zephyr cars). It looks like ConCor has some...
  12. PatOC

Compressor?

scuba tank Just to chime in - I used to be an avid scuba diver (still do, just not as much). My airbrush runs right off one of my steel 90 tanks. Not as dry as CO2 but it's nice and quiet and lasts a long time. I get pretty good results from it. -Pat
  13. PatOC

Want to start custom painting locos and stock

thanks! Fellas - thanks so much for the quick replies and for sharing your knowledge. I'm twice as excited about getting into the hobby knowing that not only can I customize my layout and structures, but my trains as well! -Pat
  14. PatOC

Want to start custom painting locos and stock

Hi all - First off, I can't believe what a gold mine I've stumbled onto with this site. No wonder it's after 11PM on a Sunday and I'm still up reading all the posts! Quick background: I've been an avid plastic modeler for several years and have gotten fairly adept at painting and weathering...

Back