Recent content by Mud Pie

1. M

another delay on the layout

Time heals, the layout will still be there and you'll enjoy it even more when you get back to it. Just remember, you're lucky, as it's always better to look at an unfinished layout than to never be able to see it again (if you get my drift..)
  2. M

Portable Layout Begun !

Here's what I've found out so far. My portable idea is working out great. What I've learned about "lightweight" is increased noise. When I had it sitting on my desk return (formica covered, both sides, 1" thick particle board), my trains ran almost silently if I had the sound decoder off...
  3. M

How to stick with one era?

A guy I work with is a model railroaders wet dream. He and his wife have no kids, but they bought a 3 bedroom house; 2 rooms specified JUST for his HO layout !! He is cutting a "tunnel" in one wall so his layout can continue into the other room. When I got back into model trains, I naturally...
  4. M

Portable Layout Begun !

Been thinking about that....one wall of my "indoor man cave" (what my wife calls it. Let's face it, using your garage, in Texas, as a Man Cave is pure insanity !!) is totally free of anything. I can make a storage mount/bracket and hang the layout lengthwise on the wall. Would that be known...
  5. M

Finally got a Hobby Lobby in town.

I'm not allowed in Hobby Lobby anymore. The store didn't ban me; my wife did. Hobby Town soon to follow.
  6. M

Portable Layout Begun !

After my wife suggested I get my N Scale layout off the return of my desk and "put it on a piece of wood or something", yesterday I began doing just such. I wanted it lightweight so I could lay it out and put it aside as needed. I wanted it sturdy, but not "throw your back out" sturdy. Being...
  7. M

Hello from an old newbie !

Being I'm going somewhat small in layout size (4'x6'), my plan is to have it portable. Not in portable as in take it somewhere, portable as in putting it off to the side when not in use. I'm going to make it so I can rest/hang it flat against the wall on wall-mounted L brackets, and put it on...
  8. M

FM C liner- Pictures, at best, would be laughable at this point. I currently have my "layout", if you will, on my desk return. I set up the Manning Oaks layout from Katousa's web site using Unitrack. There is nothing else; no scenery, nothing. Just track and trains. I have three Kato...
  9. M

Thanks for the welcome, everyone !! I got the nickname Mud Pie a loooong time ago (back in 1975 or so), and I can guarantee it's not from what you think !! LOL I don't know if it's appropriate to discuss "how'd you get your screen name" in this thread, so I won't get into it...
  10. M

I've had model trains since, well, before I was born. My mom (not my dad, kinda "odd", especially "way back then") was the one into model trains. I believe she made her first layout in the late 1950's. I was born in 1961. Our two car garage was converted into "Mommy's Train Room" to the...

Back