Recent content by malletman

1. malletman

And for something totally different and seldom seen, American OO trains

They really were Rico. There was an article on the line years ago in Classic Toy Trains called "Lionel OO, To Little-To Early" Its been speculated that had WWII not happened and had Lionel pushed a bit harder to expand the line beyond 1 locomotive type and 4 basic freight cars, things might...
  2. malletman

And for something totally different and seldom seen, American OO trains

Back in the years just before WWII, there were two smaller scale competing for the smaller than O scale market. One was HO, the other was OO, which is a tad larger at 1:76th scale. But you might say "wait a min, the UK still uses OO", and they do, but its running on the wrong gauge track...
  3. malletman

Lionel Continues to Expand it's HO Line!

Atleast the old Mantua stuff is proven technology, but its dated, very dated. Lionel needs to go jump in the deep end and develop their own designs and not rely on old designs from companies they buy up. Time to step up to the plate. They have done in the distant past, starting with thumbing...
  4. malletman

Making sense with proto freelancing, found my motive power

For some time now, I have been planning a small proto freelanced shortline set in north central Indiana. But finding the right "dirt cheap" motive power has been a challenge for me. I have bought and resold several engines as at first they seemed like a good fit, but then I didn't get that...
  5. malletman

Layout design challenge for a micro layout

While I can rehab old brass locomotives and build kits to my heart's content. Designing a track plan/scenery plan is something I struggle with. Layout space is 55" by 33" with a tight radius loop of track. Either Atlas Snap or Kato Unitrack in HO scale. Motive power is a lone ex SP Alco...
  6. malletman

How about some OO, and no, not the UK stuff

Here is another video of the Hudson running.
  7. malletman

Question about Flyer S scale 2 rail v Lionel O scale 3 rail

Your very welcome! Lionel's big push with 3 rail was that is simplified wiring, allowed triggering of track side accessories much easier than Flyers's 2 rail set up. With the advant of blackened center rails or even Lionel's Super O made in the 1960's, the center rail become much less...
  8. malletman

The fun began after a road trip up north to buy some 3 rail Lionel track for this train. Now we are going in circles and filling the room with ozone!! Had a few teething issues, you can see the sparks from the pilot truck/crosshead area. This normally does not touch, but I found a wheel loose...
  9. malletman

outside 3rd wasnt common in OO from my reading. But was popular in O gauge, especially before WWII.
  10. malletman

Nice pics, I used the first Hudson I got and posted above as a parts donor(for now, she will rise again) to bring this full scale version back to life. Basicly a mini 700e(Lionels crown jewel). A NYC J1e Hudson in full scale, first in O gauge in 1937, then in OO in 1938 thru 1942. Hard to...
  11. malletman

Lionel Continues to Expand it's HO Line!

I believe Lionel got the rights to the Mantua line a few months ago. Should give them a good footing to make a serious start in HO scale. They have the chance here to reclaim the spot that Athearn used to hold. Those were the "goto" trains, along with Mantua for entry level modelers for...
  12. malletman

American OO scale trains

Looking for American OO scale trains(NOT British OO gauge on HO track). These trains run on 3/4 inch wide track and are larger than HO scale. Brands such as Scale-Craft/Scale Models, Nason, Lionel, Schorr, Kemtron, Picard and others. If you have an odd piece or two of these old trains...
  13. malletman

Track for 3 rail layout

For brand new track, Atlas O is about the most realistic. For older track, Super O made by Lionel many years ago and findable on ebay is even more realistic IMHO. The thin blade style center rail is much more invisable than any blackened rail. But use whatever is best for you. The ballest...
  14. malletman

Question about Flyer S scale 2 rail v Lionel O scale 3 rail

Atlas is nice stuff, would have loved to seen a more narrow center rail like Super O had, Much much more invisible than a standard size rail, blackened or not. One nice thing about Atlas, the ties are UV proof like my LGB G scale track. So it can be used outdoors on garden railways if one...
  15. malletman

Outline?

No outline either. I work, on what I am in the mood to do or having money/material on hand. I have a plan in mind and a vision of what I wish to achieve, as do we all most likely. In past HO railways that were more for "operation", I would develope a back story as to why the railroad exhisted...

Back