Recent content by ianc

1. I

Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Say, there's a thought! How about a part of the Panama Canal RR? Either the Colon or Balboa end would be doable. You could model it ca 1855, when it opened, or, even better, during the construction of the canal, which saw the RR move men, equipment, supplies, and hundreds of millions of cubic...
  2. I

How about a logging set-up from the Northwest, with maybe a line or two up into the mountains, or a wet sort, and a main line to get the logs to the mill? All interesting stuff. The PGE, here in BC, was used for that. They brought the logs down with a Lidgerwood skidder, sorted them in lakes...
  3. I

The Saanich Peninsula

The base paint is on. The roads are still not done: I decided to get them on and then finish them all at once. I'm using picture matte for the roads, cut into strips. I haven't accomplished much: this is a busy time of your for musicians, even amateurs. The concert band in which I play and MC...
  4. I

New Layout for LASM

Masonite is a trade name for hardboard. Widely used for interior doors. 4.8 mm Masonite will take a dry curve of 450 mm. (1/4" and 18") Wet, you can get it down to half that. Formica would be pretty expensive.
  5. I

The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

Yep. I looked at what they'd done, and it amounts to fixing the most egregious errors in Windows 8. It's still a piece of crapware. I'll use Windows 7 until Microtheft figures out a way to remove it from my computer, and then I'll go to Linux.
  6. I

There were lots of narrow gauge in BC, mostly serving mines. One of the last to run was the Leonora and Mt. Sicker Railway, which was about 15 km long. It ran through interesting topography on Vancouver Island, from Mt Sicker, through what is now Duncan to Crofton, where the ore smelted and...
  7. I

Jim, did you ever decide on the location of your nonexistent prototype? If not, let me suggest that you look 400 miles north, at the old Kettle Valley RR in BC. Lots of trestles, tunnels, mountains, mining, logging, everything you might want. And several really small towns along the way.
  8. I

Lima engine advice needed

Well, with more study and prying and wriggling I got it apart, and it's no wonder it doesn't run very well. The wonder is that it runs at all. The chassis is plastic, and very flexible. I don't see what's supposed to keep it stiff enough to keep the wheels where they should be. And I sure don't...
  9. I

It does, and I removed that screw, but it didn't do anything. There was a very small screw at the rear bottom of the loco that holds a small shell on, and it's off, but the body doesn't want to come off. It's odd - the chassis seems to be one with the firewall, with the boiler, cow catcher, etc...
  10. I

I've removed the screw at the front of the chassis, and the body is loose at the front, but the back is held by a tang, and I'm reluctant to force it too much. Anyone had one of these apart?
  11. I

I've got a Lima 0-4-0, of uncertain age. The motor runs pretty well, but one wheel is higher than the other three, so it doesn't make contact with the track. When there are only two contact wheels on each side, you really need all of them to contribute. Before I take the thing apart, does anyone...
  12. I

The Saanich Peninsula

Very nice. I'm sure my wife has a couple of those she'll never miss. I'll give it a shot.
  13. I

The Saanich Peninsula

Sir, you have hit the nail on the head. There are three lines: front, centre and back. Each is fairly accurate as to the route taken by the protos. But even T scale would be out by a factor of 9: T scale is 1:450 and the layout is 1:3200. So I have to make scenery that is somewhere between 1:87...
  14. I

I guess this is my fault. I use Opera, but I don't like the current version, as the bookmarks feature is very unfriendly, so I've been using an older version. When I booted the latest version, all the photos were there. I guess I'll use that version when I want to look at this board. Thanks for...
  15. I

And I can't see any photos in this thread.

Back