Recent content by Doc

1. Doc

Hey y'all from North Carolina!

Welcome John, Greetings from Rock Hill, SC.
  2. Doc

American Flyer S gauge

Greetings, I was wondering if there are other hobbyist here that collect A.C. Gilbert trains, or do servicing, restoring, upgrade or doing reproductions of them? I know that doing so might date me but for me I have not gotten over that 1954 Christmas morning when I saw that 283 Pacific 4-6-2...
  3. Doc

Edit titles under user name

Is there an any additional information on how to edit your / change your old Custom Title? I would love to edit mine. Doc'
  4. Doc

Testing An American Flyer 314AW Locomotive

Just another penny to add. The flyer motors are universal ac that are series wired. The change of direction comes from reversing the Field Winding wiring which is done with the E-unit. The jumper pictured will allow testing of the steamer without the tender although it will run only in one...
  5. Doc

Question about Flyer S scale 2 rail v Lionel O scale 3 rail

It's been a while since I was here and am catching up with posts. I thought to add my .5 cents with a note that A.C. Gilbert offered the # 695 reverse loop relay to work with several track trips and a pair of turnouts to produce an automated reverse loop. A YouTube video, watch?v=KgbvjypUvPc...
  6. Doc

post your model RR tips........

A tool tip from my American Flyer S gauge bench. I have re-purposed the old style battery terminal pullers, ( e-Bay ), for use a wheel pullers for both steamers and diesels. The center screw has the end bell removed and then the threaded shaft is removed and ground to just smaller than the axle...
  7. Doc

hello

Welcome Wes
  8. Doc

Welcome, a wealth of knowledge here. Enjoy
  9. Doc

A " How to paint this " help request.

The pink eraser might work as well, if it is soft enough to mold to the rings. Good thought. Doc'
  10. Doc

After a closer look at the roller results I found the valleys still filled in a little as I could not master the correct angle to roll the raised rings. I then thought about using a wide stretched rubber band for better paint application and contact with the rings. This is the made up tool...
  11. Doc

The rubber roller idea sparked a memory, a life time ago when making vinyl signs I used a small hand roller. After some searching, success and with a small application of white paint success again on the casting. Ask this forum and save some time and brain sweat! The roller is called Speedball...
  12. Doc

All great Ideas, I did try the dry brush ooops could have been me. Thank You. As I have a lot of the blue paint I going to try them all if required and see which works. Doc'
  13. Doc

Greetings all, I'm in need of any " how to paint this " process. I am re-painting an A.C. Gilbert, American Flyer, 1948 The Royal Blue 350 steamer. The cast shell has been stripped and repainted except for the embossed rings on the nose of the cast shell. The headlight lenses has also been...
  14. Doc

American Flyer S Guage Tank Car Paint

Greetings Toot ( too cool ), a few of the old timers from the old Celanese plant here in Rock Hill said that the yellow band on the tank car was as you related a Safety Yellow. I'm off to run that down with the Southern boys here in Rock Hill. Great thought. Hi Wayne I should have sent Tom a...
  15. Doc

American Flyer S Guage Tank Car Paint

Greetings Wayne, Yep Lionel did recreate the tanker in both Celanese Chemicals( 48406 ) and Gilbert Chemicals ( 47407 ). I'm working on the 910 and boy do I wish I had a tank car to take for a recreation of the paint. Great idea though and maybe someone might send me a yellow chip, no no just...

Back