American Flyer S Guage Tank Car Paint

Doc

Rivarossi Doc
Greetings All, I know "S" gauge may not the gauge of most of us but as I was able to refurbish my 1956 Christmas present and I though what the heck lets add one line of S to the HO layout. so here is the rub I need a little help with a paint color. I'm working on several reproduction cars one of which is the single dome "Celanese Chemicals" tank car and I am having a time finding the yellow paint for this project. There are pictures in the Greenburg guide 1988 and the pocket guide for 2015 as well as on Ebay for the car under the Gilbert Chemical tank car name which uses the same green, yellow, green colors of the Celanese one. I was hoping someone might have some thought about the yellow. Doug at Portlines.com nailed the green ID1180 but did not have a match for the yellow. Any all help is welcomed. In addition I have Rivarossi Steam HO as my main lines. Thanks for the read.
All the Best
Doc'

Doc, did not Lionel recreate a tanker with those colors in their S-Gauge line? Also if you have a sample an auto paint supplier may recreate the paint formula.
Wayne

Greetings Wayne, Yep Lionel did recreate the tanker in both Celanese Chemicals( 48406 ) and Gilbert Chemicals ( 47407 ). I'm working on the 910 and boy do I wish I had a tank car to take for a recreation of the paint. Great idea though and maybe someone might send me a yellow chip, no no just kidding. I'll keep sniffing around and maybe good things come to those who keep looking. Thanks my friend.
Doc'

It seems Doc, that you have much the same problem I, and the model train makers have with MRL blue. It all depends on the light that the prototype, or sample is in at the time of researching. For what it's worth here is a photo of the model in question on Google images. Has been taken with flash in this case
images

As this shade of yellow is pretty much standard for tank cars carrying hazardous materials, is there a govt specified paint shade for that band around the car's waiste that could be referred to?

Greetings Toot ( too cool ), a few of the old timers from the old Celanese plant here in Rock Hill said that the yellow band on the tank car was as you related a Safety Yellow. I'm off to run that down with the Southern boys here in Rock Hill. Great thought. Hi Wayne I should have sent Tom a note as I have several of his publications I use as the AF bible. Great source and thanks for the wake up. Oh TooT, I passed your message on to you and your now waiting here at the layout work bench.
Thanks All
Doc'

Back