Recent content by CIOR

1. C

Model Railroading sure looks different nowadays...

I've went through one of the point filing jigs, they do wear down after time, meaning you don't get the same points. Just a hazard of it I guess. Its the only jig that I've had issues with, although the longer I go, the stock aid jig is starting to wear, but it isn't as bad. Overall I'm...
  2. C

Standard Hobby Supply

Wow, didn't know this. They were great to deal with and always had what I needed! They will be missed, but I hope they all enjoy their retirement!
  3. C

Model Railroading sure looks different nowadays...

I bought the #5 jig to do an industrial complex and some industrial siding switches. Lets just say, I'm seriously thinking about replacing all my Walthers and MicroEngineering turnouts with FastTracks turnouts. Takes me around 30-45 minutes to build a turnout and they work flawlessly! They...
  4. C

fast tracks vs. ?

I have about 200 bucks wrapped up in the tools so far. The template is the most expensive, it is a tick over 100 bucks. But you can find them used on ebay and other online auctions I'm sure. I know I will be selling mine to a friend when I'm done. I tell everyone that asks the following...
  5. C

GE Center Cabs

As someone that is working on a 65Tonner project, I can tell you your only point is the 44Tonner. They are only 1 door off, and you can get away with it. The 70T and 95T are close also! Bachmann makes them and they are now DCC'ed, so the decoder is in there. Or you can gut that and put in...
  6. C

Old Circuit Boards (com-serv)

I'll say that it isn't anything CMRI related (I'm a CMRI layout). They use pins instead of slots. You might ask on the CMRI list on Yahoo groups, because many of the guys on there had other systems before they went the CMRI route. Personally I've never heard of this, but you have to...
  7. C

Glue for track

Most guys use a rubber type cement to glue metal rail to the plastic ties. Basically the biggest is a shoe repair cement. I've used Pliobond in the past with good luck!
  8. C

Tsunami Programming Help

There seems to be a few and I mean "FEW" Tsunami's that are having an issue with programming and no matter what, you can't get them back. I've installed close to 20 of them on just my railroad and can say that I've only had 1 do this. No matter what the case, you couldn't get it to reset...
  9. C

Tortoise Switch Machine Panel

Brad, My only other suggestion to you is that you might not want to "gang" your toggle power all together. Why? Well, toggles DO fail, trust me when I say they do this at the WRONG time. You don't want to be in there with a soldering iron fixing 1 toggle. My suggestion would be run to...
  10. C

ranking loco's quality by manufacturer...

Don't blame the sound on T55. This is PURE DIGITRAX. This was a rush development job and shows. When it comes to quality of drive, its hands down the drive of the T55, followed by the Kato/Atlas drives in my opinion. The Newer Proto Drives are next. I think shell quality if very subjective...
  11. C

What's your Branch line Car Stop Like?

David, Something that I've seen in pictures of the line I model, when it was built, they would use boulders! I've seen pictures of coal dumped on the ends of the track as well. Of course, old ties are a good common method, but I'm not sure when that started. You might google up Hayes...
  12. C

Modeling your local area

I started modeling the C&O of Indiana, I model the town I live in now and its the town I was born in. ITS FLAT! Its tough. I previously modeled the former PRR mainline across Central Indiana which is also pretty flat, its tough, but fun.
  13. C

Bulk Track

Do you have a good local hobby shop? I'd try them as well, if you know how much you will need, most shops are willing to cut you a break if you buy in bulk at ONE TIME. So if you need to buy 75 pieces, most shops will cut you a break on the price. Also, you could search the net for a box of...
  14. C

What's your Branch line Car Stop Like?

I'm a big fan of the Tomar stops, both wheel and Bumpers. Here are the wheel stops, I don't have any shots of the Bumpers, but they are nice as well. Only issue is they aren't as tight on MicroEngineering rail as they are on Atlas track. You can get around this by squeezing the bottom of them...
  15. C

Another C&O of Indiana update

Well, just downloaded 3 weeks worth of pictures off the camera, and made an update to the website. Figured I would post it up here as well. Work is progressing at a nice pace, not super fast, but things are getting done. The last bit of "MAJOR" work was to get the wye at South Muncie wired in...

Back