Tsunami Programming Help

DelmonteX

PSMRE/MSVRR
Need some help please.

I have a Digitrax DCS100 and apparently the programming track power is insufficient to program the Tsunami in Service Mode.

So I successfully made some changes in Ops Mode. Then I got ambitious and tried change the default address to a long address. I set CV29 to 34, CV17 to 208 and CV18 to 194, to use a four digit address of 4290.

Now I can't access the decoder. I can't reset it, because I don't "know" the address for programming in Ops Mode and Service Mode doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

...I set CV29 to 34, CV17 to 208 and CV18 to 194, to use a four digit address of 4290...

Did you program CV29 first? If so, that is where you messed up. There are two problems with programming CV29 first. After programming CV29 to enable the 4-digit address the decoder would not have responding to the 2-digit address when you tried to program CV17 and 18. Also, with a Tsunami, you can not change the currently active address, so if the 4-digit address is enabled, you can not change CV17 and 18.

If this is what happened, the following should get you going again. Make sure there are no other engines on the layout. Select address '0' and go into Ops mode programming(address '0' s the "broadcast address," that is why you have to remove all other engines from the layout). Program CV29 to 32 to disable the 4-digit address. Program CV17, then CV18, and then reprogram CV29 to 34.

Did you program CV29 first?

That's what I did.

So I tried Broadcast mode, both to try and program the address and to reset to factory defaults. After most commands, the motor turns slightly, but I can't get a reset. I say most commands, because when I program cv18, there is no reponse from the moter/decoder.

Any other suggestions?

Actually forgot one step in the reset. Tried it again and the reset worked. I then followed your steps to set the 4 digit address, setting CV29 last and I have the new address programmed.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Next time you have a puzzle over the programmed address, simply acquire Address 00 on your throttle, enter Ops Mode, and do the CV changes you need for the decoder to reset. Just make sure that only the needy decoder is the one getting that reset instruction. If you do this out on the main, and if other locomotives that have decoders are receiving track power, they'll all change.

Next time you have a puzzle over the programmed address, simply acquire Address 00 on your throttle, enter Ops Mode, and do the CV changes you need for the decoder to reset. Just make sure that only the needy decoder is the one getting that reset instruction. If you do this out on the main, and if other locomotives that have decoders are receiving track power, they'll all change.

Well that makes sense. I'll make a note of it.

There seems to be a few and I mean "FEW" Tsunami's that are having an issue with programming and no matter what, you can't get them back.
I've installed close to 20 of them on just my railroad and can say that I've only had 1 do this. No matter what the case, you couldn't get it to reset itself. When we did a check it was a bigger issue and was forwarded to them for review.

Back