Recent content by CharlesH.

1. CharlesH.

Mini Micro and Ultra Fine Micro Beads

Hmmm, this looks interesting... - Various kinds of fruit - O scale gumballs - Eggs - Croquet Balls - Those... puffy balls that hang from curtains - Live load for grain hoppers - Marbles - Big buttons on a dress - Fat fish in a bowl - Gobstoppers - Acme Eyeballs (as in a scene in Who...
  2. CharlesH.

Old Tank Car as Auxiliary Tender

One of the first rolling stock kits I ever bought was an MDC (aah remember those?) old time tank car. You know, one of those 30 foot jobs with the big cast metal frame and those odd looking Fox trucks. Anyway, with a build date of 1898, this car is waay too old for revenue service on my early...
  3. CharlesH.

Let's see your first layout

My first layout was a 3 1/2 x 7 job based on John Olson's Jerome & Southwestern, built between 1998 and 2002. Turned out father and I bit off more than we could chew and it was an operational nightmare. Still, I managed to produce some interesting scenery with gloriously misshapen hills, neatly...
  4. CharlesH.

Show us your...plastic structures

Thanks for the comments fellas. Yours looks swell! I especially like the radio shop sign and the interiors. It's really not that hard. Just take a good look at the real thing and keep an eye on the fonts you use, especially if it's a period job. Fonts...I could pontificate on that one...
  5. CharlesH.

British narrow gauge in 009 - County Gate

Holy cats, that's just wonderful... that scenery is so lush and alive. I especially like the hotel scene, you can almost hear a bit of Al Bowlly from a guest's gramophone.
  6. CharlesH.

I did.... making signs is one of my favourite things to do around the pike!
  7. CharlesH.

PRR Car

That's a swell lookin' car. I've been tempted to scratchbuild one of those but.... aaah too many rivets!
  8. CharlesH.

I think I posted this one before but I really like what did here.... My long-suffering Merchan's Row got a much needed revamp last winter, and while it still needs a few more details, I think it looks pretty good. I also did some work on a DPM JC Nickels kit... alas, the sister...
  9. CharlesH.

$676 Walthers car

I saw this auction a few days ago and while I do recognise the skill involved, I say this one ugly piece of work. Not a big fan of graffitti myself... 676 bucks.... geez, not even good oil paintings go for that much.
  10. CharlesH.

Length of telephone poles

The poles from the Walthers kit are 5 inches, plus a half inch base for planting.
  11. CharlesH.

How to Make Trees and Shrubs

I've only skimmed through a few pages of this thread and all I can say is.... WOW! I'm definitely trying one of your techniques sometime. Swell stuff!
  12. CharlesH.

Weekly Photo Fun 2/19-2/25

It's been a while since I posted anything here at the ole WPF (or anywhere else for that matter), so here's a little something for the week- Part of a series of experiments in using slides as backdrops. The original came out a little too blue so I corrected that into a sunset colour scheme...
  13. CharlesH.

Scratchbuilt 40' HyCube boxcar

That's a swell piece of work!
  14. CharlesH.

Lets see your tunnel portals

My contribution - A Woodland Scenics portal and what can be best described as big slabs of concrete... that area remains unfinished to this day.
  15. CharlesH.

The Other Side Of The Station

As I mentioned in another thread, I decided to move my station off the layout and make it a part of the backdrop. The limited space makes anything bigger than a flagstop look uncomfortably squeezed in, so now I got this empty lot in front of the platforms and the tracks. So, what would you...

Back