Recent content by Brakeman Hal

1. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

I always form my flex track curves, (complete with transitions), before joining the sections. Then I cut the rails to match and then slip on rail joiners, then solder the joints. Hup Hup Hup!
  2. Brakeman Hal

Acquired A TON of Custom Trains at an Estate Sale

WOW, TrainHobbit... Two thousand pounds of model railroad equipment! How will you support it all? You'll need heavy steel benchwork. Brakeman Hal
  3. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

J. Albert- I agree excerpt for one detail: The Master bedroom leads directly to the Master Bathroom, which has a Tub, not a Shower. I never use a bathtub, only the shower. In the 23 years we lived in our present home, I never used the bathtub ONCE. To take a shower, I would have to go from the...
  4. Brakeman Hal

Between my HO and my O-Scale 2-Rail Layouts, my Slot Car Race Course sure was fun!

We had some real competition on this course, and it was fun to run solo too! (The course also ran 15 feet off to the right.) The cars were 1/32 scale. Redline Hal
  5. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

Here's the floor plan of the apartment I chose instead of the one posted earlier. It has larger rooms, and I'll be using the master bedroom for the layout. The dark areas represent 2-1/2 4x8 sheets of plywood. The clearance between the walls is enough for my legs, as the layout will be below...
  6. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

Sir Foldalot, the $3050 is my monthly rent. All Meals, Utilities, and Maintenance are paid from that. My monthly retirement income just covers the rent. Hup Hup Hup Hal
  7. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

You mean like this dogbone? The right hand loop is 7-1/2 feet in diameter, and I've never had any problems on it, mainly because I run my railroad as simple as possible, with a single train on a single uninterrupted track, with no spurs, sidings, or switches to complicate things. I also...
  8. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

That plan won't work because I won't have the space for it across the narrow end of the room, which is only 4 feet wide. My old (present) room is 20' x 25', and I never had to do any "reaching" of any kind on the 0-scale layout.
  9. Brakeman Hal

Bachman HO Steam Locomotives

Are the latest generation of Bachman HO steam locos now as detailed and realistic in operation as the Atlas, and MTH? I have the 2021 Bachman catalog and there are some models that have DCC and 16-bit Sound. Do any of you have the newer Bachman HO steamers? Thanks, Brakeman Hal
  10. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

I can easily reach across the 4 foot width of my layout...I'm 6' 2" tall. Otherwise, I can move the layout a foot from the wall to give me an aisleway. Didn't you see the sketch of my layout in this thread? It IS an L-shaped dogbone, man!
  11. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

Hey Bigboy57, Here's a floor plan of the entire apartment, with the 2 dark rectangles representing the two 4x8 sheets of plywood. Yowzah! Hal
  12. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

OK, Big Boy # 4014, here's the projected bedroom layout when I move into my "assorted living" senior apartment village: It'll be built on two 4x8 sheets of select Birch plywood. The curve radii will be 22", as shown. All Aboard! No, I haven't considered Kato Unitrack, mainly because I never...
  13. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

The smallest radius on my proposed HO layout will be 22", which is allowable within the confines of a 4x8 plywood sheet. I'll use my trammel beam to provide the exact radius. Ho Ho Ho!
  14. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

My curves will follow a pencil line made on the baseboard by a radius stick with a pencil in one end and a sharpened nail in the other end. The radius will be absolutely constant, like the 26", 45", and 50" radii on my 130-foot O-scale layout. Hal
  15. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

My new Walthers catalog has a lot of choices in freight rolling stock and 2-8-2, 2-8-0, 2-6-2, and 4-6-0 locos...Yummy! I'll have room in my second bedroom for a layout with two 4x8 sheets of plywood, where my curves will be 22" radius. Hal

Back