Recent content by Brakeman Hal

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. Brakeman Hal

Should you tell your wife......?

My wife and I enjoy our hobbies with no concerns over their expense. This is the result of wise retirement planning! I recently gave away a telescope that I had $1100 invested in. Hal
  2. Brakeman Hal

It depends on whether the star is above the horizon...if it is, then I take the scope outside. Brakeman Hal
  3. Brakeman Hal

You'll have to update your coordinates to 2020. Here's a 16" truss-tube Newtonian I used to have. Hal
  4. Brakeman Hal

Analog power supply gives DCC effects

OK...then there I go!:) Hal
  5. Brakeman Hal

I like 'em too! They give a cue to momentary poor rail contact by watching the ammeter flicker. They also tell at what track voltage the loco's starting sounds will come on, and when movement begins. Hal
  6. Brakeman Hal

Cleaning Loco Wheels By Brute Force

As far as I'm concerned, it is FINIS! Brakeman Hal
  7. Brakeman Hal

I have a 50-year-old Analog power supply that sounds Horn (or Whistle) & Bell on DCC locos when I flip the direction switch rapidly. Hal
  8. Brakeman Hal

Looking For O-Scale 2-Rail Steamer in 2-6-0 or 2-8-0

Must be a Western road name, like SF, UP, SP. No MTH engines...they have that "Wireless Drawbar" which gives me trouble. DCC operation is fine. Brakeman Hal
  9. Brakeman Hal

I have no further replies...it looks like we got off on the wrong foot. Sorry for my attack.
  10. Brakeman Hal

Hey, wvg_ca... I would never attempt cleaning someone else's track and I would never have anything to do with an HO layout! Besides...would you really slap an 84-year-old gun-loving Conservative? 🇨🇦
  11. Brakeman Hal

Effortless Track Cleaning

I use both methods. Hal
  12. Brakeman Hal

Effortless Track Cleaning

Just couple a Track Cleaning Car into your consist and let it run around a few times for a clean track! Brakeman Hal
  13. Brakeman Hal

defective rails...
  14. Brakeman Hal

My Santa Fe #3307 GP-35 weighs five pounds alone, which is more than some entire HO trains! Move outta the way, HO Shrimp! The weight of that diesel on the heavy O-Scale rails was enough to do the job without fooling with cleaning solvent. Besides...with the engine inverted in its service...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.