Recommend me a DCC starter set

NCE Powercab has readouts, it will read all sound decoders without any boosters or add-ons. Even the big Power Pro can't do that.

Kennedy
Oh, boy, nice to know! That might convince me to buy the Power cab now, and add a power pro later on.

What I like about the Power Cab is it has a 7' cord which allows some mobility that allows holding your throttle while moving a little way to couple/uncouple cars, throw turnouts, check and clear shorts, etc. While the Zephyr is a fine system, it is in a fixed location with no mobility. For some this could be an inconvenience but for others it wouldn't matter.

Now the Power Cab cannot be unplugged so you're limited to 7' of movement. If you need more mobility, you can buy their engineer's cab (throttle) 04p. This is a very fine engineer's throttle and would allow moving and plugging in anywhere around your layout by adding additional plug-in stations.

You can also add a Digitrax engineer's throttle (UT4) which is also a nice throttle except for one thing that wouldn't work for me. It does not allow throwing DCC controlled turnouts. To do this you would need their more expensive DT400 throttle.

On the Power Cab, if you need to bump up to 3 amps of power (compared to 2.5 for the Zephyr), you need to add a Smart Booster (SB3). This also allows up to four throttles (4 operators) but that doesn't mean only four locos. You could run as many locos at one time as 3 amps permits.

For my way of operating, the Power Cab is a clear choice, with other nice features as well. But, Digitrax also has excellent products and could also be a good choice, depending on what you really need. There are many other features of both systems that one may want to consider so for those reasons one should do considerable research and study to see what will be best for you.

Jerry

Well the Zephyr is a stationary set up but you can add a throttle of your choice (many to choose from in the Digitrax arsenal) I like the DT400r it is pricey but it does the job for home use and club use. mean while back to the Zephry it has a all the trimmings as well but hey research and choose to your liking.

but hey research and choose to your liking.

LOL simpler said than done for the ones not initiated into the DCC club yet. :D

With a layout that is mostly hands on (follow the train 16'x20') walk around throttles that maintain speed and direction when unplugged is almost a must in order to stay out of panic mode crisis.
The layout as is wired now is power routing, one or two buttons set the route, turnouts and power to the route selected. Following Murphy's law this doesn't always work perfect :mad: but would be confusing to try to do it all by hand.
In todays posts I see this function can be handled more efficiently by DCC. These are all good things making DCC look like the only way to go.
Decisions= Since the output of each mfgr's product is held to a standard they must be pretty well all the same in operation. That leaves several questions
1 Which product is the most reliable. The answer I'm finding it's about even
2 After market service. I have no idea yet
3 Bells and whistles again they're quite close except each seems to have a convenience or (gotta have) the others don't have.
4 CV's if I remember right there were some differences here, I didn't pay too much attention because the decoders had 2; 4 or 6 CV's and if the command unit had 6 or 20 it didn't seem to make much difference until later I came across sound decoding. So I'll have to go over that part again and at least this time I'll have some understanding.
5 Lastly and most important to me are versatility and convenience in place being used. That's where the research comes in. At present I'm reading, to obtain some knowledge in order to ask questions that can be answered only by those with hands on experience. What I'm reading on the web now, is more aimed at selling certain products (that's as should be)
Strange as it may seem I have no trouble understanding the DCC composite signal or how it's generated or how it's decoded, my biggest problem is What's right for me.:confused:
I have gotten a lot out of the posts on this thread, in fact enough to put DCC on my have to have list.
Great thread
Cheers Willis

well I just picked up the MRC prodigy express, and I'm impressed with the features. You'll probably want the prodigy advance squared though.

Hi chimmike would you mind looking to see where your MRC prodigy express was manufactured and or where it was put together. Made in the USA is good otherwise this could be important Customs info for me.

Cheers
Willis

4 CV's if I remember right there were some differences here, I didn't pay too much attention because the decoders had 2; 4 or 6 CV's and if the command unit had 6 or 20 it didn't seem to make much difference until later I came across sound decoding. So I'll have to go over that part again and at least this time I'll have some understanding.

Not sure what you are referring to here but you are possibly referring to DCC Functions as opposed to CVs.

CVs are individual "compartments" that affect various data for the loco.
There are something like 255 CVs but they are not all used, or all important to the point that you need to learn what they all do. As one progresses in DCC you learn more and more about these and they can add even more interest to your operations. But, initially you don't need to know too much about them. I'm no expert on all of these at all and am gradually learning more about them.

Now, Functions are those commands operated by the number keys on the throttle and are used for such things as turning lights on and off, blowing the horn, bell, etc. For non-sound locos you are usually just working the lights. For sound locos, especially steam, there are many different sounds that can be turned on with the Function keys.

The functions are usually referred to as F0, F1, F2, etc. Pushing the #0 key turns on lights, the #1 key the bell and the #2 key the horn or whistle. Different systems have a different number of functions available. For example, the Zephyr has F0-F8 (nine functions). by adding walk-around throttles Digitrax can then provide F0-F12 (thirteen functions). NCE and MRC both provide F0-F27. Lenz has F0-F12.

Actually many users don't even use more than about 4 or 5 of the functions, but that depends on how much one wants to play with all of the sounds.

I may be misinterpreting your comments and maybe you already know all of this. If so I apologize and hope that this will be of some value to someone.

Jerry

Hi chimmike would you mind looking to see where your MRC prodigy express was manufactured and or where it was put together. Made in the USA is good otherwise this could be important Customs info for me.

Cheers
Willis

Willis, I believe it was made in China. I purchased it from a US source though. Hopefully it won't hinder you too much!

Cheers
Willis
I have an advance and its states "made in China"

I believe it was made in China. I purchased it from a US source though. Hopefully it won't hinder you too much!
Yep! it would if I ordered it through a USA retailer, Canada customs would slap a duty on it, plus 14% tax and $5 for the Canada Post to collect the $$ from me. Bunch of sculpins I says :D
No problem though comparable prices can be found here. One thing that stinks is that I can find the Advance2 cab easily enough, but not the starter set. However the Prodigy express set is readily available as is the Zephyr and it's add on accessories. The Prodigy Advance cab is offered as an upgrade to the Express but I'm sure the complete starter set is available somewhere. Came across another one called the AD150, doesn't look too impressive to me as I doubt it can be upgraded.
Thanks for checking

Cheers Willis

The powercab controller will also serve as an additional power pro throttle when you plug it in there. All you have to do is change the throttle address. Many folks use the Powercab on the workbench to program.

The only issue with the Powercab is that it doesn't control a separate programming track; it shuts down the entire layout to program. Not a real issue if you're a small operation. Just have to remember not to program while all the buddies are over.

Kennedy

The only issue with the Powercab is that it doesn't control a separate programming track; it shuts down the entire layout to program. Not a real issue if you're a small operation. Just have to remember not to program while all the buddies are over.

Kennedy

Yes that's true. Could be a problem if you forget. It would probably be best to isolate a small section of track for a programming track so you can turn off power to the rest of the layout while programming.

I guess that after you upgrade to a Smart Booster, you can then use your original Power Cab power supply and plug-in panel for a dedicated programming track, like at your work bench as you mentioned.

Jerry

Not sure what you are referring to here but you are possibly referring to DCC Functions as opposed to CVs.
Hi Jerry
you are most probably right. Thought I might be able to find the pages again but no luck so far. Since it was a retail site one never knows it wouldn't be the first time on a site that had less of a idea of what was, than I did.
I'm doing a lot of research and needless to say it's somewhat confusing. Tonight I learned the Prodigy Advance output is 2.5 amps not 3, the unit is capable of handling 3 amps but the power supply is 2.5 amp, Seems Tony's has a compatible booster to 5 amps at about 1/3 the price of the MRC 8 amp PS

Cheers Willis

well after getting my prodigy express yesterday, getting a loco today and installing my first drop in decoder, a simple mistake and fix later and I'm running a DCC loco on some track with my express. Very easy to use.

let me get this straight, if I get a lower cost lower amp kit, I would only need to add a booster later on as the layout grows?

let me get this straight, if I get a lower cost lower amp kit, I would only need to add a booster later on as the layout grows?

Well, yes and no. On some systems, the lower cost (starter set) also doesnt have all the functionality of a larger set.
But, as with most dcc systems, they are expandable as money allows.

What functions would you consider must haves? I don't want to end up getting a kit that is so basic I've outgrown right away. At the same time, I don't wanna drop a huge amount of money on something over the top yet.

The advance and advance2 are 3.5 amp units, the express original was 1.6 but upgraded to 2.5.
Ah! So! me'thinks some of those information sites about MRC DCC should do some updating to their pages. As of this date Tony's sure could use some as others do too.
Thanks for the link to enlightenment about the output available.
I don't have a set at this time and the money markets are quite volatile now and will remain so well into the future I'll hold off until the Spring probably will be a better time to buy from online mail orders. No doubt there will be a window of opportunity for ordering from across the border.

Cheers Willis

I just got a Digitrax Zephyr starter system for at home. I'll use it mainly to program stuff. I don't have a home layout, but programming engines at the club can be a pain.

I went with Digitrax mainly because it is what my club uses and what the LHS's sell. It is a very nice system, capable of running small to medium sized home layouts. By adding a radio receiver unit and radio throttle, you can have all the functionality of a Super Chief, just with fewer throttles.

The Zephyr comes with a 2.5 amp power supply and supports up to ten throttles and has the ability to use 2 DC throttles to control trains as well. You can add more power supplies to the system, but to add more than ten trottles you'll have to buy an Empire Builder or Super Chief.

The system is very easy to setup and has the functionality of a DT400 throttle so you can enter numbers directly. It also supports 10 function buttons for lights and sound.

As your needs expand, you can still use the Zephyr as a 2.5 amp booster, local control station, dedicated programming track or as a reversing loop controller. So it will never become un-needed.

Back