Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 30°, chilly today and again tonight, then a return to our typical spring weather tomorrow. The NWS is still forecasting 80° for Wednesday, other wise upper 50's to mid-70's for the remainder of the 10 day forecast.

I didn't mention yesterday, but Thursday while we were on the grocery trek, my SIL dropped the granddog off at our house for a few days. Of course she got muddy the first day. He also left an interesting and new to me device here as well.
IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

Fill it with water (we used warm), stick the doggie's paw into it and move it up and down. Presto, it's clean and you just have to dry it off from there.
Other activity yesterday besides normal household chores included mowing again with the push mower around various places and more gathering of fallen twigs/branches around trees. Amazing that I am reading of some of you with your snow blowers and I am mowing. Hughie's probably mowing down there in H-town as well.

Cemetery activity continues out in the train shed, as I finished up the parking area out front yesterday.
IMG_1360.JPG

Also visible are the decorative trees that I planted and some of the fence between the stone pillars there across the front.
IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

Even though I measured and placed those pillars exactly in place, they are not exact and the rails between them are not all an identical length. They fit into narrow slots in each pillar. That will continue today.
More ground cover and some small shrubbery around the gates are coming up before I start arranging the already painted headstones.

Sherrel - Continue to hang in there. As the experiences of others here in the Coffee Shop, Alan, Tom O, and Mikey have shown, and your past experiences as well; it's not the end but just a stumbling block along the way. My prayers and positive thoughts continue for you and those Angels supporting you along the way, Kate and daughter.
Troy - Ain't nothing wrong with a landline phone, here's mine.
IMG_1196.JPG

Same phone has been here for 44 years. Never needs upgrading and still works just fine, even in any kind of storm. As a bonus, folks in my area who still had one, got upgraded to fiber-optic lines a few years ago at no charge due to a federal government grant. Several neighbors who had dropped their landlines, had to pay for the fiber-optic installation. Satellite internet here is more expensive and less reliable than the local ISP.
Patrick - I assume that you'll be pleased to get the fiber cable, even if they do dig up the yard.
Mike - I don't usually have an issue with USPS tracking here. Unless the package doesn't fit in the rural mailbox located 1.25 miles away. Tracking indicates it has been delivered but actually I get a notification to come to the post office and pick it up.
Half hour on the phone with Comcast??? That's a short period compared with the various service providers around here!
Possum - I haven't personally been to Chilifest, but the rules seem to be the same for all of the competitive cook-offs across the state. A lady friend of mine from work, once won $10,000 at a state-wide competition.
Mikey - Great news.
Ray - Great news from you as well. Take it easy for a few days now.
Tom O -
Less than intelligent people are not just in New York. I would start the list just with Washington DC and go from there!
It would be tough getting away from there!
Re: Coupler tuning. I hope that you will share that with us. I have some ideas of my own, but never codified them.
Mac -
And we can pinpoint the center of it all exactly:https://maps.app.goo.gl/vRXGx77upA7pY6c29
There's plenty of other places in DC that could be the starting point. But I can't get into that without stepping across the political line in the sand.
Terry -
Several years ago, an acquaintance of mine closed his NYC-based business, and moved to Texas, where he started a completely different business.
To this day, NYC continues trying to force him to renew all his business licenses, despite the fact it's been probably 3 years or more since he closed the business. And they won't take "this business no longer exists" as an excuse.
That's like New Jersey and Kalifornia wanting to tax you if you move away! Or your experiences with North Carolina institutions.

Everyone have a fantastic day and a wonderful weekend.

Good Morning, folks!

16F under the cloudless blue sky, and it's doing nothing more than warming up.

I must be getting old. It seems like I'm forgetting words. A conversation with others is getting harder to carry on intelligently. Oddly, there's been no change in conversations with myself or my dog.

Today, I hope to be working on my little Class 3 station. It's still an entirely experimental process. Building the walls out of balsa and stuccoing with a mud (forget the name of it).

Just for the sake of a photo, here's a repost. This GP38-2w is the oldest locomotive I've photographed in town, since taking a liking to the rails in 2020:
WtCrtYard_CN 4791_GP38-2W_07-05-2021.JPG

Here's another repost, of the local rail bridge crossing the McLeod River. Hard to believe someone would climb to the top beams with a spray-can, but, maybe they feel like a Spiderman hero doing it. Suppose I'd be happier if they fell and got washed down into Hudson's Bay.
McLeodBridge_02-28-2020 (3).JPG

Ray - Glad to hear you are up-n-around!
Kriegsblok - You have way more snow than here in the northwest. Please keep it there.
David - Very nice layout photos!
Jaz - Nice looking dogs, but I believe they are the Queens Corgi's and not hunting hounds. To much fur for hounds.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Morning all,

A brisk 14° this morning looking for a high of 39°. Winter reminding us it's still here and Guy forgot to close the door...

Glad to hear some medical procedures were successful and you're both doing better.

Still a few weeks before the fiber gets here. They were just putting in the conduits. At most they'll need 28 feet across my yard, but they will do more...at least it's the backyard and the Bermuda\Buffalo grass will cover the run pretty quick.

Pharmacy charged me $2.05 for my BP pills (90 day), only to find they would be a free pill if I did a 30 day. Pharmacy is in Wichita, so the $2.05 is less than the cost of the gas I'd use to get to the pharmacy 3 times.

No trains as the first of the 2 basement bedrooms is getting it's paint today. This is the quick one with no closet, so officially not a bedroom according to the tax man, but does have the escape window. Anybody ever hear of a wardrobe?

And we can pinpoint the center of it all exactly:https://maps.app.goo.gl/vRXGx77upA7pY6c29
The real problem is the people who make the rules there, were sent there by the people in their respective districts, some times repeatedly. For instance my Congressman was first elected in 1980, before I ever lived here. He only takes stands on innocuous causes, and always votes with his party, regardless of how it affects his constituents... The fault isn't in DC, it's in your home town. You sent them there.

Thanks, WILLIE! Yesterday was a real drag. DR's meeting at 1:30 followed by exam - then pharmacy - then blood draw - then stopped AAA to get handicap plate (only TEMP dammit) - then raisin cane's for the three piece combo - then stopped at Costco for gas (failed because wife parked too far away from pump on wrong side) - she won't listen! By the time we arrived home at 6 PM, I just "crashed" in the bed - woke up at midnight - bummer!

Need to find out why the brake light is on in the truck panel - hope that it just needs fluid? Brakes seem fine - no pulling, screeching, or other indications?

Need to read over the DR instructions for what meds I need to stop before the surgery and othe instructions - WOW - ten pages worth?

ALAN -- Does this "port" installation hurt? I'm so tired or being poked and prodded.

FLO - Just a large cup this morning -- The Spousal Unit says we have things to do?

Last edited:
The real problem is the people who make the rules there, were sent there by the people in their respective districts, some times repeatedly. For instance my Congressman was first elected in 1980, before I ever lived here. He only takes stands on innocuous causes, and always votes with his party, regardless of how it affects his constituents... The fault isn't in DC, it's in your home town. You sent them there.
That's why i don't vote😆, you can't say i sent them😁. This nightmare was predicted long time ago by one of the US presidents. It might have been Lincoln himself.

I'm actually happy with my congressional representative, Dr. Ronny Jackson; formerly the Physician to the President for both of the past two Presidents, but not the current one. My Senators are also both good, even though one of them grandstands a lot.

Good Morning, folks!

16F under the cloudless blue sky, and it's doing nothing more than warming up.

I must be getting old. It seems like I'm forgetting words. A conversation with others is getting harder to carry on intelligently. Oddly, there's been no change in conversations with myself or my dog.

Today, I hope to be working on my little Class 3 station. It's still an entirely experimental process. Building the walls out of balsa and stuccoing with a mud (forget the name of it).

Just for the sake of a photo, here's a repost. This GP38-2w is the oldest locomotive I've photographed in town, since taking a liking to the rails in 2020:
View attachment 181460

Here's another repost, of the local rail bridge crossing the McLeod River. Hard to believe someone would climb to the top beams with a spray-can, but, maybe they feel like a Spiderman hero doing it. Suppose I'd be happier if they fell and got washed down into Hudson's Bay.
View attachment 181461

Ray - Glad to hear you are up-n-around!
Kriegsblok - You have way more snow than here in the northwest. Please keep it there.
David - Very nice layout photos!
Jaz - Nice looking dogs, but I believe they are the Queens Corgi's and not hunting hounds. To much fur for hounds.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Yeah, but nothing beats that scenery in Northwest.

Someone had mentioned that Snow and GG-1 didn'tmix because snow, water, electricity don't mix. I had mentioned that the rest of the world didn't seem to have a problem (with electric driven trains and snow).
Chadbag, some of the companies can still do great performances, others reduce the timetable and in the end nog trains at all with only a few inches (cm) of snow. I would say snow and electric trains in Russia, Austria or Switzerland do go together well.
In my country (Holland) a very small amount of snow and the whole system comes to an halt.

WILLIE Stairway to Heaven Number 1 song but I was also looking for the guy you like Peter Frampton because I don't know much about him. His name never came up or the bands he played in. He never had a song that was good enough to make the top 100?
Swal
A lot of good songs don't get to the top 100. It's all about what YOU think, that matters not what the other ppl like or play.
In the past some groups had very good records and only few or none hits.

I have been called to jury duty 4 times. Only once was I even in the pool to be selected. Defense lawyer stood and described the case as 2 friends drinking and one stabbed the other. He pointed at me and asked what I thought about the case, I simply said being drunk doesn't excuse your responsibility from your actions. He immediately the judge to excuse me.
So right you are! (In my opinion)

Hi, folks!

Crappy weather! Not because it's cool, rather, it's so dull with no sun to brighten the day.

Spent an hour looking through my prototype rail photos. Picked out a few of my favourite to annoy you with repeats.
There's no particular reason I like these more than all the rest. I suppose it's just that I feel I've captured some special moments in the rail history of this small town.
View attachment 181105View attachment 181106View attachment 181107View attachment 181108

All of those photos were captured with a $40.00 camera. I'm fairly certain that's why the poor quality. I'm still capturing some railway history, though.

Curt - Wonderful flatcar loads. Celebrating 20yrs of what?
Migalyto - What's 'Bug' money?
Todd - Beautiful puppy!
Louis - So sorry to hear Tucker got mauled!

The wife only works weekends, which leaves me home alone with the house clean-up chores. I don't mind, because she likes a clean house. Just don't call me the "@itch".
Got it all done now, so it's nap and then finally get in some modelling time. It's been a loong time since I've done that.

Have a great day, folks.
Great Budd Railcar!!!! ;) Thats an inspectioncar?

That's pretty much subjective based on who is doing the rating, and which keyboards that they are referring to. Is it piano, organ, synthesizer or harpsichord? Rather than guess at which one was best from a video, I will list a few of my favorites. Ironically some of the ones that I think are really good, are synthesizer intros that come from guitar oriented bands; "Jump" by Van Halen and "Baba O'Riley" by The Who, (Teenage Wasteland). Strictly piano would be "Locomotive Breath" (with it's great guitar interplay), by Jethro Tull, or "She's A Rainbow" from The Rolling Stones. Then you have organ, whether it be a Hammond B3 or a simple Vox. I think that "Child in Time" by Deep Purple probably is my favorite. An aside here: wouldn't it have been really great if Jon Lord of Deep Purple used his left hand more?
A few other bands that were more keyboard oriented come to mind, but whether there were notable intros or just remarkable keyboard throughout the songs is a toss-up; Emerson, Lake & Palmer and The Doors come to mind.
There's others, but it's 4:00 am here and I really can't blast the house with music this early!o_O
Willie thanks, yet another song to play in our city centre (Locomotive Breath) in June (150 years connection to the rail system)!!

Yahooo!
I got some good news and had to share.
I completed 28 radiation beam treatments for prostate cancer about fours weeks ago. The doctor told me that my PSA count was not detectable, which means the cancer is in complete remission.
Of course, I have follow up checks every few months, but this is a load off my mind.
I just hope several others from here can make similar statements soon.
Yes the Captain had mentioned this. Glad it turned out well for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back