Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct sir!

I was looking at the NFL schedule and did not notice both the Pittsburgh @ Buffalo game and Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia are on the 15th!

That does make it easier to decide what game to watch.

Those greedy bastards are milking another day of TV money!
It is the same here in the U.K. with soccer.
Not content with Saturday and Sunday, oh no. Mondays; now Tuesdays, sometimes Wednesday and Thursday. Let's make more money and play Friday as well.

I don't watch television, but the family do. The two main channels, BBC & ITV, have four channels each. BBC 1 & ITV 1 play the main rubbish. BBC 2,3,& 4 and ITV 2.3 & 4 is old repeats. In their infinite wisdom the two companies have football on BBC1 & ITV 1? postponing the main rubbish until later. Oh! and then they play the 'highlights' after???

It is the same here in the U.K. with soccer.
Not content with Saturday and Sunday, oh no. Mondays; now Tuesdays, sometimes Wednesday and Thursday. Let's make more money and play Friday as well.

I don't watch television, but the family do. The two main channels, BBC & ITV, have four channels each. BBC 1 & ITV 1 play the main rubbish. BBC 2,3,& 4 and ITV 2.3 & 4 is old repeats. In their infinite wisdom the two companies have football on BBC1 & ITV 1? postponing the main rubbish until later. Oh! and then they play the 'highlights' after???
When I was a boy all NFL games were played on Sundays. With the only exception being Thanksgiving. Until the introduction of Monday Night Football in 1970. Monday Night Football was exciting to me! I did my level best to stay awake to see the games. I usually fell asleep after the highlights from Sunday's games during halftime. I had to see my Baltimore Colts' highlights on national TV!

Many weeks of the season we now have Thursday Night Football, even Saturday games. I can accept the extra days of games. Infact, it makes it so I can watch them all. Or at least record them after I fall asleep. I understand the need to capitalize on the popularity. And as I said those night games can be exciting.

I object to the games being broadcast on pay streaming services. I have streaming services, I can watch all the games, but not everyone can. When I was a boy, we could not afford anything extra. Professional sports are missing kids like me. Eventually I think it will have proven to be a mistake.

Well howdy there peeps from around the world...

I just watched a youtubez vid with my fav Canadian grillmaster... and noticed he pronounced a word strangely. I'd heard it from him before, so I trotted off to another tab and typed in How do you pronounce (the word)

I'm curious... The vid below gives both the British version, and the US version... how do YOU pronounce that word?

Here's my overly simplified pronunciation guide:
Canadian grill master says "I-ron"
Brit way = "I un"
Me and everyone I've heard up til now say = "I-urn"

Do you have a different way?

Having trouble tracing the Alco history though, no RI 718 Alco S series on the books that I can find.
Well, Howdy there JOHN M. !! Welcome on board - we are glad to have you visit us.

I can't help you with the RI - but I should be able too. They were all over the area where I grew up as a youngun. Fact is that the READER RR that switched the oil patch where my father worked and connected with the RI at Reader, AR. I road the two 2-6-2's several times when my father would take me to sit in the cab while they shunted back and forth - it's all gone now - the refinery tracks, and town - shame!
Back to your inquiry ... the RI as I recall was like a giant octopus with legs that went seemingly everywhere. Surely at one time they had Alco's too?

Amen, as I have gotten older the cold does not like me and I don't like the cold!
Look out your window Louis, it’s snowing!!
IMG_1500.jpeg

Last edited:
Well howdy there peeps from around the world...

I just watched a youtubez vid with my fav Canadian grillmaster... and noticed he pronounced a word strangely. I'd heard it from him before, so I trotted off to another tab and typed in How do you pronounce (the word)

I'm curious... The vid below gives both the British version, and the US version... how do YOU pronounce that word?

Here's my overly simplified pronunciation guide:
Canadian grill master says "I-ron"
Brit way = "I un"
Me and everyone I've heard up til now say = "I-urn"

Do you have a different way?

No need to Iyun anymore. Bang the clothes in the dryer for 20 minutes ad the creases fall out. 🤣

As for the Iyuning Board? Makes a great place for a small layout; on legs as well. Try it.

The indoor temperatures are 72f in the main level of the house. Indoor humidity is 37%. Downstairs in the expanded media/bar area it is 68. There is a discussion between my brother, my wife, my Endocrinologist who is great friends with Terry and the daughters best friend if it should be raised to 72?
The answer is YES !
Or, bring out the blankets, warm jackets, and hot chocolate!

Back in early 2020, I purchased several multi-packs of ramen noodles, with the thought if my wife and I got a bout of covid, they would be easy to make, and help keep us hydrated.
Today, almost 4 years later, I am eating the last pack of ramen noodles for lunch.

Good Morning All, again. It's now cloudy and the temperature did indeed drop to a single digit of 9°. NWS didn't see that happening, but I don't fault them this time.
Not going exactly as planned here, as my graywater sewer line froze up. Only done that once in 42 years here. That's the line that carries the washing machine, dishwasher, showers and kitchen sink out to the pasture.:mad: Inconvenient at best. Bathroom sink drains and toilets work just fine as they use the blackwater sewer line to the septic tank. Pouring boiling water down the furthest shower drain may eventually clear the blockage up. I know that it's not frozen between the kitchen and bathrooms, but there's about 2' of exposed pipe outside. Boiling water poured there may also help. I'm doing both. Since we did laundry and dishes yesterday, we can go for 4-5 days before having to use those appliances again. Washcloth showers tonight and if it doesn't clear out by tomorrow, then a trip to one of the daughters for showers. Only the boiling water can help right now as the temperature today isn't expected to get above 20°.
One of the consequences of living in an area that doesn't see these temperatures very often. But on the bright side; I still have running water, electricity, heat, propane and beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back