Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forget exactly when it was, but I think it was about the time Apple decided to go for MFA. I used to have my Apple email on my Windows Mail app, but Apple blocked it unless I started using MFA and a couple of other "security features" to make sure Windows was secure enough to deign to allow me to use it to read my Spam from my Apple email. I believe in reasonable security, but I am getting tired of everything being locked down so tight you can't wipe your tucas without getting a security code texted to your toilet paper dispenser...

It's not that they want to make sure your Windoze is secure. It's that they want to make sure that a new login from a source they don't recognize is really you. Once you've set it up it should work without MFA. Google does the same with GMAIL. I use GMAIL (as a backup account only) from my Apple Mail client and had to supply login credentials with MFA code the first time I logged in. Once I was logged in it has not asked me since. Apple seems to work the same way. I know someone who used Thunderbird to access Apple Mail and had no issues once the initial setup was done.

Anyone heard from Jaz Avalley lately??? She's been absent for 3 months now, that's not like her. I thought that I read somewhere that someone here had her E-Mail address. I've sent PM's but have gotten no response. I miss her ramblings.

Not heard from Jaz either. She is also AWOL on the U.K. site she is a member.

I did hear she was busy with work at home, but wasn't really confirmed.

I hope she is okay and returns soon.

It's not that they want to make sure your Windoze is secure. It's that they want to make sure that a new login from a source they don't recognize is really you. Once you've set it up it should work without MFA. Google does the same with GMAIL. I use GMAIL (as a backup account only) from my Apple Mail client and had to supply login credentials with MFA code the first time I logged in. Once I was logged in it has not asked me since. Apple seems to work the same way. I know someone who used Thunderbird to access Apple Mail and had no issues once the initial setup was done.
You forget my current ISP (and the only one I can get here) randomizes my location daily. Apple also does this, though I can turn it off every morning, and hopefully it stays the same all day.

Not sure what experience you're refering to but if you have an iCloud email account you can use ANY IMAP client to talk to it and get your email.

Here is the info you need:

I've had no problem sending to MS accounts from my iCloud account. I don't use iCloud for my main account but do use it as a backup and have had no issues mailing to anyone. (I run my own servers and have my own SMTP and IMAP/POP server -- I run it as a small business so provide it to a few customers -- I don't actively push the business but serve existing customers and their referrals).
Nope. Big Nope.
I can "set up" my Apple email on anything, it accepts it, accepts my user name and password. Then--Nothing. In Windoze Mail, I get a message every few minutes, "Your email settings are out of date. Please re-enter your password. Enter the password, then--Nothing. A few minutes later, "Your email settings are out of date". Apple told me they were the ones doing this, and pretty much told me what Microsoft told me: "If you don't like it, stop using our service".

You forget my current ISP (and the only one I can get here) randomizes my location daily. Apple also does this, though I can turn it off every morning, and hopefully it stays the same all day.
Terry: Can you get a 'static' or 'sticky' IP from that provider? Mine costs $5/month which *should* take all of the hassles out. Might be worth it for all the trouble you are having.

Later

Good morning! Locomotive works Lima Ohio (1941) :cool:

1701087909007.png

Morning all,

Bit chilly this morning at 17°. Supposed to get to the lower 40's today even with the snow. It got to 38° yesterday and the bulk of the roads are near normal. The sun and above freezing temps will make short work of the snow.

Off Friday as I have servers to update on Saturday. Friday is a "funeral" day as my son lost his 16 year old beagle mix last night. She had a fast growing tumor on her liver that they found on her last checkup, and she went down hill fairly quickly. She was a good dog and loved the grandkids. We're going to bury her at the out of town daughter's land where they have a pet cemetery.

Not much else going on yet.

Good Morning All!
30F @ 82% and overcast ( dark too )

Welp, Dau and squeeze got off to Missoula about 1/2 ago. Should be a nice quiet drive until she hits Kalispell, then down 93 will be a pain.

Sushi was quite the hit. Everybody else had the 'cooked' versions of the Salmon and Tuna; Shrimp was cooked as I even don't like it raw; although Jordan did try the raw Tuna and loved it. Maybe Salmon next time. Think that each including me had 3 rolls of the stuff; think that Jordan and Chan had 4. I did one roll each of Tuna, Salmon and Shrimp. Nothing like Sushi/Wasabi and beer! You should have seen the kitchen after all was said and done. Geesh. The animals noses were out of joint as they are not used to having ...um... strangers in their normal napping places. Cats lost their couch which was probably the worst. Well, until Jordan left her gaming tablet on the couch with a game running, then cats were watching and pawing it. Could not determine if they won or not.

Probably R&R for a bit today and get stuff cleaned up. I do have to play with the pellet stove in the train cave as it has a 'lazy' fire. Stove would start and run for awhile, then shut down. Suspect that the exhaust blower is somewhat clogged so I hope I can get it off seal intact to clean it out. Should not be too much trouble - ya, right. It has been staying above 45F in there when we have had 25F lately. Supposed to get above 35F later so ima thinking that the chainsaw can get busted out and do some of the old fence posts for the cook stove. Don't cook on it anymore, we just use it for when it gets below 30F to help keep the house warm.

Y'all be good!

Later

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin where the outdoor morning walks are being suspended. I love a crisp morning walk through the woods bit not when the wind chill is making it feel like +8f degrees. The real temperature is 20f heading to 23 this afternoon and 9 overnight. The wind is blowing all day in the low teens per the local weather app. I didn’t look at the morning forecast when I headed off to bed so I walked on the theadmill and did the 3 miles.

My Fair Lady was the musical last night and I enjoyed it though I was not expecting to. At 3 hours long though including intermission is a bit too much. This was the original version not the modernized one that I thought we were seeing and I was really dreading. This show was part of the 2020 Covid package that had to be cancelled and they finally were able to get Madison in 3 seasons later!

Badger Volleyball ended up ranked #3 overall and for the NCAA tournament are a #1 seed. So hopefully if all goes as planned the next 2 weekends the Badgers will host regional matches. Terry made reservations for Tampa where the Final 4 will be!

Today is a weathering day with a few train movements on the layout while paint dries. My 2 hours on and 2 hours off I am abandoning today and maybe for just this week. Also for this week, is I will be working on Tuesday and Thursday. The 6 hour maximum daily weathering schedule has succeeded for me, including at T & T off. I will decide this evening how I feel and if I can continue this for just a few more days. I would like to get everything I have for weathering commissions out before Christmas and I can for the freight cars. Changing the schedule will allow me to get ahead without rushing the finished product. The diesel locomotives are the real time absorber. I have 6 that need to go before Christmas and 6 more in early January. I am trying to learn to say no about rush delivery times and the 6-8 weeks lead time is going to be 8 weeks in 2024.

The other adjustment though this one is permanent is my SAD (seasonal affective disorder) wall of lights are fully installed in the workshop. No more rolling them over to create a box! 3 walls and now a ceiling set, have the lights installed and the 4th wall is on a hinge so I am boxed in without a feeling of claustrophobia. The day light spectrum light LEDs match the rest of the light in the work shop. I now can continue to work at the bench and get some benefit. But the big thing is just relaxing for 30 minutes in my happy space and catch some rays!

Breakfast and then the day will begin. Enjoy the day…

Good Morning All. Clear and 30° out on the back porch this morning. Some nearby towns are reporting 26° (via Alexa and MSN), but my thermometer shows the same as the Weather Underground guy around the corner. Mostly sunny today with clouds overnight as the warmup begins. No snow expected here.

My wife returned home yesterday, and my SIL came for the two granddogs. I wasn't expecting them to leave quite so soon, it's usually a few days after they return before someone comes to retrieve them. It was a good stay, neither one got sick in the house, no dead animals were found by either, they didn't catch my only squirrel or the two vultures, and neither ventured out to the road. The last one is important since neither is really vehicle-cognizant due to always being on a leash at home. They are learning to stay away when they are here.
I cooked a Prime Rib roast last night, perfectly done but I was counting on the granddogs still being here to assist with the scraps. They went into a Ziplock in the freezer for the next visit which for one of them will be the week after Christmas.

Yesterday being Sunday, I didn't spend a lot of time out in the train shed, too much else going on as well. I basically just moved some engines around that weren't run last week. I think that I have run all of them in the last 7 days now. That's 28 double or triple-headed engine sets. There's a few left on passing sidings that will have to be moved to staging yards now. But all main lines are completely open.
Here's some in action, all from the archives.
09-30-19 016.JPG

09-30-19 015.JPG

07-12-19 001.001.JPG

03-03-19 007.JPG

03-03-19 006.JPG

Mike - You can keep that white powder up there please.

Some of the recent comments here regarding E-Mail have been both enlightening and perplexing. I have absolutely no issues with mine, my ISP provided Zimbra Web Client for all customers. It's optional and I could remove it, but why? It has a lot of layers of security and can be adjusted for lots of stuff. The only limit with it is a maximum of ten attachments in a single message; not truly a limiting factor with my usage. It pre-filters for virus's and other harmful stuff, and you can set up the tolerance for Spam mail. The only Spam problem I have is with Norton/McAfee, which seem to have a million addresses that they send from. If they think that badgering me every day will get my business, then they are wrong.I don't feel that I need to be so connected that I need an E-Mail app on the phone, I can wait until I am home.

Everybody have a great Monday.

Good morning, everyone.

It's just plain cold out there today! It is 21 degrees, but the wind chill is in the single digits, Tonight is going to be 12 degrees. Looks like mid 40s by the middle of the week.

I was surprised after not being run and having last year's gad the snowblower fired right up yesterday. Normally with 3' of snow and warming up in the mid 40s I wouldn't have done much with it. It was more of a test. That was the one thing I forgot to deal with this spring. It did have stabil additive in it so I'm sure that helped.

Stay warm everyone!

It's not location as far as I know. It is based on some sort of token saved on the machine once you have authenticated once. That's how it has worked for me. Even when I move or Comcast routes things differently or my IP changes I don't have to re-authenticate

It's not location as far as I know. It is based on some sort of token saved on the machine once you have authenticated once. That's how it has worked for me. Even when I move or Comcast routes things differently or my IP changes I don't have to re-authenticate
"We've noticed you are logging in from a device or location you haven't used before. We need to email or text you a code to verify it's really you".

"We've noticed you are logging in from a device or location you haven't used before. We need to email or text you a code to verify it's really you".
You're not using a VPN are you?

I have not kept up with IT developments since the early 90s, other than as a end user.

I cannot help but notice the effect on my system every time Microsoft initiates a new "major update". Especially vulnerable, are non Microsoft components that compete with their subscription services. Normally, there is a work around or an update from the vendor of the software I use, but for a few days after the update, it's annoying.

Eventually, once everything settles in I'm good until the next major update.
"If you don't like it, stop using our service".
Such arrogance speaks volumes as to why "we" might need further controls on Monopolys, as both Apple and Microsoft jointly control the bulk of our IT. We are now starting to see the long term effects of Deregulation.

The only Spam problem I have is with Norton/McAfee, which seem to have a million addresses that they send from. If they think that badgering me every day will get my business, then they are wrong.
Ha! I'm beginning to believe that most known computer viruses originated with Norton or McAfee, in order to build their otherwise unnecessary business lines.

Since Norton bought Life-Lock (Identity Theft Insurance), they are actually worse, and more intrusive than McAfee. BTW: The protections provided within Windows, by Microsoft, work just as well as any third party utility, without the constant hard sell.

Now, I'm off to find room in the freezer for the "free" Thanksgiving Ham, without displacing other "futures".

Hey there , Sherrel's back ... actually not been anywhere ... just sort of busy with "stuff".
Contrary to what LOUIS said - I watched some very good college games over the weekend - and, for the most part - good NFL as well! Surprise, surprise - most teams that I pulled for actually won?
Good thing that I do not bet on Sports!

Started the day at 41f and are at 66 as we speak - supposed to reach 71 later; the sky is mostly sunny and very little wind is hardly moving the tree leaves.

TERRY - I guess that I HAVE to ask? Seriously, why do you need so many different e-mails?
I have just had the one Gmail account for ever since they started it and have never had a problem no matter where in the U.S. I have been, but then again, I don't have terrybites of data to worry about?

FWIW - I miss JAZ's ramblings too! I hope she is well?

The protections provided within Windows, by Microsoft, work just as well as any third party utility, without the constant hard sell.
I believe this to be true as well! My laptop is 3 years old. It came with the one year of McAfee. I never renewed. My Microsoft window defender says there are no issues but the McAfee always pops up and says to renew immediately, there are dozens of problems that need immediate attention.

Christmas tree is up and decorated. Dawn had to explain to our granddaughter where each bauble came from and how old they are. Some are Victorian. Some Edwardian. Some from New York. Plus an eclectic number that bring memories.
Tomorrow it will be decorating the rooms time. No grandchildren to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back