Switching Eras - Again (Am I crazy or what?)

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
...I might even have to change my username, too!

After much reflection, I've concluded that switching to CSX 3 years ago was a bad decision. During this time I haven't met a single 'nother CSX modeler within a 45-minute drive of where I live, and besides that, I dread the thought of having to install operating ditch lights on all of my contemporary motive power fleet :eek: .

I still have a healthy number of Stewart F-units in B&O garb that only need decoders and some additional details [grabirons, etc.], a few P2K and Atlas geeps - and a large quantity of freightcars that would be right at home on a late-sixties era pike. I did the math, and found I will only need to buy ~half the number of new engines as what I currently have in CSX.

Obviously I'll try to sell my CSX engines to recover some of my investment in them. On the 'down' side: They are not 'virgin' models, so that knocks a hefty chunk off of their resale value. But on the 'up' side: (1) All except one of these engines did not have decoders when I first bought them, but now they do; (2) the ones that were factory-painted have been renumbered to avoid duplication; (3) some of them have been custom-painted (not an easy task with the CSX "bright future" scheme!); and (4) several of them have been lightly weathered based on prototype photos, i.e. not haphazardly. I'm hoping I can recover at least 50% of what I originally paid for the base models. I'm NOT going to list them on That Auction Site - I'll setup a table at a train show so potential buyers can see what they're getting, and test-run them.

I've already confirmed sources for the new engines/freight cars I want to buy, so I know they're available. [And YES I've fore-warned the CFO <LOL>] I hope none of you talks me out of going thru with this plan, but OTOH, if it's half-baked I don't want to get myself in trouble either!

First of all you have more than one question here, and I'd like to point out that being crazy and changing eras are two different subjects. We all know where you stand on the crazy question even if you don't.

Second, you have an erroneous assumption that if you sell something on eBay you will only get 50% or less than your original investment. That cannot be farther from the truth. You may not make up for your time, but whether or not you get 50% or your cost of the loco or 150% of your investment depends on how you market it. If you post a crappy picture and say used CSX GP-38, you may not get even 50%. However, if you take multiple pictures that detail the improvements you have made and show off just how good the models look and you stress how your customizations make your hardly-used models so superior to stock new, and use wording that makes people fight for who gets the right to own a model made by the guy who presented at the 2006 NMRA Convention, you are going to far better than putting them on a table a train swap meet where everyone is looking for a bargain. I can tell you that I rarely get less than I paid for my models--even the ones that I bought off of eBay and turned around and resold without using them.

You just have to emphasize how special they are. 99% of the guys in this hobby do not have the skills that you have--and they know it. Some are willing to pay to have a really cool looking model.

Now as to changing eras. If your bliss is operating with others who model what you do, fine change eras.

However, most of the guys whose layouts I operate on, model what interests them. When I go to their layout, I run their trains. They have trains set to run on schedules and or routes that make sense on their layout and if I were to bring my trains to run, it would disrupt their operational plan.

Every once in a while, they have sessions where people can bring their engines, etc. but they have to suspend normal operations to do so.

So you have to decide what makes you feel good.

If you decide to sell your CSX stuff, I can help you with that. Just email me what you want to do and I can help you with marketing strategy. I have worked with others before.

Crazy? No, but I agree with Chip and question your reason. Perhaps I am not clear as to why you want to have a layout in the same time era or with the same road name. Do these area modelers insist that everyone have the same? or shun anyone that acts as an individual? Not my kind of folks!

Heck, I enjoy going to and running on different layout schemes rather it be time era, road names, or design. I don't think that it would be as interesting if everyone was doing the same.

Now, if you want to go back in time, a time when railroads were much more romantic, then go for it.:) :D

If it's what you want Ken do it, but don't do it just to please another group of modelers, heck if you are the only CSX modeler, perhaps they need kicking into the modern era instead of kicking you back in time.
Whatever you decide do it, you don't have to justify yourself to anyone.

I love the CSX!!! :D

Could you alternate between two eras? You could display your models in a wall case when they are "off layout" and still enjoy them a lot. It might be tough to count rivets and do two time eras, but if you go the less fanatical route (not calling you a fanatic Ken, just a terminology thing) and accept some "modelers license" as part of the reality of the plan, two eras could add a good bit of enjoyment to your model railroading.

Thanx everybody for your replies! Sorry it took me so long to get back but I hosted my daughter Stephanie's 9yr birthday party today and it's been a continuous stream of honey-do's since about noon. I started typing in this post ~5pm, then my in-laws showed up for supper and - you guessed it - more honey-do's. (Who was it that said Sundays are supposed to be a day of rest?:rolleyes: )

That's a great bunch of insights you all shared, precisely the reason I posted the question on here. Sometimes I get an idea in my head and it seems great for ~72 hours, during which time I spend money like crazy. Then sobriety sets in (I'm NOT talking booze here <LOL>) and it's too late to turn back. So it helps if I bounce the idea off others who don't have a vested interest in my decision.

I spent about 90 minutes on the phone Saturday with a local modeler [named John] I used to hang out with regularly, up until ~ 4 years ago. I'm not implying cause-and-effect here, but I believe if I'd spoken with John before my CSX decision in November 2004, I'd probably still be modeling B&O. Our conversation brought back many fond memories of my B&O modeling years. He's almost finished building his own layout now, and wants me to join him for regular op sessions. I'd love to pose some of my own B&O models on his scale replication of the Old Main Line.

If you decide to sell your CSX stuff, I can help you with that. Just email me what you want to do and I can help you with marketing strategy. ...
I'm sure you could Chip! My reason for avoiding eBay is the potential headaches of somebody not being satisfied with a loco after they receive it, then I have to process returns, etc., etc.

However, what I'll probably do is hang onto my modern stuff, and just put a freeze on acquiring any new CSX locos - maybe pickup B&O units here-and-there as cash flow permits.

I love the CSX!!! :D ...
Me too Eric, I just wish alot more people shared your enthusiasm - especially in my region or on the forums. There's a large number of WM fans up here who positively loathe CSX and its predecessor, Chessie System - they firmly believe that Chessie management bought control of the WM (which was very well-run and thriving) only so they could liquidate it and eliminate a possible competitive threat to the B&O going into Baltimore. Seems as though CSX has taken on the role of 'whipping-boy' that Penn Central endured in its day.

... Do these area modelers insist that everyone have the same? or shun anyone that acts as an individual? Not my kind of folks!
Actually Rex, there's an entrenched 'old-boy' network up here of guys who once belonged to the now-defunct Mount Clare Division of the NMRA. Many of them wear Mt Clare patches on their jackets as a status symbol. All they do is talk with each other about the good ol' days, they share a common bond not unlike college fraternity brothers. Nothing deliberately evil on their part; they just have each other, they don't need any new friends. If I want to be involved in the NMRA, I have to drive an hour to Northern VA where the Potomac Division is headquartered.

Now, if you want to go back in time, a time when railroads were much more romantic, then go for it.:) :D
Along those lines, I do want to have some interlocking towers along my pike. The Sykesville station which I have a model of, was converted to a restaurant in the early 1990's. And work trains have given way to private contractors with Hi-Rail trucks. Long-distance CTC has made everything so sterile!

Whatever you decide do it, you don't have to justify yourself to anyone.
True Steve, very true - except I do have to account to the CFO for any excessive spending!:D

After two committed years as a Model Railroader, I'm starting over for my third time! It has taken me 3 tries to decide what I want, and each revision has yielded a clearer understanding and increased enjoyment in what I want to do.

I've tried to be really honest with myself and say what exactly do I want to do. So the question is what do YOU want to do.

I'm not so confident that one can get their price out of Ebay these days and I don't think marketing helps much. Seems to me there are generally two kinds of buyers there today, those who are looking for new stuff and skimmers and bargain hunters looking for something for less. Since you don't have new, your' either going to make old stuff look like it is equivalent to new or take your chances with the bargain hunters.

Just my 2 cents, never worth anything more!

Joe

Ken there's always the fail safe. "No expressed, written or implied guarantee comes with these units. I can say that they DID run on my layout before I sold them. What you see, is what you're getting, if YOU mis-judge, its on YOU."

Works fine for me.

How much you want for the slug, and, well what DO you have?

So then you won't be drooling over this when it gets done?
IMG_0553.jpg

Anyhoooo, Back to the subject I changed era's and I changed scales at once. I went from N scale Southern Railway in the 70's to HO scale Modern day Southern Railway. I wouldn't sell your locos, you might want them later.

I've tried to be really honest with myself and say what exactly do I want to do. So the question is what do YOU want to do. ...

Actually Joe I did figure out exactly what I want to do: Get back into B&O modeling, but not all-at-once - and definitely not in such a way that would force me to sell all these locos that I've invested so much sweat-equity into!

How much you want for the slug, and, well what DO you have?
Josh, sorry to dissappoint you - but the selloff plan is on indefinite hold :D

So then you won't be drooling over this when it gets done?
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/SouthernSD80MAC/IMG_0553.jpg
Smoke, I'll always drool over any well done custom-painted loco, regardless of road or era. My "official" CSX era ends at the year 2002 (before the YN3 scheme appeared), but I'd gladly MU that SD80Mac to any of my units for a photo op!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound like you're gonna be dual era modeling now! Welcome aboard (*not many people know that I model the 60's too, in very limited numbers).

Back