Magilla’s first layout build.

magilla12

OK here we go , I’m starting a 4 x 8 layout HO scale. I’m going to use the layout out of the book HO railroad that grows. I have a train set I’ve had for years that will be my starter set I’m planning on getting atlas code 100 track not sure on what transformer to get yet looking for suggestions on that. We’re starting to gather supplies. Live in a small town so most of it will be mail order. Here’s the train we have. AF5B9338-2EC8-4C7A-B6C6-F21609535C21.jpeg728592C2-D6DE-482C-8F34-B72D50AB541C.jpeg

Good luck going forward. The transformer that comes with this set, although I don't recognize the brand, should be sufficient for a 4' x 8' layout.
Things to consider: Do you just want to see trains go around and around? Or do you want to build in switching opportunities? Do you want a second inner loop or a passing siding? How soon do you plan to expand?;)I am not familiar with the layout that you referenced.
I don't see switches in the box, so that might be your first purchase. Install them in the beginning even if they lead to no where. I would add a second terminal track, or learn to solder additional feeder wires at additional points.
Recommendations: Try to avoid taking the track apart and reassembling it with any frequency, as this will weaken the rail joiners and eventually affect the current flow. Many folks solder the rail joiners or the track. I do not because of potential expansion/contraction issues with the plywood. But I have power feeders connected to every track section. I use flex track so there's a feeder every 6' or so. Use as much flex track as possible, even on dead-straight sections to reduce the track connections.
If you are going to use DC for power, then a MRC power pack is usually the best choice. You will need a second one if you have an inner loop that you wish to control separately at the same time.
Replace the horn-hook couplers with Kadees as soon as possible. Exchange wheels for metal ones if you plan to stay in the hobby for long.
Learn about DCC and decide if it is right for you. I use DC because I am a solo operator, I can only control one train at a time, sound means nothing to me, and I don't want to pay for or install decoders in 80 engines! I do have multiple power supplies, but as I stated, I can only pay attention to one train at a time.
Post pictures as you progress since we all love pictures. Ask as many questions as you have, the only dumb one is the one that you don't ask! If you have the time, come join us in the Coffee Shop for both train banter and useless chatter. There's a lot of action there although it's not everybody's cup of coffee!

OK here we go , I’m starting a 4 x 8 layout HO scale. I’m going to use the layout out of the book HO railroad that grows. I have a train set I’ve had for years that will be my starter set I’m planning on getting atlas code 100 track not sure on what transformer to get yet looking for suggestions on that. We’re starting to gather supplies. Live in a small town so most of it will be mail order. Here’s the train we have.View attachment 159747View attachment 159748
As to your transformer question, you have one in the box, should work fine with your locomotive or any DC locomotive.

DC is the simplest system and unless you want to do fancy stuff with multiple locomotives, or join a train club and run on their track, you can have a lifetime of fun with your DC system.

Look forward to seeing your work!

Dave LASM

Good luck going forward. The transformer that comes with this set, although I don't recognize the brand, should be sufficient for a 4' x 8' layout.
Things to consider: Do you just want to see trains go around and around? Or do you want to build in switching opportunities? Do you want a second inner loop or a passing siding? How soon do you plan to expand?;)I am not familiar with the layout that you referenced.
I don't see switches in the box, so that might be your first purchase. Install them in the beginning even if they lead to no where. I would add a second terminal track, or learn to solder additional feeder wires at additional points.
Recommendations: Try to avoid taking the track apart and reassembling it with any frequency, as this will weaken the rail joiners and eventually affect the current flow. Many folks solder the rail joiners or the track. I do not because of potential expansion/contraction issues with the plywood. But I have power feeders connected to every track section. I use flex track so there's a feeder every 6' or so. Use as much flex track as possible, even on dead-straight sections to reduce the track connections.
If you are going to use DC for power, then a MRC power pack is usually the best choice. You will need a second one if you have an inner loop that you wish to control separately at the same time.
Replace the horn-hook couplers with Kadees as soon as possible. Exchange wheels for metal ones if you plan to stay in the hobby for long.
Learn about DCC and decide if it is right for you. I use DC because I am a solo operator, I can only control one train at a time, sound means nothing to me, and I don't want to pay for or install decoders in 80 engines! I do have multiple power supplies, but as I stated, I can only pay attention to one train at a time.
Post pictures as you progress since we all love pictures. Ask as many questions as you have, the only dumb one is the one that you don't ask! If you have the time, come join us in the Coffee Shop for both train banter and useless chatter. There's a lot of action there although it's not everybody's cup of coffee!
Thanks for the info, I’ve already ordered most of the track, I didn’t think about using flex track. I’ll for sure use it more when I expand. Here’s a poor pic of the layout. image.jpg

Hi magilla12,

I'm guessin' the transformer (and the set) was made by Mehano, by looking close at the transformer in your picture. Looks like they included a fair amount of track in the box. Maybe even more sections than the ubiquitous starter set oval that's usually included with the average train set?

As I said previously in another thread, I've always kinda' liked that plan (I also have the book). The grades may be a little steep, thereby limiting you to short train lengths. And also once again, it's a great plan for learning the basics, including grades and reverse loops.

Are you planning on building the layout in stages, as depicted in the book? Or will you skip some of the early stages and start out by jumping in right away with stage 6? Or other? Keep us us posted!

Hi magilla12,

I'm guessin' the transformer (and the set) was made by Mehano, by looking close at the transformer in your picture. Looks like they included a fair amount of track in the box. Maybe even more sections than the ubiquitous starter set oval that's usually included with the average train set?

As I said previously in another thread, I've always kinda' liked that plan (I also have the book). The grades may be a little steep, thereby limiting you to short train lengths. And also once again, it's a great plan for learning the basics, including grades and reverse loops.

Are you planning on building the layout in stages, as depicted in the book? Or will you skip some of the early stages and start out by jumping in right away with stage 6? Or other? Keep us us posted!
I plan on laying all the track first then work on the details. I want to try and model the landscape of were I’m from. The red dirt on NW Oklahoma.

Me too, I’ve been studying this for a couple weeks. I think it will make sense when I get My table built and start laying everything out.
Any chance you can change the dimensions from 4x8 to 5x9, and then grow the layout from that size? Or even 5x8, or 4x9? I've found over the years, that going from a 4' wide to 5' wide layout, can add a lot in terms of the size of locos and rolling stock that will operate reliably. That includes lengthening/reducing grades, and things like that, which mean you might be able to operate longer trains, or trains at more realistic speeds. Plus more space, means maybe another industry, or more space for scenery in general.

Any chance you can change the dimensions from 4x8 to 5x9, and then grow the layout from that size? Or even 5x8, or 4x9? I've found over the years, that going from a 4' wide to 5' wide layout, can add a lot in terms of the size of locos and rolling stock that will operate reliably. That includes lengthening/reducing grades, and things like that, which mean you might be able to operate longer trains, or trains at more realistic speeds. Plus more space, means maybe another industry, or more space for scenery in general.
I would if I could find a 5X9’ sheet of plywood. Grade is addressed in detail in the book, as is a 5x9 layout. I’m still in the planning gathering phase so anything is possible.

I would if I could find a 5X9’ sheet of plywood. Grade is addressed in detail in the book, as is a 5x9 layout. I’m still in the planning gathering phase so anything is possible.
5' x 9' layout addressed? Sorta' kinda'. What they show in the book is the 4' x 8' layout super-imposed on a 5' x 9' table to simply show more available room around the outside of the track plan for scenery purposes, and/or possibly throw an extra siding or two around the outside of the track plan, as opposed to enlarging the actual plan with larger curves.

On a 5' x 9' table, one might be able to go to 22" radius curves instead of the 18" curves (and you might have to go to 5' x 10' in order to achieve this), but now we're talking more time in re-drawing and/or re-scaling the layout in order to make sure that everything works out properly. Scaling up the curves? Not a problem. But scaling up the Snap-Switch turnouts with their built-in 18" radius diverging track? Oops - unless we hand lay our turnouts, that's gonna' start presenting problems.

For anyone's first layout, they would probably be wisest to stick with a proven plan and leave custom modifying for later on down the road after gaining some good, initial experience. Plus they'll be up & running a lot sooner! 👍

5' x 9' layout addressed? Sorta' kinda'. What they show in the book is the 4' x 8' layout super-imposed on a 5' x 9' table to simply show more available room around the outside of the track plan for scenery purposes, and/or possibly throw an extra siding or two around the outside of the track plan, as opposed to enlarging the actual plan with larger curves.

On a 5' x 9' table, one might be able to go to 22" radius curves instead of the 18" curves (and you might have to go to 5' x 10' in order to achieve this), but now we're talking more time in re-drawing and/or re-scaling the layout in order to make sure that everything works out properly. Scaling up the curves? Not a problem. But scaling up the Snap-Switch turnouts with their built-in 18" radius diverging track? Oops - unless we hand lay our turnouts, that's gonna' start presenting problems.

For anyone's first layout, they would probably be wisest to stick with a proven plan and leave custom modifying for later on down the road after gaining some good, initial experience. Plus they'll be up & running a lot sooner! 👍
It also says you can add 6” sections of track at the locations Z on the master plan to stretch the track a little.

Oops on me! I looked through my book last night, and forgot about that one. 🤪

I guess I got off on a wild hair about going with larger radii curves. Which allows for bigger locomotives and rolling stock. I'm always an advocate for going with larger curves and bigger turnouts whenever/wherever possible.

By all means, if desired, you can go with a larger table and add 6" straights where shown, because since this is noted in the book, it still fits the category of a "proven plan". 👍

Trains don't go in circles
Actually that is incorrect.
Look at this ATSF map and trace all of the circles. One example is from Belen NM east to Amarillo TX, north to La Junta CO and back south to Belen. There's some figure 8's in there too.

1673864159931.png

Disclaimer: While I have a point to point around the walls layout, it isn't always practical for beginners or those with obstructions in the way.
And contrary to what's stated in post #3, DC is way harder to run multiple trains with than DCC.
DC doesn't require any fancy equipment to use. Some of us can't pay attention to two trains at once.
Some modelers just want to see trains run without enjoying switching.

Yet Christian, Smudge and Rico agree with me and represent hundreds of silent members who would as well !
I’m sorry you don’t like the 4 x 8 layout I have chosen and suggest a wall mount system. What makes you think I have a wall to use. Guys like you are the reason I’m hesitant to post in forums but I can solve that problem pretty easily. Good bye, I’m out!

I’m sorry you don’t like the 4 x 8 layout I have chosen and suggest a wall mount system. What makes you think I have a wall to use. Guys like you are the reason I’m hesitant to post in forums but I can solve that problem pretty easily. Good bye, I’m out!
Hi magilla12,

Pay no attention to ol' what's his name. Some folks are so full of themselves that they think their way is the only way. Besides, I have a truly GREAT hint for you.............

Hover your cursor over his avatar and wait a few seconds.......... when some information pops up, look for the little note that says "Ignore". Click on it, refresh the page, and enjoy. That's what I just did.

Back