Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 40°, should start clearing in a couple of hours on the way up to 60° later today. No change in the ten day weather outlook, still four days of possible rain starting tomorrow.

Today of course, is the anniversary of the JFK assassination. Since I was in grade school in Dallas at the time, it is a poignant memory for me.

Even though it was overcast and chilly yesterday, I did spend time splitting wood outside. Looks to be about a week's worth. Only minor aches this morning. Seems like there were a lot of mundane household chores to do as well.

Nothing special on tap for today, but I might just extend my walk a bit since the weather should be nice. I still have no last minute grocery shopping list for Thanksgiving, nice outcome.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the project progress reported on yesterday.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I made more progress. Basically all of the ground cover is done. I now need to add weeds, trees and probably some bushes.
IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

Then I'll do some appropriate weathering on the General Store and the Antiques Barn.
Meanwhile over on the workbench, I looked at the tractor a bit. First was going through my collection of wheels. I narrowed it down to two possibilities.
IMG_2514.JPG

I'm picking the one on the right even though it is a little bigger than I think is right. But I won't have to trim three spokes out. I had to ream out the mounting hole slightly from .027" to .031" to fit on the steering column.
Then I turned my attention to the missing fuel tank. A piece of styrene sprue was cut to size and I drilled some holes in the bottom to match the holes in the chassis.
IMG_2519.JPG

Added legs which aren't quite prototypical, and a filler spout and presto!
IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

It is a gravity-fed tank so this will work. The actual mounts are considerably thinner. Some green paint will be next after I work on the seat.
I'm not sure if I will have time in the next few days to continue, it depends on Thanksgiving prep. Remember that I am coordinating a sit-down dinner for 36 people which includes two turkeys.

Alan - I like the idea of the '68 Camaro at the diner, and I probably have one. But my era is '78-'94 and I don't think Guy had his drivers license then.
James - I never had to track my own time at work, but part of my duties was to manage projects. I had to track other peoples time for projects that might last a couple of weeks to as long as two years for a new product introduction.
Troy - Not too sure that I could ever get a tampon into my nostril.
Ken (D&J) - Have a safe trip to Detroit. Hope that the operating sessions are as successful (or better) as the last one. Be sure to take plenty of pictures.
Todd - I agree and I am a meat and potatoes guy as well. After all, the Good Lord gave us omnivorous teeth.

Everybody have a wonderful day today.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 40°, should start clearing in a couple of hours on the way up to 60° later today. No change in the ten day weather outlook, still four days of possible rain starting tomorrow.

Today of course, is the anniversary of the JFK assassination. Since I was in grade school in Dallas at the time, it is a poignant memory for me.

Even though it was overcast and chilly yesterday, I did spend time splitting wood outside. Looks to be about a week's worth. Only minor aches this morning. Seems like there were a lot of mundane household chores to do as well.

Nothing special on tap for today, but I might just extend my walk a bit since the weather should be nice. I still have no last minute grocery shopping list for Thanksgiving, nice outcome.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the project progress reported on yesterday.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I made more progress. Basically all of the ground cover is done. I now need to add weeds, trees and probably some bushes.
View attachment 156415
View attachment 156414
Then I'll do some appropriate weathering on the General Store and the Antiques Barn.
Meanwhile over on the workbench, I looked at the tractor a bit. First was going through my collection of wheels. I narrowed it down to two possibilities.
View attachment 156416
I'm picking the one on the right even though it is a little bigger than I think is right. But I won't have to trim three spokes out. I had to ream out the mounting hole slightly from .027" to .031" to fit on the steering column.
Then I turned my attention to the missing fuel tank. A piece of styrene sprue was cut to size and I drilled some holes in the bottom to match the holes in the chassis.
View attachment 156417
Added legs which aren't quite prototypical, and a filler spout and presto! View attachment 156418
View attachment 156419
It is a gravity-fed tank so this will work. The actual mounts are considerably thinner. Some green paint will be next after I work on the seat.
I'm not sure if I will have time in the next few days to continue, it depends on Thanksgiving prep. Remember that I am coordinating a sit-down dinner for 36 people which includes two turkeys.

Alan - I like the idea of the '68 Camaro at the diner, and I probably have one. But my era is '78-'94 and I don't think Guy had his drivers license then.
James - I never had to track my own time at work, but part of my duties was to manage projects. I had to track other peoples time for projects that might last a couple of weeks to as long as two years for a new product introduction.
Troy - Not too sure that I could ever get a tampon into my nostril.
Ken (D&J) - Have a safe trip to Detroit. Hope that the operating sessions are as successful (or better) as the last one. Be sure to take plenty of pictures.
Todd - I agree and I am a meat and potatoes guy as well. After all, the Good Lord gave us omnivorous teeth.

Everybody have a wonderful day today.
Looking brilliant as always Willie, the steering wheel on the right, is the right one for the tractor as it looks to be before powered steering, so a larger wheel would be correct.

They need to outlaw ice.
A chilly 27 degrees here in Virginia. The homeless are really hatin life this morning.
I'm goin down to the Richmond, VA Science Museum today to help with the final setup of our club modules. I'll take a short train along to run to test the track and a few tools to make corrections or repairs.
Outlawing ice, I will support this action!

Hello from the cave. I was in the train room but I think yeilding an Xacto knife in my sprained right hand might be a bit on the not a bright idea side of things.

I actually feel very good now that I have 3 tablets of 200mg each of Ibuprofen in me. Visitors, geez, I didn’t die! The grandkids were here before school. My brother asked if I would be ready to play 2 days in January. I told jhim Inam done playing his tournament golf. He said, yeah he remembers but 2023 is a new year! My sister even sent frickin flowers. Flowers, for what she spent she could have gotten me an Exactrail coil car. But it’s the gesture. My Endocrinologist and Terrys good friend stopped by before heading to the Clinic. She gets morning messages for any of her patients in ER or admitted to the hospital the day before. I guess I qualified for her list. She says I’ll survive as she and Terry talked over coffee.

I did some very minor cleaning in the train room. A touch light headed when I bend over, so I stopped bending over. I cleaned up my workbench and found one of the prelim army drawings for the paper mill I am working on.

639B069B-C03C-441F-A88A-D4B0966EB120.jpeg
EC0FD729-CC5F-42FA-8D21-BDEEF9FFBF8D.jpeg

Good evening. How to stop a nose bleed? Fall on the only patch of ice within 30’ of where you are walking.

When you are bleeding from the forehead, break 2 fingers on the left hand scraping the knuckles and those bleed and sprain the right wrist you no longer worry about a nose bleed. The bruised right side but not broken hip, elbow and shoulder are secondary. What hurts is the stitched up forehead and the gashed right knee that now looks like a balloon. How the knee of the jeans wasn’t ripped before the EMS crew cut the pants knee open is beyond me. I am still cold wrapped In warm blankets.

By the way, my driveway can easily hold a Ford Explorer police SUV, a large Rescue vehicle and a Ambulance with room to spare! I remember that part. The initial scream when I hit the ground and wall I also remember. Terry says the cop was there first and had me covered in a safety blanket pretty much as the officer was getting out of the car. Terry had me already covered but I was laying on ice. The daughter picked us up around 45 minutes ago.

Again I am fine, just living the soap opera called life.
GOD Tom - good thing you are a healthy 71yo - take it easy and relax for a couple days; if you can. Don't let the pain get ahead of you even though you don't like popping pills.

Later

Good morning.

Both the G-kids and myself have been enjoying ourselves playing with trains for the last while. It's been fun. I'm happy to report the children really enjoy it, even if the tracks don't make a complete circle yet.

The photo shows what I call the 'Children's Train'. It's a small collection of the cheapest cars and engines I could find to make a reasonable train for them to play with.
The pic also shows what little progress I'm making with the bridge build. If I can get that bridge built, it will allow joining of the tracks (Golden Spike) and a chance to get into the fun stuff.
Layout-n-Bridge_11-22-2022.JPG

I expect I'll become somewhat of an off/on lurker. This is due to a decision to spend less time on the computer and more time working with my hands. Sadly, most of the time working with my hands has been directed at my son's new house and auto repairs. The layout time will come, though. Probably when the mercury goes below -20.

Here are some old photos of sawmill operations from the 1940's. These operations took place right in the vicinity of my hometown. At the time this sawmill was in operation, Whitecourt was just a hamlet.
I know someone will appreciate these photos:
Whitecourt_1940s (1).jpg

Whitecourt_1940s (2).jpg

Whitecourt_1940s (3).jpg

Whitecourt_1940s (4).jpg

Whitecourt_1940s (5).jpg

Whitecourt_1940s (6).jpg

Whitecourt_1940s (7).jpg

I absolutely love forests and sawmills. Feel fortunate to live in an area that has heaps of forest and some local sawmills. I hope to put lots of sawmill action on my layout. Not modern, but, from the good ol'days.

Well, that's enough lurking for one day. See you soon. Perhaps when the bridge is all put together.

Tom: Glad you are feeling a bit better and (at least as of your writing) have the pain under control.

I don't like narcotics either and when I displaced and broke my ankle (really badly) about 10 or 12 years ago I refused the morphine etc they offered at the ER. They did give me a shot when they actually popped the socket back into place and set it but otherwise I didn't want it. They said I was the only person to come in to the ER that day who actually needed it and the only person who refused it. I did have a prescription for the Lortab and/or the other one I forget and did occasionally use one when trying to go to sleep and the throbbing was making it impossible, but I used way less than they prescribed and wanted me to be taking.

It has been a while since I did a house update. I think I posted about putting up the sacrificial foam layer around the foundation so when they backfilled, rocks and stones would have a harder time puncturing my actual waterproofed foam. I got that done, and they put th epassive "french" drain in and started backfilling. I got the little "well" piece on around the below grade dryer vent and they installed the window well on the one window we have below grade for a bedroom (guest room). They got the sewer hooked up and inspected, and the power conduit and a conduit for cable etc out to the power "poles" -- the little green box by the street and teh water lines to the house installed, and the Geo Thermal guy came and installed their pipig into the house and out to a stub in the back yard. Most of the rest of it was backfilled and the front smoothed and the big pile of dirt is gone that was in front. They also cut down the dirt to approximate grade level and are working at removing the dirt from behind the house. We'll need some to build up to actual grade as the front will be filled in and retained at the sidewalk and currently we are below grade along the sides of the house for easy of machinery etc.

Today the suspended slab guys came in with their crane and pieces and got them placed. I had to, with my son and nephew in law over the past few weekends, smooth out and build up the walls to properly support the slabs as the concrete guys who poured didn't do a great job.

Now I have to waterproof the slab seams, put the rebar in and some foam blocks along the garage wall so we can inspect and pour the garage slab next week.

Pics from the last couple of weeks including this morning with the garage slabs.

68980057329__2F91A7C8-EE5F-4530-BCC5-8C4154C2DDA1.jpegIMG_0042.jpegIMG_0052.jpegIMG_0066.jpegIMG_0075.jpegIMG_0077.jpegIMG_0078.jpegIMG_0079.jpegIMG_0081.jpegIMG_0084.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk in mild temperatures. I spent most of the day working on a Thanksgiving project and son helped out for part of it. I'm not sure what's on the agenda for tomorrow but I'm sure it's related to Thanksgiving. :oops:

TomO- Sorry to hear about what happened and hope you will get better soon. I've used Tylenol III before but it did nothing for me. The last meme is hilarious.

Troy- I'm sure as an author you need a thick skin.

Dave- Nice layout photo. Interesting historical photos.

Willie- I was in grade school in El Paso at the time. I remember all of it. I really like the tractor and barn.

Chad- It looks like a lot of progress.

Here's the latest project that I finished the other day.

layout174.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good morning.

Both the G-kids and myself have been enjoying ourselves playing with trains for the last while. It's been fun. I'm happy to report the children really enjoy it, even if the tracks don't make a complete circle yet.

The photo shows what I call the 'Children's Train'. It's a small collection of the cheapest cars and engines I could find to make a reasonable train for them to play with.
The pic also shows what little progress I'm making with the bridge build. If I can get that bridge built, it will allow joining of the tracks (Golden Spike) and a chance to get into the fun stuff.
View attachment 156470

I expect I'll become somewhat of an off/on lurker. This is due to a decision to spend less time on the computer and more time working with my hands. Sadly, most of the time working with my hands has been directed at my son's new house and auto repairs. The layout time will come, though. Probably when the mercury goes below -20.

Here are some old photos of sawmill operations from the 1940's. These operations took place right in the vicinity of my hometown. At the time this sawmill was in operation, Whitecourt was just a hamlet.
View attachment 156471
View attachment 156472
View attachment 156473
View attachment 156474
View attachment 156475
View attachment 156476
View attachment 156477
I absolutely love forests and sawmills. Feel fortunate to live in an area that has heaps of forest and some local sawmills. I hope to put lots of sawmill action on my layout. Not modern, but, from the good ol'days.

Well, that's enough lurking for one day. See you soon. Perhaps when the bridge is all put together.
Guy - you are probably talking about me here...

Love the pic especially the one that says Noble 1946. I have seen those "big wheels" never saw one made from steel before, just wooden ones whith massive spokes

I love old trucks but those horses...I knew men that logged and farmed with them. Imagine the quiet! They talked about seeing all sorts of wildlife also the sound of the horses breathing and their hooves, don't forget the animal smells which can be quite soothing if you grew up around them

Thanks for posting!!

Curt - fine pic of the hobo camp! I could use a scene like that, may be a few years before I get around to it!

NOt train related, but I hope all my US based friends here have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

Out frozen turkey is thawing in the fridge. 24 hours for every 5 pounds, so it's been thawing since Sunday, hoping to have it thawed by mid day Wednesday in time to go into a brine solution for a 12-20 hour soaking before being roasted on Thursday.

Here are 2 videos I watch every year around this time as I prepare to cook... I have not found a better method to roast a turkey. The brining process is the key.

We've been eating the beyond burgers from Costco. They look and taste like ground beef, and even pretty much cook just like ground beef patties, yet they are vegetable. I'm sold. My wife doesn't like red meat, but she will eat these, so for us they are a great compromise. We both enjoy them. I like red meat, but for a burger on the grill, these beyond burgers are pretty darned good.
We have that trade here in Holland as well. Introducing this they cost way too much (package of 2 for over 5 euro's. Now that they are "only" around 3 euro's I like them. The minced ones do well in Lasagna.

Hello. I am sore but very happy to be home. I went to sleep just after I wrote up about my fall, at 11pm. Slept good till 4 and then tossed and turned which was pretty hard to do. It was more like a very slow roll into a new position. Everything hurts now that I am up and the meds from the ER have worn off. Now it’s normal 200mg of Ibuprofen because I can’t handle anything with oxycodone in it. I have 2 Tylenol with codiene but unless the pain is unmanageable I won’t take them. I have no plans to fill the Prescription.

I do remember starting to slip, screaming when I hit the ground, seeing the cop and EMS but much of it is fuzzy and being put in the ambulance and noticing all the vehicles. Terry explained what happened and what the doctors and staff were telling me. She asked If I remembered the Cat scan and I said no. Good thing because I freak out for cat scans, MRI and anything else where they put me in a tube. There will be no coffin for me, just a box of ashes to be scattered.

2nd time I have fallen in this spot, 1st time though with injuries. The right knee is bandaged and very swollen. Terry said the instructions say ice! I am cold now, I’ll be chilled very soon.

Thanks to those who checked in and wished me good things, prayers and thoughts.
All the best dear friend.

Good morning.

View attachment 156470

View attachment 156471
View attachment 156472
View attachment 156473
View attachment 156474
View attachment 156475
View attachment 156476
View attachment 156477

Nice pictures! Specially when you are in a warm room! (get a cold shiver from the cold nose of those horses) Any narrow gauge rr as far as you know?

I went to a meeting today in a neighbour town. I went there 1 hour before to visite the trainmodel shop, to find they had neither the wood I wanted nor a vintage Ford model.
Anybody overseas can give me some good pictures as well as the measurements? When i visited the States from the train one could see those sad skeletons of hundreds of t-fords and other nice cars rusting in the fields...

I went to a meeting today in a neighbour town. I went there 1 hour before to visite the trainmodel shop, to find they had neither the wood I wanted nor a vintage Ford model.
Anybody overseas can give me some good pictures as well as the measurements? When i visited the States from the train one could see those sad skeletons of hundreds of t-fords and other nice cars rusting in the fields...
Mara, define "Vintage":D Because I know I'm
ancient

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back