Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my author friends that was in Vegas is from Buffalo

She's still in Vegas, paying a rather high amount for two more nights in a different hotel room in the same hotel.... She got to the Harry Reid airport, Friday, only to learn her flight was canceled. Tentatively flying home on Sunday.

She's been texting her adult son, in town for the holidays, telling him to not let Dad shovel.... despite having a plow service for their drive (in a subdivision, not a rural country road).

So, yes, they do have snow shovels in buffalo. But that's just to clean off the path from the drive to the door, and the edges where the plow doesn't get to the exact edge of the concrete.

The hobby is dying, oh yeah. I thought at Trainfest that the majority of the crowd was young, like below 50.

I have a stat page on my Facebook page for my layout I was unaware of. 60% are under 55 who visit

View attachment 156208
I've been hearing "the hobby is dying " for years. Baloney. I don't even answer the posts anymore. I've found that the people who post that stuff are mostly people who are all bent out of shape because of the costs of some models, or because they perceive that the majority of modelers aren't doing the hobby the way they think it should be done. The equivalent of "You kids get off my lawn!" 🤣🤣

Good Morning All. Cloudy here and 32°. It's snowing at the Weather Underground station around the corner, a mile away as the crow flies. Radar shows another pocket east of here stretching into the pasture 150 yards across the road. Radar shows more coming which will dust the SFW estate rather soon. Dusting is about it though. Temperature isn't going any lower and the clouds will be gone by noon. Note that the NWS didn't add this to the forecast until mid-afternoon yesterday. I'm sure one of their cohorts from Amarillo or Lubbock called and told them it was on the way.

Well, the turkey is out and beginning it's thawing process. No room in the fridge, so it's in a Styrofoam cooler with a couple of ice packs. It will take four days to thaw, and then a day in the brine before cooking Thursday morning.

Dreary day yesterday, cloudy cool and windy so I chose to skip splitting wood. I miss sunshine!

Thanks for the reactions yesterday for the latest project.

Despite having extra time out in the train shed yesterday, I split the time between running trains and project work; so I didn't get as far along on the project as I expected.
I did complete the parking area at Fred & Red's, and much of the area in front of the General Store. As you can see from the "whiteness" of the ground cover, I got some more of that done as well.
IMG_2494.JPG

I then turned my attention to the right side, and added more ground cover between the spur and the backdrop. I removed two pine trees next to Drywell Inks and cleaned up that side.
IMG_2492.JPG

The next phase is to add a concrete spillage berm around the ink tank so I can fill in the rest of the ground cover there. While I have worked out the spacing between the restaurant and general store, I don't want to do the placement of the Antiques Barn until the berm and vicinity are determined.

Tom O - Disappointed that we can't see the step by step progress on that module. Maybe just take pictures along the way and mete them out slowly for us!.
When traveling, we avoid Austin, usually taking the tollway past the Tesla factory, or US Hwy 281 through the Hill Country to the west. Still don't see any on the road. I am sure that Austin has a lot of them there. As you posted, "Yes, I know, Austin is an entirely different Texas." It wasn't always that way, then "tech" moved in.
James - Those look like nice sized wild turkeys. Are you allowed to take them? If so, are they tender enough to eat?
Chad - Regarding repairs on Teslas, I read an article yesterday about GM dealers who are servicing them.
GM servicing Teslas.
Snowman -
this isn't commentary about plumber's jeans and the classic butt-crack, as that's been known about and commented on for the last fifty years. Hey...tool belts are heavy. They hold tools, and belts don't often fight gravity off well enough. Housewives have dealt with it and laughed about it for at least that long
Did you (or others) ever see the SNL skit from back in the 70's with Dan Aykroyd and others regarding the repairman. It cracked (no pun intended) the other cast members up so much that they almost halted the skit!

Everybody have a marvelous day. The nearby snow disappeared.

Good Morning All. Cloudy here and 32°. It's snowing at the Weather Underground station around the corner, a mile away as the crow flies. Radar shows another pocket east of here stretching into the pasture 150 yards across the road. Radar shows more coming which will dust the SFW estate rather soon. Dusting is about it though. Temperature isn't going any lower and the clouds will be gone by noon. Note that the NWS didn't add this to the forecast until mid-afternoon yesterday. I'm sure one of their cohorts from Amarillo or Lubbock called and told them it was on the way.

Well, the turkey is out and beginning it's thawing process. No room in the fridge, so it's in a Styrofoam cooler with a couple of ice packs. It will take four days to thaw, and then a day in the brine before cooking Thursday morning.

Dreary day yesterday, cloudy cool and windy so I chose to skip splitting wood. I miss sunshine!

Despite having extra time out in the train shed yesterday, I split the time between running trains and project work; so I didn't get as far along on the project as I expected.
I did complete the parking area at Fred & Red's, and much of the area in front of the General Store. As you can see from the "whiteness" of the ground cover, I got some more of that done as well.
View attachment 156237
I then turned my attention to the right side, and added more ground cover between the spur and the backdrop. I removed two pine trees next to Drywell Inks and cleaned up that side.
View attachment 156238
The next phase is to add a concrete spillage berm around the ink tank so I can fill in the rest of the ground cover there. While I have worked out the spacing between the restaurant and general store, I don't want to do the placement of the Antiques Barn until the berm and vicinity are determined.

Tom O - Disappointed that we can't see the step by step progress on that module. Maybe just take pictures along the way and mete them out slowly for us!.
When traveling, we avoid Austin, usually taking the tollway past the Tesla factory, or US Hwy 281 through the Hill Country to the west. Still don't see any on the road. I am sure that Austin has a lot of them there. As you posted, "Yes, I know, Austin is an entirely different Texas." It wasn't always that way, then "tech" moved in.
James - Those look like nice sized wild turkeys. Are you allowed to take them? If so, are they tender enough to eat?
Chad - Regarding repairs on Teslas, I read an article yesterday about GM dealers who are servicing them.
GM servicing Teslas.
Snowman -

Did you (or others) ever see the SNL skit from back in the 70's with Dan Aykroyd and others regarding the repairman. It cracked (no pun intended) the other cast members up so much that they almost halted the skit!

Willie, I asked Tom this same question, but would like to know what you use for your earth and car park ground cover, especially in the last two photo's you've posted.

Good Morning All!
5F and clear so far. Suspect it will be a mostly sunny day - high of 28F

Is the hobby dying? I tend to agree with Espeefan - with the only exception of scratch building stuff. The younger lot are mostly 'I want it now' types and seem to have the money to buy what they want. In my humble opinion, even 10 years ago you rarely saw a scratch built item on eBay, nor were any of the current manufactures offering pre-built. Now days, there are a ton of them out there. And on top of that, take a look at the advertiser pages in MR - many companies will build what you want; or at least have some pre-built thing in their showcase. In any event, I still love watching young kids at a RR crossing waiting for the train cuz the arms came down or the driver was smart enough to stop. Most of the time they are pretty much just like me - face splat on the window...waiting. Although now days, I don't drool that much anymo.

Today is Venison stew day. Just filled the LARGE crockpot with carrots, celery, mushrooms, onion, white spuds, regular spuds, green beans along with chicken stock, pepper and garlic. Deer chunks will go in after browning with a little of tomato sauce added and hour or so before it is ready. About 1/2 hour before eating, scratch biscuits cut in 1/2 or 1/4 depending on how many I make to fake the dumpling part. Also will do a couple of loaves of homemade bread just for giggles and grins.

Later

Good morning all, 16F and 15 mph NW wind. Got another inch of snow, it looks pretty with full sunshine but feels brutal.

Sooooo thankful we are not getting that heavy snow. Only a narrow band of people with 4' I think

Worked on the train, had to fiddle with a section of track think I got it, put a piece of brass under it where the joiner goes seems to have fixed the problem. It is where the tender wanted to derail, went to make a video train ran fine but video software was free and acts like it. Did not finish the video, decided to move on...

At least the train runs smooth!

Willie - that building with the big tank, does the sign say ink? Would be an awful mess if that tank leaked...

Alan, Todd: When I came on the forum about 2013 they were lamenting over the death of the hobby as I recall. The forum did slow down a lot must go like a roller coaster, just like everything else

Guy - those are nice looking locos

Took a couple pics, had to get behind the layout to fix track got a couple pics from back there:

IMG_2871r.JPG

I literally have to crawl under the layout to get this shot, I am glad I can get back there.

The other taken from standing in the same location, looking the other way:

IMG_2872r.JPG

I like the way everything is looking on this end of the layout.

Have a great day all, I will be inside much of the day so maybe get the video done, we will see

Dave LASM

I've been hearing "the hobby is dying " for years. Baloney. I don't even answer the posts anymore. I've found that the people who post that stuff are mostly people who are all bent out of shape because of the costs of some models, or because they perceive that the majority of modelers aren't doing the hobby the way they think it should be done. The equivalent of "You kids get off my lawn!" 🤣🤣
I was at Trainfest last Saturday. I know the majority were 50 and younger and they were the ones spending. I was surprised though about my FB page for my layout. A few of the guys who I met who I have weathered for were no older then 40. A few I text that are across the country with DFW area of Texas my most clients are all under 50. The guy in New York is under 55.

The hobby is not dying, especially with my small sample to go by.

Alan, I read the open house was super attended and got rave reviews. Daryl Krause on his U tube channel was like a kid in a candy store there.

Last edited:
Good late morning. 3 hours in the train room and no weathering done. Catching up on track work and installed my first working detail. Added back the papermill
1B4CAEB3-A93F-4FAA-B7F6-9827881E886E.jpeg
67214196-1C59-4F30-881F-3D8A13052475.jpeg
723EC8D0-3D10-409D-B42F-B69315FE0007.jpeg
614A3837-6020-4DA1-BE72-DEF02BB2D6DE.jpeg
14411BC4-77B2-4631-954E-65536D78DA76.jpeg
digestor building and Machine building #1 and the shop annex.
FEDE2C21-5118-4315-B7F2-B13EC3406508.jpeg

I cut down the length of the fall protection device

Off to the g/son’s hockey game at 11:45, it’s a long 5 minute drive if we get caught by the 3 lights in town. Then we head out to the UW campus for more hockey at 2.

Last edited:
Good morning, all! "Mel, pull up your jeans".
Well, it rained all night, still raining and forecasted to continue raining. I'm thinking I'll get to try out my switch list generator this afternoon. I finally got the random cargo done and it works pretty well.

Death of the hobby - I'm inclined to think not. It may not be the most popular hobby out there, but I think there will always be people fascinated with trains. With so many different facets, wood work, painting, wiring, (dcc and computers), scenery, train watching, switching there is something for nearly anyone. From a simple oval to a massive basement empire. I try to get my grandchildren and great-grandchildren interested. I even worked on my son-in-laws.

Thanksgiving
A lady was picking through the frozen turkeys at the grocery store, but she couldn't find one big enough for her family.

She asked a stock boy,

"Do these turkeys get any bigger?"

The stock boy replied, "No ma'am, they're dead.

STAY SAFE
LATER

PS. Mrs. Claus has told me Santa is bring 4 laser cut structures for a good little, but old, boy. I think she meant me.

View attachment 156237
View attachment 156238

GM servicing Teslas.
Snowman -

Willie, the lack of pictures was a big sticking point. I can take them, I agreed not to post them per his demands! Basically he wants people and his friends to see it first on his page. I have about 25 from yesterday’s framing, glueing and structure prep. I will cut that to maybe 5 for the day 1 and move them into a seperate folder. Different from my normal procedure, he is not getting any pictures until it’s almost done. I have been known to overwhelm a client with pictures of the process, ask James! Actually, thinking back, not to many sent to him.

I like to post progress photos so I get constructive criticism to help me out. This time it’s just Terry and her sometimes brutal opinions. “I don’t like it, no I don’t know why“ does get to me sometimes. But, she is also my best critic and encourager.

Before I forget, this one is for my Brit friends

You can get my first cozy book for free (the ebook version) and tell me everything I got wrong about Britishness, or Welshness (it's set in a small mythical village near the Welsh/English border somewhat SW of Shrewsbury.

It's free worldwide, so anyone can order and read it... but the Brits - and especially the Welsh - love to email in or leave a review about everything I got wrong.

eBook 1 is free for a few days, and for readers using the Amazon US or UK stores, you can get eBooks 2 and 3 in the series for 99c each.
Screen Shot 2022-11-19 at 1.08.58 PM.png

https://readerlinks.com/l/3006344

No trains in this series, but there are ghostly chickens, and a snarky talking cat. Book three introduces Pierre, a pompous Pomeranian as a foil to the snarky cat.

And back to your regular grumps and gripes

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

Overthinking it again. I am working on ballasting, and after I did the stuff I'm currently waiting on glue to dry, I only need worry about the top of the cork underlying the track. The sides can be "dirt", different kind of rocks, etc.

Watched the new "A Christmas Story Christmas" yesterday on HBO Max. It was enjoyable butt predictable. I have read a bunch of Jean Shepherd's stories and have the book the original "A Christmas Story " is based on. It's really a anthology of short stories, as are most of his books.

BBL

Before I forget, this one is for my Brit friends

You can get my first cozy book for free (the ebook version) and tell me everything I got wrong about Britishness, or Welshness (it's set in a small mythical village near the Welsh/English border somewhat SW of Shrewsbury.

It's free worldwide, so anyone can order and read it... but the Brits - and especially the Welsh - love to email in or leave a review about everything I got wrong.

eBook 1 is free for a few days, and for readers using the Amazon US or UK stores, you can get eBooks 2 and 3 in the series for 99c each.
View attachment 156249

https://readerlinks.com/l/3006344

No trains in this series, but there are ghostly chickens, and a snarky talking cat. Book three introduces Pierre, a pompous Pomeranian as a foil to the snarky cat.

And back to your regular grumps and gripes
Downloaded the first book in the series, remainder are £2.99, but still worth it, I'm going to enjoy this.

Tesla has been averaging above average costs for warranty repairs, btw based on info I've seen in investing forums. They don't say what that is -- could be bad paint or loose trim or could be something mechanical.
The air lift on the left hand side of our boot failed within weeks, booked in got a performance to play with while they fixed it, but had to travel to the garage and go back for the paint as they had not got the paint shop set up yet, where the door was not opening correctly it was scratching the paint luckily the body work was not damaged but they had to do the whole wing so that there was no noticeable mark.

our cameras bitch quite often in bad weather, but they are not faulty just dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back