Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

I also got another Cornerstone kit....Walthers 933-4106 HO Modern Lumber Transload Industrial Building Kit

modern_lumber_transload_933-4106_big.jpg

20221028_094758.jpg

I got my super dome car in yesterday after waiting a month for it to ship. I bought it on ebay and paid for it on Sept 30th knowing this guy was a slow shipper due to his work schedule. So here it is. On my RR it will fit in nicely. It's just a nice car and I like the super dome car. Even though Union Pacific never had these of their it did run ocassionally on the line.

Interesting enough it came with a decal sheet in the box for whatever numbers you wanted to use or name etc.

Walthers Proto 920-9125 Pullman Super Dome Milwaukee Road-Union Pacific

View attachment 155030View attachment 155031View attachment 155032View attachment 155033View attachment 155034View attachment 155035

View attachment 155036

The Super Domes were not a complete success in Milwaukee Road service. The heavy cars gave a rough ride, and the seats in the dome area gave an inferior view because they lay too low compared to the dome's supporting bulkheads. Still, the fame of having the first full-length dome car was good publicity for the railroad.[3]: 112, 114  After the discontinuance of the Olympian Hiawatha in 1961 Super Domes were seen on some of the services the Milwaukee Road operated with the Union Pacific, including the City of Denver. In 1964 the Milwaukee Road sold six of the domes to the Canadian National Railway, along with the sleeper-lounge Skytop Lounges. The remaining four domes continued on the Twin Cities Hiawatha.[3]: 263 

View attachment 155037

View attachment 155038

Milwaukee Road Cars​

Milwaukee Road began operating UP's City trains between Omaha and Chicago on October 30, 1955.

Milwaukee Road cars operated to Portland, San Francisco, and Los Angeles as part of the three City trains (City of Portland, City of San Francisco, City of Los Angeles), as well as on City of Denver trains to Denver, Colorado.

Based on available information, a preliminary list of MILW cars assigned to UP service (and therefore painted UP yellow and gray) includes:

• MILW 50-series Super Domes (2 cars)
  • MILW 121-126, Diner (6 cars)
  • MILW 163, 166, Tap Car (2 cars)
  • MILW 170, 171, Diner Lounge (2 cars)
  • MILW 173, Tap Car (1 car)
  • MILW 515-534, Leg Rest Coach (20 cars)
  • MILW 552-554, Leg Rest Coach (3 cars)
  • MILW 623, 627, Coach (2 cars)
  • MILW 1208, Mail and Express Car (1 car)
  • MILW 1311, 1317, 1321, 1326, 1336, Express Car (5 cars)
  • MILW 2175, Railway Post Office (1 car)
All Milwaukee Road equipment assigned to the UP "Cities" service MIDWEST HIAWATHA service was equipped with the 8' Nystrom-design trucks, compared to the older, original, and more common, otherwise identical 7' versions. Milwaukee equipment originally assigned to UP service included Mail & Express 1208, Leg Rest coaches 515-34 and 552-554, diner-lounges 170-171, and diners 124 and 126. These cars were among the first to be repainted in UP colors and were assigned to the CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO. Additional cars assigned included Tap cars 163, 166, and 173; express cars 1311, 1317, 1321, 1326, 1336, and RPO 2175. (Dennis Anspach, email dated July 22, 2007; quoted from Morning Sun Milwaukee Road, Volume 4, page 12)

Milwaukee 170-171 were immediately painted UP colors on the Milwaukee's UP Day. Since the Midwest Hiawatha only consisted of two coaches on the rear of the Challenger, with the change they went west. In addition to the two Diner-Tap cars, Twin Cities diners 121 and 126 were also painted and assigned. Milwaukee's initial contribution to UP service can be derived the 1956 Milwaukee passenger car roster, which denoted cars equipped with 8-foot Nystrom trucks. All four food service cars had the Waukesha self-contained A/C system, which UP preferred. The UP also appearently required the longer wheelbase trucks. (Bill Straus, email dated July 22, 2007)

Super Domes​

"November 26, 1957 -- Super Domes now on the Domeliner CITY OF DENVER -- Effective from both Chicago and Denver December 1, Super Dome lounge cars will be placed in operation on the CITY OF DENVER between Chicago and Denver in place of the present 20-seat - Pub lounge cars. These full length dome cars have 68 seats, which are unassigned, for the use of both coach and sleeping car passengers. On the lower deck of the Super Dome car is an attractive lounge seating 28 persons where beverage service is available. These Super Dome cars will be entrained immediately ahead of the diner. We will continue to have the club-lounge car to the rear of the diner for Pullman passengers. -- signed E. A. KLIPPEL, General Passenger Traffic Manager, Union Pacific Railroad" (Jeff Cauthen, email to UP Modelers Yahoo discussion group, August 27, 2009)

The following is from Kratville's "The Union Pacific Streamliners" page 153:

In January 1958 two full length Milw Super domes of the 50 series became idle because of the discontinuing of two trains by that road. All decked out in Streamliner colors, they caused a sensation among those patrons and employees who had never seen such big cars. The Burlington had nothing on their Denver Zephyrs to compare with them!
This regular assignment of these big cars lasted only about a year, however, because on January 11, 1959 the City of Denver and the City of Portland Streamliners were consolidated and operated via Denver as No. 105-106.
According to Milw records, their Super Domes also ran on No. 103-104 for the Holiday Season from December 11, 1963 to January 5, 1964 and on No. 111-112 from May 13-18, 1964 during the shopping of the Union Pacific dome cars.
An accompanying photo is dated August 1969, in Chicago.

Also in Kratville, page 582 is what appears to be a UP publicity photo, without a date or location. The caption says:

No. 112 with a Milw Super Dome and Milw trailing unit. Super Domes were assigned for short period in 1958 to COD and again in the winter of 1963-64.
On page 118 of Joe Welsh's "Union Pacific Streamliners" there is a Kindig photo at Dale, Wyoming dated July 22, 1961 that shows a Milw Super Dome on the second section of Train 104, the eastbound all-coach Challenger.

In the summer of 1961 they were used on the coach section of the "City of Los Angeles" (Chicago-LA). I took a photo in August 1961 of Milw dome car #58 on the "Challenger" coach section on #107. (David Seidel, email dated February 19, 2015)

So with all this information....it is safe to say I am good with running this beautiful car in my consist! .....and I will!
That is a beautiful car. Thanks for the history lesson

EMD SD 40-2 with Paragon3 sound.
Nice Locomotive, previous owner has set the speed very low, even at full throttle scale speed is only around 15mph.

20221101_192238.jpg

Interestingly this is the only Locomotive that I've found fitted with Peco Tension Locks and not Kadee's. Unfortunately these aren't NEM pockets either so I need to swap at least one for a KD coupler.

20221101_192305.jpg

Stay focused, it's about the car.🙃
Oh I love it. It’s about the car. When I get to the brothers house this afternoon I will look. I think Alexander but not sure.

A 3 hour round of best ball and it really was quick. Currently sitting on a patio watching many get drunk which gives me an advantage tomorrow! We are only waiting to see if we scored any dollars in our flight. We will then head out but come back for the 7pm dinner. We will learn then where we stand over all.

Nice stuff waiting for me.

The 4 cars on the left on are for weathering and selling. They are also duplicates of the 3 Walthers Mainline cars I posted a few weeks ago. ADM and especially Wisconsin Central sells very well for me.

The 3 Gp40-2L‘s with sound are for me as is the WC covered hopper.
6E3AE859-FCF6-4E15-8845-D83C27E89686.jpeg

I sold 2-gp38-2’s DCC ready while I was gone and I will ship those this afternoon.

Over at the bench
406F018F-CEC2-43E5-8AD9-6B4DCAC20830.jpeg

Wire strippers, a wheel mask for my own 36” wheelsets, Tamiya cotton swab as an experiment to see if they really are better then the grocery store brand, a Current Keeper and a Tsunami2 decoder for a client install.

I have should some 3D printed equipment for my paper mill coming this week.
52D557A1-34BB-46CA-AE4E-7D796B842E7F.jpeg

But he has never been close to on-time deliveries

That is it for my purchases for 2022. My kids and wife have the rest of my train list for buying me easy gifts for Xmas.

Now it’s time to put stuff up for sale on Facebook groups and HOswap@groups.io

The Tamiya cotton swabs are very nice and work as advertised. Regular cotton swabs, q-tips or what ever you call them IMO fall apart real quick and sometimes leave bits of cotton. The Tamiya hold together wonderfully.

But, they are too expensive at $.10 per piece and I used 3 on one car today. The grocery store brand is less then $.01 or were when I purchased during Covid at 1000 for $1.99

TomO

I don't know if you have a Hobby Lobby near by but these work pretty good too.

TomO

I don't know if you have a Hobby Lobby near by but these work pretty good too.

Thanks James. I will check them out. Those look good for applying pan pastels. I like the Tamiya but it just doesn’t make sense IMO to pay the price

AS I said I am way behind. Here is some more catch up. ....
Include your picture - below.
Tell us About it - The Santa Fe ordered six of the 3460 class "Super" Hudsons in 1937. Ball bearings on all axels and drive gear. Super heated and a few other things. They were signifcantly larger than Santa Fe's prior Hudsons and were the heaviest, largest, and most powerful Hudson type built as the move to diesels stopped further development of the design. The locomotives were assigned to named passenger trains between Chicago and LaJunta Colorado, where the Mountains and Northern Class locomotives took over for the western part of the journey. Of the six locomotives in the class only one was streamlined and named the "Blue Bird", however crews would call her "Mae West" because of the glamor aspect. Somewhere after the fact (scrapped in 1956) apparently model railroaders started calling it the "Blue Goose" which name it is now commonly known. In its hey day the locomotive was used for many publicity photos and promotions. It even got to pose with 4 of the brand new E1 locomotives on the "Chiefs" publicity photo. The Santa Fe made exactly 1 passenger car with this color scheme but for some reason it never got further than that (other than in the AHM/Rivarossi world).

This is a Broadway Limited Paragon 4 Brass/Hybrid offering. What I didn't know is that the blue bird actually had six different paint schemes through its life. This is the last 1953-end paint scheme as that is my era. However I have to say I like the previous 1947 colors where the driving wheels and trucks (even the tenders) were a darker blue.

Review - The detail looks great and in proper proportion. Many of the brass models of this locomotive were too tall by at least 6 scale inches. Later I'll have to get a photo of it side by side with the AHM equivalent to show how really good it looks. As I have no test track a review of performance will have to wait. Down side is that it was pricey (very). And OH YEAH, for the price the packaging is very chincey and cheapo. Nothing like a fine brass model should have.

Reasons for obtaining the item - Once again hard to model passenger trains in the Santa Fe Transition era without having this locomotive in the round house.
1667861907830.png

Last edited:
Tell us About it - The Santa Fe ordered six of the 3460 class "Super" Hudsons in 1937. Ball bearings on all axels and drive gear. Super heated and a few other things. They were signifcantly larger than Santa Fe's prior Hudsons and were the heaviest, largest, and most powerful Hudson type built as the move to diesels stopped further development of the design. The locomotives were assigned to named passenger trains between Chicago and LaJunta Colorado, where the Mountains and Northern Class locomotives took over for the western part of the journey. Of the six locomotives in the class only one was streamlined and named the "Blue Jay", however crews would call her "Mae West" because of the glamor aspect. Somewhere after the fact (scrapped in 1956) apparently model railroaders started calling it the "Blue Goose" which name it is now commonly known. In its hey day the locomotive was used for many publicity photos and promotions. It even got to pose with 4 of the brand new E1 locomotives on the "Chiefs" publicity photo. The Santa Fe made exactly 1 passenger car with this color scheme but for some reason it never got further than that (other than in the AHM/Rivarossi world).

This is a Broadway Limited Paragon 4 Brass/Hybrid offering. What I didn't know is that the blue bird actually had six different paint schemes through its life. This is the last 1953-end paint scheme as that is my era. However I have to say I like the previous 1947 colors where the driving wheels and trucks (even the tenders) were a darker blue.

Review - The detail looks great and in proper proportion. Many of the brass models of this locomotive were too tall by at least 6 scale inches. Later I'll have to get a photo of it side by side with the AHM equivalent to show how really good it looks. As I have no test track a review of performance will have to wait. Down side is that it was pricey (very). And OH YEAH, for the price the packaging is very chincey and cheapo. Nothing like a fine brass model should have.

Reasons for obtaining the item - Once again hard to model passenger trains in the Santa Fe Transition era without having this locomotive in the round house.
View attachment 155436

That locomotive looks amazing! Wow! I appreciate the history back story too! Very nice acquisition!

Well I have a few items to upload here. I did get my Yankeedabbler order as I mentioned last week in the coffee shop. All 5 of the centerbeams with opera windows styles. I also got 2 more of the Bluford Shops transfer caboose that have been out of production for years that I just happen to stumble on in FB market place for 50 bucks. as they normally run well over 75 to 125 each. So one CNW and one GBW. I also got a Platinum Line walther MOPAC caboose too for a mere 20 bucks even the box says 50 I didn't pay that.

20221107_182949.jpg20221107_183001.jpg20221021_132217.jpg20221021_132226.jpg20221107_183009.jpg20221107_183022.jpg20221101_092518.jpg20221101_092539.jpg09100000004865__78670.jpg72_centerbeam_flatcar_with_opera_windows_ready_to_run_910-4868_dt1_big.jpg

I got another peice of my layout puzzle ordered in regards to structures it will be in a few days this week.

Walthers Cornerstone 933-3182 Sanding Towers & Drying House Kit

s-l500.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600.jpg

I also ordered 3 packs oof railroad workers:

Walthers 949-6065 Railroad Yard Crew Pkg (6)
s-l1600 (6).jpg

then this came in this past Saturday...

Walthers Gold Line 932-7030 TCAX Thrall Demonstrator All Door Box Car

20221101_092522.jpg20221101_092706.jpg20221101_092713.jpgs-l1600 (2).jpg

Tell us About it - The Santa Fe ordered six of the 3460 class "Super" Hudsons in 1937. Ball bearings on all axels and drive gear. Super heated and a few other things. They were signifcantly larger than Santa Fe's prior Hudsons and were the heaviest, largest, and most powerful Hudson type built as the move to diesels stopped further development of the design. The locomotives were assigned to named passenger trains between Chicago and LaJunta Colorado, where the Mountains and Northern Class locomotives took over for the western part of the journey. Of the six locomotives in the class only one was streamlined and named the "Blue Jay", however crews would call her "Mae West" because of the glamor aspect. Somewhere after the fact (scrapped in 1956) apparently model railroaders started calling it the "Blue Goose" which name it is now commonly known. In its hey day the locomotive was used for many publicity photos and promotions. It even got to pose with 4 of the brand new E1 locomotives on the "Chiefs" publicity photo. The Santa Fe made exactly 1 passenger car with this color scheme but for some reason it never got further than that (other than in the AHM/Rivarossi world).

View attachment 155436
Good looking machine and thanks for the story

Good afternoon. Finally, the electrical soldering flux arrived. Plus some other stuff to help fill up the box. This morning for the second day USPS tracking says in Chicago.

My first intermodal car since maybe 2018 when I sold all the intermodal stuff I had.
655189CA-356C-43AF-9C38-D9AE24F45F06.jpeg
9735106E-07B6-4030-B6C3-445C5A30B1DF.jpeg

Even though I had written I was done buying till after Xmas, I did last night go a bit big on the Steelmillmodelerssupply.com website. I mean, I do need stuff for the paper mill rebuild, no longer a refresh.

Well as mentioned in the coffee shop I got 3 packages in today....here they are...

1st my Walthers Mainline 910-7973 37 ft 2980 CU FT 2-Bay Covered Hopper Wisconsin Central WC 84699 (TomO weathered the car)

20221110_144500.jpg
20221110_144524.jpg
20221110_144535.jpg

Next some decals.....
s-l1600.png

and the 3rd package...

Atlas 1142 America's Historic Railroads Delaware & Hudson D&H 3-Pack

These will be in honor of running my local locomotive here in Saratoga Springs NY. The line used to be called Saratoga & North Creek. I bought this Atlas Gold Series 10 001 828 Saratoga & North Creek #8524 Dash 8-40B DCC-Sound a year ago. These will go good behind it.

20221110_130108.jpg

20221110_130132.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

20220109_223633.jpg

Back