Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all!

I was able to head home an hour early yesterday so I could mow before it rains for the next 3 days straight here in Ohio. Good thing, too. Grass was tall and thick! I mow about 6 acres.. takes me right around 3.5 hours as long as I don't have to stop too many times to pick up sticks that are too big to just run over, lol. Seems all our trees are somewhat litterbugs when it comes to deadwood falling out of them... Lots of Walnut, Pin Oak and Buckeyes.

2 weeks from today, I will be rolling out of bed in Savannah, Georgia, as we prepare for our Oldest Daughter's wedding on the 4th of June. I am NOT looking forward to the 11 hour drive, but I do have the route planned, including a pit stop about every 3-4 hours that has a Chick-Fil-A and a filling station. The only thing left is to get the correct change for toll booths along the way.

Our Daughter has asked me to perform the wedding. I'm fine with public speaking, and don't get nervous in front of people. I frequently speak in front of audiences. I announce for local school sports programs, and I teach sailing to large groups of people. BUT... BUT... I'm a crier. I tear up just watching a chick flick (OK, that's an exaggeration, lol)... but seriously... How am I going to be able to watch my daughter walk down the aisle without getting emotional???? Arghhhhh!

back from 10 days in the *wilderness* scanned/skimmed 10 days of posts.
think what is most important to me right now is the fact summer aint here yet. since Oct /21 till today, I have wore my winter gear everyday except one day 2 wks ago. What the heck, the longest day of the yr is only a month away & its still snowing ( well almost).
all have a good day, & for those ailing-get well

Cold front came through. Instead of mid 50s or even low 60s in the morning, it is 37F. High around 52F say the weather guessers. But only today. Tomorrow a little warmer and warmer each day until Thursday a jump of a high to almost 90, and then dipping back down into the 70s over a couple days. We'll see how much of this really pans out.

I got my work computer back from Apple yesterday afternoon. They reseated a bunch of cables inside for the battery and other things and it seems to have fixed what was ailing it. It never did fail their diagnostics -- as a whole or individual parts removed and tested. But they saw the problem happen so knew something was up. It has been working mostly fine since I got it home yesterday aftermoon. Which means I have toy work again :p

Bruise on my hip slowly become less tender and my right wrist and thumb feel a lot better.

I have two alternate routes from my house, one is actually shorter but is over crummy county roads, the other is over a similar state highway, but passes through a small town on the way.
That must have been the way that Kate and I arrived at your home? It was a terrible stretch of h/w - I did not think Texas had a road like that anywhere? We thought the RV was going to shake apart!

That must have been the way that Kate and I arrived at your home? It was a terrible stretch of h/w - I did not think Texas had a road like that anywhere? We thought the RV was going to shake apart!
If I recall, you followed the shorter GPS route instead of the slightly longer route that I had E-Mailed at the time!:eek:The longer one is the one we took to the Italian Restaurant.

UN - Seasonably cool/cold this morning with a few sprinkles and drizzles.
I had to add a few degrees to the heater! Only supposed to reach a high of 67 today.

The Spousal Unit is dog-sitting in Newport - I had a fairly restful night of sleep (only had to get up twice) and feel pretty good this morning, but haven't tried to lift anything heavier than this laptop?

Have been watching some DODGER and ANGELES baseball. They sure need to speed up the game a little. Just SO slow moving!

Good afternoon all,

back with yesterday's traveler, today he is looking for a room and shower for the night, before continuing on his journey:

_MG_5566.jpg

more later, Dave

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those who install windshields.

It's Troy again

It's laundry day! (which occurs three times a week. You'd think that only two of us wouldn't generate that much. But we do.

Today was launch day for book 5 in my series. I didn't expect big sales. I can see how many have pre-ordered the book. AND over half of my readers use Kindle Unlimited. That's the subscription service on Amazon. They can check out up to 10 books at a time for a monthly fee. BUT authors have to opt-in their books, and can't have the ebooks available anywhere else. We get paid by the page read, instead of a flat fee like if someone purchased the ebook.

So, I'm about to go raise the price on that ebook. My other series sells better, so I experimented with dropping the latest book in each series by a buck for the pre-orders. Thought that might get a hundred or so more pre-orders.

Nope. Each series only jumped by about 20 readers on pre-orders.

So, all books will go back up to normal $3.99 (US). And paperbacks are going up as well.

Bought the wife a watermelon today. Probably from Mexico, but I didn't check. She sliced it up for lunch, and scooped it out filing several large Rubbermaid storage bowls.

Now our kitchen smells like a Jolly Rancher.

In other news, I'm painting carpet.

Yep, you read that correctly:
Screenshot 2022-05-20 at 12.42.24 PM.png

Need to make some muddy to paved roads for wargaming tables. Stuff that can stand up to repeated travel, setup, teardown, rolling of dice, etc.

The current fad is using industrial-grade carpet (Menards has it in 2ft squares cut from remainders)

I had a quart of brown door and trim paint and a roller. Just need to glue some flocking to the edges of each 4" wide strip, and maybe drybrush on a lighter brown or grey for dirt or paved roads.

The challenge is going to be cutting curves out of one of the squares.

That's it for now. Need to do some writing in between all of this construction work.

Screenshot 2022-05-20 at 12.42.40 PM.png

A hot day coming on in Virginia here. Should be in the 90s pretty soon.
Went up to my daughter's house this morning. She's in recovery from COVID last week. I have natural immunity, so I'm not worried about it. She had a couple loads of junk for the land fill that wouldn't fit in her car very well. She also had an AC unit she bought at WalMart that she needed help moving into the house and upstairs.
I just heard on the news of a woman in Fairfax County, just a bit north of me who is now a terrorist suspect and is under extensive investigation by the DOJ. She was outed when she spoke before the school board district where her children attend and read aloud the content of some books that she found in the school library. Apparently, the material was too sexually vial for the public comment session of the meeting, but it was OK for the kiddies to read and view the pictures. The board cut her off before her time expired, but the audience called for jail for the board members who had voted to include the material in the library. Apparently, they feel it's their right to teach other people's kids about the perverted lifestyles.

Update: roads look better with a 2nd coat of lighter brown. Not a true muddy road model, but close enough for a traveling wargaming set.

Screenshot 2022-05-20 at 1.19.32 PM.png

Could probably use another coat of the lighter brown, but I don't want it to block up too much. What do you think? 2nd coat: yay or nay?

Also, did y'all know the forum has an ignore button?

Smudge - Not really worried if I need a stent. It's the hospital environment that always concerns me. This same cardiologist put one in my wife maybe 14 years ago. It will be done in the out-patient portion of the hospital and I should be released within a couple of hours. He says that I am cleared to drive myself home if needed, but my wife will be doing that. Local anesthesia only, they'll be going through the groin since it is the lower left whatever that they are going to. That part should be fun.
🤣 🤣 Think it's more likely to be embarrassing having your tackle on show than anything else, that, and feeling a breeze in places you never thought likely after you've shaved parts you thought were there to keep you warm.:)

Good Morning All. Around here it's mostly cloudy and 73°, somewhat windy out of the south which is bringing moisture up from the Gulf. Today's high of 94° will be above yesterday's high of 91°. NWS is still predicting rain for tomorrow through Wednesday now and unseasonably cooler temperatures from Saturday now through Thursday. They're actually predicting a high Sunday of only 69° due to a cool front from the north. We'll see about that!

Grocery trek went without a hitch, including stops at Home Depot for more chlorine, bank to deposit a large sum of money, pharmacy to pick up prescriptions, two gas stations - one for the limo and one to fill up the gas cans for the mower. A definite increase in summer attire on the young ladies kept my eyes exercised.

Meanwhile I was able to get into the pool yesterday after finally getting the steps in place. Temperature was a comfy 83.5°. It has never been this warm this early, it is mainly due to the removal of the 40 year old Ash tree that partially shaded it in the morning for many years. It did take me 16 gallons of liquid chlorine to finally clear up the algae that developed. Not sure how it developed under the cover all winter???

Thanks to all who commented on or reacted to the pictures posted yesterday; Guy, Tom O, Chad, Hughie, Sherrel, Dave B, James, Rick, Smudge, Patrick, Curt, Mikey, Jaz, IB Ken.

The trip to the train shed yesterday was a partial success. I did install all of the clear acetate in the bank building, but the pool was beckoning.
So how about a few overall layout views today.
Looking at the return loops on the peninsula.
View attachment 146145
View attachment 146146
And the west wall.
View attachment 146147

Smudge - Not really worried if I need a stent. It's the hospital environment that always concerns me. This same cardiologist put one in my wife maybe 14 years ago. It will be done in the out-patient portion of the hospital and I should be released within a couple of hours. He says that I am cleared to drive myself home if needed, but my wife will be doing that. Local anesthesia only, they'll be going through the groin since it is the lower left whatever that they are going to. That part should be fun.
Patrick - Road reconstruction here was announced in 2018 for a six mile stretch of a two lane state highway that I use to get to the Interstate, expanding it into a four lane one with some left turn lanes as well. For the most part land acquisition (41.5 acres) took three years and utility relocation began in early 2021. Water company had to move two 12" mains, although one was originally only a 4" main to start with, two different electric providers are in the process of moving all of their poles over, and the phone company has already completed their work. Highway department has promised no road or lane closures, ha, ha! I have two alternate routes from my house, one is actually shorter but is over crummy county roads, the other is over a similar state highway, but passes through a small town on the way. Distance is similar. I'll most likely still use the old highway occasionally just to watch the progress.
This is a state highway project. On county roads, our local road commissioner told me and a neighbor once, that there isn't enough money in the budget to repair or maintain his roads, just enough to patch them!
Mike - Soybeans are a legume like beans, clover, peas and peanuts. They extract nitrogen from the air and leave it in nodules on their roots, which in turn help fertilize the soil for future crops like the corn.
Guy - The glue doesn't always work for me and I have to redo it sometimes. Air bubbles are a no-no. The process takes a little practice.

Today is Cher's 76th birthday. I used to like her until she got too political.
Everybody have a great day, and an awesome weekend.
WOW!!! First time I've seen a photo showing so much of your layout, didn't realise it was two tier till now, amazing really, I'm gobsmacked.

I will now go and find a really deep hole to bury myself in. 🙃

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back