Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO WHAT IS WRONG AMERICANS OUT THERE???
I had the opportunity to watch a TV in the Emergency Room this morning, I had it tuned to C-Span watching a Congressional hearing. Amidst the backdrop of no baby formula for mothers to use, inflation that is rampant, gas and food prices escalating daily, runaway violent crime in some cities, vehicles that are unobtainable and super expensive, a Southern border that's so open that the Russians could drive a whole army through and a stalled supply chain; I watched a congressional House Committee investigating UFO's?!?!?!?!o_Oo_Oo_O
Is this what we have come to???
Willie, all I can think to say, quoting Buford T Justice, is "What the hell is da world coming to".

I spoke before the county board of Supervisors this evening concerning the upcoming budget and tax increases.
I had been observing the budget process here over the past couple months. From the few meetings I've attended I've seen several things that could certainly save a few bucks. I think folk get lazy in their positions and won't go that additional yard if it means creating a spread sheet or an extensive management plan. That's what ya have county citizens for to reach out to for the talent to cover specific short-term issues. A month or so ago I listened to the vehicle maintenance manager talk about the occasional back log of vehicle repairs he has to try to keep up with. I talked to my county supervisor for my district and recommended they consider a "surge support contract" with some of the local repair shops. They would be used in the occasional event that the county mechs get behind on repairs. The county decided to hire two more mechanics at full salary with benefits instead.
The county had voted to move all full-time employees to a livable wage and all hourly employees to a Federal minimum wage. No talent or skill required. I asked the board tonight what the county was getting in return for this outlay of pay and benefits to people who have no intention of improving themselves or making themselves marketable but expect a big paycheck, for being there. I also pointed out the poor public relations that the board might have in place. With over 7,000 households in the county, only a couple dozen of them were represented at this public hearing concerning the massive property tax increase of over 35% for most households. Either everybody is fine with shelling out an additional $600 - $1400 a year in property taxes or they have no idea how to contest it. I told them of the people I've been talking to in the neighborhood or at church, hardly anyone knew how to contact the board or how to present their case.
Finally, I told them that I am really concerned about the board taking my recommendations seriously because I didn't see any of ya all taking notes. All of a sudden, pens went to paper.

photo roster 001.jpg

G'nite all, this boxcar looks comfy for a nap.

Good Evening - I know that at this time, most out east have already gone to bed. It's only 8pm here.

Chad - 100 grand is filthy ridiculous for a vehicle. I've got a friend who has 900,000km on his little Eagle Summit. Suppose I'll try and put a million km's on my $30,000.00, 2013 pickup, rather than fork out 100g's for a truck. The home I live in cost me 100 grand. At least it was a worthwhile investment.

SO WHAT IS WRONG AMERICANS OUT THERE???
I had the opportunity to watch a TV in the Emergency Room this morning, I had it tuned to C-Span watching a Congressional hearing. Amidst the backdrop of no baby formula for mothers to use, inflation that is rampant, gas and food prices escalating daily, runaway violent crime in some cities, vehicles that are unobtainable and super expensive, a Southern border that's so open that the Russians could drive a whole army through and a stalled supply chain; I watched a congressional House Committee investigating UFO's?!?!?!?!o_Oo_Oo_O
Is this what we have come to???
Willie - The only reason you know all that stuff is because you watched a TV. Don't do that, and you can breathe the air again. I believe that most of the crap on TV is sensationalized bullshit, deliberately strayed from the real truth to create entertainment. There was stupid, dumb stuff going on in every century in history, and there will be stupid, dumb stuff going on in the next century. It's in our nature to do stupid, dumb stuff.

Willie and Sherrel - I'm very concerned that you are both suffering from health issues. Man, I hope you take care of yourselves. Hate to loose either one, even if the friendship is virtual. The good news is: modern medicine is something wonderful and centerians are common these days. But, we all seem to be an older bunch in this shop. I heard my bones creaking myself, as I'm trying to build a fence.

Thank you to all who commented and like my 52 Ford model.

Here's some photos I took in Edson today, while the wife was in the gardening centre. Edson has far and away more trains than my town, being as it's the mainline to Vancouver.
CN 3930_Edson_05-17-2022 (1).JPG

CN 3930_Edson_05-17-2022 (2).JPG

CN 3259_Edson_05-17-2022.JPG

I find that watching Sea-can trains is as boring as watching paint dry. After taking 15 photos of Sea-cans going by, I walked away:
SeaCans_Edson_05-17-2022.JPG

And that's all I have for tonight. Tomorrow, I hope to be near finishing that fence. Perhaps I'll get some layout time after that. If the honey-do list is small. If they don't ask for more fence. If the aliens don't attack. etc, etc, etc...

Patrick - YOU are up early, or
Good morning gang

58° and clear currently, looking for a high of 79° later today.

Flo, can we get some biscuits and gra vy this morning with a large coffee? I’ll take mine down in the corner booth.
Same here, KARL, on the food and take away one degree on each above and you are here!

I been up since 1:30AM just watched Casablanca on TCM.

Ken in Illinois. What’s your Blood Glucose readings at bedtime? I have hit a 43 for my lowest ever and between the glucose tabs and 4oz of OJ got it back up to 100 in 20 minutes. The low glucose event to me is very stressful
My bedtime levels have been pretty decent generally. Most of the time it goes up really high overnight but for some reason those two nights it went really low. My lowest ever was 23 and I feel lucky I woke up at all. That was several years ago. I can remember waking up in a pool of sweat and getting up. Took me forever to get the presence of mind to even realize I needed to eat something. Thankfully I've never had that kind of low ever again and hope I never do.

Good morning all! 62 and occasional rain with 76 and rain expected for the day.

Still getting my butt kicked by spring allergies and feeling pretty cruddy. Not sleeping well due to need to cough a lot during the night which is a challenge with my BiPAP machine mask on pushing air at me. Had to get some work done outside after I got home from work and that definitely didn't help the situation. Hoping the rain will knock the pollen down for a while.

Not much else going on. Heading out for work soon. Hope you all have a great day!

Done with this morning's walk. My daughter's house is all sick with the COVID. Not a sever condition, just the fever, coughing and lethargic. Fortunately, no other symptoms. Now they all have the natural immunity and won't need the shots. On the other hand, the World Health Organization will be handed control of the health matters in this country next week sometime. The shots may become international law, regardless of natural immunity of physical tolerance.

Morning again all,

Fortunately, my only real important health issues revolve around me being stupid and overdoing stuff. I guess I do have HBP, but everything else is doing well. Surprising since I wasn't going to live past 40... 🤣

Sherrel: Alarm goes off at 3:30a, that way the wife and I have time to get some stuff done before we leave in the morning. Wheels out the door about 5:15a

Steve (OBTC): Allergies are something I'm experiencing for the first time this year. Stuff never bothered me, but I was told to take a Zyrtec and a nasal steroid daily through the fall. I will say it has helped clear me up...until it doesn't.

Terry: My thoughts and prayers are with you as well.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 72° on this more normal morning. Looking at continued warm in the lower 90's through Saturday and then supposedly thunderstorms Saturday night through Tuesday with highs only in the 70's. So far according to my gardening records, this has been the hottest first half of May since I started keeping those records in the mid-80's.
Yesterday was quite concerning although everything eventually turned out OK. Maybe I overreacted, but at this stage in life, it is better to be safe than sorry. Felt much better later in the day to the point that I mowed for about 30 minutes and did some other yardwork.
The pool temperature is great at 81°, but I haven't gotten everything right yet. The pH is right on, conditioner level is good, but I can't get the chlorine level just right and there is too much suspended particles in the water.
This morning I have a previously scheduled visit to the cardiologist to discuss a date for an angioplasty, I think that is what it is called. He wants to explore and probably put a stent inside. I am not looking forward to this, as I feel that hospitals are cesspools of germs. I accepted the visit yesterday with apprehension, but the last time I was a patient in a hospital was in 1968 to get my tonsils removed. That doesn't count a colonoscopy done in an out-patient clinic a few years ago.
I actually don't consider myself having any major health issues thankfully. Yes it is suspected that there is some minor blockage that a stent will take care of, but aside from the pneumonia that I had earlier this year which may be related to the heart, I generally do not get sick. Sure some age related things have cropped up, I am quite hearing impaired as a result of too much loud rock & roll in my youth and I have a family history of high blood pressure; but those are things that can be easily controlled. I plan on being a thorn in anyone's side for many years to come.

I do wish to once again thank everyone for all of the well wishes and advice offered. That is what makes this community so great.

A few updates on the garden. Broccoli heads starting to form.
IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

Onions forming everywhere. They will be small this year since I was a month late with planting.
Overall view right now.
IMG_0906.JPG

And the part of my hayfield that grows naturally without planting.
IMG_0909.JPG

Let me just offer a summary regarding activities in the train shed since Saturday.
I don't remember whether or not I posted pictures of the rehabbed townhouse, so here are a few more in case I hadn't.
IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

I did finish painting the newest bank.
IMG_0921.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

I am sticking with the mottled brick color since it looks more realistic. Less weathering that way. I intend to paint some random bricks a darker color to add to the contrast.

A lot has happened here in the Coffee Shop since I made my last normal visit Sunday, and I won't bore anyone with all of the comments and remarks that I could make while catching up. So I will just post on what I thought stood out for now.

Chad - I am sure glad that everything turned out OK with your misadventure on the ladder. While my wife now discourages me from getting on the roof, I still use the extension ladder to prune upper branches on trees - they're actually higher than the roof! I can't even count how many times I made the "two step" dismount when I was younger. Unintentionally always!
I agree with you on watching TV. I don't normally watch more than 30 minutes of Fox Business most mornings, nothing else. I found that my most reliable sources of news on the Internet are BBC and Al Jazerra. Generally all facts and no spin. But I was bored yesterday laying on that gurney.
James - Safe travels for you.
Sherrel - I'm counting on you to improve real soon.
Guy - Coming at you later regarding the windshield for the truck.

Everybody have a great day.

. While my wife now discourages me from getting on the roof, I still use the extension ladder to prune upper branches on trees - they're actually higher than the roof! I can't even count how many times I made the "two step" dismount when I was younger. Unintentionally always!
Willie: I get flat out told I'm not allowed on the roof! Just not discouraged, flat out verboten! Oddly, she will allow me on a ladder, higher than the bottom edge of the roof, over the basement stairwell. Logic?? You tell me.
BTW Awesome job on both the structures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back