Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The train is too heavy for just one diesel. So I put more power on it (and a few cars too).

05.jpg

07.jpg

06.jpg

Good Morning All. Looks like clear and 52°, still really strong and gusty winds from the NW today, increasing in velocity for a few more hours before diminishing before sunset. Temperature will then drop into the lower 40's tonight. That will for sure mean starting the first fire of the season in the wood-burning heater.
No issues on the grocery trek yesterday, although I did notice some low inventory in spots around the store. I actually believe that it relates more to a labor shortage there than to anything actually being in short supply. In areas that vendors take care of stocking, like soda, bread and alcohol, the shelves were full. Mask compliance was still about 50% even though our governor has outlawed mask mandates. Entirely voluntary; I wore mine in the center aisles and the checkout line. The rest of the store is very wide open and social distancing is easy.

Y'all are just really awesome with the complements on the Ramone's Storage & Salvage structure build. I'm not sure at all if I can follow up with another one as good. Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's posting; Patrick, Karl, Guy, Sherrel, Steve J, OB Ken, Tom O, Christian, James, Gary, Hughie, Joe, Curt, Rick, IB Ken.

Let me try the Friday Special this morning Flo, buckwheat pancakes with a pile of sausage patties.

I don't really have a lot to show from my adventures in the train shed yesterday. I started by adding ground cover to the area between the main line and the Ramone's parking area.
View attachment 134507
Then I moved over to the workbench to fabricate a fence to put there, something I might refer to as a "cable barrier" like this.
View attachment 134509
I make mine by first cutting toothpicks into about a 4' scale length and then drilling a .020" hole in one end. Then I string a length of .010" wire through them. Here's what I ended up with yesterday.
View attachment 134510
Today I'll spray it all with some gray primer and drill post holes every 15' apart for mounting. You get the idea from there.

Patrick - I hated that Masonite siding that was originally on my house. I replaced it all with "Smart Siding" from HD with a 50 year warranty. At the same time I wrapped the house with some kind of plastic wrap that I can't remember the name of. Tyveck I think.
Guy - Don't abandon us just as you restart working on the train room. Pictures of your progress are always welcome.
Tom O - I haven't asked about how long the health professionals are supposed to be visiting. Staci, the nurse who visits twice a week, probably will stop once the blood draws are no longer necessary. Nathan, the upper body PT, I just don't know. Heather the lower body PT will return in mid-December after the replacement surgery. She really isn't needed as my wife did that rehab mostly by herself with my able assistance after the previous surgery. As long as Medicare is paying for them, I don't really care much. I consider it a pay-back for all of those years that I donated part of my salary to them...Still paying them premiums!!! It's not like an entitlement!
Hughie -

Thanks for the comment. I have improved cloud painting in my opinion and I will soon be adding more elsewhere.
IB Ken - Very nice scene, especially with the train in it this time.

Enjoyed the ghost/spook jokes yesterday, don't have any myself that aren't dirty.
Everybody have a great day.
Your layout keeps get better Willie. Sorry I haven’t been keeping up. The weather got cool enough where I could work outside.

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Only have time for a drive-by post tonite, I spent some time trying to get decent shots of one of my favorite layout scenes - the town of Brook Park. It's the first thing a visitor sees when they step into my trainroom from outdoors. Took a lot of trial-n-error, but I finally got something I thought was worth keeping. Many of you have already seen this view before, minus the train.

View attachment 134496

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!
Ken. I like the LP station the Train really sets it off

GUY - this winter when you want an escape from the cold - you are welcome to come here and spend a couple days .
I would do that, Sherrel.

Excceeeppt! - Americans and all their rules. - In 1978 I worked in Alaska for one year without a visa. I built five isolated cabins for a Wien Air Alaska pilot. Someone complained, and they came a-looking. Couldn't find me in the wilds and I suppose they became cranky. Now I'm on a list of those known as an 'undesirable', and cannot travel to the states. - If I go on trips, I have to fly around the US, and I don't have problems.

So, you'll have to straighten out all you're photos by yourself.

Good Morning all, a happy Saturday morning as well. A truly beautiful day here in H-Town, sunny, blue skies and humidity 18%. I spent the entire afternoon outside yesterday. Picked up a trash can full of pine cones and limbs from the previous day winds, cleaned the garage, mowed the yard and dusted the cars. Never broke a sweat. I have a few more tasks that I need to do while the weather is cooperative.

Jerry - sorry to hear of your friends passing, my condolences.
Willie - I'm checking out the old broad in the blue dress. 😈
Guy - Maybe if you tell them you are a friend of Sherrell's they let you back in ................... on second thought maybe not 😈

At last check, Jefferies Point is to be delivered Tuesday.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Been watching most all of it, thanks for asking, LOUIS, but missed the first 3 innings of last nights game.
an observation of mine ... sure tired of pitchers throwing in the dirt - I think they are trying to "spin" the ball too much - put it over the plate and lets see some batting for a change.
Sherrel, pitching and defense are my favorite parts of the game! Be patient, I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before those big Houston bats come to life. I expect a 7 game series, at least that is what I'm hoping for!
Louis: You are probably right about this Series, but dating back to 1957, I have disliked the Braves, for some reason long lost to memory, so i don't appreciate anything they do...Houston cheats...so I don't appreciate anything they do. So I have been in a "Wait 'till next year" mode since da Bums choked in the NLCS.
Boris, it can be hard to explain why some teams we don't like. For me it's the Redsox. There are others, but I know why I don't like them.
The garbage can scandal was hard to get past, but hiring Dusty Baker sold me.
I grew up admiring Hank Aaron, the Braves are ok in my book.
I don't care who wins, I'm loving it!

Hello to one and all! I hope this day fines you doing WELL! Flo, can ya hook me up with a cup of deer camp coffee, french toast with a couple of over easy eggs, & sausage on the side please & thanx.
So, last weekend, me and a buddy go arrowhead hunting. When we get to the spot, he gives me another set of keys to the pick-up, so who ever gets back first, can get into the truck. We do the hunt, head for home. He drops me off, and I forgot to give him the extra key set, no biggie I'm thinking, I'll stop by his house & drop them off this coming week. Tuesday is Dermatologist day, there is a spot on my cheek he takes a piece of for a biopsy. Then he moves in with the nitrogen gun to freeze some spots on my head, (not much hair there,) he freezes 4-5 spots in one area, talk about brain freeze. o_O Sad part was, no adult beverage involved. Ok so Thursday is dentist day, the DMD is pretty busy running back & forth, I'm in that darn chair going on 2 1/2 hours. I was going to drop the keys off after the dentist, but after that marathon stay, I headed home, I'll drop the keys off later. My buddy's wife calls me the next morning, he has died of a massive heart attack on Thursday, as it turns out, at about the time I would have been there if I had taken the keys back. I am still in disbelief of his passing. No previous heat issues what so ever.
But wait, there's more. I park in my garage, after Nancy (buddy's wife) calls, I'm in the garage putting some bottled water in the truck getting ready to go see her, when the garage lites go dim, bright, dim bright abut 4 times, and I thought I heard a noise over in the corner were the house pump & water softening system is. Awesome, is my house going to burn down while I'm at Nancy's? I flushed the toilet to make the pump come on, good there. Heat pump is working fine. Went around to all the major electrical spots, no smell of hot electrical stuff burning anywhere........so as of now, it's good. And, on the way in to Nancy's, some moron decided he just had to pass a bunch of cars coming at me, I have to slow down and get over to the side of the road as far as I can...Moron! So, it's been an interesting week, to say the least! ☹️
Ok, moving on, I thought I'd do a piece of trivia this morning, I have this 76 union orange antenna ball. Who remembers these? (the 20-30 year-olds won't) Can you guess what year they appeared, WITHOUT using an electronic device? Here's a hint, it was one of the years I lived in Grants Pass Oregon. Hope that helps.....😜 Check out the Back In The Day thread, I posted some new stuff there. Going to post in the RPO also, just haven't got there quite yet......
View attachment 134601

EVERYBODY HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Jerry - Condolences on losing your buddy - especially since it was so sudden!

BTW - I'll see your antenna ball, and raise you this:

LinndaleViewFromRidgeRd_junk_sm.JPG

(No time to edit out the background ceiling eyesores, sorry)

Sherrel, pitching and defense are my favorite parts of the game! Be patient, I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before those big Houston bats come to life. I expect a 7 game series, at least that is what I'm hoping for!

Boris, it can be hard to explain why some teams we don't like. For me it's the Redsox. There are others, but I know why I don't like them.
The garbage can scandal was hard to get past, but hiring Dusty Baker sold me.
I grew up admiring Hank Aaron, the Braves are ok in my book.
I don't care who wins, I'm loving it!
I don't recall "the garbage can" bit? enlighten me, please!
I've never liked Atlanta ever since they left Milwaukee. I won't even go into the fact of the Ted Turner/Jane Fonda ownership - and finally that of the rivalry of the Cardinals -- I don't even care for their football team either (how's that!)

Had a friend in the 50's who had a 49 Ford (one of the few who had a car growing up). We would drive across the county line and buy beer (could not in our county) - either Pabst or Falstaf - and sit in the car and listen to the Cardinals BB games on the static filled radio.

Good Morning you bunch!

I'm hearing there will be quite the breeze today. It's only 24f right now; I don't expect it to warm up much if there's a wind. I might have to put on the tooke when I walk the dog.

Jerry - I'm sad to hear about you're friend's sudden passing. A prayer to find comfort goes out to you. I'm very sorry to hear you had such a bad day.

OB Ken - I was sad to hear you didn't get the job; and then glad to hear you got a raise at the current job. I was looking for the sad/like button; couldn't find it.

Christian - You need to explain to the wife, that having many small layouts takes up as much room as one big layout. Maybe try building a city on one of the pizza layouts, so you don't get so bored with it so soon.

Yesterday, I had my nose in the computer for the entire day sorting photos, and I'm tired of it. I'm going to do something different today. Sorting and cataloging photos is necessary, but don't feel very constructive.
I feel like building something today. So, I won't be here for long.

Thanks for the likes on my photos yesterday!

Here's some photos of an open hopper that someone might be interested in. All I know about this type of hopper, is that it was bigger than all the others in the train. It was the only hopper of this type in a train of about thirty cars carrying gravel. It was Blt 6-95.
What would this hopper be called, other that 'open-hopper'?
View attachment 134615View attachment 134616View attachment 134617

Here's a blow-up of the words on the side:
View attachment 134619

I know these hoppers go back and forth consistently between Whitecourt and Edmonton, because I have photos of this very same car, taken at earlier months of this year.

That's all I have time for today, folks. Just one coffee's worth. Going to go do something now.
Have a great day!
That looks like a Bethlehem Steel rotary quad hopper. Originally used for unit coal train service. The end with the white stripes has a rotary coupler, so it can be pivoted onto its top to dump its load.

Afternoon All,

Cool here today which is nice. Did some chores first then spent a couple of hours trying to hookup the lights in the mine. I connected the 3 boards together and the interior lights work. When I tried attaching the goose neck lamps nothing worked. I tried swapping leads on the board and still didn't work. I removed the exterior lights and they work like they should (when tested). Of course the interior lights didn't work since I had cut gaps in the tape for the exterior lights. I decided to solder jumpers to get the interiors working which they do now. I also cracked a side wall trying to drill through it. All in all a pretty crappy MRR day.

The lights (4 on large boards and 2 on the small one) and the current limiters (microlumnia) are on the bottom of the boards.

I have to decide if I remove the light boards and wire everything separately, or leave the boards in and wire exterior lights separately, or don't have exterior lighting. My next time in the train room will probably be next Saturday.

Christian- Congrats on your railroad.

Ken- Congrats on your pay raise.

Willie- Nice looking bus station.

Guy- Interesting hopper.

Joe- Great photos.

Lee- It should be a fun project. What gets milled with that setup?

20211030_133841.jpg

20211030_133845.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Had a friend in the 50's who had a 49 Ford (one of the few who had a car growing up). We would drive across the county line and buy beer (could not in our county) - either Pabst or Falstaf - and sit in the car and listen to the Cardinals BB games on the static filled radio.
Was this like prohibition….I thought liquor restrictions were like the roaring thirties had no idea they went on so late. How about wine in church

Good Morning you bunch!

I'm hearing there will be quite the breeze today. It's only 24f right now; I don't expect it to warm up much if there's a wind. I might have to put on the tooke when I walk the dog.

Jerry - I'm sad to hear about you're friend's sudden passing. A prayer to find comfort goes out to you. I'm very sorry to hear you had such a bad day.

OB Ken - I was sad to hear you didn't get the job; and then glad to hear you got a raise at the current job. I was looking for the sad/like button; couldn't find it.

Christian - You need to explain to the wife, that having many small layouts takes up as much room as one big layout. Maybe try building a city on one of the pizza layouts, so you don't get so bored with it so soon.

Yesterday, I had my nose in the computer for the entire day sorting photos, and I'm tired of it. I'm going to do something different today. Sorting and cataloging photos is necessary, but don't feel very constructive.
I feel like building something today. So, I won't be here for long.

Thanks for the likes on my photos yesterday!

Here's some photos of an open hopper that someone might be interested in. All I know about this type of hopper, is that it was bigger than all the others in the train. It was the only hopper of this type in a train of about thirty cars carrying gravel. It was Blt 6-95.
What would this hopper be called, other that 'open-hopper'?
View attachment 134615View attachment 134616View attachment 134617

Here's a blow-up of the words on the side:
View attachment 134619

I know these hoppers go back and forth consistently between Whitecourt and Edmonton, because I have photos of this very same car, taken at earlier months of this year.

That's all I have time for today, folks. Just one coffee's worth. Going to go do something now.
Have a great day!
The number in chalk, 555017, indicates it is a former BN RD2 coal hopper of the same number. BN had one train of these aluminum hoppers and 3000 aluminum gondolas. The revised CUFT stencil shows the rebuild resulted in nearly 800 cuft less capacity and one less bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back