Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang!

Hugging my coffee, waiting to begin another Saturday at work. Another 6 hours or so til I am out of here. Yesterday afternoon we shut down early for one of the techs retirement party. 44 years of swinging wrenches, and specializing on Corvettes. He will be missed. Nobody else in the shop wants to work on them!

I'm hoping tonight and tomorrow I can get my display cases, workbench and computer table all moved so I can start layout construction soon. "The plan" is to get it up and running and mostly done before I retire in about 5 years........or sooner if I can find that winning Lotto ticket!

BBL

Hello to one and all! I hope this day fines you doing WELL! Flo, can ya hook me up with a cup of deer camp coffee, french toast with a couple of over easy eggs, & sausage on the side please & thanx.
So, last weekend, me and a buddy go arrowhead hunting. When we get to the spot, he gives me another set of keys to the pick-up, so who ever gets back first, can get into the truck. We do the hunt, head for home. He drops me off, and I forgot to give him the extra key set, no biggie I'm thinking, I'll stop by his house & drop them off this coming week. Tuesday is Dermatologist day, there is a spot on my cheek he takes a piece of for a biopsy. Then he moves in with the nitrogen gun to freeze some spots on my head, (not much hair there,) he freezes 4-5 spots in one area, talk about brain freeze. o_O Sad part was, no adult beverage involved. Ok so Thursday is dentist day, the DMD is pretty busy running back & forth, I'm in that darn chair going on 2 1/2 hours. I was going to drop the keys off after the dentist, but after that marathon stay, I headed home, I'll drop the keys off later. My buddy's wife calls me the next morning, he has died of a massive heart attack on Thursday, as it turns out, at about the time I would have been there if I had taken the keys back. I am still in disbelief of his passing. No previous heat issues what so ever.
But wait, there's more. I park in my garage, after Nancy (buddy's wife) calls, I'm in the garage putting some bottled water in the truck getting ready to go see her, when the garage lites go dim, bright, dim bright abut 4 times, and I thought I heard a noise over in the corner were the house pump & water softening system is. Awesome, is my house going to burn down while I'm at Nancy's? I flushed the toilet to make the pump come on, good there. Heat pump is working fine. Went around to all the major electrical spots, no smell of hot electrical stuff burning anywhere........so as of now, it's good. And, on the way in to Nancy's, some moron decided he just had to pass a bunch of cars coming at me, I have to slow down and get over to the side of the road as far as I can...Moron! So, it's been an interesting week, to say the least! ☹️
Ok, moving on, I thought I'd do a piece of trivia this morning, I have this 76 union orange antenna ball. Who remembers these? (the 20-30 year-olds won't) Can you guess what year they appeared, WITHOUT using an electronic device? Here's a hint, it was one of the years I lived in Grants Pass Oregon. Hope that helps.....😜 Check out the Back In The Day thread, I posted some new stuff there. Going to post in the RPO also, just haven't got there quite yet......
IMG_20211029_111814673.jpg

EVERYBODY HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Ok, moving on, I thought I'd do a piece of trivia this morning, I have this 76 union orange antenna ball. Who remembers these? (the 20-30 year-olds won't) Can you guess what year they appeared, WITHOUT using an electronic device? Here's a hint, it was one of the years I lived in Grants Pass Oregon. Hope that helps.....😜 Check out the Back In The Day thread, I posted some new stuff there. Going to post in the RPO also, just haven't got there quite yet......
View attachment 134601

When we visited my brother in CA, we placed those foam antenna things on our antennas so we could find our cars in the Disneyland parking lot.
That was in 1972.

Good Morning All. Clear and 43° here in North Central Texas this morning. That damn wind finally stopped just before sunset yesterday after battering us at 35+mph for three days. Now we get three days of mid-70's before a potential rain event Tuesday. The forecast has us coming close to freezing Thursday night.
While I don't expect any trick or treaters here for Halloween tomorrow, I am prepared with a handful of Mounds bars. I haven't had a single one in the 41 years that I have lived here, nor the previous 5 years at my former location. We always took our kids to the "rich part of town" in nearby Krum TX where a bunch of older couples lived. We weren't alone and the inhabitants loved seeing all of the country kids once a year.
Pork tenderloin is on the menu tonight, although I am cooking it in the oven instead of the grill. I'm going to use a homemade rub instead of a store-bought one this time.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the latest progress report from the layout; Christian, Hughie, Karl, Dave, Sherrel, Chad, James, Joe, Guy, IB Ken, Tom O, Jaz, OB Ken, Rick, Louis.

Tall stack of blueberry pancakes and a double handful of bacon this morning Francine.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I took another day off from the Ramone's build and did some general sorting out and cleaning up of the place. In the process, I picked up my "to do" notebook and decided to eliminate a few things on the list. Mostly minor stuff like re-attaching a sign to a structure and repairing a ballast spot. Then I got to this.
IMG_8031.JPG

A Bachmann Bus Station that I built back in May. Never populated it so I decided to fix that. I pulled out my trusty compartmentalized figure box and went to work.
How about a street preacher, man hailing a cab, and two persons on a bench.
IMG_8034.JPG

Then a policeman, several passengers and an older couple occupying the other bench.
IMG_8035.JPG

And a few more passengers.
IMG_8036.JPG

A close up of the two college coeds for Sherrel and the other dirty old men here.
IMG_8037.JPG

Well, I got to cross a few things off the list.
I did pick out a few vehicles to add to Ramone's parking lot as well. I need to spiffy them up a bit and add a few minor details first.

Sherrel - If I could have traded my golf score with my bowling score, I might have participated in both for a lot longer than I did!
Christian -
Willie -How did you make your beautiful backdrop? Maybe you already explained it somewhere but I can't find where.
It's simple. I just paint the backdrop with a light shade of blue that I had them custom-mix at Home Depot. Then I paint the horizon with a shade of Hunter Green paint that I lightened up myself by mixing in some white. I usually add some trees with a darker shade of green, but I did not in the Ramone's scene. The clouds are made with a stencil that I just recently found at the hobby shop, the upper white part is Krylon white primer and the lower is Krylon gray primer, both from a spray can.
Mikey - Yes, a junk car is eventually going to be part of the scene. I am currently sorting through lots of odds and ends to find some other stuff as well.
Jaz - While I don't get to it every day, I have been enjoying your Goathland thread.
Curt -
The dreaded storm front the other day turned into a whole lot of nothing.
Same here when that storm passed us the other night. About 12 hours after it passed, is when we got the three days of high winds with the ensuing warnings.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

It's simple. I just paint the backdrop with a light shade of blue that I had them custom-mix at Home Depot. Then I paint the horizon with a shade of Hunter Green paint that I lightened up myself by mixing in some white. I usually add some trees with a darker shade of green, but I did not in the Ramone's scene. The clouds are made with a stencil that I just recently found at the hobby shop, the upper white part is Krylon white primer and the lower is Krylon gray primer, both from a spray can.
thankyousign.gif

Good Morning All. Clear and 43° here in North Central Texas this morning. That damn wind finally stopped just before sunset yesterday after battering us at 35+mph for three days. Now we get three days of mid-70's before a potential rain event Tuesday. The forecast has us coming close to freezing Thursday night.
While I don't expect any trick or treaters here for Halloween tomorrow, I am prepared with a handful of Mounds bars. I haven't had a single one in the 41 years that I have lived here, nor the previous 5 years at my former location. We always took our kids to the "rich part of town" in nearby Krum TX where a bunch of older couples lived. We weren't alone and the inhabitants loved seeing all of the country kids once a year.
Pork tenderloin is on the menu tonight, although I am cooking it in the oven instead of the grill. I'm going to use a homemade rub instead of a store-bought one this time.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the latest progress report from the layout; Christian, Hughie, Karl, Dave, Sherrel, Chad, James, Joe, Guy, IB Ken, Tom O, Jaz, OB Ken, Rick, Louis.

Tall stack of blueberry pancakes and a double handful of bacon this morning Francine.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I took another day off from the Ramone's build and did some general sorting out and cleaning up of the place. In the process, I picked up my "to do" notebook and decided to eliminate a few things on the list. Mostly minor stuff like re-attaching a sign to a structure and repairing a ballast spot. Then I got to this.
View attachment 134602
A Bachmann Bus Station that I built back in May. Never populated it so I decided to fix that. I pulled out my trusty compartmentalized figure box and went to work.
How about a street preacher, man hailing a cab, and two persons on a bench.
View attachment 134603
Then a policeman, several passengers and an older couple occupying the other bench. View attachment 134604
And a few more passengers.
View attachment 134605
A close up of the two college coeds for Sherrel and the other dirty old men here.
View attachment 134606
Well, I got to cross a few things off the list.
I did pick out a few vehicles to add to Ramone's parking lot as well. I need to spiffy them up a bit and add a few minor details first.

Sherrel - If I could have traded my golf score with my bowling score, I might have participated in both for a lot longer than I did!
Christian -

Mikey - Yes, a junk car is eventually going to be part of the scene. I am currently sorting through lots of odds and ends to find some other stuff as well.
Jaz - While I don't get to it every day, I have been enjoying your Goathland thread.
Curt -

Same here when that storm passed us the other night. About 12 hours after it passed, is when we got the three days of high winds with the ensuing warnings.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.
Willie, great pictures. I am not a dirty old man! While I do admire beauty at any age, if it’s younger then my daughter 40 on 11/4, I continue on my way. That rule kept me out of trouble at work.
Tom

Good Morning you bunch!

I'm hearing there will be quite the breeze today. It's only 24f right now; I don't expect it to warm up much if there's a wind. I might have to put on the tooke when I walk the dog.

Jerry - I'm sad to hear about you're friend's sudden passing. A prayer to find comfort goes out to you. I'm very sorry to hear you had such a bad day.

OB Ken - I was sad to hear you didn't get the job; and then glad to hear you got a raise at the current job. I was looking for the sad/like button; couldn't find it.

Christian - You need to explain to the wife, that having many small layouts takes up as much room as one big layout. Maybe try building a city on one of the pizza layouts, so you don't get so bored with it so soon.

Yesterday, I had my nose in the computer for the entire day sorting photos, and I'm tired of it. I'm going to do something different today. Sorting and cataloging photos is necessary, but don't feel very constructive.
I feel like building something today. So, I won't be here for long.

Thanks for the likes on my photos yesterday!

Here's some photos of an open hopper that someone might be interested in. All I know about this type of hopper, is that it was bigger than all the others in the train. It was the only hopper of this type in a train of about thirty cars carrying gravel. It was Blt 6-95.
What would this hopper be called, other that 'open-hopper'?
Hopper_RROX 1187_10-28-2021 (1).jpg
Hopper_RROX 1187_10-28-2021 (2).jpg
Hopper_RROX 1187_10-28-2021 (3).jpg

Here's a blow-up of the words on the side:
Hopper_RROX 1187_10-28-2021 (4).jpg

I know these hoppers go back and forth consistently between Whitecourt and Edmonton, because I have photos of this very same car, taken at earlier months of this year.

That's all I have time for today, folks. Just one coffee's worth. Going to go do something now.
Have a great day!

Hello to one and all! I hope this day fines you doing WELL! Flo, can ya hook me up with a cup of deer camp coffee, french toast with a couple of over easy eggs, & sausage on the side please & thanx.
So, last weekend, me and a buddy go arrowhead hunting. When we get to the spot, he gives me another set of keys to the pick-up, so who ever gets back first, can get into the truck. We do the hunt, head for home. He drops me off, and I forgot to give him the extra key set, no biggie I'm thinking, I'll stop by his house & drop them off this coming week. Tuesday is Dermatologist day, there is a spot on my cheek he takes a piece of for a biopsy. Then he moves in with the nitrogen gun to freeze some spots on my head, (not much hair there,) he freezes 4-5 spots in one area, talk about brain freeze. o_O Sad part was, no adult beverage involved. Ok so Thursday is dentist day, the DMD is pretty busy running back & forth, I'm in that darn chair going on 2 1/2 hours. I was going to drop the keys off after the dentist, but after that marathon stay, I headed home, I'll drop the keys off later. My buddy's wife calls me the next morning, he has died of a massive heart attack on Thursday, as it turns out, at about the time I would have been there if I had taken the keys back. I am still in disbelief of his passing. No previous heat issues what so ever.
But wait, there's more. I park in my garage, after Nancy (buddy's wife) calls, I'm in the garage putting some bottled water in the truck getting ready to go see her, when the garage lites go dim, bright, dim bright abut 4 times, and I thought I heard a noise over in the corner were the house pump & water softening system is. Awesome, is my house going to burn down while I'm at Nancy's? I flushed the toilet to make the pump come on, good there. Heat pump is working fine. Went around to all the major electrical spots, no smell of hot electrical stuff burning anywhere........so as of now, it's good. And, on the way in to Nancy's, some moron decided he just had to pass a bunch of cars coming at me, I have to slow down and get over to the side of the road as far as I can...Moron! So, it's been an interesting week, to say the least! ☹️
View attachment 134601

Do not tell her that’s when you planned to return keys, you’ll always be the guy who should have been there

Willie, great pictures. I am not a dirty old man! While I do admire beauty at any age, if it’s younger then my daughter 40 on 11/4, I continue on my way. That rule kept me out of trouble at work.
Tom
I once had a summer job ad a ‘tea lady’ the guys were fresh and always pinching my bum, anyway the women said don’t say anything but do turn and glare, one time I turned and glared and it was a good friends dad,he came out in a sweat for weeks when I visited their house, I never said a word and was too awkward to speak to him but he eventually realised I was staying quiet on the subject and life slowly returned to normal, to be honest I saw it as a guy thing, and thought no less of him, I bet my dad did the same at some time.

edited…I bet he was a loss less likely to pinch the others though…snickers…..l

Well howdy there, internet cafe dwellers

It's Troy again.

Got up. Got my first walk in... about 4K steps. Need to another 8K.

That won't be a problem. Wife is making me drive her to shopping (not saying where... hints later)

Seems she's taking next week off for a staycation (use it or lose it time) and will be making something. And maybe something else.

I did tell her that I want to stop at Half-Price books and check out WWII Air books. I just ordered a mess of Blood Red Skies 1:200 scale aircraft for the pacific. With my 1:1800 Victory at Sea fleets, I feel the need to make some gaming convention events. Part of the Battle of Leyte Gulf? Where's Admiral Halsey? Can those Hellcats stop those Judys?

Need to get some books on Leyte aircraft

And she promised to buy me lunch while we're out.

Stay tuned for more details.

PS: Sorry Christian: No dragons were reported in Leyte Gulf in 1944...

Sherrel and Boris, I hope you have had time to watch this world series. So far it has been a true "fall classic" I think you both would appreciate this old school baseball.
Been watching most all of it, thanks for asking, LOUIS, but missed the first 3 innings of last nights game.
an observation of mine ... sure tired of pitchers throwing in the dirt - I think they are trying to "spin" the ball too much - put it over the plate and lets see some batting for a change.

Good morning y'all. 58°, cloudy with drizzle. Yesterday's storm was long on wind, with gusts up to 37mph, but short on rain,0.47". In spite of the strong East wind, there was very little tree debris, and so far a minimal leaf fall this Autumn.
I spent the evening watching hockey. The Capitals beat the Coyotes 2-0 in a snoozer, where all the scoring was in the last 10 minutes of regulation. Very frustrating, the Caps looked like they were sleep skating, The second game was Ottawa at Dallas, which the Sens won 4-1. It was a fast moving game that was much more entertaining than the score would indicate.

Today, I plan on spending quality time on the layout. If the wind is calm, and it warms up a tad, I may Dullcote a few more cars later. Good outdoor painting days are becoming scarce.

Last week, was super stressful, as anticipated, but everything fell into place, and this weekend is for recovery.

Ken(MD): While I didn't get to commenting earlier, your layout pictures are fantastic.

Thank to everyone, who liked my posts this week.

Louis:
You are probably right about this Series, but dating back to 1957, I have disliked the Braves, for some reason long lost to memory, so i don't appreciate anything they do...Houston cheats...so I don't appreciate anything they do. So I have been in a "Wait 'till next year" mode since da Bums choked in the NLCS.

OB Ken: Congratulations on the raise. Concerning the other job you applied for. I don't think HR people care about qualifications these days. More concern for cultural issues. They feel they can train candidates that fit other things they are looking for, rather than picking the best possible candidate. Chances are, if you were selected, you wouldn't be happy there.

Guy: Great photos.

Jerry: Sorry about your friends untimely passing...

NRHS Bowman PRR Harrisburg Pa MP54 4575 combine Special Train neg 613 October 10 1954.jpg

MPB54E leading excursion train at Harrisburg, PA in the 1950s. Return trip will run with combine trailing. Reading Company Station in background to left.
portroadexcurmp54.jpg

Similar excursion using MP54E equipment on C&PD Branch in 1954.
4554old.jpg

Another view of MPB54E in service on an electrified single track branch, possibly between Media and West Chester. Baggage man looking out baggage door.

Good morning all
It’s a cool damp 50 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Sorry been gone for so long I’ve got a lot of projects going on. Trying to clean up around my Hobby Farm and get ready for winter. I thought about marking a farm diorama for the HO Layout. Here’s some pics of what will be going on it. I always want to make a John Deere Hammer mill with the Athearn John Deere A this is what I have done so far. I will probably start a thread on this.

A214CB3E-6F26-4D82-9AED-CBB2974C6963.jpeg
13BA2D30-8856-4A73-B954-EF71927D8A97.jpeg
E992688C-FC54-49D7-8A5E-764E46028B29.jpeg
2F303455-ED16-4839-88EE-C1798EA84600.jpeg
79D61AD2-18FE-4688-872C-826ED4F64D28.jpeg
35E4A17D-378E-40AF-AEE0-684F00B958C6.jpeg
DD51CC5D-5E70-473F-B43E-F684F9CD9B84.jpeg
E307C4E7-09E8-4340-B670-819E46336E05.jpeg
A9B06710-3C07-4967-A054-C608DCEDD17D.jpeg
69ED0759-6DD6-4D3E-A71B-AFC669E11121.jpeg

I'm Impressed! The weather guessers have hit the highs on the nose for the past two days - let's see how they do today advertising a 78F high under a mostly clear sky. The record high for this date was 100F in 1999 - and the record low was 41F in 2009.
Howdy there FRANCINE! Always happy to see you here on the weekends; ask MEL if he will be so kind to make me one of his "everything but the sink" omelets this morning with a diet DP to drink. No coffee today as I am thirsty from the food last night - the Spousal Unit and I went to our now favorite 'Mexican Cafe' (that's the name) and stuffed ourselves - still bringing home one-half of what we ordered. Sakes alive, they certainly do give an ample plate full of food - and it is a large plate as well!
I still have NOT heard from GARRY - nary a word. I don't think I will call again this soon. I will give it a few more days.

GUY - I have no idea what the difference in those hoppers is? Try and catch one leaving town and maybe see what they are carrying? BTW - this winter when you want an escape from the cold - you are welcome to come here and spend a couple days finding, labeling, and sorting a few thousand photos of mine .... I really have a mess from combining three computers and two phones scattered among 25 different folders. I didn't do it, but somehow all the photos are like someone put them all in a box and shook them up and dumped them over all the folders - what a mess!

WILLIE - Those are some nice looking coeds. I appreciate you thinking of me. I don't consider myself a "dirty old man": I just think that there is nothing better on earth to look at than a beautiful, shapely woman between the ages of 18 and 80!
My dad's motto was: When I get to old to look - just throw some dirt over me! He trained me well - LOL.

As FESTUS would say: I got a good'en!
I'm keeping her! BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back