Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used these points for a very little shunting layout:
19.jpg

Good morning global kindred spirits. Walked outside and gasped, the humidity is already nasty. Thankfully it’s cloudy and there is a breeze from the southwest. The high is low 90’s but the dew point is already 69 and the humidity just lowered to 86%.

I checked the note from my wife and it says they are out riding but today’s trip around the Farmers Market is still on. Great! I have the grandson’s last hockey practice this afternoon at 1. Last one till October, but his soccer started last week. It’s never ending with them!

My brother called and asked when we are coming out? Told him your Governor is asking people to stay away, his response was he is telling tourists to stay away not owners of property. Maybe in October after seeing if the grandkids will need us for after school time. I told Terry and her 1st comment was she needs to find transport for her horse!$! About 9 last night both Terry and my sister showed up in the cave. I knew immediately I was doomed. The horses need 45 day notice because transport to the islands is tough. My sister’s AB&B in California is 9//9/2021 to 10/15/2021 and can join us then. So, at 11 called the brother and told him to expect us around the 15th and yes I will bring my golf clubs, no I am not joining his club ok send me the info to join the club, no I had to plans for a car, no I don’t want to buy one, rentals are over a grand a week, ok I will talk to your dealer and we will be back in Wisconsin for Christmas. I think I talked to him longer last night then the whole time of the Covid troubles.

My buddy just texted and said he can come over at 2:30 with the trees and stay till we kick him out. Seems Terry had invited the girlfriend who he calls his partner or significant other Monday when I told her he was coming over to work on some trees. He said he will stop at McDonalds and buy the after hockey practice 2 orders of large French fries. He has 104 wire armatures twisted together for me that should make 5” and 6” trees. He made for himself he says 281 of those sizes and almost 100 of the 3” size that will make great bushes. Forming the branches all afternoon should get him 100 ready for the Woodland Scenic molding compound.

I got an email yesterday about the tree process I use. Basically I am a huge fan of You Tube modeler Luke Towan from down under. An excellent modeler who also writes a great script, demonstrates and records his processes the best on line and who’s voice my wife loves. I follow his wire armature tree process if you are interested in making trees. Check him out on You Tube.

Heading down for some stair climbing time. Enjoy your day.
TomO
View attachment 131576
I like your culvert, have you considered added a hint of white to the water, as when water runs over stone soil it picks up air and turn water white,excellent use of real twigs and mixed colours
mine with white for your consideration….also less is more literally just a whisper….erm that might be do as I say not do as I do :D
F5C7B065-F44E-4D79-9E5F-1F6AE80EBAEE.jpeg

this one is so much less that there is NO white paint just the angle of reflection catching the light, moving camera up and down can help catch this
70C65280-E45A-4CE2-AD09-D2A4E6BCABFD.jpeg

when you can get away with overkill, but as I go out to the water just a dab or two
64CCEEEC-295F-47E0-91E1-B25AEC0610DD.jpeg

paint on large lump, light on ripples, luckily I have velum windows and ensure the water features align to the light
94899EDD-27DB-4E61-BBA1-3155987411D5.jpeg

here I used plastic and / or varnsh the plastic type - actuallytakes ages to dry and drove me made, but anyway I added water then added more plastic and / or varnish so the white was covered and thus shinier, foreground is light from window
I saw you had added colour into your water, and it pays off I think it gives a better appearance of flow
862DD934-97C8-4242-900B-BF64C684B65D.jpeg

again a little paint and some light, angles make a big difference when photographing
92A4F67E-5D3B-4AE5-8B06-02EDBC24EA02.jpeg

now a number of people will say nice, BUT I had white and thinned blue in the mix here, and it looked good THEN I added more white….and frankly wish I had left well alone. The vertical is now too white although the horizontal is for me still ok. Sometimes you have to think yeah I think this is almost as good as it gets and should walk away…and leave it alone!
100F41F2-7CEC-4EA3-ACDC-34B0984B7B37.jpeg

this was the blue and worse I did not photograph it when I actually liked it DOH!

I like your culvert, have you considered added a hint of white to the water, as when water runs over stone soil it picks up air and turn water white,excellent use of real twigs and mixed colours
mine with white for your consideration….also less is more literally just a whisper….erm that might be do as I say not do as I do :D
View attachment 131578
this one is so much less that there is NO white paint just the angle of reflection catching the light, moving camera up and down can help catch this
View attachment 131579
when you can get away with overkill, but as I go out to the water just a dab or two
View attachment 131580
paint on large lump, light on ripples, luckily I have velum windows and ensure the water features align to the light
View attachment 131581
here I used plastic and / or varnsh the plastic type - actuallytakes ages to dry and drove me made, but anyway I added water then added more plastic and / or varnish so the white was covered and thus shinier, foreground is light from window
I saw you had added colour into your water, and it pays off I think it gives a better appearance of flow
View attachment 131585
again a little paint and some light, angles make a big difference when photographing
View attachment 131586
now a number of people will say nice, BUT I had white and thinned blue in the mix here, and it looked good THEN I added more white….and frankly wish I had left well alone. The vertical is now too white although the horizontal is for me still ok. Sometimes you have to think yeah I think this is almost as good as it gets and should walk away…and leave it alone!
View attachment 131587
this was the blue and worse I did not photograph it when I actually liked it DOH!

JazA

thank you. I have tried adding movement to creeks with the water rushing around the rocks but in this particular scene I prefer the quietness of the water. This started out as a dry creek. I will need to take pictures of another creek I have that shows some current and splashing water around some rocks.

TomO

Good Afternoon All,

Today I ballasted about 12 ft. of mainline that runs around the RH/TT area. I probably still have 20+ ft. of mainline to go. I also figured out the outer building placement for the mine so I can work on the mine perimeter landscaping. I'll be at Dad's the next 2 days.

Garry- Great looking tow truck. Years ago while visiting Horseshoe Curve NKP765 (I believe that's the correct one) with the Pennsy Heritage diesel as additional power was doing a fan trip. It was just luck I was there that day.

Troy- Great photos.

Jaz- Around here they either go to recycling or people post that they have them and offer them for free to whoever wants them. Awesome water modeling.

Gary- You can also Dremel cut back on the straight through track.

Willie- Nice pictures and scenes.

Christian- The layout is indeed an inspiration. For what it's worth I prefer #2 also.

This photo is not very sexy compared to the others today. The platform location is based on the stairs that start at the doorway on the mine.

20210825_123205.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone.....very humid and hot!!! Dog days of summer are here.

Guess I'll need t look for a place to live after Cathy finds out that a fifth DCC/sound locomotive is on its way. I ordered a Rapido SOO SW1200 via a LHS months ago and I forgot that it was ordered until they sent me an email for my credit card number. I just received a Rapido MILW SW1200 and have on order two Scale Trains, Museum SDL39's and a Rapido SP B36-7. At least I have some time before the SDL39's arrive. I always could live the home-less life of a Hobo.

Speaking of Hobo's...as a kid in the 50's we lived near the SOO Line mainline tracks, some 15 or so miles from DuPlainville, Wisconsin that was a poplar spot for hobos to catch trains since the SOO/Milw diamond was locate there in the small unincorporated town. But, near our house in a wooded area there was a small hobo camp that we as kids would check on many times during the summer. Even at a young age, as county boys, we carried .22 rifles, so we felt protected should we encounter any hobos. We never saw anyone. The camp was always clean and had signs in hobo language that we could not understand.

Living in the county and in the 50's we could buy .22 ammo even at our ages and I even brought .22 rifles at only 14. No restrictive rules like today's.

The A/C condensation tube clogged yesterday and a ton of water entreated the carpeted area of the train room. It's still drying today. No damage other than the wet carpet. The carpet tile I used is for Menards and I brought twice of what I need for the room so I would have some spares to redo the traffic lanes when the tie comes. The condensation line on the wife's car is also clogged, a problem that we discovered this afternoon.

Thanks guys for the comments on the photos I posted yesterday.

213B4687-0D01-4A5B-AB29-D0769DAFF1F6.jpeg
My heavy weathered patched Wisconsin Central SW1500 now a CM&N Railroad locomotive in need of a paint job.-Greg

202001149514175495Film2(1).jpg
A less weathered MN&S locomotive, a line that the SOO once owned.-Greg

The MN&S locomotive was weathered using black weathering powders on the sides to dull the finish after even a coating of Dullcote and then thinned, black oil paint on a narrow brush used to touch the seams of the locomotives panels and allow capillary action to spread the paint. Dust was applied to the trucks and fuel tanks.

That's about all for now.....................

Greg

####################

Good evening!

I probably won't be coming in for a few days. The wife is on a holiday from her work and she insists that this time be used for fishing. So, it's off to Silkstone at 5am each day for the next while. Home late every night.
Thought I'd drop a couple of photos down of the action today, just to show my face in the shop, and then get to bed. Daylight comes very early.
We are catching a few Rainbows:
Silkstone_08-25-2021 (1).jpg

See the snow on the Rockies behind me. That wasn't there last week.

Silkstone_08-25-2021 (2).jpg

I skimmed through the posts, but, will have to catch up later.
Have a good one!

84B2E9BB-C179-44FD-AB77-DC871CD79E8A.jpeg
8431E516-04EF-46F4-9A0B-2D97891EE1D8.jpeg
E1B8D500-41FB-4EED-AD7F-E7C10166E57C.jpeg

we were discussing track colouring on another forum - DCC Concepts, I tend to use Railmatch paint and DCC Concepts weathering powders.
I do mod there, but it is more a help desk for their products, I cannot remember the last time I had to take any moderator actions. I know the owner, well I have met and chatted to the owner, and once drove him to His hotel, one time when he and his partner realised they had missed the last train - LOL ironic or what as his whole product line is a bout railways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back