Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon gang!

Got most of the way done with the morning shower when the well pump died. After a few calls too find out who could fix it today a tech finally came out, assessed the system and told me that the pup installed in 2012 was no good, and for $2400.00 they would replace it tomorrow. Ouch! Oh well, there goes the bass boat off of my list of future toys! At least for this season.

Garry Love those Chinese red units!!

BBL

Afternoon All,

Took Dad to the VA today which took most of the day. After taking Dad home I found his missing E reader (laying on a table) and fixed his wireless keyboard (needed batteries). I brought a load of shredding to do at my home tomorrow. After a cup of coffee I cleaned the track I ballasted yesterday and ran my older Y6b over it without issue.

Willie- Nice scenes and resin truck.

TomO- Nice looking trees.

Christian- Which one is your favorite? That's what important since you will be operating it.

Garry- Excellent layout shots.

Steven- Congratulations on your milestone.

Greg- Nice layout shots.

Karl- That beats the $1777.32 I spent on the truck yesterday.

I hope everyone has a good night.

KARL - I will see your $2400 well pump and raise you 6 tires, an alignment, and now a "check engine" light + a "wrench" light to boot! $1300 for the first two and no idea (yet) on the latter two. The code for the engine light says that the fuel pump module is not talking to "whatever" it is supposed too? How is it still running? Is this another rodent induced problem, or something bigger? Danged "house on wheels" is getting expensive!
I'm going to scoot under it this afternoon and see if I have additional rodent attacks?
I will be back later-- finally caught up on most all of the posts - I'll comment on some of them later. Keep up the great photos and modeling efforts.

No moisture out this way - how about we trade you some fires for some water?
We'll toss in a Governor to boot!

Thanks everybody for the likes on my photos.

Greg, Karl, and Curt .... thanks for the complements .

Greg ... I like your photos. The mine and pulpwood scenes are excellent.

Willie mentioned the old Magnuson Models vehicle kits . This tow truck is one I made from one of those kits. The car was from another resin kit but not Magnuson .
3C68F2A3-4635-4094-8EAB-3DBA69F57CFA.jpeg

Good evening from Wisconsin. It has been raining since about 1. Had to go over to the grandson’s house after lunch today. He was home while dad works from his home office. Trouble with the slot track. No power. After looking at the power pack the power strip was clicked off. Much relief to the 7 year old grandson because he had his IPad taken away till Saturday night at 10 when he’s sleeping anyway. The call I got from him was a hoot, “poppa please come over I broke the race track, I love you poppa”.

TomO

8F176AD3-FD1C-44AD-98ED-6F9E8F0A1196.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Back from Dad's. We got 2 pickup loads removed to other locations, a pile on the street and a full outside trashcan. I'm taking tomorrow off. Had to put my truck in the shop this morning for new tires, front end alignment, new brakes, new front end strut, fuel system servicing, oil change, and tune up. Some was planned, some wasn't $$$$$. I would say forget it, but we need it to go to VA in September and again in October for Dad's move. It'll be like the bionic truck...we can make it better.

Jaz- MOH plans on that. I don't have the patience for it. I remember ESSO from when I lived in Germany during the early 70's.

Willie- Nice looking buildings.

Guy- Nice looking CN diesels.

Joe- Continued well wishes with the storm. I look forward to hearing about and seeing the Rapido SW1200. I really like the Pennsy FA units from them but I have too much motive power now and never pulled the trigger on them.

Steve- That has happened to us all at some point. I don't know if you have ever put in a TT/RH and associated track before? I have put in two of them and I'll just say make sure everything is lined up as perfectly as you can get it (take your time) and test the heck out of it with every loco you own. I speak from experience.

I hope everyone has a good night.
It is shocking how much cash you can make from the postage,and I do not mean packing poorly,you can recycle cardboard boxes and newspaper - does anyone buy those nowadays - and plastic food packets as protection.ask friends for packaging - yes this means first off you have more - but sort the packing for those items and pre photograph, so you are not scrambling around or paying for expensive packaging…hide your railway boxes!!!!

Morning all,

80° in Doo-Dah this morning with pop thunderstorms (not severe) north of us. You can see the lightning. Supposed to get to 102° later with heat index above 105°.

Pool below the filter so I shut down the pump last night. It's going down over the weekend. I was asked by the grandkids if I was getting another. I said I didn't know yet. For the amount of work to keep it running vs. the actual time it was used the past 2 years, it doesn't make sense to get another.

Got a phishing email yesterday purportedly from the mayor asking for help. No less that 25 people asking if it real or spam...so I sent the email telling them it's spam and how to tell. Didn't even come from 1 of the 2 legitimate email address our mayor uses. This particular one pops up about every 18 months or so and I find I have to remind people that I don't need to know about these. It is usually the people that have been here a long time that need reminded. Job security I guess...

Pool below the filter so I shut down the pump last night. It's going down over the weekend. I was asked by the grandkids if I was getting another. I said I didn't know yet. For the amount of work to keep it running vs. the actual time it was used the past 2 years, it doesn't make sense to get another.

You know, with the lack of grass where the pool is, that would be a nice spot to begin a garden railway.

You might even get that mayor chap to finance it for you with another email... :cool: :p

Good morning ....

Troy .... Your photos of Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society are very interesting. NKP 765 appears to be in great condition. Are they restoring the Wabash switcher and and SD9?

Christian .... #2 looks like a winner to me.

Sherrel .... A question you might answer. Some young people are thinking of visiting CA, and they are interested in Venice beach of LA. From what I hear, that is not a desirable location. What do you think ?

Everybody ..... Have a good day.

Good morning global kindred spirits. Walked outside and gasped, the humidity is already nasty. Thankfully it’s cloudy and there is a breeze from the southwest. The high is low 90’s but the dew point is already 69 and the humidity just lowered to 86%.

I checked the note from my wife and it says they are out riding but today’s trip around the Farmers Market is still on. Great! I have the grandson’s last hockey practice this afternoon at 1. Last one till October, but his soccer started last week. It’s never ending with them!

My brother called and asked when we are coming out? Told him your Governor is asking people to stay away, his response was he is telling tourists to stay away not owners of property. Maybe in October after seeing if the grandkids will need us for after school time. I told Terry and her 1st comment was she needs to find transport for her horse!$! About 9 last night both Terry and my sister showed up in the cave. I knew immediately I was doomed. The horses need 45 day notice because transport to the islands is tough. My sister’s AB&B in California is 9//9/2021 to 10/15/2021 and can join us then. So, at 11 called the brother and told him to expect us around the 15th and yes I will bring my golf clubs, no I am not joining his club ok send me the info to join the club, no I had to plans for a car, no I don’t want to buy one, rentals are over a grand a week, ok I will talk to your dealer and we will be back in Wisconsin for Christmas. I think I talked to him longer last night then the whole time of the Covid troubles.

My buddy just texted and said he can come over at 2:30 with the trees and stay till we kick him out. Seems Terry had invited the girlfriend who he calls his partner or significant other Monday when I told her he was coming over to work on some trees. He said he will stop at McDonalds and buy the after hockey practice 2 orders of large French fries. He has 104 wire armatures twisted together for me that should make 5” and 6” trees. He made for himself he says 281 of those sizes and almost 100 of the 3” size that will make great bushes. Forming the branches all afternoon should get him 100 ready for the Woodland Scenic molding compound.

I got an email yesterday about the tree process I use. Basically I am a huge fan of You Tube modeler Luke Towan from down under. An excellent modeler who also writes a great script, demonstrates and records his processes the best on line and who’s voice my wife loves. I follow his wire armature tree process if you are interested in making trees. Check him out on You Tube.

Heading down for some stair climbing time. Enjoy your day.
TomO
B9E87760-D940-402F-ABFE-B49FEEED3546.jpeg

You know, with the lack of grass where the pool is, that would be a nice spot to begin a garden railway.
You might even get that mayor chap to finance it for you with another email... :cool: :p

Unfortunately my backyard faces SW and with no trees or shade structure isn't very inviting. Besides it's another obstacle to have to mow around. The pool area is nothing more than just a sand layer to level the bottom of the pool liner. But it is a good idea...

TomO: Thanks for the heads up on trees and bushes.

Good morning everyone,
Does anyone know the currently available shortest Peco switches that would work to get the shortest ladder system by chance? I find that there part numbers often change, and hoping someone here might be more familiar with Peco track.

I think for me it will be Code 100 part # SL e91 or 92 at about 7.3", if anyone thinks I am wrong, please let me know.

Good Morning All. It's clear although a bit hazy, and 72° to get started on this Wednesday. Weather geeks are shooting for 98° again today, same as the last two days when it never got above 95°. Instead of a heat advisory for today, we have an air quality alert.

Make it a BLT today Flo, extra bacon.

Thanks for the many likes and comments regarding the switching adventure photos yesterday; Tom O, Sherrel, Christian, Patrick, Chad, Garry, Karl, Steve J, Hughie, Guy, Gary, Curt, Rick, Troy, Tom.

Another day of odds and ends in the train shed yesterday. Finished the touch up paint on the resin vehicle and added it to the switch tower scene in Rycon Township.
IMG_7377.JPG

Still awaiting decals whenever I get the decaling work station set up again.
Then I did some more clouds in Vernon.
IMG_7382 (2).JPG

I continued to add weeds over in Graham.
IMG_7380.JPG

IMG_7381.JPG

And I made another shot at making a tree with Super Trees.
IMG_7383.JPG
While it is a nice looking tree, as Tom O pointed out, the trunk is too small in diameter.
I don't know where I might ramble today on the layout. Should I assemble another structure? Or freight car? Paint some more figures? I have been scoping out potential sites for landscaping or just improvements over what's already there, but just cannot decide. Or maybe I might just run some more trains. After all, that's what they are there for.

Tom O - Third jab here is October for us. Texas vaccinated seniors before essentials, so we're in line earlier.
Garry - I always intend to take more pictures during my switching runs, but until Monday I kept forgetting until I was halfway through. I actually still have three more Magnuson vehicles left on the shelf to assemble. These things remind me how far the hobby has come with vehicles. Surprisingly, some of the earliest nicely detailed models came from Model Power back in the late 80's.
Karl - That's a real drag about the pump. I can sympathize with you given my experience back in February when the water company's pumps all froze and I ended up replacing $1000 worth of water pipes because I couldn't drip the faucets.
Troy - Very nice set of photos from the Museum. Reminds me that I need to get out to the Museum of the American Railroad nearby in Frisco TX for a visit now that they have everything moved.
Patrick - That's too bad that you don't get more use out of your pool. Especially with the Kansas weather. You just have to get in! I use mine 2-3 times a day, usually no more than 20 minutes at a time.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone,
Does anyone know the currently available shortest Peco switches that would work to get the shortest ladder system by chance? I find that there part numbers often change, and hoping someone here might be more familiar with Peco track.
I think for me it will be Code 100 part # SL e91 or 92 at about 7.3", if anyone thinks I am wrong, please let me know.
The shortest Peco tournouts are the ST-240 ( Setrack No.2 radius right handed point with insulfrog) and the ST-241 ( Setrack No.2 radius left handed point with insulfrog). Length: 6"1/2. Hope that helps...Photo bellow:

101B.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back