Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Flo ! Could you serve me a cassoulet with a bottle of Cahors red wine ? I'm really hungry. Thanks.

cassoulet-de-castelnaudary.jpg

Morning all,

Nothing new on the trains this morning. It's 74° and cloudy this morning. We had patchy sprinkles overnight.

Enjoying the discussion about the folding layout. I have also seen flip tables where you have like a game table on one side and a layout on the other.

Christian: That cassoulet looks good. Too bad it's 6:30 in the morning in the Central US.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 74°, humidity is only at 98%. Scattered rain and thunderstorms all around, some might be here soon. Ominous rumbling outside right now at 0530. Yesterday was another crazy weather day here, never getting above 74° until 6:00 pm when it rose to 79°. It rained for a while before dawn, again at 11:00 am, then again around 1:00 pm for a total of 3". In between it sprinkled until mid-afternoon. None of this ran off, it's been on the dry side here so it all soaked in. It's been a wet August by our standards, average year is 2", we've had 6"+ this month so far. It's also been the coolest August in a long time, with the highest temperature that I've seen at 97°.
I am a bit disappointed that the pool filled up but it is only 76°. Hopefully it will start to warm up tomorrow when the sun comes back out.
Today is the weekly grocery/beer trek into Denton. I am not sure if we have any other stops on the list today. I'm thinking Walmart because they seem to be the only store in town that carries the brand and style of toothpaste that I like to use. My wife made a "Poor Mans Peach Cobbler" last night to go with the homemade vanilla ice cream that she made earlier in the day. The cobbler had peaches wrapped in pieces of Crescent Dinner roll dough, then doused with some melted butter/peach juice syrup and covered with a cinnamon/sugar mix, and then baked. Tasted great! It's a keeper recipe.

How about just a giant blueberry muffin and a handful of bacon this morning Flo. Tell Mel not to cook the bacon quite so long.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the Dry Goods kit that I am about to embark on; Joe, Christian, Tom O, Patrick, Garry, Hughie, Karl, Gary, Troy, Tom, Guy, Sherrel.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I worked on the Dry Goods kit.
IMG_7257.JPG

IMG_7279.JPG

I actually finished it but it looks like I forgot to take any pictures of the finished model! o_OI am not going out in the rain just for that right now...it's still too dark.
Additionally I added more weeds to the scene in Graham, this time on the other side of the scene by the bicycle repair shop.

Guy - Maybe the bears got all of the blueberries!:mad:
Great ROW pictures yesterday. Why the derail? Or do you know?
Tom O - Thanks for your analysis of the Super Trees. I did note the thin trunks and the frailness right away. I have already considered cutting the branches off and just making small trees which go better with the locale that I model. They might work in a cluster where the trunks can be hidden with smaller trees in front.
Garry - That is a nice looking BL2, but in my opinion the only uglier diesel is Santa Fe's CF7's. At least the CF7 was more reliable!
Hughie - In my post yesterday regarding the scene at the train shed entrance, I mistakenly attributed three models to JL Innovative. One of them is actually American Model Builders Laser kit.
Curt - While that dry goods store is a definite beginners kit, it will fit nicely where I want it to go. Most of my other AMB kits are quite detailed and are much more complex. I actually have two of their kits made in plastic before they shifted everything to wood. Those plastic kits were laser-cut as well. Both were bought back in the 90's.
Sherrel - Looks like Temecula has made the news again this week. Garbage truck explodes. Seems like I saw another story about a trash truck fire in your area as well.

Well it's a heavier thundershower than I thought, at least according to the Weather Underground station just around the corner. It is showing 0.68" in the last hour. I'm not going to go out and check my rain gauge until daylight.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning as well everyone, hope you all have a great day. Celebration for me here today as my mortgage is officially paid off, will be celebrating with a nice dinner out tonight. Train room is getting new LED lighting along with my garage, switching to LED from my old fluorescents with ballasts all starting to go. Everything seems to be plug in nowadays or pocket lights It seems

Hello Happy Modelers !
Due to my total lack of skill in computing (and patience too!) :mad::mad::mad:, My old Raboliot account no longer works. So I created this new account because I don't want to miss anything in the famous Coffee Shop Running Bear's August 2021.
In the same time, YT deleted my channel "Raboliot's trains" because it was "sexually explicit". WTF!
Anyway, I'm very happy to be back.
Christian
Sexually explicit…tut tut….sniggers…..hey did you have some of those figures that are doing sexy things or peeing….I love them …make me laugh….I think you can appeal.

There was a local garden club that got banned on FB because they were talking about weeding tools and one of the tools was a hoe. FB felt they were being discriminatory.
beggars disbelief….
For what it's worth, in American English slang, "running a train" is a sexual term.
hey I am English been around a long time, and never knew that…..doh I miss out all this time and it takes the coffee shop to clue me in….unless it like appeared in the last 10 years…..then I am like…..stupid…pc…..too pc correct……wtf…….don’t be so soft…..why is it your male white and straight your ’insert rude word of your choice’ and I can say this I’m female white and straight and am waiting quietly in the queue for them to turn on me….oh they have done….hey they are turning on each other…..DUCK!
My husband has warned me I cannot go on any number of sites that are not illegal because it is sure to lose me my account…..because I do not do politically correct. And I do not dislike most of the people who would have a go, and am friends with people who occasionally I have to tune out to, including my sister in law, lovely woman but blinkered and so left I cannot see her walking in a straight line….ever. do not start a calm debate with her, she will end up screaming or crying…..but honestly nice woman…but totally blinkered.

Good Morning!

Finally got some rain during the night, just enough to soak the ground. It didn't last long and looks like back to blue skies this morning. 51F @ 6:00am.

Guy - Maybe the bears got all of the blueberries!:mad:
Great ROW pictures yesterday. Why the derail? Or do you know?
Nope, Willie. I don't think the bears are getting many blueberries. It's just a bad year. There is a good crop of wild raspberry, though, so that should keep the bears happy enough for awhile.
I suppose that derail is there for safety's sake, or perhaps there is a regulation. The tracks don't go anywhere and are tore up down the road. At one time they went to the Husky Oil sulfur pits and an Amoco plant. Also, before the automobile, there was a village in there known as 'Silver City'. Now that area is being reclaimed and trees are being planted.

Thankyou, everyone for the comments and likes on my photo posts. Really appreciated.

Yesterday, I did go for a track walk going to the east of town. Gotta tell ya, I won't be doing that again. It's all boreal swamp going that way; very hard to walk and not a whole lot of paths. - The tracks bed is built up on a berm about 6' up from ground level. Even the tracks are hard to walk because they have so much ballast in there. - Nope, I'll stick with going west from now on.

A train did come by, though. I was able to get a crappy photo of the lead engine. It was moving along fairly quick:
CN 3053_08-18-2021 (4).JPG

That train had the front engine facing west, pulling more than a hundred empty gravel hoppers, and then another engine on the rear facing east. The engines were back to back with empty 3-bay open hoppers between them.
I believe I know why they had that configuration. The train was bringing in empty hoppers for the local gravel pit to fill. So the ET44's would drop the hoppers off on a siding in the staging area, in a single line. Then, they would both unhook from the hoppers and join themselves up, so that the rear engine coming in would now become the lead engine pulling a loaded train back to Edmonton. Of course, the loaded train is already stored in the staging yard, ready to go.

Here's the rear engine. The train stopped just as it past me, with nobody in the rear engine. That allowed me to get some fairly good close-up photos, although, I couldn't get to far off the berm due to the swampy ground. Here's a few close-ups:
CN 3191_08-18-2021.JPG

CN 3191_ET44AC_08-18-2021 (2).JPG

CN 3191_ET44AC_08-18-2021 (3).jpg

Here's a photo of the rear engine, taken when I was trying to exit the area. Really tough walking in there.
CN 3191_ET44AC_08-18-2021 (1).jpg

That's all the time I have today. I have to go paint the rich ladies bedroom; and I only mean with a brush.

Have a good one!

Good morning global modelers from the south facing deck in Wisconsin. I have another hour out here then the sun comes clear of the overhang and it gets warm out here. High today should 87 with even higher humidities back.

Took the daughter’s SUV into the dealer for a minor adjustment. Hey even German SUV’s have recalls. Service guy ran the vin# and said 2 new recalls so we will drive you home and deliver this afternoon. I said fine, so my 1 hour wait was cancelled and I am home.

Working on the layout. The 60’ expansion area will get worked on today as it seemed dry this morning. The cork roadbed is down but I am waiting for the Central Valley tie strips. I have just enough rail but need those ties. I will do the scenery up to the cork road bed. The 2 turnouts for the siding are in place. I will start with the creek beds and go from there.

My LHS pusher does have 30 sticks of code 70 flex and 20 of code 83 if the tie strips don’t come in. I was unaware of turnout, rail and flex shortages. I can make my own #8’s and #10 turnouts as I do have plenty of Central Valley turnout kits but those are huge especially as I run a Terminal Railroad.

Willie, because I need so many more trees in this 60’ section I may use the super trees after spray painting them and adding leaves in the background. Not sure yet but leaning that way.

guy, perfect pictures on how weathering the pilot of a locomotive should be

enjoy your day
TomO

Howdy ...

Tom O ...... That T-shirt about Illinois is hilarious. I grew up there. Not ever moving back.

Willie .... I like the general store, and the dry goods store kit looks like it will be fun to put together.

Joe ...... The DD2 looks interesting. I can't count the wheels because the photo is too dark in that area. I'm guessing 8 drive wheels

I mentioned yesterday we saw I-24 traffic being detoured through our little town. The Interstate has a major construction project with a single lane in each direction with concrete barriers along the sides. A truck crashed and burned between them. By the time local fire trucks arrived, the entire tractor-trailer was burned up.

Here is the BL2 preserved at Kentucky Railway Museum. It was built when EMD was owned by GM. Apparently, automotive stylists tried to cross a GP7 with an Oldsmobile, and this was the result. .

35628103981_7e66f7f912_b.jpg

We had 2 of the BL2s operating in my neck of the woods until recent as they were sold.

You can see here what happened to them....

Last edited:
Nice photos. Do you have any updates on your layout?
Curt: Yes, one of the Marine terminal. BTW your track work turned out really well. Sand stone and Static Grass, sounds like a Rock Band from the 70s.

Joe- I think you missed the other A in “Ac-a-ME”.
Mike: I stand corrected, actually, I still pronounce it Ac-a-me. You should see some of the looks I get.

I had actually never heard of ACC until these comments here and had to go look it up. I thought maybe it was French,

Chad: Not French, maybe Jersey? ;) Seriously, there are numerous things referred to by different names, For instance, CA = ACC = Super Glue, Caboose = Cabin Car = Van = Hack, Soda = Coke = POP, Switch = Turnout = Points.

I can't count the wheels because the photo is too dark in that area. I'm guessing 8 drive wheels

Garry:
Yes, DD = 2 Class D, just like GG = 2 Class G. DD1 or DD2 = 4-4-4-4, not to be confused with PRR Class T, 4-4-4-4. The T-1 was a duplex drive on a rigid frame, the class Ds were articulated or permanently coupled back to back. (DD1). More information than you would ever want to know.

Guy and Ray: That track is relatively good, compared to some routes I've had to run over. Don't recall the song, sorry.

Marine Terminal 08-12-2021.jpg

More concrete needs to be applied, along with weathering, lights and bulkheads. One side will feature container traffic off of lighterage, and the other side Lumber distribution. Sort of a very miny Port Newark / Port Elizabeth, but based on a 1939 aerial photo of the actual location.

NYSW @ Roselle Pk o B&O to SI.jpg

This 1986 photo of a NYS&W (Suzie Q), train enroute from the B&O Interchange at Cranford, NJ on Conrail (LV) to the Howland Hook Marine Terminal on Staten Island. NYS&W parent Delaware Ostego Corp., was the designated operator of the B&O line and the Rahway Valley RR at the time. Photographer, Dave Vierschilling hired on Conrail, and worked as my Conductor on numerous occasions, and is a proud owner of a completely restored 1965 Mustang.

Chad: Not French, maybe Jersey? ;) Seriously, there are numerous things referred to by different names, For instance, CA = ACC = Super Glue, Caboose = Cabin Car = Van = Hack, Soda = Coke = POP, Switch = Turnout = Points.

You forgot "tonic" for a soda or pop. When I was 10 we moved from Arizona to Massachusetts. From the land of "pop" or "soda pop" to the land of "tonics" and "cokes"... Was quite confusing when I first got there. Especially the word "coke" being used for a generic "soda" of any brand or type. Being in Utah for the last 20 years, I am back in "pop" or "soda pop" or rarely "soda' land. I just choose the middle ground and say "soda", translating it to "pop" for the confused...

Having been an avid user of CA glue since the early 90s I had honestly never heard of it being called ACC. I guess that is because I came from the RC model airplane world where everyone, it seems, calls it CA (old school wood and balsa and heavy duty glow engines, not the new fangled composites and foam and electric engines)... I only jokingly mentioned French since every word becomes 3 words in French and it had more letters as ACC :)

Found an answer to my question: in the video the guy talks about "a regular oak sheet". The standard sheet of plywood measures 4 x 8 feet. So the layout too I guess.
You can make it any size. The thing is it folds up and can be put away. With your limited space when your done running trains it could go in a closet or slide under a bed. You could do the same with your switching layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back