Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang

73° at 6 am already, heading for 91° according to those that know.

Ken, the Ford plant is going to be awesome! I'm putting my mark up on the call board now to be the switch crew at the next op session!!
btw, IF this is to represent the plant where Mavericks are built, then it would be Wayne MI, correct??

BBL

Last edited:
12:19 PM Lunch time in France ! Have a nice day and stay safe.:)

559933.JPG

Good morning global modelers from Wisconsin. It again is 64f degrees heading to the mid 70’s. Because the rain chances were below 15% overnight I left the cushions out. I should know better, yes it rained at 3am. I hit the sack at 9:58 last night, woke at 3, 4 and decided at 6 to stay up. Usually bedtime is between 11 and midnight but that’s twice this week around 10 I went.

The Milwaukee Bucks blew out the Suns in their game last night. Terry was real happy when she called. They were heading to a victory party

Raboliot, that looks like a great meal, now I am hungry

Flo, please a western omelette with sourdough toast and a diet Dt Pepper., thank you

question, has anyone here purchased the HO scale Bluford transfer caboose? They are much less expensive by $20 over the Fox Valley Model ones. Just asking if they are decently put together

TomO

55D6D612-F44D-4CAC-885F-42B50ED1ED9A.jpeg

Morning all,

Spent a couple hours at the office Saturday after getting the database backups copied to another server. I no sooner shut down the VM (Virtual Machine) when the drive issue corrected itself, reverting the VM back to the May 24th move date. So I then copied the backups to the now healthy Machine and I am waiting to see what condition the backups are in at 8:00 when the vendor rep gets back on duty. I mowed and caught up on a bunch of yardwork that has been getting pushed back, taking 2 loads of tree limbs from my peach trees to the city limb yard.

Sunday I helped take the overgrown bushes out from the front of the boys house and fixed the lawnmower he bent the blade on. Took a bunch of PB Blaster and heat to get it freed up. At least he didn't bend the mower shaft. Both kids use the mower so the daughter was antsy to get it going. Spent the last few hours last evening trying to relax.

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 68°! It's not often that the temperature is below 70° here in mid-July, but I'll take it. The pool is an incredible 80° this morning which is very pleasant but also unusual for this time of year. It hasn't been above 84° in over three weeks!
Spent much of the day Saturday and yesterday working on the mower deck for the tractor. The new deck arrived Friday, three days early, but despite assurances from Sears Parts Direct, it is not an exact match. It's missing a key bracket. So my neighbor came back by and we reviewed my options. He could cut the bracket off the old one and weld it on the new one, or after looking a second time, he decided that he could indeed repair the old one which he didn't think possible the first time that he looked. He was able to weld a small steel plate underneath to provide extra support and then weld the original broken bracket beck on. He took it to another friend's shop and did that yesterday. I reassembled everything but didn't have time to reattach it yet. That will take about 20 minutes this morning.
IMG_6866.JPG

IMG_6867.JPG

Since I bought the deck from Amazon instead of Sears, I can easily return it, no questions asked. Now getting it to UPS to send back will be an issue since it weighs 70 lbs, and UPS destroyed the original box when it fell out of the back of the truck in my driveway. Fortunately I took pictures.

Eggs over easy and a stack of sausage patties this morning Flo.

Thanks for the many likes and comments on the layout; Christian, Steve, Guy, Karl, Hughie, Tom O, Sherrel, Tom, Sir Robbins, Garry, Ken, Patrick.

While taking breaks from the mower deck task, I stepped into the train shed to work on the Wayne Feed Store lot.
IMG_6864.JPG

All three structures on that side of the road.
IMG_6865 (2).JPG

I'll pause here and work on the cannery and surrounding areas before adding some more details here. I think that I have enough people around the two LH buildings, but I want to add some more to Wally's Country Mart. And of course, raid the vehicle box for some customer vehicles. Signs and utility poles will wait until after I deal with the background, rather than installing and removing every time I want to do something back there. One would think that I have been doing this long enough to do the background areas first, but....

Guy - Sorry to read that your summer is warmer than you like it to be. My summer here is a lot cooler than normal but that's OK. I know that triple digits will hit sooner than later.
You can layer on the clothing, but, you can only strip down so far before you get arrested.
Depends on your neighbors! If I have a slight breeze I can be comfortable in a tee shirt, pair of shorts and my hat to protect my head. Obviously less in the pool.
Nice photo-study of the lumber car yesterday.
Hughie - You're right about the young kids. I wish that I had taken a picture the first time that I handed the throttle to my granddaughter. She was so thrilled to follow the train around, unplugging and re-plugging it in as it advanced. My grandsons, 12 & 14, however, seemed to have lost interest. Computers and Legos have taken over. Girls and cars are next! ;)
Joe - Here's hoping that the CT scan turns out successfully.
Besides the Cape Cod house and the switch tower I posted a few months ago, my other Plasticville structure is the Supermarket. However the printed cardstock window insert was ruined years ago by a dirt dauber that decided that was the best place to build it's nest, before the new train shed. I will eventually find a replacement window scene on the internet and use the building in a city that is only partially developed right now.

If Subway Sandwiches are your thing, they are giving away free sandwiches tomorrow from 10:00 am until noon local time at all of their locations. Tell them Willie sent you and watch the quizzical look on their faces.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning global modelers from Wisconsin. It again is 64f degrees heading to the mid 70’s. Because the rain chances were below 15% overnight I left the cushions out. I should know better, yes it rained at 3am. I hit the sack at 9:58 last night, woke at 3, 4 and decided at 6 to stay up. Usually bedtime is between 11 and midnight but that’s twice this week around 10 I went.

The Milwaukee Bucks blew out the Suns in their game last night. Terry was real happy when she called. They were heading to a victory party

Raboliot, that looks like a great meal, now I am hungry

Flo, please a western omelette with sourdough toast and a diet Dt Pepper., thank you

question, has anyone here purchased the HO scale Bluford transfer caboose? They are much less expensive by $20 over the Fox Valley Model ones. Just asking if they are decently put together

TomO

View attachment 129871
I bought one of the transfer cabooses. Looked good, was a pain to have on a train as it was a light caboose and did not roll good for me.

News reports say there are proposals are being prepared to salvage the ship. Not sure what that means. Government wants to minimize environmental impact. The sand bar is a duck habitat.

Garry: This comes under a concept known as "Admiralty Law", which I am completely unfamiliar with. Looks like the whole project is going to become a circus, as all the "Specials" join into the quest for a solution. Should be fun to watch eh :rolleyes:

Some nice photos guys, Tom and Tom L respectively. and others I missed. As usual, I'm pressed for time.

Ken: I like what you are doing with the Roberts buildings... I have elected to take my Ford Plant site, and make it a small power plant instead, not enough room for an assembly plant, even a 1959 era before high cube one. Man has got to know his limits...:rolleyes:. I take it, this plant will be against the backdrop, and the focus will be multi level loading?

CSX Q010 (Intermodal) over the trestle at Doodletown Bight from Bear Mountain to Iona Island, ...jpg

CSX Q010 on the "River Line", between Bear Mountain and Iona Island...River Line runs along the West shore of the Hudson

I bought one of the transfer cabooses. Looked good, was a pain to have on a train as it was a light caboose and did not roll good for me.
Thanks, I believe I can fix the weight issue. I am not normally cheap but $20 is still $20. This is a car that also will be rarely used, so…

About 5 years ago I had a brass transfer car I sold for the going price at the time 60-80 dollars. Happy to get it as I paid under $40 back in 1976 and it sat in the box all those years. I looked at EBay this morning and one is there for stupid amounts of money over $200.

Tom

it is not an exact match. It's missing a key bracket. So my neighbor came back by and we reviewed my options. He could cut the bracket off the old one and weld it on the new one, or after looking a second time, he decided that he could indeed repair the old one which he didn't think possible the first time that he looked. He was able to weld a small steel plate underneath to provide extra support and then weld the original broken bracket beck on. He took it to another friend's shop and did that yesterday. I reassembled everything but didn't have time to reattach it yet. That will take about 20 minutes this morning.

Looks like a good repair Willie, just throw a little paint on it to stop the repair from rusting and you'll be fine!

Morning again,

Databases restored fine, appear to be fully intact. Good thing I thought to see if the SQL databases could be backed up before I just shut the "bad" system down. Talk about vaporware...

Now I'm getting the headache from coming down off the adrenaline that's kept me awake for the past week. Hope I won't have to deal with that again for a while. Now to finish getting the backups moving again between the datacenters.

I agree Willie it looks like a good repair. Paint will keep it that way!

Good afternoon. Busy as usual, but did take yesterday off to watch the race at Atlanta and have my son and family over to grill dinner. The little guy sure is growing fast. The first try at solid foods tonight.
thumbnail_20210711_173335.jpg They grow like weeks.

Tom O
- A few of us have purchased the Bluford transfer caboose. Excellent model. Like that road sign. How true.

thumbnail_20190928_122934.jpg

Willie - Glad tat you were able to get that deck repaired. Would coat a lot to repair but when I saw the photo the other day, I knew that anyone that was a decent welder would figure it out. Like the photos as usual. The Villages are one of the better 55+ developments in Florida. I would have to do a lot of thinking, but I could be tempted. Problem is where would I put my classic cars? Coming home from the club last week, I went into town to stop at the grocery store instead of taking the side road home and the traffic was worse that we saw going through Kansas City on our way back from Texas. This area of Montana has gone to hell. Too many outsiders visiting and moving in. Here is a photo taken the other day of the traffic backed up waiting to get into Yellowstone Park from West Yellowstone in the background. This is just an hour (or more with motor homes) south of us. I ain't gonna be around much longer so I may as well go somewhere where I won't have to shovel snow.

FB_IMG_1626121661581.jpg

Joe
- Like the photo. Sort of modern for you.

Greg
- Pizza ? The wife hasn't gotten back yet. Could be a good idea.

Gotta go move rain birds,

LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back