Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning global modelers. As usual the weather guessers predicting the heavy rains yesterday afternoon were incorrect. Missed us by 10 miles but we did have maybe a 2 minutes downpour. Today based on my guess using the WeatherChannels radar app, we won’t get missed this afternoon.

I keep thinking, desalination for California. In the middle of a great sleep last night I woke out of a dream about desalination. They do have a $75 billion dollar state surplus. Sure would solve some issues and allow the Colorado River to regenerate. Yeah, I can solve the world issues if I could sleep more.

Because of the possible rain we will get both g/kids this morning as morning summer programs have been cancelled for today. The 9 year old can swim with grandma, the 7 year not until hockey is over at 2.

I was in the trainroom a couple hours last evening. Not much done but it is nice to relax with no dead lines. Enjoy your day.

TomO

86708249-F4C7-4AE5-BE4A-D5052BBD15DC.jpeg

Good Morning!
It's a comfortable 52f at 6:30am, with an immature drizzle happening outside. I'd prefer we had a full adult rain; a real soaker. It is what it is, though.

Sherrel - So sad to hear about you're hand and I highly recommend you getting that looked at. I know all too well what a dog bite can do to ones hand.
My right hand pinkie is useless, and my middle finger will only stand half erect for the hillbilly salute. This is the result of a drunken brawl with a large canine when I was quite young. The dog tore the tendons in my hand, rendering it almost useless and deformed. That was also a case where I let it self-heal, and didn't bother to get it looked at. Paid for it most of my life.
I suppose I was lucky my trigger finger was left unscathed; otherwise I might be taking photos as a lefty.

Hughie - Well done on the Majestic Hardware-n-Feed. It looks the part positioned there on the layout. I gotta say, though, the roadway underpasses look suspect. Dosen't look like the transport truck is going anywhere... Or is that just the way I'm seeing it in the photo.

It seems a quiet few days here in the shop, this past holiday weekend. Hope none of you blew you're hands off with fire-crackers.

I had a bit of luck yesterday, when the wife and I drove downtown.
As we were crossing the tracks, I looked to the east and could see a train approaching way off in the distance. So I decided it was worth parking for a moment to get a photo of the passing train. I didn't know at the time, what was coming. As a matter of fact, I didn't know what it was until it came out of a patch of trees obscuring my view of the tracks, from where we were parked.
The train came in fairly quick, only allowing me time for a couple of quick photos as it passed by and made it's escape. Turned out to be a GP38 pulling a track evaluation ensemble. Here's the only two, rather poor photos I was able to capture from the parking lot:
View attachment 129707
View attachment 129708

I knew that train was going to park in either the town yard or the staging yard, and I knew it was worth coming back to take photos, later when the
crew had gone to rest. It was worth it to me to take some risk to get better photos.
As it happened, the GP38 was parked in a not so good location in the shade of the large Home Hardware building. So I could only take photos from the wrong side according to the sun's location.
I did manage to get many photos, though. Even poor photos are better than nothing. Here are a few pics of the GP38-2W:
View attachment 129709
View attachment 129710
View attachment 129711
That is the oldest engine I've seen come into town, since I've started taking rail photos.

Of course, I took some photos of the cars, as well:
View attachment 129712
View attachment 129713
View attachment 129714
All of those photos were taken facing south, which accounts for the poorer quality. Unfortunately, the fence on the other side is too close to allow a proper photo of the train from that location. I've tried that before, and it dosen't work.

I did look on RR.net, and there are photos of this GP38 train on that site. So, this must be a specific set-up that CN is keeping together for track evaluation purposes. It is nice to see, and I find it interesting.
I'm going to watch for the train and see if I can get more, better photos. It is nice to have about a dozen pics in the files, though, for the historical record.
Yesterday, I saved all of my photos to a flash drive, just incase this PC blows up. That's happened to me before, and it drives me nuts to lose photos.

Time to be on my way. Thanks for the coffee!
Interesting. A rechargeable railcar.

Good Morning!
Nice and comfortably cool at 52f this foggy morning. That'll change, though, as we head into the mid-eighties come afternoon.
I'm building a bird-feeder in the work shed. So I'd better get working on it this morning, before the heat hit's that uninsulated building. I'm not the type to deal with heat.

Troy - Happy Birthday, if you celebrate! Personally, I don't, and prefer to think of it as 'how the 'ell'' day. How the 'ell' did I make it this far; how the 'ell' am I still standing; how the 'ell' am I still breathing. I think of the anniversary in the same context.

I need to walk the dog soon, so I'll just put a couple more photos on the table and then I have to go. These are more of the same as yesterday.
Another photo of the ex-passenger car turned crew condo. There are photos on rr.net that show the interior of this home away from home, and it does look like it is high in comfort. All the amenities are in there:
CN 1057_07-05-2021.jpg

And here is one more photo of the old boxcar that's been totally renovated and transformed into the working lab of the track evaluation train.
CN 414852_07-05-2021 (1).jpg

This is what that boxcar looked like in 2012. Photo by Luc Sabourin:
CN 414852_Luc Sabourin_2012.jpg

Well friends, I gotta go! Thanks for all the likes on these simple posts!
Have a good one!

Morning from the WEST! It is 61 F and we are looking at 92 later on under clear, intense Sun with breezy winds. It has been that way for several days and does not show any change for the next several days.

After my last post - I was sitting here about 5 PM thinking - Wait a second - there are a half dozen Kaiser medical centers all within an hours drive - on the internet and quickly found that the one just north of me same distance as the one I went to that was closed was open until 9PM - so' feed the pups, and get on the road there quickly. I walked in the door shortly after 6 PM and by 6:15 I was in the DR's exam room. Young Female doctor scolded me for NOT coming sooner! I told her that I had learned a very good lesson as it had been drilled home from my wife too - she replied: You should always listen to your wife - all I could say was - YES MAM.
Well, I was given a dose of (pretty sure it was penicillin) in a syringe that was meant for a horse in my backside - nurse said that it was too large to be given elsewhere, so drop your drawers! Then I proceeded to visit the pharmacy and walked out with a jar of the biggest pills I have ever encountered. The DR's orders were to come back in two days if no improvement.
Fast forward to now: The Sun just exploded in the window benind me - so the redness is all gone - there is still some swelling, but function is returning, I can again close my fist .. just not hard.

A valuable lesson learned - you can teach an old dog new tricks! A hearty shoutout and 'Thank You" for all me internet friends here with each and every tale and advise of animal bites. You are all in my data bank!
Speaking of Data Banks - my favorite PA announcement on the STL - HNL flights was, " Lades and Gentlemen - we have a very experienced crew in the cockpit today with over 95 years of flying experience -- We just have a hard time remembering very much of it!"

This one must be a boy tomato.
WILLIE - I thought my secret was safe with you!

Music listening area where the train layout is, was because Wife's TV watching area is directly above that. I'm hard of hearing, she's not. Do the math and you'll see who I expected to be getting yelled at to turn the music down all the time.
TROY - I wish I had a dollar for every time I have been yelled at!

You really should get the bite checked out. You could wind up craving Milk Bones, trying to scratch your ear with your foot or trying to lick your .......
HUGHIE -- Tried that when I was much younger; couldn't do it then either?

I hope you've gotten the much-needed treatment for that infected hand!
IBKEN - YES, YES - thank you very much!

I got a surprise visit from the mayor yesterday and a bonus!
PATRICK - congrats on the bonus - sure hope that you are able to squirrel a little for yourself?

Happy Birthday, Troy!
TROY - Mee TOO!

I keep thinking, desalination for California. In the middle of a great sleep last night I woke out of a dream about desalination. They do have a $75 billion dollar state surplus. Sure would solve some issues and allow the Colorado River to regenerate. Yeah, I can solve the world issues if I could sleep more.
TomO - Have been thinking that for years - Nucellar Power to desalt, It's ridiculous that everyone is so afraid of it?

OK, Folks - thanks for your ear! BBL

Greetings all!

Sherrel: Very glad you got seen and you deserved a major shot in the ass. I had a young fem doc last summer who had to stitch up a thumb after a particularly stupid event which need not be related. Her attitude changed a bit when I told her wifeykins was a surgical nurse. Seems surgery nurses have a reputation.

Got some serious work done last night: Exhibits A and B follow

20210707_084758.jpg

20210707_084901.jpg

TT works nice, and got two addl service tracks laid. Over to the left in the pic, you can also see the sheet roadbed I glued down for the yard. Making progress!

Deliciously cool this am at 55F when I took the dogs out after the nightly repose. Much more like Minnesota.

Cheers and blessing to all - - - - - - - - - Steve J

Morning fellers. I hope everyone is well. Halfway through a short work week for me. I had monday off which i spent half of driving back from Virginia. Didnt get to do any railroading over the long weekend. I did however acquire another GP9. Its a total basket case! Started on it last night. Replaced axle gears. Well i replaced axle assemblies is more like it. Still has an audible click to it. So ill have to rear down the truck to investigate. Its a coffee grinder for sure. However $50 when most are $100+ for a P2K aint too shabby so i cant complain. Put the elbow grease in it and itll run like the rest. My daughter wanted to join me last night for a short operating session. She has grown to love my copper case cab control 55. Have no idea as to why she does. I wont argue it as it is a decent throttle. Taught her how to safely connect it and turned her loose with my workhorse GP35. She had a blast with it. Well thats about it for me at the moment. I hope everyone has a good day and ill stop back by again when i get chance.

MILW-Steve-- Thanks for your comments. You are really making progress. I was going to comment, then forgot, about your build! Lay the track - predrill where you need too - then install the electronics when you get around to it.

JUSTIN -- I truly love the fact that your daughter loves to run the trains. That's fantastic.

BORIS -- Very nice photo this morning. What does the "D" in RSD stand for?
It appears that you and I have some of the same breathing issues? I hate aging!

Good Morning All. Clear and 73°, it may possibly hit 91° today as we are still under the cooling influence of Mother Nature. This current weather pattern is absolutely amazing me, we've been 10° below average for nearly two weeks now.
Dermatologist visit was uneventful yesterday; the cancerous spot that he removed in January has not returned and there is no scar left either. None more were found. He still sprayed that liquid nitrogen here and there for good measure, but I believe that he gets extra $$$ from Medicare for doing that.
Later, Murphy paid a visit while I was mowing. A mounting bracket for the mower deck broke! It doesn't appear that it can be welded back, so a journey through the Internet was in order. I need an entire mower deck/blade housing. All that I got were statements that manufacturer didn't make them any more, everyone was out of stock and there were no substitutes. I talked to a tech from Sears Parts Direct that said the same thing. After prodding him with a part # from Husqvama that seemed to look the same (Husqvama made most parts for Sears tractors), he checked with a more senior tech. The senior guy stated that it was an identical match, but it was red instead of gray; thus all of the confusion. I'm not particular as I am after functionality not looks and I found the same part over on Amazon for $70 less, although at $520 it isn't cheap. It also had a one week ship time as compared to Sears at two weeks.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's post; Guy, Troy, Tom O, Gary, Patrick, Karl, Hughie, Garry, Rick, Tom, Ken, Sherrel, Justin.

It's late this morning Flo, how about a BLT with double bacon and a tall glass of OJ.

I didn't get much time in the train shed yesterday, I did manage to mow for 45 minutes before I spent an hour looking for the mower deck. Then it was a couple of cold brews in the pool for an extra long session. I did do some ground cover and detail painting, but he glue/water was still glistening so I didn't take any pictures.
In memory of getting a haircut the other day, here's a couple of pictures of the barber shop in Maultown, a Walther's kit that was a different kit name 20 years ago when I got my first one.
IMG_6780.JPG

IMG_6782.JPG

I believe that this was a Magnuson kit before Walther's acquired them.

Tom O - By your definition, I haven't pulled an all-nighter in over 15 years. Desalination for California and other parts of the world is an idea that I have thought of before. There are countries in the Middle East that rely heavily on it, Saudia Arabia, Kuwait, UAE and others.
Steve J - Best wishes for your SIL.
Guy - That GP38 has certainly seen better days.
Troy -
I'm hard of hearing
While expensive, hearing aids are the best investment that I made in the last seven years. I just wish now that I wasn't so vain and had gotten them earlier around age 50! :(
Hughie - The lower level of the layout is 36", while the upper is 55". The 16" difference is from lower level to the bottom of the fascia. Your electrical issues remind me of my brother's interaction with the power company. About 15 years ago, he wanted to upgrade his incoming service from 50 amps that was installed in the 1950's, to 200 amps as he had installed a pool and wanted a high-grade filtering system. In Dallas, there's an alley behind every street for services, garbage, electrical, natural gas. He also wanted to bury the line through his yard which he would do himself before they came to install the new incoming line. They told him that he would also have to pay for a new pole on his side of the alley since there wasn't enough room to burrow under the alley. So he opted for just a replacement of the existing overhead service. The power company put in a new pole on his side anyway which he didn't have to pay for. Too late for the underground service though!
Karl - My wife is reluctantly supportive of my hobby for the same (and additional) reasons as yours. Otherwise I wouldn't have a train shed in the yard.
Troy - HAPPY BIRTHDAY>
I don't know about your area, but my Outback location has a "die for" 16 oz prime rib (medium rare of course), that's always good for lunch the next day as well.
Birthday's today include the host of the only TV show that I watch, Stuart Varney on Fox Business. Doc Severinsen as well.
Patrick - Congratulations on the visit and the bonus. Sounds like he's out buying votes! ;)
Sherrel - Glad that you took the advice of many visitors here and went to the clinic.
Steve J - Nice progress update.

Wow! A lot of responses here today! Took much longer than I thought, but I love you all always. Everybody have a great day.

A number of years ago my wife suggested I put up some train stuff in the basement that the kids could play with. It now fills the basement. I am a lucky man to have her as a wife. She has painted a backdrop and is willing to do more. And yes the grandkids love playing with Papa's trains.

Mike

Good Morning all! Rain.
The electrical work has been postponed due to RAIN. Now it's probably going to be Monday.

Sherrell - Now aren't you glad you did!
Patrick - Congratulations. Is it "mad money"?
Troy - Birthday wishes
Karl, Willie - I think my wife agrees with your wives. It keeps me off the streets.

I have started on the chemical plant. A nod to Union Carbide my employer for 25 years.
AR Plant-1.jpg

STAY SAFE

LATER

Troy -
While expensive, hearing aids are the best investment that I made in the last seven years. I just wish now that I wasn't so vain and had gotten them earlier around age 50! :(

Costco has the best prices on hearing aids. Been wearing them for most of a decade. BUT every decibel I've lost, my wife has gained. If I fart in the basement, the wife yells that I better not blame it on the cat. ;)

Had the current pair about 5 years, so it's time for a new test. And new aids. But that has to wait until next year to fit in all the pre-tax medical dollars.

Good Afternoon Everyone out there in Railroad Land. Still waiting for the forecasted rain to arrive that was due yesterday. Some rain is forecasted for later today, but we'll see what happens.

Lots of interesting posts since the beginning of July that I first read today. Seems like summer is almost over for 2021!!!

Great Patrick that you got a bonus from the Major for working on a Holiday. I spent most of my Thanksgivings working (usually for free) at the office and only the Public Safety Officers came to see me or to wish me a Happy Thanksgiving while they left for home and a warm dinner. Thanksgiving Day was the day I had to reprogram a computer system that controlled the Project's lighting program.

Sherrel: I know of girl in grade school whose dog bit off one of her ears. A friendly mutt but she must of did something to get the dog upset enough to attack her.

SIL is going to the NBA game tomorrow night. Living in Mesa, AZ and born in Wauwatosa, WI she can cheer for either team to win.

TomO - Have been thinking that for years - Nuclear Power to desalt, It's ridiculous that everyone is so afraid of it?

TomO: I friend of mine developed some land along the ocean in Central America and his source of water, other than bottle water was from a desalination plant that he constructed.

Nothing else new, so see you later.

Greg

Troy, happy birthday.
If you are looking for hearing aides, Terry’s are also Blue tooth so her phone is also through the hearing aides. Lots of choices out there now.

Willie, I see the BigBoy 4014 will be stopping for 45 minutes in Denton, Texas on Friday the 13th of August. If you want to see one bigggg machine on wheels this is the one. Terry came with me in 2019 when it stopped for 45 minutes in Friesland Wisconsin. It definitely is a sight to see!

Greg, it must be too easy a solution for the powers that be. SAD!

Patrick, pleasant surprise and great for you. My non-solicited advise is to either save it all or 30% spent on the wife and 70% on You.
Congrats.

Rain, we got rain this afternoon. Over 1” in good steady rain events but no downpours. Weather guy on TV said on and off till midnight with hopefully another 1”. Greg, TV guy said Wautoma and Wild Rose had some big rainfall totals. MikeinHubcity, looks you might have gotten some too but I can’t find any totals.

the wife, off to Phoenix with her best friend staying at my brothers place. Terry, her friend, my sister and the brother’s girl friend are going to Thursday night Bucks/Suns final NBA playoffs. Tickets free from Terry’s friend’s brother-in-law who couldn’t go.

the grandson, we we’re at the hockey rink in time for his 1pm session. All goalies on the ice, with youngest being 10 years old. Brooks is 7. Seems his mom missed the time change. As we were walking out one of the coaches said he can go out and shot on the goalies. Boy did that excite him, he had a great time.

be safe
TomO

AF43CA84-91C9-4B9E-8C30-A1C36EF0C180.jpeg

Howdy .

Troy .... Happy birthday.

Patrick .... Congratulations about the bonus.

Joe ..... I like the picture of the RSD-4.

Guy .... Interesting CN equipment.

Willie .... The barber shop looks great. Customers look well groomed.

Steve .... Nice turntable and CP switcher.

Tom O ... Great looking scenery.

Everybody ..... Have a good evening.

MILW-Steve-- Thanks for your comments. You are really making progress. I was going to comment, then forgot, about your build! Lay the track - predrill where you need too - then install the electronics when you get around to it.

JUSTIN -- I truly love the fact that your daughter loves to run the trains. That's fantastic.

BORIS -- Very nice photo this morning. What does the "D" in RSD stand for?
It appears that you and I have some of the same breathing issues? I hate aging!
RSD4 was a railfan/railroad nickname, they were officially DL360 locomotives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back