Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Spent the day testing trackwork on the mainline and 2 interchange tracks with my diesel inventory. I ran all the locos (or consists) for 3 laps going forward then 3 laps in reverse for a total of 6 laps on both the mainline and interchange tracks. The only issues were caused by me and improper T/O alignment. o_O Tomorrow the plan is to do my steamers.

The locos I tested were:

Athearn Genesis F3 ABA, FP7 ABA, GP7 AA
Bachmann BF16 AA, 44 Tonner
BLI NW2
Atlas (black box) RS1
Walthers H10-44
Athearn F7

Thank you for the likes yesterday on my pictures.

Terry- Layout looks great. Can you post different views?

Toot- Neat looking something or other loco.

Karl- Nice pictures.

Jerry- Nice loads. I like the hobo (?) sitting on the crate.

Willie- Nice museum photos.

Guy- Don't send them here. The license plates have started to change here already.:D

CM-Fan- Welcome.

20201109_103408.jpg

20201109_110523.jpg

20201109_112708.jpg

20201109_124827.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I *almost* sent in my resume for MRR's latest job opening for a copy editor, but, Wife would have a hissy if I said we were moving north after we just moved back near the relatives. Best to keep her happy.
I've always been leery of getting in a situation where I had to depend on a model railroad-related occupation to pay my bills, my enthusiasm for the hobby would dry up fast. I learned this after doing a few articles during the 2000's (one for the now-defunct Model RailroadING, another for Model Railroad Hobbyist)...way too much effort for 5 minutes of fame and a couple hundred bucks!

Good evening y'all. The weather today was beautiful...too nice to last. TV Weather dudes have got to find something to whine about, today it was "air quality". don't know,I saw Big Blue sky with no clouds anywhere. I got my Senior Flue Shot, over at Stop and shop this afternoon when I went over to pick up a prescription. Speaking of immunizations, news today was encouraging, concerning the Covid Vaccine.

Spent some time working on the layout...I am making progress. Trying to catch up on recent posts.

Work bench.jpg

This is my work bench...this is why I cannot get anything done..no room to work...Boxes are either unfinished kits or cars / engines in need of repair.
PN 8 coming over B&O lift Bridge from SI 11-6-2020.jpg

Professional Quality photo, of Conrail Crew PN-8 (Port Newark), coming across the B&O Lift Bridge over the Arthur Kill, which divides Staten Island, and Jersey. November 6, 2020.

I've always been leery of getting in a situation where I had to depend on a model railroad-related occupation to pay my bills, my enthusiasm for the hobby would dry up fast. I learned this after doing a few articles during the 2000's (one for the now-defunct Model RailroadING, another for Model Railroad Hobbyist)...way too much effort for 5 minutes of fame and a couple hundred bucks!
IBKen- That would be akin to a mechanic driving a hoopty(beater car) or carpenter living in a fixer upper.

I've hit the first milestone on the O'Neill's build. The main building is together. I have to install a view block, and the roof comes later due to the way the kit is built, but it's nice to have something that looks like a structure!
Main Building 2.JPG

Main Building 3.JPG

Main Building 1.JPG

I noticed some slight gapping, probably due to one of the walls warping slightly while the kit was in storage, so I grabbed some clamps to pull everything tight, and checked it with an L shaped ruler.

Main Building 4.JPG

Welp... better get a double-shot espresso this morning.

Super-toilet blew a seal last night. Went to use it last night and discovered wet shorts when I stood.... Hmmmm.... yep sock is damp too. So's the bath rug, and the floor to the side of super-toilet.

Well, crap!

No ceiling damage down below. The light isn't dripping water. Evidently, I sealed around the toilet flange adequately. But the water is seeping out between the pedestal and the tile. I wonder if a Massive Flush might have jammed it up to force a channel of escape through the wax seal?

The toilet really doesn't rock. I used the thicker wax ring.

Off to the hardware this morning...

In other news, I worked on the layout last evening. I decided that if I'm putting a castle atop mount Raven, the vampire killers need a way to get up there. So I added a narrow mountain road up out of the valley. Glued some cast off foam cuts from making curved edges on other pieces of foam. They were a good scale compared to a WS N scale auto I have on hand.

Hot glued them into place, then filled in under, and added a layer of sculptamold to the top. I also used more hunks of foam to widen mount Raven to the aisle side. I've got a fishing/camping/climbing scene I want to put in there. Here's a pic of the new road.

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 6.27.46 AM.png

No ceiling damage down below. The light isn't dripping water. Evidently, I sealed around the toilet flange adequately. But the water is seeping out between the pedestal and the tile. I wonder if a Massive Flush might have jammed it up to force a channel of escape through the wax seal?

It sounds like wax seal was compromised , you have to put the toilet straight in , with out rocking it. Those wax seals are pretty much a one shot deal , if you don't get it right you have to reshape the seal and try again.

It also sounds like you have a partially blocked line or maybe a vent that's plugged.

I don't think the seal would have blown out just from the water backing up , if they did that bathrooms all across America would be ankle deep and no one would want to live down stairs.

I don't think the seal would have blown out just from the water backing up , if they did that bathrooms all across America would be ankle deep and no one would want to live down stairs.

the more I look at the situation, the more I suspect a gap between the pedestal and the floor tile at the rear. Not much of a gap, but it's there. Probably rocked just enough, and had a flush with too much material that the was ring was compromised just enough.

At least I have an excuse to stop at the donut place on the way to the hardware store.

The toilet troubles reminds me of when I was in college ,

Living upstairs my roommate and I decided to go get something to eat , on the way we stopped at the upstairs communal "can" where we found two of our floormates pouring soap down the drain and flushing massive quantities of toilet paper down the can. We decided that maybe we should use the downstairs can. After he had just got comfortable in the stall , I heard a scream and G&* M&^%$#F&(()%ng dam ....My roommate was standing in the middle of the bathroom ,pants down ..hollering .."Sum thin just touched me on my a$$" . Looking in the stall, the toilet had a head of foam rolling off of it like a beer mug under a stuck tap.

Needless to say we clinched our buttocks and headed for the exit.

He never did fully recover from the incident.

Morning! - Required a coffee at 4:30am this morning, so I suppose that's my new addiction since I quit smoking-n-drinking years ago. Looked out the window and seen there was new snow on the ground; the thermometer sitting on 31°F.

Troy - Bad luck on the toilet seal. - Years ago I started my working career as an apprentice plumber working for a maintenance company. I snaked so many mainlines and lifted so many toilets, that I thought that's what plumbing was. I saw things no man should ever see! So I gave it up, and did something else. - Hope it repairs go well for you.

Boris - That Glucksman photo is purely beautiful; a wonderful scene. - The cluttered workbench seems like an easy fix!

Alan - Nice work on the O'Neil's structure; very nice! - Those are the finest, most expensive looking wood-working clamps I've ever seen. You must be a true craftsman.

Willie - Thank you for more museum photos. I don't quite understand the 'pie-plate' turntable in the 3rd and 4th photos. Is that a working, concrete-look turntable?

Thanks everyone, for the likes and comments on yesterday's post.

I very briefly strolled into the local CN staging area yesterday. While driving by, I noticed there was a flat-car pipe train parked in there, so I wanted to snap a few photos. I'm not sure where the pipeline is being built, but I don't think this is for the 'Keystone'.
I wanted these photos to archive a flat-car load:
Flat_CN 668161_11-09-2020.jpg

FlatLoads_11-09-2020.jpg

I'm not sure what that white tie-down material is, but, it looked like a plastic.

6:00am! Time to get on with the day! First thing is to get dressed and outside to clear the walkways of the new snow. Have a good one!

I very briefly strolled into the local CN staging area yesterday. While driving by, I noticed there was a flat-car pipe train parked in there, so I wanted to snap a few photos. I'm not sure where the pipeline is being built, but I don't think this is for the 'Keystone'.

That looks like the same pipe used on the Permian Highway Line , but I think its complete or is near completion. Its through Hays anyway. More likely its on the Transmountain Line . Edmonton - Burnaby . Both are owned by Kinder Morgan . The PHL is 42" Dia.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 64°. Looks like Mother Nature has backed up the arrival of the cool front here and the chance for rain Saturday has been reduced to 50%.
Had a pleasant visit last evening with my daughter and two grandsons, who came up to retrieve the granddog that we have been minding for the last week while they were in Austin.
Bummer of a day yesterday, my month old computer failed, or rather the Win10 failed. The computer was on "sleep" and refused to wake up. I rebooted and Windows would not load at all. Went through all of the diagnostics for HP computers and all came back as good. Spoke with an HP tech and we tried out some stuff without success. He mostly led me through many of the things that I had already tried. There was no Windows recovery disc with this machine. I am stalled right now. Used the wife's laptop to access a Win10 download to continue, but I didn't have an 8GB flash drive available to download it, just a 2 GB. I need to get the 8GB one today and call tech support back to continue. I am assuming that they will give me the Win10 "key" when the download is completed. Thankfully they gave me a case number and a direct tech line so I don't have to waste another 15 minutes with the automated answering service and giving all of the info to them. I am using the old Win7 machine right now. Thankfully I did not delete any of my old files from the backup drive so if I have to reload everything, it's still almost up to date. Even my grandson and my daughter who has a computer science degree, were unable to help.

I am ready for some excitement for breakfast this morning Francine. How about a couple of spicy bean, sausage and cheese burritos with a bowl of spicy salsa to go with them. I want the real thing, not those dainty breakfast burritos.

Thanks for all of the likes on yesterday's museum pictures; Guy, Sherrel, Troy, Dave, Patrick, James, Hughie, Phil, Curt, Walt, Tom, Tom O, Ken, Jerry, Karl. I assume that y'all are reacting to the pictures and not my prose.

Didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed yesterday, as I was spewing colorful language at the computer all damn day. By the time I got out there, all I had time for was to run trains again. Imbibing in a couple of cold brews kept me from doing any modeling since I don't want to do any of it over.
Let's go to the archives to see what I was doing on July 4, 2018. Looks like I just finished up a laser-cut barn. I don't remember right now who manufactured this structure, but it is a one-off purchase for me. I know that I have no other kits from them.
07-04-18 001.JPG

07-04-18 002.JPG

07-04-18 003.JPG

07-04-18 006.JPG

The interior which also includes an unseen office/tack room are my own creations.

Tom -
Gave up on MRM years ago. Always revisiting the same layouts just because a piece of track was changed or a tree added. Always showing layouts that are in the transition era never anything modern, yet when anything modern comes out from the manufactures that is 80's (Chessie for example) to today it sells out fast. I'm sure there are layouts out there private or club that can be shown. They want to get youth into the hobby or buy there magazine they need to mix things up.
Rant over.
December's issue is a good example of what you describe. TWO articles on their own home layout, MR&T.
Guy - Nice prototype photos yesterday. The thing that caught my eye was the graffiti on the tanker. Around here they usually don't get tagged. Normal loading and unloading facilities are always fenced., as are rail yards.
Sherrel - The desk seems like a neat project.
Walt - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. Don't worry about posting old layout photos, we all do it at times. They're just as interesting as newer ones. Heck, you already got 14 likes on the one from yesterday. We don't get too many narrow gauge pictures in here, but everyone loves them.
GT - I never realized that the school tax ceiling was once age 59. I may have missed out on a few years.
Ken - I used to really like the old Model Railroading magazine. Hated to see it go. Randy Lee was just not as good a businessman as he was a hobbyist. I always liked the Jim and Margaret Mansfield articles as well.
Joe - Ah yes! A workbench with more on it than mine!;)
Alan - The structure is really coming along superbly.
Troy - I maddeningly replaced a wax seal twice in one bathroom, before I finally realized that it was actually the seal between the tank and base that was allowing water to run down the back of the bowl and puddle on the floor.:mad: My wife even had a professional plumber replace it to no avail before I finally noticed the problem.
I like your mountain top road.

Happy 245th Birthday today to the US Marine Corps.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back