Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could interchange the Mike and pacific boilers Sherrel, as long as you swapped the steam chest too.
View attachment 45907
Here's a mantua Pacific boiler on a Mikado chassis, to make a "light" Mike
Lionel has just announced a "USRA" light Mikado, based on the Mantua designs. They are using the Pacific boiler on the Mike chasis, with the long haul tender with three-axle trucks. They have modernized the drive, with a gearbox, can motor, sound and DC/DCC decoder, plus a Bluetooth capability, as well. As they say, not overly detailed, but a nice, new, basic re-creation of a Mantua. (I've kitbashed a number of these, as well. The heavy, straight-top boiler on the original Mantua Mikados were criticized as being "unprototypical" by those who never saw Burlington O-2/O-3's or Wabash Mikes, as well as other roads' heavy 2-8-2's. What I'd really like to see would be them do a ten-coupled 2-10-2 or 2-10-4, which I have done, with the center drivers all blind, that will handle 18" radius curves.

I have been fairly distracted for the last couple of weeks with a 97% blockage of my urinary tract. I got an appointment with my primary care doctor and took 4 different drugs to clear it up.
On Monday with no improvement, I called and left a message that she needed to call a urologist for an immediate visit. Left her a note at her office on Tuesday morning. Finally on Thursday, I called the urology group I visited 10 years ago and explained my situation and got a 1:30 appointment. I arrived 20 minutes early for paperwork, but they found my old file. One of 18 doctors in the office working with one nurse. Long story short, they found a 3/8" x 1/8"stone in my bladder blocking the duct entrance. The doctor removed it with a very small "grabber" device. Once again, I can write my name in the snow... if we had any snow.
Feels good to be able to concentrate on my modeling.

I made a run to Truckee this morning and stopped at a good train watching spot where CA20 meets I-80 on Donner Pass This is all I got.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    364.5 KB · Views: 136
Thanks Terry I'll start turning my phone 90* from now on
Once upon a time, I had a new text phone. It was just before smart phones came on the scene. It had a touch screen that you could use to type your text messages. It also suffered from a pretty severe glitch, in that if it was in my pocket, it would sense the touches of anything touching it, interpret those touches as keypad entries, auto-correct those into words, and send out strings of words as text message to random people in my address book.
There were some epic fails in those texts, to the point I dubbed it my "smartass phone".

Well I was able to shoot my stones today.....what a relief. Saved them for my next game of shooting/pitching marbles 😜

In honor of my growing old pains....my grand finale tunes (after listening to the Rolling Stones during my shooting pains....)

Nite ya'll.

I have been fairly distracted for the last couple of weeks with a 97% blockage of my urinary tract. I got an appointment with my primary care doctor and took 4 different drugs to clear it up.
On Monday with no improvement, I called and left a message that she needed to call a urologist for an immediate visit. Left her a note at her office on Tuesday morning. Finally on Thursday, I called the urology group I visited 10 years ago and explained my situation and got a 1:30 appointment. I arrived 20 minutes early for paperwork, but they found my old file. One of 18 doctors in the office working with one nurse. Long story short, they found a 3/8" x 1/8"stone in my bladder blocking the duct entrance. The doctor removed it with a very small "grabber" device. Once again, I can write my name in the snow... if we had any snow.
Feels good to be able to concentrate on my modeling.
Mikey, that is a terrible ordeal, but thank God for the good ending.

I'm very happy for you.

Good morning Everybody!

Working yesterday was therapeutic, fun, and interesting to say the least! Many people were out and about, never saw so many joggers. Parents must be at their wits end. Many kids were outside, some did not appear to be happy about it. When making deliveries I was greeted by dogs of all shapes and sizes. I always enjoy seeing and visiting with dogs.

Driving home things got a little hairy. I got onto I95 south at MD152. After driving a few miles in light to moderate traffic a Mercedes sports car blew past me so fast it seemed like a blur as it weaved in and out of several lanes. All I could make out was it was the Mercedes emblem and it was white. It passed me so close that the wake from it going by shook my little empty cargo van for a few seconds. I have never felt anything like it. The speed limit was 65 and I was traveling about 75. The little Mercedes went by me like I was sitting still. A few seconds later the Mercedes was followed by 3 Corvettes and a Mustang all traveling at a high rate of speed, also weaving in and out of traffic. A few seconds after that came a few "rice burners", "kamikazes" on two wheels and followed by several other little cars trying to keep pace. Even a FedEx step van got caught up in the "race". I thought the whole lot of them were crazy. There was too much traffic for that kind of driving. A few miles after the "race" passed me, I passed a State Trooper parked in the median. I was surprised he was still sitting there. I continued on thinking I would see somebody on the side of the road with the police, but nope, no police or thankfully any accidents. I got off 95 a mile north of the Fort McHenry toll plaza.

I feel good this morning, I had a good nights sleep and I'm looking forward to the day, thank God.

Have a great day Everybody!

One of Western Maryland's trusty 2-8-0's, #760 (H-7b), is between assignments at Bowest Junction, Pennsylvania on June 21, 1953. This Consolidation was part of a batch outshopped by Alco's Richmond Works in 1912 but thanks to WM's meticulous maintenance and improvement program by this date #760 featured modern perks like a mechanical stoker, power reverse gear, compound air pumps, force-feed lubricator, and valve pilot. Gordon Lloyd photo.
1587896459209.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back