Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, y'all. Happy Saturday. There was an unusually high volume of MV traffic leaving the neighborhood around 0730 this morning. I guess, carry out breakfast, grocery runs or just plain tired of staying home. The virus totals keep rising, except for our town, which had a zero increase of reported cases Thursday to Friday. That may be hopeful.:rolleyes:

Willie: The photos of your environment are so welcoming vs. our crowded conditions around here. Enjoy the quiet.

I did not spend any time in the train room, yesterday. really didn't do a whole lot of anything. come to think of it. Perhaps today will be different.

have a great day!

Canton RR S. Newkirk St, Baltimore 2018.jpg

Canton RR, 2018

Good morning, everybody ....... Coffee and a can roll, please.

Curt .... The structure you are making looks good.

B Bob ..... If I had a choice being building a model or watching videos, I would build the model. My 2 cents.

Willie ....... I'm not a fan of graffiti of railroad equipment.

Chet .... I defiantly like your photos. I especially like the Sinclair service station.

Sherrel ..... You asked what happened. Opinions were expressed about hot button issues. I was reminded of Jeff Running Bear's advice: "Don't say anything that will piss off somebody." ( I paraphrased) However, there are people who will spout off on hot button topics even though they know it will piss off those who do not agree. Not good. .... Anyhow, Karl read enough posts on poly ticks to get pissed off. I hope he does not stay away, but his final comment suggested he will. .... Bob deleted offending posts, thankfully.

Joe ... Your photo of short line locomotives is interesting.

36382465790_40d34b1fa2_b.jpg

Good morning Everybody!

Not the best day yesterday, and even less of a good night, last night, but I've righted the ship, thank God.

I'm going to work soon, if all goes well I feel even better when I'm done. 99 times out of 100 I feel better after working.

Have a great day Everybody!

Sherril-What's more normal than playing with trains?!:p

Garry-Right now, in order to work on any train stuff, I have to commandeer the dining room table. In a perfect world that would be perfectly acceptable. My wife says my world isn't perfect. Go figure!

Dave-Looks like The Duke!

Willie-Liked the tour of the Kingdom! Nice country there!

Garry-Right now, in order to work on any train stuff, I have to commandeer the dining room table. In a perfect world that would be perfectly acceptable. My wife says my world isn't perfect. Go figure!

OAN - We have this monster dining room table that can have two extensions for a total of 10 feet that now only gets used TWICE a year! OH, how I am tempted, but I would never hear the end of it!

Good afternoon. Was out of town yesterday with my son to pick up his new (used) Subaru Forrester. His old Forrester was a 2000 with 260 miles on it and was starting to need small repairs. The new one is a 2012 with 107,000 miles on it. The dealer had just done the water pump, timing belt and some other service items but he got a good price because it was a manual 6 speed transmission. We acted like we weren't interested in it because of the manual gearbox when that's exactly what he wanted. They originally wanted 11 K for it but after some negotiating and waving a fist full of $100 bills under their nose, we got it for $8,200. It was sitting on their lot for a while and the end of the month was coming up. I am happy for him as he did really need to replace the old one. He says that he also has a buyer ofor it so it's sitting in my shop.

Garry - Like the layout photos.

Willie - Yours are winners also. I used the Walthers Cannery for my potato shipping warehouse. Did a bit of kit bashing on it as it wouldn't fit as a cannery as a stock kit. Some loading docks were moved around as well as doors and a door was added in one end so a reefer car could be spotted inside the building as seen in the 3rd photo. The boiler house was used to spply steam to the roundhouse.

View attachment 47227
View attachment 47228
View attachment 47230
View attachment 47231

Guy - Nice locomotive photos.

Louis - Good photos especially the WM F unit.

Gotta cut it short. Have a phone call.

Later
Lets see, vehicle search: CMW, Oxford, Busch, lots of nice vehicles.

Good afternoon. It's raining and 59.
I am not surprised, but we are again having trouble with FedRex. Once again, they are saying we are not home, and refusing to deliver a package. Since Wednesday.

It's too bad some people don't realize that not everyone thinks like they do. Can you imagine, some people think something besides 1:87.0857 is a good scale for toy trains?

A quick update on the SDP40, I added the decoder and lights. I used the original Kato light pipe to the front so added an LED to the plastic platform I made to hold the DCC decoder and wiring. I also made a little bracket to hold an LED for the rear light and it will use fiber optics. This way there are no wires between the shell and frame. Here it is on my programming track.

290-425.jpg

After I took this photo, I painted the front light pipe with silver spray paint and afterwards it didn't transmit light. I think I have another one but I thought it strange painting the outside would render it useless. The decoder is a NCE D13SR, which has been my go to for the last 10 years or so. One of the two black wires sticking up will be for the beacon, the other is to the rear light. When I paint the trucks, I'll go through and make sure they are clean and have fresh lubrication, I don't know how old this locomotive is, I got it used 10 or 15 years ago.

A Joyous Good Morning to all...
This is a 72' flat car with a weird bulkhead at one end only. I don't know much about railcars, but, I think this was owned by CN, and was taken over by On-Track Railway for MoW cartage purposes. That's just guessing, so someone can certainly correct me if this car type is familiar.
One thing I notice, is that telescopic yellow bar on the end; I believe that can be set down to prevent the car from rolling away.
View attachment 47253

Guy
The yellow bar is the uncoupling lever. Lifting it raises the pin in the coupler and allows the knuckle to open. To keep it from rolling away, the wheel in the photo winds up a chain and pulls on the brake to apply them and keep the car in place.

Afternoon,

No workbench today. The grandkids came over and we did yard work. Unfortunately the ground was too soft to cut it from the rain yesterday. After that I replaced the door bell ringer. Out of the blue it started buzzing last night.

Someone mentioned that Karl may have left but I think he is joining The Modelers Forum which I am a member of also. It's the site that got me started with craftsman kits and scratch building. It's nice also that there are 4 members that I live within 30 minutes of and before the disease we would get together regularly.

Thank you for the likes on my continuing modeling efforts.

Chet- Great layout photos.

Mikey- I would never say that to another man! :D

Joe- Great picture. It's hard to tell if it's a model or real.

Guy- Interesting rail car.

Willie- Beautiful area. Great weathering.

Garry- Great picture.

Paul- Nice modeling. DCC loco installs is something that I don't do.

I hope that everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
This is a 72' flat car with a weird bulkhead at one end only. I don't know much about railcars, but, I think this was owned by CN, and was taken over by On-Track Railway for MoW cartage purposes. That's just guessing, so someone can certainly correct me if this car type is familiar.
I have seen many that had the half-high bulkhead before, except that there was one on both ends of the car. They were always in revenue service though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back