Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cow, that thing's a monster. I was slicing up my Easter Ham today for lunch and really wishing I had one of those things.

When I was growing up in Pittsburgh, there was a deli chain called Isaly's.
They were famous for three things.
1) "Skyscraper" ice cream cones, shaped more like a popsicle than a normal ice cream cone
2) Klondike Bars, now a national hit, but back in the early days, they were a regional thing only
3) Chipped chopped ham sliced paper thin and piled high.

The chipped ham was made on an industrial version of that machine, razor sharp and they'd cut the meat so thin it was translucent. It's what made it so tender. It also meant that it piled up higher, making it look like you were getting more, when much of what you were getting was air. I'm sure that wasn't accidental. But it was delicious and they were famous for it.

It was a big one and I was shocked how much it looked like after I sliced it! It looked like double!

It does make a nice thin slice, but it can't do it thin enough for chipped meats, but I'm still more than happy with it. It has a serrated blade, can't get it as sharp as a professional blade, but it's safer to handle.

Good morning Everybody!

I just want to say "I did not vote for our Governor, Larry Hogan and I'm not happy about a lot of this, but I support Governor Hogan 100% and I think he is handling this this as best as possible.

There are a lot of things I don't like, but you gotta do what you gotta do! I wish I could eat Bavarian creams every day, but I can't even have one. It's ok, better than being dead!

Time for me to go to the store, my Mom has a list and I have a face mask. Don't like the face mask, but it's not right to not wear one and add to other peoples stress.

Have a great day Everybody!

Got everything together to decal the COSF cars yesterday. The red stripes fell apart in the water. They weren't that old! Sprayed them with clear. No dice. Crap. Now I get to wait for those to get here. Maybe decals should be sold with an expiration date! :mad:

Morning all,

Time for a short stack of Mel's blueberry pancakes and coffee.

Spent 3 hours trying to dig and bust out a 4X4 broken fence post on Saturday. 20 minutes to take the fence apart, 3 hours to get the post out and 45 minutes to get the new post in, cut the stringers and rehang the cedar pickets. All the rest of the posts I'd replaced over the years, none were cut in the base like this one was. About 12" up they cut a 1/2" deep and created a wedge that got larger toward the bottom, think rocket engine nozzle. Out head building inspector never has seen anything like this either. Still cheaper to fix one at a time than having the whole fence redone at once.

Side note: I did get some train time yesterday. I got the leg in on the new section so I don't have the drop on the back corner. It's now level with the rest of the layout and I have started adding the power to the turnouts. I have 2 working at this time. They are the hardest to get to, so maybe the rest will be easier (then again probably not). I'm finding I didn't clean contacts enough and having to fix as I build and wire. Bought a nice 12" long 3/16th" drill bit to get the POTS wire through the train table. The 12" bit is overkill , but they didn't have the 6" bit and I had a coupon.....Hopefully get to some more this evening. I'll still have a few manual turnouts as I don't have enough powered engines for all the turnouts, so a couple in yard (closest to the control station) will remain manual until I get the electric units.

Good morning, y'all. Another cloudy day in Sequesterville.

Willie, Garry and Ray:
Great photos.

I also like the great model railroads some of y'all have, At the risk of excluding someone, Johnny, Garry, Chet and Willie have nice ones.

I finished re-engineering a Micro Engineering #6 crossover last night, and it's ready to install. First, I'm going to use my preferred clay mud color to cover the roadbed and ground. Sometimes, it's hard not to put the cart before the horse. Trying to be more careful this time. Hope the paint I use for the back drop is still good...considering what it may take to get some, if it isn't...

Yesterdays Corona Virus count for our town is 410, (+13). Still climbing but more slowly.

Conrail Coal Train from Benning at Bowie 4-7-1994.jpg

Another view of a Morgantown UMP train at Bowie, MD. Siding to the left is a distributor for New Jersey Steel, of Sayerville, NJ They get re-bar on those yellow short bulkhead flats.. Photo from 1994.

Good morning America, how are ya? It's 52° with a high of 67° predicted. Lot's of sunshine as well! I may mow today, if not today, the grass will still be there tomorrow. It's not bad, but I don't want to let it get out of hand.

My wife and I will be going on our walk before long, on nice days we like to get in two a day. That makes about 5 miles a day. Some days we don't walk at all, just depends on the weather. It all averages out!

Last time I checked, there were 4 cases of Captain Tripps (Stephen King, The Stand) in our county, with two recovered. Even rural America isn't safe from the scurge. Actually, the risk is greater because of the lesser quality and amount of health care facilities compared to urban areas. All the more reason to be safe and six feet away!

Good Morning, Everyone!
It might be 35F at the moment, but, the thermometer is heading up to an uncomfortably warm 60F today. Looks like I'll have to break out the short sleeves and short pants. Might have to get outside and do a first rake of the lawn, since the snow is melting so quickly; it's flooding in some of the lower areas. I'm safe from flooding, with my house up high and sitting on 90' of sand. As a matter of fact, my home is the highest house on the street, but, it never floods the higher reaches in town anyway. - We have three rivers meeting up in town; the Athabaska, the Mcleod, and the Sagimatawah. With the sudden spring melts, these rivers get quite high trying to deal with all of that water.

I haven't been posting for a couple of days; just didn't have much going on with isolation and laziness dominating the weekend. And I don't like posting, if I have no photos. I did do the odd thing, here and there. Since I received the KD couplers last week, I was able to prime the flatcar pair I'm working on. I'll try a get them painted this week.
FlatCar_04-2020.JPG

Toot - I like the Montana photos a lot; the buildings and landscape in the background, as well as the trains. I'm always scanning the background for interesting buildings and such, that are scratch-build candidates.

Garry - That is a beautiful layout you have. Wonderful photos; I do hope you keep posting such photos from as many angles as there are degrees on a circle.

James - I know that stupid people's incredibly selfish antics makes for interesting video, but, I believe they would get more views and likes if they showed these criminals getting beaten at the end of each video.

Willie - I feel sorry for you; to have those horrific, monstrous insects building nests in your layout. Wow!! No wonder open carry is legal in Texas.

Boris - Everyday, another great photo to enjoy. Well done!

On the home front, I've began preliminary actions to scratch-up a CN 3rd Class Depot, taking inspiration from this 1960ish photo, taken in my hometown:
3rdClass_Whitecourt 1965.jpg

Because the HO building is slightly taller than my 3" wide balsa stock, I have to make some wider board:
Build (1).JPG

When the edge glued planks are dry, I can begin cutting out wall sections.

This project will be built off of a ScaleModelPlans set I've purchased. I feel that downloading a set of printable plans is cheap, compared to drawing and scaling them yourself. I like it this way:
3rdClassPlan.JPG

My building will be stucco, instead of clapboard. Almost all the photos I find of 3rd class depots in my area are stucco.
Whitecourts depot is no longer standing, by the way; and I cannot find any oldtimers who remember it even being downtown. So, I'm glad I found that photo on the net. Don't know who took it, though.

Good Morning gang!
49° and cloudy, but heading to 60° later?

Beginning week 5 of of our isolation, our counties Corona score is 313 cases, 12 recovered and 27 deaths. Most of the deaths occurred at a single nursing home.:( The shop is still open, but business is awful slow and the senior techs and I have all taken leave until this thing blows over (we're all in the 58-62 age range).

Garry, Willie, great layout shots, keep em coming.

Toot, I sometimes wonder if MRL realizes that they have such a fan on the other side of the world!

Patrick, it sounds like you got quite the workout yesterday!

Alan, sorry to hear about the decal woes. Years ago I started keeping mine in plastic sheet protector sleeve, in a 3 ring binder, in a desk drawer below my workbench.. I've got decals that are 15-20 years old now, and still useable. If I suspect cracking, Testors make a clear decal bonder spray that may save the day for you.

Boris, keep the pics coming. I used to railfan the NEC when I was married to the 1st wife. her grandparents lived along the Bush river so after a very filling Sunday dinner, me and my FIL would take a walk down to the foot of the Bush river bridge and railfan. Grandpa also had a speedboat and we would waterski on the river. Once waterskiing, the ex drove the boat through the bridge piers with me on skis. (instead of through the draw span, where you're supposed to go!) Yes, I made it, and I told her if she EVER did that to me again, we were done! In hindsight, I should have been done then.
Bush River Bridge.jpg

Anyhoo, back to the projects for today, brass GP15 paint, Whitcomb 65 tonner paint, rewire and decoder install, and Snowman's rig needs some detailing and decals on the truck.
So far....
20200420_002509.jpg

Thats it for now, catch ya on the flip side !

Good Morning. Same shit, different day. My son brought his Dodge Durango over yesterday afternoon because his wife, who drives it noticed a small puddle of coolant under the car. I have the pump to pressure test the cooling system and it ended up just being a loose hose clamp.

That was my exciting weekend.

Joe - It is as hard to figure out the way states make and enforce laws as it is to figure out women. We are hoping to start getting people back to work and dropping the quarantine by next week. Even though we are one of the hot spots in the state, we had only 122 virus cases in this county and one death. No one now in the hospital. Great photos as usual. Keep them coming.

Alan
- If you're getting a lot of brake dust on your wheels, you're using the brakes too much. icon_lol.gif My Buick still has it's original brake pads on after almost 70.000 miles although I will be replacing them when I change over from winter to summer tires.

Louis - Like your photos as usual.

Garry - Good point you made about the school administrators making bad decisions. Unfortunately here most of them are from California and they made a bunch of blunders. The only good thing I can say about California right now is that they can't raise your property taxes until a property is sold. Great photo of the coal mine area. Like the Empire Builder. A lot of detail work you've done also.

Sherrel - Good video. I happened to use Homabed for my entire layout. If I were to build another layout I would use it again.

homabed%201%20001[1].jpg

Willie - Interesting photos. These building must have been sitting around for quite a while. I do like your idea about taxing the newbies to the state at a higher rate. Funny about the water heater. Fixed itself?? Isure like the Rinnai Tankless we replace the old electric water hearer with. Cut the electric bill almost in half.

Bob - Never had an Islays store out here. We did have a local store, Bungalow Drugs which I will have on my layout that had one heck of a lunch counter and was still in business until a few years ago in Bozeman.

James - building your own base for the washer and dryer sure saved you a few bucks, looking good. We had thought aboiut replacing ours, but with the way they are now building appliances and the problems we have had with them, We'll be keeping our 30 year old Kenmore washer and dryer until they die. Only had to replace the heating element in the dryer twice in the 30 years we had them. We having the service man over this afternoon to fix the igniter for our 4 year old LG gas range which has has the igniter for the oven twice and the burner once.

Ray - Excellent photos of the train going top R-Y Limber. Know that area well and US-89 heading to Gardiner. I find the train heading down there a lot when I leave the club of Thursday afternoons. Here they are across from the depot last year.

thumbnail_20190801_130329.jpg

I may go down to the train room this afternoon or maybe just set in the recliner and watch YouTube videos.

I WILL be heading towards (not into) town to pick up lunch from my favorire burger joint than my buddy and I usually meet for lunch once a week. They do have pick up at the door and it is close enough that the meal will be hot when I get home.

Later

Tom, when we got the truck last week, I shopped online, called and made a tentative deal, then drove to see it. After a test drive, in which the salesman left the key in it and tag on it, we met outside, signed the papers, and left with the truck.

The severe weather yesterday stayed 45-50 miles south of me before moving eastward to LA, MS and AL. Hope that it missed you Mikey.
Willie- I am yawning severely this morning. We had three waves of storms on Sunday and the last wave came through about 3 AM this morning. Most of the wind damage was about 60 miles south of us. We got 3.5 inches of rain, but have sunny skies now.

Not getting much done train wise. I found the parts of a HO dump truck that came apart several years ago and have cemented it back together.
Also working on some parts and pieces of other vehicles.

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny, but cool here in Wisconsin.

Working on financial stuff this morning and the head down to the train room.

I have a small yard that is somewhat difficult to see all of the uncoupling magnets. I'm thinking abut using the trick that Chet told about at his Livingston Club where the helper lead locomotive had part of the front coupler removed so the locos could release without effort once the train reached the summit. My idea is to have a dedicated switcher that pushes the cars into the yard and then releases by backing up. I have to think this one out for a few days.

Blood tests tomorrow and the hospital is almost empty since there's no elective surgeries or visitors. Next week I have to go to the larger hospital in a Milwaukee suburb which will have few people as well.

The Mrs. is cleaning the garage, her decision, but not I'll never find anything.

Still do odds and ends in the tain room. Yesterday I looked for a couple of hours for two track cleaning cars and I found one that was in plain view.

Short and sweet.....

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back