Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Everyone.....over cast again today.

Loss my BIL last night. No funeral since our family is spread out and there can't be any travel plans made. I'll spend the day in the train room taking my mind off Bob's passing and think about all the good times we had the brief time we were together.

I guess I need to run some locomotives through the wheel cleaning process. Several loco's don't want to run as good as they should on DCC. I plan on taking each ore car off the layout and inspect each and everyone for proper truck swing, coupler side to side and centering actions and check how the wheels turn. I need the ore cars to run perfect since ore cars have minds of their own with the short wheel bases. I ran a 40 car ore train and the KATO six axle pulled it fine on the straight until it when rounded a curve and it blew the breaker on my 5 amp power supply.

I did run one of my favorite ALCO's which ran fine until the front coupler pocket cover and screw fell off. I did find both parts and re-secured them. The ALCO is a former Rock Island that's been weathered and patched for the C&MN. I cleaned the ALCO's wheels which looked clean, but the grime really came off when run over paper towels and alcohol.

Willie: Do you get a advertising dollars for the RIX ad from Hal's Hobbies for the sign in the store window?

Like most people we're inside until May 26th, or 39 days. The weather will be nicer so we be at the cabin during some of the stay inside period.

I have to get a video made of the ore cars or the coal unit train.

That's all for now.....

Greg

######################

View attachment 46704
Actual SW1500 patched for the SOO. I have a model of this loco running on the layout. Several years ago there was a old patched MILW switcher still working a yard in downtown Milwaukee.

Greg,

My condolences to you about your BIL.

Do you not use LocTite on your screws for the couplers? I do. It works well and leaves me not worrying about those situations.

I am curious, are your ore cars weighted per NMRA? I been thinking of doing all of my ore cars. Not all of them are currently weighted.

I think once I take up my temporary track and start laying actual tracks all my cars will meet NMRA standards as far as weight, couplers and metal wheels etc. before they go on the layout.

I have an unrelated to trains question. Sometimes our water pipes click/knock/tick about 3x/second. If you use the slightest bit of water it will stop but start again within a minute of turning off the water. It seems like near the regulator and valve in the garage but carries in the walls. Of course I've googled it but there it seems the noise is caused by thermal expansion and the pipes sliding in the walls or water hammering. I don't think that's the case here since it only does it when the water is off. Turning the water on makes the noise stop. Our house is a 4plex in a square, we have one quarter, built about 2002 with pex pipes. The supply were the valve and regulator are is about 1", also plastic. Sometimes it's worse than others and the last couple days have been the worst. It's not that loud except at night when it's quiet.
I’m going to guess it’s the regulator cycling. Possibly wearing out a bit, and has a sticky/bad valve. The pressure is just at the right (wrong) point, it closes, drops a touch, it opens, etc.
Could also be a check valve, newer systems have them to prevent backflow. Same idea, fluttering open and shut.
Two suggestions:
1) Hire a plumber instead of listening to some idiot on the internet who has far more experience with regulators on steam locos than plumbing.
2) Install an expansion tank. Little tank that looks a lot like a 5 gallon propane tank. Rubber bladder in the center. Half air, half water. Water isn’t compressible but air is. It solves water knock and takes pressure off your valves. Already have one? They wear out eventually, the rubber gets pinhole leaks. Once the air is replaced by mostly water, they no longer work. You have to have the air as the cushion.

1587285774789.png

May 21st, 1977. Photo by Kim Piersol.

I go for OEM always, the only time I have deviated from replacement parts being the same as the originals is when GM debuted their ceramic pads back on the early 2000s. I had a 99 Alero at the times and by jove I loved those pads. They stopped great, didn't squeal and best of all, they didn't ;eave brake dust on my pretty chrome rims!

As far as Scotty Kilmer, I can take him with a grain of salt. Being in the biz I can usually detect when he is spewing bovine excrement.

I went to ceramics and vented rotors on my Chrysler Crossfire some time back for the same reasons. Great stopping power and little to no brake dust. The original pads stopped the car very well, but it was impossible to keep the front wheels clean. As for Scotty, yeah he's full of opinions, some of which I agree with and some not so much, but his "basic stuff" is pretty good. Having spent a number of years bending wrenches myself I have a pretty good BS filter.

Good morning from the Quarantine State. This is what happens when Murphy becomes Governor....

Why is it that someone goes wind surfing, gets in trouble and has to be rescued, then is charged with violating the Governor's beach closing edict, while someone in a Kayak gets in trouble, and is rescued and not charged with a criminal offense? Also, apparently private marinas are not covered by the emergency proclamation. Things one learns when he doesn't want to. :rolleyes: After all, this is Jersey.

This morning's rumor has this confinement continuing through June 1. People are getting antsy and tiring of being restricted. They are also missing their paychecks, and not getting any of the promised relief... Not for nothing, if all this shelter in place is a violation of individual rights and freedoms, where is the ACLU?

Doing my part for the greater good, I built a bulkhead out of wood for my marine terminal, on the creek side. still needs to be stained and weathered. I also worked on installing a new crossover. Had to trim the diverting track by ¾" to fit the space. Today, I need to trim, file and solder the crossover, and place it. I also need to paint the backdrop, and the roadbed first, so I don't keep having to do the same work twice. I'll have some photos later today.

Today is shaping up to be a nice day with temperatures in the 60s. the wife hopes to plant her lettuce and flower seeds today, and I would like to cut the lawn. After today, we are looking at more rain. April showers....:rolleyes:

Morrisville July 1987.jpg

Power for the Byberry Drill. Morrisville, PA during the Conrail Era.

WB on Middle at CP Copper in 1976.jpg

More from Morrisvile, a Westbound on the "Middle" at CP Copper in 1976. US 1 OH Bridge in the background. 1976

I used my new Deli slicer this morning!
1587303785256.png

It works fantastic!

I sliced a 4.5lb boneless ham and it only cost me $2.29/lb

Next will be a big block of extra sharp cheddar cheese. I should say, when Costco is no longer a mad house!

I got to get a piece of beef out of the freezer and roast it on the weber grill!

Morning everyone! FLO - coffee please -- I'll order later on - thanks.

Helped the neighbor yesterday do a lot of trimming and cleanup in his yard. We filled both of our green containers (packed) plus his brown container as well. His yard was getting out of control, two huge bushes (I forget the name) used for cooking had become so large that they could no longer stand on their own. His wife was a former German lady and she overplants everything - she must have 30-40 pots with plants plus all the stuff around the perimeter.

I was sidetracked watching a few U-tube's on making homabed - think I will try some myself if I Have the courage to get to HD for some material:

I also come upon some samples of foam roadbed which were sent to me. They really are nice - three samples: grey HO & N plus black HO. I have a pic of them, but forgot to bring the "link" upstairs with me. This is very dense foam and supposedly cheaper than cork!

Made a run to Walmart yesterday morning early and found TP, sanitizer, wipes, bleach, and other things we are starting to get a little low on - figured that we are good for a couple months on stuff now!

Lost a cousin day before yesterday down in Louisiana. He was 82 and was on dialysis for almost past three years. Even though I have only seen him 4 times in the last 30 years- I will always remember his jovial demeanor and infectious smile.

Attachments

• roadbed 01.jpg
    roadbed 01.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 117
  • roadbed 02.jpg
    roadbed 02.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 115
  • roadbed 03.jpg
    roadbed 03.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 110
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 60° here at the SFW estate. Possibility of scattered isolated thundershowers this morning, but the radar shows them moving east about 45 miles south of here through the Dallas/Ft Worth area.
My friend the plumber came by yesterday to help me with the installation of the tankless water heater. It took longer than expected because he is a perfectionist and he wanted everything to look neat and orderly. It's out of sight and I didn't care, but he cut out the old plumbing and added fittings, rerouted it a bit, and soldered it all back together. OK, it looks neat, but it would have worked either way. He is afraid of electrical work, which I did mostly on Friday and finished up yesterday. It works as it should. Beat my wife to the shower, although I invited her to join me. She declined.
Finally received our stimulus deposit overnight Friday. That will pay for the water heater and a lot of hobby supplies. We really didn't need it, but I wasn't going to turn it down. We discussed donating some of it to the local hospital for PPE, which we will do Monday.

I'll take Mel's omelet this morning Flo. Throw in some extra bacon and a toasted English Muffin on the side.

Thanks everybody for the likes and comments yesterday, for the rest of the downtown area; Guy, Karl, Tom, Garry, Chet, Joe, Dave, Bob, Phil, Alan, Curt, Paul, Chad, Jerome.

So, what did I do in the train shed yesterday? Pretty much nothing to speak of. I did do some work on the next structure over from Hal's Hobbies. It's a fire station that is from LifeLike. It's the same one that Johnny has been showing off. I didn't take a picture of it, but here is a picture from the Internet.
1587305199238.png

I took a picture of the problem. This goes back to when it resided in the old train room (non-varmint/insect proof), and I didn't notice it until I started to tidy it up this time. A dirt dauber had built a nest in the area under and behind the staircase on the right.
04-18-20 011.JPG

Difficult to access and clean, especially with the hose racks inside. A considerable amount of work with a small screwdriver and an Exacto #11 blade eventually yielded this.
04-18-20 012.JPG

By the time I was done, I had broken three of the four legs of the hose rack, so I just cut it out completely and I will remount it.
Next to that structure is an old time favorite, Superior Bakery. It was originally a kit by Revell, but it was a ConCor kit by the time I purchased it.
04-18-20 021.JPG

The basic building walls were used by ConCor to make an engine house which I have and I believe a newspaper printing office. More on this structure later.

Garry - I like how your piggyback yard is progressing. I grew up near ATSF's Zacha Junction TOFC Yard in Northeast Dallas in the 60's. It was like yours but on a bigger scale, and slowly watched its transformation into a COFC yard over the years. They sold it to KCS when they opened the Alliance Yard north of Ft Worth in the early 90's.
Chet - Too bad that the transplanted Californians cannot be taxed at a higher rate than native Montanans. We're beginning to see the same sort of thing here in Texas, although they haven't taken over the local school boards yet. They are contributing to a leftward tilt in the states political climate though. They definitely don't like the "open carry" laws here, but that won't change anytime soon.
Curt - Best wishes on the window assembly. While I love that type of window, I would probably only do ten or so a day before my eyes started getting crossed and blurry! o_O
Louis -
People should not work hard all their lives only to end up in poverty.
I can't comment on a lot of folks, but I know a few that chose not to save when they could well afford to, and are now struggling. I used to warn some of my self-employed friends who bragged about not paying taxes and Social Security that it would catch up to them later. Those who laughed are now faced with Social Security checks that are barely worth the paper that they are printed on.
The national news continues to be nauseating.

Our Governor has ordered face masks to be mandatory in the stores that are still open and I guess it applies to all public places.
Kudos to him.
Joe - These pandemic rules that vary from area to area are really bizarre. An example that I use is WalMart and similar stores are allowed to stay open and sell the same things as Hobby Lobby, Sears or Kohl's, most of which are ordered closed. Then there are a couple of states that were behind the curve, whether by ignorance or intentionally. I give you Mardi Gras and Spring Break as two very glaring examples.
People are getting antsy everywhere. It appears that some states are taking notice, others are still going overboard. People in Florida are not allowed to sit on their own private beaches! To me social distancing, common sense and PPE should be the responses rather than lockdowns and stay at home orders. Although I do admit that some states do need the lockdowns. Yours might be a good example. You're just too close to NYC.
It looks like our state of Texas is going to relax some of the rules rather soon for non-metropolitan areas.

Everybody have a great day today, whichever one that it is.

Good Afternoon Everyone....sunny and seasonal today in Wisconsin.

Thank you everyone for your condolences about the lost of my BIL. He will be missed.

Drove to the cabin yesterday to check on things. Some snow in small areas and ice on top of the covered flower, pots. A wood pecker drilled a hole in the 1x6 wood trim above one of the shed doors.

Down in the train room today.

Short and sweet.

Until tomorrow.....

Greg

Afternoon All,

Started with chores then chauffeured MOH around for 2 stops. When I finally got into the train room I spent around 2 hours placing "glass" in all the window frames then cutting out the rest of the pieces needed to put them together. I hope to finish them tomorrow, but we will see. I lied yesterday there are only 36 windows not 50. Finally I read over the next several steps several times until I understood them.

Greg- You mentioned birds. A little bit ago I was outside next to the garage door putting cardboard into recycling and something flew between my legs and the can startling me. I got the impression of a sparrow (color) but the bird stopped at the edge of the driveway under the hedge and I could tell it was a baby, then I saw Mom and Dad Cardinal in a near by tree looking worried, so I left them alone.

Karl- Very nice modeling.

Louis- Interesting photos. My Mom and Dad have one and we borrow it around Christmas to thin slice Pork Tenderloin in preparation of making Schnitzel for New Years Day supper. Yummy:D

Joe- Nice photos. It rained here all day Saturday but today it's 91 F and very muggy.

Sherrel- Sorry for your loss. I watched the video and it seems like a lot of work and equipment to make. Unless I missed it who makes the foam roadbed? Is it better quality than the WS stuff?

Willie- Nice looking building. It looks like a 2 stall engine house on the market or did you repurpose it? Are you expecting common sense?

Here is yesterdays photo. The base to the second building.

20200418_133310.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I used my new Deli slicer this morning!
View attachment 46788
It works fantastic!

I sliced a 4.5lb boneless ham and it only cost me $2.29/lb

Next will be a big block of extra sharp cheddar cheese. I should say, when Costco is no longer a mad house!

I got to get a piece of beef out of the freezer and roast it on the weber grill!

Holy cow, that thing's a monster. I was slicing up my Easter Ham today for lunch and really wishing I had one of those things.

When I was growing up in Pittsburgh, there was a deli chain called Isaly's.
They were famous for three things.
1) "Skyscraper" ice cream cones, shaped more like a popsicle than a normal ice cream cone
2) Klondike Bars, now a national hit, but back in the early days, they were a regional thing only
3) Chipped chopped ham sliced paper thin and piled high.

The chipped ham was made on an industrial version of that machine, razor sharp and they'd cut the meat so thin it was translucent. It's what made it so tender. It also meant that it piled up higher, making it look like you were getting more, when much of what you were getting was air. I'm sure that wasn't accidental. But it was delicious and they were famous for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back