Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's cloudy and 61.
When I visited my wife last night, she told me our hospital had its first case of Corona. I told her I didn't think a single case would be enough to go around, they should have gotten 3 or 4...

Good Morning Everyone. Friday the 13th here, probably at your house as well. 61° and rainy, heavier rain just ended, .5" fell in the last hour. Forecast shows rain for the next seven days, the heaviest being Tuesday through Thursday with near an inch a day.
Like many others, I do not like the hassle of changing my clocks twice a year. But there is an advantage to DST in early March right now. I am able to grill in the daylight between 5:30 and 6:30 now!:) Doing it with the porch light was troublesome because of the shadows .
Good news yesterday morning. Fluffy our cat showed up after being gone for 20 days. Haven't seen him this morning though, might just be the rain. Looks like he ate well and came home unscathed.

How about a big bowl of oatmeal with a generous handful of raisins this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the various townspeople pictures yesterday; Jerome, Patrick, Johnny, Joe, Chet, Dave, Sherrel, Guy, Greg, Karl, Phil, Curt, Garry, Hughie, Ken.

OK, a progress picture from the train shed. Here's where I am at with the scenery around the casket manufacturer.
03-13-20 004.JPG

I also intend to add some barrels and a lot of tall weeds to the right of the not yet weathered trailer. I'll be making those barrels from salvaged capacitors from old electronic boards.
03-13-20 002.JPG

The indentations encircling them will be covered up with brush and overgrown foliage.
Meanwhile here is another townspeople shot.
03-12-20 009.JPG

Johnny - Painting figures becomes easier after a few. You need steady hands, good fine-tipped brushes and I need a pair of Optivisors. When my train room was in a non-climate controlled location (before the train shed), I used to sit at the dining room table on cold mornings and paint them. Boxes of Preiser figures were about $20 for a box of 120, and can be surgically manipulated into different poses if you have too many duplicates. I still find it a great way to unwind.
Joe - Good luck with the MIL outcome. It's always sad to see persons deteriorate.
Greg - Good luck with that SD39. It sure has been giving you fits lately.
Terry - Looks like that picture (post #356) came straight from my beer fridge!
Garry -
Apparently, the whole country is shutting down . I hope it stops the spread if the virus. Meanwhile, I pray each of you and your family members are not infected with it.
While I take this threat very seriously, I do think that some folks are overreacting. I am in agreement with shutting down large gatherings because many people don't use common sense. For God's sake, stay home if you're sick!
Politicians are making things worse. We don't need economic stimulus for the stock market, it will recover just fine by itself. The economy will also recover on it's own once this passes. Spend the money on medical research and such. Most of all, don't offer "free money" to anyone that doesn't need it. In my opinion, this doesn't even come close to the problems that the flu causes! Many, many people die from the flu each year, although it may be too soon to tell with this virus.
Rant over.
Beady - Sorry to hear that your vacation plans were upset. I know how much you and your wife were looking forward to the cruise, and Disney. You now have time to post more selfies of you and your yellow motorcycle.

Everybody have a great day. I hear thunder now.

Morning all,

Partly cloudy and 40* here in Doo-Dah. Supposed to rain this afternoon and overnight, with a slight possibility of some wintery mix, but no accumulation expected.

DC power should be in the house when the mail comes this afternoon....I've already planned for train time this weekend.

Willie: I agree with what you posted to Garry. The government should have been on this from the start instead of having an "adversarial relationship with the truth". Kansas had it first death at a care home and it was NOT among the 4 known cases, so it's out there and probably more widespread than we know.

That said, the wife said I need to try to find more toilet paper before I get home tonight. The daughter sent a picture last night of her kids by the shelves devoid of toilet paper. Hand sanitizer I get, we don't buy it usually, but TP and soap...don't people wash their hands on a normal basis???? (ok I know they don't).

Ok Train Picture:
27014947840_72fd9389e1_b.jpg

Happy Friday the 13th, everyone! 42 and clear here, heading for mid 50s today. I'll just have a chocolate croissant and a cup of coffee this morning, Flo. Not very hungry.

Iron Belt Ken, Roofintrash, Texas Hobo, Garry, Wheeler, Willie, Flip, Karl, Greg, McLeod, Patrick, Sherrel, TruckDad, Chet, Boris, Curt, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my farm scene post yesterday.

Ran trains for a good while last night. Still feels weird not to be working on a structure build of some kind, but, like I said the other day, I'm pretty much built out on the layout. Maybe a couple of shacks or sheds here and there some time, but nothing major.

Here's an archive photo of a DPM kit I named for my dad, who was a printer by trade.
JohnnysPrinting1.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

My last word on the virus. The latest numbers I've seen are that it has killed 3,000 people, worlwide. The flu, meanwhile, has killed 30,000 in the US, alone. No one talks about the flu, and the flu hasn't been a major concern since the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918. Yet, two or three cases, just cases and not deaths, of C19 is enough to shut down entire states: governments, schools, sports, everything. Toilet paper, of all things, has become a precious commodity for no known reason, but it's somehow related to C19 in a way that no one can explain.

There's a book that precious few people have heard of, yet it has never been out of print since written in the mid-1700s : Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, by Charles Mackay. It starts off with the Great Tulip Panic in Holland. It's been a couple of decades since I read it, but it's really well-written and doesn't read like you'd expect. The thrust is that people are generally intelligent as individuals but are really stupid as a group.

Well, there's nothing I can do about it. There's the cruise to Bermuda in late September, and we've rescheduled our Caribbean cruise for next March (longer, more ports and better accommodations, with half the cost covered by Princess as an incentive). And we're thinking of more mini-vacations: Chicago is only four hours away, and I haven't been to the Upper Peninsula since I was a boy.

FB_IMG_1582918539154.jpg

Good Morning, everyone! Thought I'd drop in for another coffee, since it's so chilly out there. -22C (-7F) and it's supposed to cool off for the weekend. I shoveled the walks twice yesterday. The old fella down the street has pig valves in his heart, so I shovel his walks as well. I like him, and don't want to see him have problems.

Thanks for all the likes from my first post in the shop. So many, that I can't remember all the names to type in here.

The only thing I'm worried about with this covid19 thing, is that they'll probably come up with an ordinance that you are limited to 1 square of toilet paper for each visit. And a tax will be applied if you choose to use 2 squares.

Yesterday, I tried building a rock wall photo diorama, applying methods I've learned throughout this forum. It's far from finished, but I thought I'd take a photo with a locomotive presented with the unpainted, supposed rock face backdrop.
NewAthearnGP9_03-12-2020.JPG
It never ceases to amaze me, how that beautiful vision I have in my mind cannot transport to the surface of a 3D object I'm making.

Since it's so cold outside, I'm going into the workshop to apply some drywall mud and try forming a proper rock face. So far, this is a great experiment and learning experience.

I really do enjoy seeing the photos of the layout works that are so often brought into the shop.
All have a good day! I'm off to the workshop.
Guy

Morning Everone! FLO- How about just some simple scrambled eggs with whole wheat toast and a side of ham steak this morning - and a glass of OJ, Please!

GUY - good to see you again .. Nice photo of the CN (GP9?) I like that. Maybe with some color your newly made wall would look better? I don't see anything wrong with it except it needs dressing up a little.

Willie - Nice photos - looks like a small line of Thunder Storms not too far west of you this mrning?

Johnny - Nice photo - Drugstore owner in hometown had an Edsel just like that one - color and all!

BEADY - I have no idea how I have lived this long. Mom and Dad were almost 90 when they went. I grew up on DDT!
Dad had a large garden and he used to use a lot of it on everything. I can still remember the smell of him "dusting" all the plants. You can't tell me that it was not in the soil?

Patrick - Nice photos of the GN equipment. That one you put up yesterday was awesome - showed the colors beautifully. I can see why you like the colors - HA!

We have now slightly exceeded our average rainfall with yesterdays slow heavy sprinkle all day long - no runoff - it was a great 1.5 inches. Possible some more today!
Wife wants me to attend the G-Sons last band (drumline) performance as the remainder of the season has been cancelled. I am calling it - THE LAST CHANCE TO GET CORONA VIRUS PERFORMANCE.

Good morning y'all. Another rainy day in Jersey, and Friday the13th came on a Friday, eh?

Covid - 19 is scary, because we don't have a vaccine to prevent it, and...the prescribed test is also producing false negatives, according to one news source. There is a lot of false information about, and the media and politicians are feeding on the frenzy. The ral problem is that this disease originated in China, which is not an open or candid society, so the rest of the world is behind the curve in reacting to the outbreak.

All nursing homes are off limits to visitors, and after today, schools will be closed locally. They will have distance learning in effect. Hope there is enough internet bandwidth available... On the other hand, both me and the wife come under the high risk category, so we plan on limiting ourselves to staying home as much as possible for the next couple of weeks. Only visits to doctors and grocery shopping. maybe, I can get something done on the layout? With the absence of sports, there will be time.

Meanwhile:
Phillipsburg Train March 1976 1.jpg

At Fanwood NJ on the CNJ Main, now NJT Raritan Valley Line.
Phillipsburg Train March 1976 2 Fanwood.jpg

Phillipsburg Express passing trough Fanwood, NJ in 1977. Most of the cars are ex GN Coaches, and the observation is classic CNJ. Observation car was also available for charter for special events such as weddings and partys. lasted until NJT took over in 1982.

Good morning. 18 degrees a clear skies with a Winter Weather Advisory up for tomorrow. I have been out of town since last week and just got back yesterday evening. Looks like I got back just in time.

Just scrolled through the photos and really enjoyed them. Joe has really come up with some good prototype photos and there were many really nice layout photos also.

It will probably take some time to catch up. Now I am even more behind on chores. Have to go to town and run a few errands and then get back and get ready for bowling league tonight.

A quick photo. Sitting in front of the Butte Civic Center in Butte, MT.
NoPac_25.jpg

Later

Yup already saw it. Plan C was to be the Grand Canyon, but the weather looks like it's going to suck. Same for San Diego, where our younger son lives. We're still traveling tomorrow (Friday); our niece and her family live in Dayton and it was always our plan to stop off and deliver the Christmas presents we didn't get to give them. After that, we'll play it by ear.

God, I'm depressed.
View attachment 45057View attachment 45058
Gives meaning to "fly by wire"

Good morning all. Well I see the corona virus has made it here. I believe the media is making a lot more of this than is needed. The flu has killed thousands and is not the topic of the entire newscast. Hoarding, I get you may want a little extra in case you need to quarantine, just how much do you need.

Every time my MIL goes to the DR.'s office for her checkup, she gets sick.
For 21 years my DR. has wanted me to get a FLU shot. Haven't had a shot and haven't had the flu.
Hope all stay well

Phil
I was forced to get a flu shot when I was in the service, got the flu. I have politely refused the flu shot from my doctors for the last 40 years and have the flu just once. They say the current flu shot is only 45% effective, what's the point.

gUESS THAT I should have NOT laughed off the empty TP shelves and the cussings/fights/etc ...at the stores.
Decided to figure out how to use the Walmart web for ordering and made up an order for yesterday.
Didn't order much - mostly dog treats and food, but I did request a 12 roll pkg of TP which was NOT filled!
We have a couple weeks on hand, so not an emergency ... told the Spousal Unit that she is going to have to ration down ... got a dirty look back (in reality she could really back off!)

Good afternoon.

Regarding TP

Sherrel ... Tell your Spousal Unit to hang it up to dry to conserve it. LOL

if you run out, you willl be wiped out. :p

People are lining up at Walmart, Costco, etc. to buy TP and so on. It would be ironic if they caught the virus from another person in the line.

Have a nice afternoon.

Every time my MIL goes to the DR.'s office for her checkup, she gets sick.
For 21 years my DR. has wanted me to get a FLU shot. Haven't had a shot and haven't had the flu.
Hope all stay well

Phil

I'm with you PHIL. Never had a flu shot ever and never had the flu.

Garry - I haven't figured out why there's a panic on the Toilet Paper. For the most part, I think the media is elping drive the panic. Yes, there is a problem, but there have been other outbreaks over the years and it dies out after a while.

89373190_2809406699095692_1238303942622838784_n.jpg89630334_895193887586622_6890275110800850944_n.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back