Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodney was just telling me yesterday it was 104f, 40 Celsius in Tasmania!

Right now its 38f, 3 Celsius here in Baltimore, not bad at all.

1546610333337.png

This is one of those "light the fuse and run" kinds of questions. It is mostly based on opinion, but there should be some supporting evidence and experience: If you were going to buy an engine, which of the following brands would you say is the best/most reliable: Athearn, Athearn Genesis, Atlas, Atlas Trainman, Bachmann, Intermountain?
The fuse is lit . . .

This is one of those "light the fuse and run" kinds of questions. It is mostly based on opinion, but there should be some supporting evidence and experience: If you were going to buy an engine, which of the following brands would you say is the best/most reliable: Athearn, Athearn Genesis, Atlas, Atlas Trainman, Bachmann, Intermountain?
The fuse is lit . . .
Lionel :)

Don't worry Johnny, if you have thick skin the bomb you lit won't hurt you in the least.

Sorry I can't help you with an answer.

The medical landscape of this country is appalling. All politicians do is posture for position and argue. While the rich reap the rewards and the working man suffers

Louis:
Not for nothing, all the politicians ever do is posture, and try to sell their vision to the voters. None of them care about the welfare of the country, just that of their contributor(s).

Our annual Medicare deductible, per person is $ 185, up from $ 183 last year. My Part B supplement covers that. The monthly premium is $135.50, up from $ 134. That comes directly out of my monthly annuity payment. It's actually cheaper than what I was paying for month as my cost sharing for my employer provided healthcare, and is less restricting.

Boris

Louis: Not for nothing, all the politicians ever do is posture, and try to sell their vision to the voters. None of them care about the welfare of the country, just that of their contributor(s).

Our annual Medicare deductible, per person is $ 185, up from $ 183 last year. My Part B supplement covers that. The monthly premium is $135.50, up from $ 134. That comes directly out of my monthly annuity payment. It's actually cheaper than what I was paying for month as my cost sharing for my employer provided healthcare, and is less restricting.

Boris

That's good news at least the ACA is doing some good.

My Mom said her costs were about the same as well. She is fortunate, at 86 she has very few problems and only takes 2 generic prescriptions. It was combined into one, but she found out it is less than 20% of the cost to have 2 rather than have it combined into 1. Her doctor recommend 1, he said "it's easier to remember" I doubt it.

That reminds me, I need to call her.

Good morning y'all. 32° and somewhat sunny, with more rain predicted.

Not for nothing, the other day I saw a perfect example of "Fake News" on the local Cable TV News outlet. Shortly after last weekend's rain had stopped, News 12 ran an article about two reservoirs in a West of the Turnpike county that were below 70% of capacity, in spite of the recent rain.
The gist of the article was that the "Drought" in NJ continues. Now, every other reservoir in the state is over 100% of capacity, the local one washing over the banks. Like the rest of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions, we have had rainfall well in excess of average, for several years now. But without questioning the source, the tv outlet reported the comments as fact. Was this a deliberate attempt to mislead, or just someone running a story without checking the accuracy? Perception, is reality, and it's possible the person responsible for the article can't see the forest for the trees. Ya gotta wonder, eh?

Louis:
I do not want my data stored on a cloud. I'm tired of being watched and monitored all of the time. There's not a whole lot I can do about it, but I do try to keep a very small footprint. Intuit spun off Quicken last year. The spinoff company pissed me off when they didn't disclose they were moving to an annual subscription basis, until after I bought and paid for the 2018 upgrade, or I would have kept the 2017 version, which worked OK. I had been using this program since DOS days, and had found it to be a useful tool. However, the latest version, did not work as well, and many features no longer were available. Seeing that, I decided that they had to go.

I was finally able to get the QPW spreadsheet to do what I wanted, and save to my HD and a backup saved to an SD card, dedicated to the spreadsheet. Now I can expand it to my other accounts. Problem solved. :).

Boris

Boris you are a perfect example, "where there is a will there is a way".

Thanks Boris, Quick books can do with out me. I think I'll keep my old personal check book software for at least another year. I don't want a new player to have so much access to my information. Besides some features that I now wonder if they may or may not work the only disadvantage is I print reports and enter the information into turbo tax manually. It's not like I am running a big business. I might spend an extra 30-60 minutes.

Come to think of it probably a lot less time than that. My revenues are down over 50% because of my health problems last year.

Time for me to get ready for work, I love being able to say that! :)

Have a great day Everybody!

The fuse is lit . . .

The only brand on the list I own is Intermountain( only own 1). Good looking, and running locomotive. Bit noisy, but not terrible.

The majority of my locomotives are Walthers Mainline, and Scale Trains, so can’t give an opinion on the others.

Louis: The ACA has very little to do with Medicare. I did a lot of research before I went on Medicare, looking for the best deal, and in spite of that, I still made some costly mistakes. When I crunched the numbers, I noticed that costs tend to be the same regardless of which way I went. With the Medicare Advantage Plan, my Part A, Part B and Part C were combined into one plan at a lower monthly premium. However the Medicare Advantage plan restricted me to a network of care givers, and required a co-pay and out of pocket cost sharing, which was at least as costly as traditional coverage, plus supplement and separate Drug plan, which didn't limit me to a network. FWIW, since the wife began infusion treatments for her RA, the savings from going with traditional Medicare / supplement are obviously apparent.

Everyone's needs are different, so a one size fits all plan is not the answer. The biggest problem I found was the difficulty in attaining unbiased information on the differences within there are as many as 12 Medicare Supplement plans in effect, all with different costs and coverages. Not every plan is available in every state. Much of the information on search engines is advertising, rather than factual information. The big problem, is not the lack of affordable plans, but the lack of information on available plans.

Boris

Good morning, everybody !

Willie .... Louis is disclosing it is your birthday....... Have a good one ! .... P S .. Save some cake for the Coffee Shop.

Johnny ..... I don't know if it is lighting a fuse, but I'll tell you my most reliable locomotives are Atlas followed closely by Athearn Genesis and Intermountain, Broadway Limited, Stewart, and Proto 2000.

Below are my Atlas SD24's which I run often without problems. Mine have Sountraxx Tsunami decoders which work well.

35941311644_1f82b32e16_b.jpg

My six Proto 2000 SD7's and SD9's keep going and going like the Everyready bunny and are very versatile as were the prototypes.

]
34998860314_c52bc7fbc5_b.jpg

Here is a three unit consist with Athearn Genesis F3 A and B (Phase 4) and a Intermountain F3A (Phase 2)

36371653050_a3a0d1cc85_b.jpg

Good morning fellers. Cold start here in the hollers of West Virginia. Getting rain later today. It's finally Friday. It's been a long short week for me this week. Here is a before and after for y'all. The Chessie caboose on display in Rainelle, WV
53d80213c1ed5.image.jpg

Attachments

• 310791d3-9526-47e4-9059-61887b7a70fe_d.jpg
    310791d3-9526-47e4-9059-61887b7a70fe_d.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 133
Morning shop dwellers: It's bright Sunny with winds out of the north at Zero with Gusts to One? Should reach 67 today.
JOE, (and others): I meant to offer this on your spread sheet problem. When MS wanted to charge me to upgrade my Office Suite, My former tax account in FL suggested a switch to OPEN OFFICE. I presently have version 4. It is a free program and is almost a direct copy of EXCEL. All of my OFFICE files imported into OPEN OFFICE with narry a single problem. You may want to check it out as it is much more simple than OUATTRO ... just saying. OPEN OFFICE has a word processing section as well.

Nothing on tap for today - well, actually I have to start cleaning up the Christmas Decor, but with the
spousal Unit playing in the Sahara Sand there is no rush.

Echoing what Joe posted, ACA did very little to affect Medicare. ACA did raise the cost of drugs to higher income Medicare beneficiaries, 85K or higher annual income (170K for couples), but did nothing for the average Medicare beneficiary. ACA also raised my healthcare costs before I was eligible for Medicare. Medicare premiums go up yearly regardless of anything else just because the cost of healthcare goes up. I will not go into the many ways that ACA caused insurance costs to rise because that may invoke political statements.

Joe -
Louis: I do not want my data stored on a cloud. I'm tired of being watched and monitored all of the time. There's not a whole lot I can do about it, but I do try to keep a very small footprint.
This is the very reason that I am not on Facebook or any other social media. For the unwary, Google your own name and see what'e out there. I happen to live in an area where the local government does not put public records like property tax records on the Internet, yet, but many others do. Of course, every time you Google something, there is a record. Sadly, Big Brother is everywhere now. For a demo once, I showed a coworker what came up when I put his name in. He was astonished when it showed all of the addresses and taxes he paid on some rental properties he owned, information from his high school yearbook from the early 60's in another state, his son's arrest record (same name), date of birth and a myriad of other information. Beware!

The fuse is lit . . .

You forgot Kato, the only one smoother than Atlas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back