Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken, if MU capability isn't going to happen, you can program all the addresses you want MUed to the same address, then change cv29 for NDOT forward or reverse as needed, then adjust horn and bell volumes to 0 on the trailing units. It would be a PITA, but doable.

Actually just MU them with a DT402D then dispatch it. The Engine Driver just dials in the lead loco.

I know at the club, NCE + JMRI + App, they just build consists using the loco's addresses. Not sure if it's advanced, old style, or one of the other names given to consisting. Wifi, I think could also be involved.

I know at the club, NCE + JMRI + App, they just build consists using the loco's addresses. Not sure if it's advanced, old style, or one of the other names given to consisting. Wifi, I think could also be involved.
And Ouija boards. Don't forget them...

Old consisting is carried in the command station, advanced consisting is carried in the individual decoders. Advanced consisting is a lot less processor-intensive, and assigns a unique consist address to individual decoder addresses for them to follow. A consist address is a 2 digit address from 1-126.

Good morning everyone.

I arrived in Michigan okay. I waited until about noon to leave Kentucky. By then the rate of rainfall had diminished and the winds also had diminished. I drove over 600 miles in 10 hours .

Ken in VA .. interesting about smart phones being used to operate DCC locomotives.

Chet. ... you new acquisitions look great already . One thing I notice about the Stewart F's I have in the NP Lowey green colors : ... the air intake grills are painted silver. I suppose it simulates stainless steel. If I recall correctly , NP F units had the grills paint to match the rest of the units. .. I have not changed that on my Stewart NP F units.

Speaking of smart phones, I'm typing this on mine.

Happy model railroading , everybody

Good morning, 57° and cloudy, with rain after 2PM. Went down to 45° overnight.

Speaking of smart phones, my phone appears to be kaput. Last night, when I put it into power saver mode before bed, it had 89% battery, this morning, nothing at all.

Good Morning All. 68° and partly cloudy. We're in for a few days where the temperatures creep back into the lower 90's. Interesting, I went to the Weather Underground to compare to other nearby localities and they went back to the old format this morning.
Today I will be helping my daughter load up diapers for flooding victims. She collected them at her house and has to come to nearby Denton to load them into the 18-wheeler. She put up something on Facebook and within hours had enough to pack two SUV's absolutely full. By the next day she had enough for two more and has enlisted friends and neighbors to bring them to the drop-off point where I will meet her. My other daughter who has a Masters degree in child counseling, is volunteering at the Dallas Convention Center today to counsel troubled kids. Too bad that the media is more transfixed by Melania's high-heel shoes than by the folks helping one another in South Texas and Louisiana. I am amazed that she can walk up the steps into Air Force One without using the handrail while wearing them.
In the train shed yesterday, I started installing the fence surrounding the horse pasture that I posted pictures of last week or so. Didn't really spend a lot of time on it as I had other household and gardening stuff to do. I'll get more time this afternoon maybe, depending on how much time I spend socializing after the relief event, i.e. go to the local bar with other participants!

Eric - It's good to read that they have taken you off the opiod pain killers. I looked up Paxil since I wasn't familiar with it and noted the side effects: "The common side effects include drowsiness, dry mouth, loss of appetite, sweating, trouble sleeping and delayed ejaculation. It may also be associated with a slightly increased risk of birth defects". Be careful with the last two.;)
Sherrel - So you're "Home Alone". Be sure to behave yourself. Hoping for the best for your cousins in Beaumont, especially cousin Ted. Can't comment on BLM people as we don't allow them to come into TX.
Johnny -
she's already used the term "trainroom widow" once
Once, is that all?
Bruce - Boy, you would feel more at home living in Texas where most everyone thinks like you. It gets hot though, but one never has to shovel heat off the driveway!
Ken (D&J) - Have a safe trip. I never heard of the place that you are headed for and had to look it up. Not a very big place but picturesque.

When I want to mu my diesels, I just place them together on the same track...kinda simple, right Chet?
Everybody have a great day and a safe Labor Day weekend.

Willie

Good Morning:
Starting my day at 75 degrees with more heat expected, but somewhat less than before, and possible chance of a shower?
Today is forecast to be MUCH COOLER than yesterday.
Today
High 103 | Low 79 °F
20% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 113.5 | Low 69.4 °F
Precip. -- in

Willie Every time I access the weather - seems I get a different format. I wish sometimes that they would just leave things alone!

Chet .. Like the locos.

TERRY - You, Ken, and Toot are talking Greek again! Now, Cut it out!
A bit of advice on your new ride! I wouldn't be disconnecting anything - With some of your past luck - things will start "disconnecting" soon enough! (I'm sorry - just could nt resist!)

And Ouija boards. Don't forget them...

Sherrel, look away! ​I'll have to ask at the club next time, see if there's one of those hiding somewhere, 'cause I sure get a lot of weird indications and cursor either going missing or appearing where it shouldn't be when I'm building advanced consists with the Pro-Cab-R. Which confirms what I couldn't recall before. Wifi is involved in the Smart phone communication with the NCE system 'cause I eliminated that one day as the cause of the problem. I arrived early and left it off and still had problems. Waiting to get an aerial extention cable made up by a member, so I can properly test at home using radio. The 6' one that comes in the box isn't long enough to get it far enough away from the base station to make sure it isn't the cab. Don't get the problem when tethered at home and the club hasn't bothered to put a UTP connected to the main layout, which is where I do all my communication via radio. I'm trying to find out if it's my cab that's faulty, or all the steel framing in the building and layout and especially in the roof where the trusses are all exposed. If I can accurately confirm at home where there is no steel that it's working OK, then it must be all that steelwork, bouncing the signal around.

Setting up advanced consists there, and home, it always starts at 127 and works backwards as others join in, automatically. It's one of the things you have to be careful of when killing a consist, that you make sure which number you select with the scroll wheel before doing so, because all consists, whether yours or someone elses, appear on your cab's screen to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:
TOOT -- Thanks for the warning! My mind shut down after reading the third sentence. I was actually thinking about trying it out with an NEC purchase a few days ago, but this Thoroughly re-enforced my thinking to STAY AWAY!

I will treat it the same as I do rattlesnakes!

Foxie has NOT had her coffee this morning!

"I say, BOY - pay attention, Go Away! Leave me be!"

Dogs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Everybody

Sad news to report; Mamma went to be with God this morning. My faith tells me I should celebrate, but my human nature is sad for the loss. Sad that I can not provide much comfort for my family. My only consolation is that I know this too will subside and the gratitude I have for my train buddies and the support many of you have given us, thank you.

Not much Joy in Mudville today.

Sherrel thanks for sharing the picture. Foxie reminds me of my Sophie anytime she decides she wants to be grumpy.

TOOT -- Thanks for the warning! My mind shut down after reading the third sentence. I was actually thinking about trying it out with an NEC purchase a few days ago, but this Thoroughly re-enforced my thinking to STAY AWAY!

I will treat it the same as I do rattlesnakes!

Sherrel: You are not alone. My last layout was DCC, and initially, I planned on using DCC on the current build. However, in the ensuing two years two things have happened, one DCC technology advanced, and I got older. I was reading about installation of the newest TCS decoders (21 point), and the various options and kits etc. and became completely confused. Meanwhile, I continue to operate the operable portion of my layout in test mode, that is with a DC power controller, (Used to call 'em power packs). Meanwhile, my DCC stuff sits. Model railroading is truly fun!! I keep telling myself that. :rolleyes:

Good morning Everybody

Sad news to report; Mamma went to be with God this morning. My faith tells me I should celebrate, but my human nature is sad for the loss. Sad that I can not provide much comfort for my family. My only consolation is that I know this too will subside and the gratitude I have for my train buddies and the support many of you have given us, thank you.

Not much Joy in Mudville today.

Please accept our condolences, Louis. We are sorry for your loss.

Yes, WiFi is involved

Gang,
I'll just leave this track pic here.

story.jpg

That being said, today is our anniversary. 10 years. If I would have married here the 1st time I had the chance it would have been 35 years. Better late than never huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back