Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Slept like crap last night and it was after 3:30 before I really fell asleep. My son is on his way with friends to Atlanta for the annual DragonCon convention. He will return on Monday. He tries to go every year. I drove up and met with Jon and Phil and had a great time. Phil is doing fine. A pleasant surprise was the toll road that I take about half way up opened another 5 mile stretch. That means 5 less miles on a 2 lane rural road with very heavy truck traffic.

Eric- Good news on the weight. Phil is putting on weight also.

Louis- Prayers for your family in these painful times.

Willie- Nice job on the fence. A friend here did something very similar then ran over the thread with I believe A&I. After it dried the thread looked slightly spiky and was easy to think of it as barbed wire.

Joe- If the pain starts to move upward or you start feeling numbness in your extremity, or if your foot becomes cold and pale you need to go to the ER. I hope it just turns out to be something minor.

Garry- MOH pushed me back into the hobby after 40 something years. She knew I loved MRR'ing as a kid. Anytime I want to make a large purchase I always have discussed it with her first. It helps she probably has more money money tied up in her sewing and quilting machines then I have in my stuff.

Sherrel- Blood Clot was the first thing I thought of.

I made a heavy cardboard (not corrugated) template for the base of my engine house project.

20170831_144126.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back again. Only 10 pages behind. Just don't like fighting with this 'puker.

My problems are so minute in comparison to many others, I don't want to mention them. Let me just state I care about you all. Good thoughts-Prayers are said everyday.

Phil

Garry- MOH pushed me back into the hobby after 40 something years. She knew I loved MRR'ing as a kid. Anytime I want to make a large purchase I always have discussed it with her first. It helps she probably has more money money tied up in her sewing and quilting machines then I have in my stuff.

Curt ... Like I said to Louis, I was only kidding Terry about his joke. Of course, my hobby is not a secret I keep from Shelley. I'm glad your wife encourages you. Good advise for Joe.

Joe ... I suggest you pay attention to Curt's advise about leg pain.

Apparently, we are getting a lot of rain because of remnants of Harvey. ... And I'm supposed to be driving tomorrow morning to Michigan. ... Let's see hoe that works out.

May your family gain support and strength from knowing that there are those here thinking about them at this sad time too, Louis.

Thank you, and you are welcome for the video. That as one of the movies I could count on both hands.

Woke up this morning in an incredible amount of leg pain. Now what?

Louis:
I will remember your MIL and family in my prayers.

Thank you.

Blood clots in the back of the lower leg, calf, hurt like hell and feel like the leg is over heating. Get that checked asap. If it is a blood clot and in the left leg it can cause a deadly stroke. Unfortunately I know first hand, but thankfully mine was treatable before it broke lose.

View attachment 63027
I installed about a scale 280', threading those three wires through 30 posts total. Eyes are still crossed! I'll be adding a bit more scenery material now that the fence is in place. Cows will still have to pay attention and not step off the layout edge, but at least they won't have to worry about walking in front of trains.

Louis - Very sorry to hear about your MIL. My prayers are with the family. Isn't she back in Hungary? Reminds me that in this area, the folks of Mexican heritage have a saying that "the Lord has to take an existing one out to make room for a new one".

Nice fence! I thought of you yesterday, I was in rural Maryland between Baltimore and Annapolis and I spotted a dozen cows or so. The other neighbors had thoroughbred horses. I see lots of race horses in Maryland, but not many cows. I think the cows were males because they did not have the milk things, but I did not see anything underneath from over 200 yards. As you can see I know nothing about live stock.

Yes Mamma is in Kecskemet, Hungary. My wife is missing being able to call her every morning. My wife was just there not long ago and it looks like she will making another trip soon. This one won't be a happy trip.

Howdy ..

Louis ... I hope your realize I was only kidding Terry about his joke. Glad you are a "lucky man", of course. .... Certainly will pray for Mamma and your family. I can understand what your family is going through. My Mom passed away 15 months ago.

No worries, my friend, I know your good sense of humor. Sometimes they fly over head, but that was an easy one. :)

You know how we are feeling, thank you.

Louis - Yes, prayers for your MIL

Louis again - Ah, yes, Clint Eastwood - the only guy who can act with just his face, a gun, and a dozen words.

I still watch him in Rawhide, it comes on Saturday afternoons and if I am not home I record it on the DVR.

I liked most of his movies, but those "spaghetti" westerns, I never liked any of them. Too many strange camera shots for me.

Louis - So sorry to hear about your Wife's mom. Prayers for her.

Thank you.

Louis, Certainly best wishes and prayers for your MIL, so sorry that you and your wife have to bear this pain.

Thank you.

Done, buddy.

Oh, I forgot: ...and all who sail in us.

Thank you Hawkeye.

Guns: My three favorites, all .45. In order, replica of Wyatt Earp's Buntline special, from the movie Tombstone; converted 1861 Colt Army; 1872 Colt Army. Not very practical for everyday carry (I have a Ruger LC9S Pro for that), but fun to shoot. Unfortunately, I think my active Cowboy Shooting days may be over and most of the safe contents will be up for sale before long.
7b9cfdc9cb23411a297b487aed2ce92d.jpg
2f8cdd8105a18e59335510611dc75778.jpg
30ee04a3cc9d85610fcb9b408632ad9a.jpg

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Now those are great looking guns! They remind me of the gun the little girl had in True Grit, the first one with John Wayne.

Louis- Prayers for your family in these painful times.

Thank you,

My problems are so minute in comparison to many others, I don't want to mention them. Let me just state I care about you all. Good thoughts-Prayers are said everyday.

Phil

I know you pray for us daily and I appreciate it immensely, thank you.

The latest update we have is they were able to get a vein and give Mamma an IV. She is still sleeping, but who knows. Mamma is a tough lady. As little as she is, she was a machinist in a shop that made military parts for the Soviets and other Warsaw pact countries. In her better days she was less than 5 foot tall and about 90lbs. My wife and my youngest daughter are nearly as small as Mamma. My wife has a picture of all of us together. I'll try to post it. At 6'8", 290lbs I stand out a wee bit.

FYI I had thought I lost my previous post, but I clicked on advanced and then restore auto save and there it was!

Bob if you see this post, thank you for the great software and as always thanks for this great forum. Even though they won't let me needle Sherrel about his politics :) I still love my train buddies, especially my buddy Sherrel!

Sherrel I'm sorry I have riled you up in the past, but you are such an easy mark. Don't be so sensitive my friend, I think the world of you. Come to think of it; Karl is another easy mark, he takes everything to heart, forgive me as well Karl.

I wish you all could come over and hang out with me. Then you would see I am just an old ball player sitting on the end of the bench with nothing better to do than to rile everyone up. Hey, somebody has to light a fire under this team! You guys have to admit, I make you swing harder. :)

God Bless us Everyone

Ok Hawkeye, that's your cue. :)

Joe- If the pain starts to move upward or you start feeling numbness in your extremity, or if your foot becomes cold and pale you need to go to the ER. I hope it just turns out to be something minor.

Curt, Garry and Louis:
Gotcha, thanks for the indicators. Right now, I'm OK, No pain and no distress. I have not noticed any hot spots or anything of that nature, but anything is possible, so I will take your precautions and advice seriously.

I think the cows were males because they did not have the milk things, but I did not see anything underneath from over 200 yards. As you can see I know nothing about live stock.

So you didn't get to see the udder ones then? Just telling us a lot of Bull.

Eric - Nice to see you back in here. Was wondering about you. It is good that you have gained some weight. Do you have any idea of how long it will be before the feeding tube can be removed? Sure hope it is soon so you can start getting back to normal.

Well my friend.... I had to realize early in this process that I will never be able to go back to "my normal" ever again. For a while I was relegated to the thought that I might [probably] never be able to have either of these tubes removed and eat like a regular human again. Then one day my ENT Dr. [and PhD] says "I see no reason why we can't get these tubes out". Now granted, he didn't say when but that it wouldn't real soon. That was back April or May sometime I think.
However, as for reconstruction and tube removals, the ENT is waiting for the 2nd PET scan on Oct. 4 and hearing the oncologists tell him that cancer is not there anymore. Until then, the tubes stay in place. Sept. 9 will 1 year since they were put in. My how time has flown. I've been through so much shit it's amazes even me that I've put up with it. I guess ignorance IS bliss because had I known what hell I was about to the go through and for how long I may have not bothered with any of it and likely be dead long ago. I didn't know so I just went along with it.
However, all that said, I look forward to a good report Oct. 4 and actual serious discussion about reconstruction can begin forth with. The one surgeon I have already spoken to said to expect surgery to be at least 8 hours and a fairly painful recovery. Given what I've already had to deal with already, I welcome it !!!!
E

PS: I had a Dr. appt. yesterday and they have taken me off any/all opioid pain killers. Now they give me Paxil for pain and/or any depression. I'm not sure I like this idea. I had a friend go completely nuts on Paxil. When they took him off he went back to being his regular self. I have heard of this happening to several people as a side effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning Gents,
60 and partly cloudy going for a 72° high so it says on the Weather channel site.

A couple weeks ago there was some wee discussion about lighting and someone asked how, or was interested in how, I'm going to light my oil refinery.
Well we're about find out the results of this effort. I have 5 of those super tiny LEDs mounted in the tower components and am about to put at least 5 (maybe 7) street lights around the base.

I'm trying to take pics at various points so don't worry. You all will get to see.
I can't wait either! It should be awesome.
E.

Early for me again!
It's 75 degrees at 4:30 am - that means another hot one coming. Here's the readout from yesterday and expected today... Today is forecast to be NEARLY THE SAME temperature as yesterday.
Today
High 105 | Low 77 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 112.3 | Low 77 °F
Precip. 0 in

LOUIS - You don't get to me! I just know that I am right and you are wrong .. er .. left! LOL!
You, and family are still on the prayer list - more so than ever with your wife going by herself. Know that it can't be helped, but just adds more sadness and grief to the equation.

Forgive me folks, but so much on my mind today. Spousal Unit is off to Jacksonville, N.C. this morning to visit g-kids and daughter- and I will drive her to the airport which will take up the morning. Because of the Holiday weekend - she had to buy a ticket to get on the flight ... our "free and reduced travel" is next to worthless anymore ... flights always seem full to oversold, no matter when we try to go. SIL will return from deployment sometime next month. I'll hold down the fort while she is gone.
Someone has to water the begonies?

My cousins (five of them) are all waterlogged in Beaumont and surrounding area there. Most are still dry, but only by a very few inches .. one has sand bags around the front door to keep water out - how it is not seeping under the sill plate is a mystery. Cousin Ted, age 76, was trying to move some valuables from his house, slipped and fell breaking his pelvis! Now he has been airlifted from the hospital there to "I have no idea where" -- and now his home has a foot or more of water in it!

Now, on top of all this, the L.A. City Council has voted to replsce Columbus Day! My Heavens - where does the INSAINTY stop?? '1984' is alive and well - You an't seen nothing yet!

OK, rant over! coffee cup is empty again.

Good morning everyone. 60 and foggy out in the country, but will clear off and be partly sunny today. Bee-oo-tiful weekend on tap.

Garry, Curt, and others - MOH supports my model rr habit and likes seeing progress on the layout and watching the trains run. I'm glad to have her with me on that. But I do need to watch how much time I spend in the basement- she's already used the term "trainroom widow" once.
Joe - I echo Garry - keep an eye on that leg pain
Toot - Love that Bugs Bunny - my favorite cartoon character. No offense to anyone, but today's cartoon characters are worthless junk - can't hold a candle to the old-time ones like Bugs, Sylvester, Chip and Dale, the Roadrunner, Mickey Mouse, etc.

Keep making progress in the trainroom. I'll have some photos next week, promise.

Have a good day everyone.

Oops - sorry - it was Louis who posted that Bugs Bunny clip.

Yep it was Johnny. He also posts them to facebook, along with those other great ones, makes my day. They definitely don't make them like that anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
CCW's? I suppose if you feel you must but I'M not asking anyone's permission to defend myself! I was BORN with it and so were you!

The "Founding Documents" GIVE NOTHING! They only explain it for those who need it explained to them. WE hold these truths to be self evident...evidently some don't.

I ordered a couple of Fox Valley GP60s from MB Klien and they arrived yesterday. I still have to get decoders for them. I'll stop in at Mainline Hobbies in Summit, PA on Sunday and pick up a couple.
I'm going to hit the road at 4am tomorrow morning to go up to Port Trevorton, PA to see some friends and work in their resturant. I usually go up there a few times a year and stop off at the Enola yard to watch the train operations just north of Harrisburg, PA.

Johnny, check out SpongeBob He is a great example for kids. He works hard and always treats everybody fair. I could go on and on with SpongeBob's good qualities. His best friend is a completely lazy idiot and the show even points out where that leads you; living under a rock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCkUJ3FOB1I

So many people today whine, complain and refuse to even try to out work (yes I mean out work, not work out) their problems. Hell many healthy people refuse to even work at all! We need more good examples like SpongeBob. I tell my boys "whining, crying and complaining will never get you anything!" "Do your best and let God take care of the rest" "That only works if you really do your best and God knows the truth"

Good morning, Happy Friday! 53° and clear. The Bowser Baldwin AS616s are in at MBK, and I ordered one,in DC. Two of these beasts were based in Wilmington DE in the early 70s, running out their days on the flat switch job at Edgemoor. The Bowser version is the pre 1964 scheme with Trainphone. Because of the holiday, I won't see it until next Wednesday.

CCW's? I suppose if you feel you must but I'M not asking anyone's permission to defend myself! I was BORN with it and so were you!

The "Founding Documents" GIVE NOTHING! They only explain it for those who need it explained to them. WE hold these truths to be self evident...evidently some don't.

Bruce what are you on about now?

Sometimes I think you are speaking in abbreviated quatrains. Why not speak in French? You would not confuse me anymore than you already do.

Help me out here. Which founding documents; Federalist Papers, Declaration of Independence, the Constitution or something else? What is "CCW's"?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." - Thomas Jefferson.

Time for work

Everybody have a great day!

Johnny, check out SpongeBob He is a great example for kids. He works hard and always treats everybody fair. I could go on and on with SpongeBob's good qualities. His best friend is a completely lazy idiot and the show even points out where that leads you; living under a rock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCkUJ3FOB1I

So many people today whine, complain and refuse to even try to out work (yes I mean out work, not work out) their problems. Hell many healthy people refuse to even work at all! We need more good examples like SpongeBob. I tell my boys "whining, crying and complaining will never get you anything!" "Do your best and let God take care of the rest" "That only works if you really do your best and God knows the truth"

Louis - I would agree about Sponge Bob's good qualities being a positive influence on kids - IF they even bother to catch the moral of the stories. I watched Sponge Bob when he first came out around 2000 and actually liked him for a while, but it didn't take too long before he became irritating and boring to me, whereas the old-time cartoons never seem to do that (to me). Now, I realize part of that is because I'm old(er) and stuff I grew up with has special memories for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back