Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Johnny - You have a lot of choices when it comes to a building for a bank. Another manufacturer you can look at is DPM. The main Street in Logan on my layout is mostly a mixture of Walthers kits and DPM kits. When it comes to trucks, which ones are you referring to ? I have a mixture of trucks. You can look at Classic Metal Works as they have a number of vintage trucks and trailers. I have been collecting vehicles for the transition era (1957 and older) for over 30 years. Some of the tractors are Alloy Forms Mack trucks. The Ford can overs are Athearn I believe.

If I see something new come up, I'll snatch it up in a hurry because in many cases once they're gone, you're out of luck.

Johnny - You have a lot of choices when it comes to a building for a bank. Another manufacturer you can look at is DPM. The main Street in Logan on my layout is mostly a mixture of Walthers kits and DPM kits. When it comes to trucks, which ones are you referring to ? I have a mixture of trucks. You can look at Classic Metal Works as they have a number of vintage trucks and trailers. I have been collecting vehicles for the transition era (1957 and older) for over 30 years. Some of the tractors are Alloy Forms Mack trucks. The Ford can overs are Athearn I believe. If I see something new come up, I'll snatch it up in a hurry because in many cases once they're gone, you're out of luck.

Hey, Chet - thanks for that information. I agree - - you gotta buy stuff when you see it before they run out of stock. My idea (whether it works or not we'll find out later) is to have a real downtown area with a couple of the Merchants Row structures and a few individual buildings, then have individual structures at both ends of the street as Main Street "fades" in each direction. In the town where I grew up, there was a separate building for the bank but I'm not tied to that idea. So I was wondering whether one of the store fronts of a Merchants Row building would work.

As for the semis, like you I'm modeling the transition era and I'm looking for semis like early Peterbilts or Freightliners. Just want to keep it right for the era. What I saw on the modeltainstuff site seemed too new for this era.

The local model rr club is holding its spring train show in just a few weeks. I like looking for structures and other scenery items as well as some rolling stock at these shows. Maybe I can find some semis there.
Johnny

There's a former bank building in Wild Rose, Wisconsin, population 732 or so and the building looks like any other brick office building.

Banks typically were located on street corners to gain exposure. But not all did.

Greg

Here's a bank I have in the town of Logan. The sign is a bit fuzzy in the photo. It is a DPM kit on the right side.

IMAG0845.jpg

Here's photo or two of the Wild Rose bank building...the bank is on the far right as its seen in 1910 and recently.

Greg

WR%20Main%20Street1910.jpg

north%20from%20pub%201.jpg

Johnny - I think these three buildings are Merchants Row 4. The one on the left that I have put the Gallatin Valley Furniture sign on would probably work for a bank.

0102.jpg

Greg - Your photos remind me of downtown Bozeman. Most of the buildings are from the turn of the century. The city is having any new construction to have the same appearance.

Golly mercy did you all reply j![emoji3]
For whoever asked if I'm able to actually work on...yeah pretty much. It ain't like I'm building the table or anything.
Back to nap-time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have two specific questions about scenery. 1) Many of you have done the Merchants Row structures - they're great for a small town and the era I'm modeling (late 50's to late 60's). I've got MR IV done and want to do at least one more for our town (plus some individual buildings). My question is whether in your experience any of the MR buildings would look right for a small town bank?

Thanks.
Johnny

Here's a picture of MR V that I recently built. The RH building as built with the supplied graphics is a pharmacy, but it could easily be a bank.
10-28-16 006.001.JPG

In another town, I have a DPM bank called "First Bank. I don't have a picture but here it is on their website. OK, it is Woodland Scenics website, but the building when I bought it was a DPM kit!

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/12200/page/1

Willie

Good evening Everybody!

Just wanted to stop in to give you all an update on my grandson, he is doing better. The little man is tough as nails, no whining crying or complaining. Only a low grade fever today and his appetite is still poor. He did respond with a "YEAH" when I handed him a bag of Haribo Gold Bears, I had to get some calories into him. He has been drinking lots of apple juice and hot tea as well.

Thanks everybody for you concern.

Have a good night!

Good evening. Just checking in, been hyper-focused on a kitbashing project since Friday. Only came out of the workshop long enough to eat, sleep and do my usual family chores. And of course working at my daytime job and commuting between there and home as well. That doesn't leave much time for posting here!

This is one of my most challenging projects within the last 10 years. It's not anything grand like Ken-in-VA's Diablo Bridge, in fact it's only 4 inches in length. But this particular car was only available in brass ~20 yrs ago, and then as a special-run cast resin kit a few years later. I'm not sure I'll successfully complete this thing, but if I do it'll become one of the crowned jewells on my layout.

Prayers for everybody who's sick, esp. Eric and Louis' grandson.

I have two specific questions about scenery. 1) Many of you have done the Merchants Row structures - they're great for a small town and the era I'm modeling (late 50's to late 60's). I've got MR IV done and want to do at least one more for our town (plus some individual buildings). My question is whether in your experience any of the MR buildings would look right for a small town bank? 2) I need some semis (18 wheelers) from that era and the stuff on MBKlein look too new. Are there other websites that have a wider selection that might have semis from my era? For example, Chet's layout has numerous old-time vehicles - where did you get the semis?

Thanks.
Johnny

There are certainly plenty of HO scale bank buildings that would be appropriate for an older small town bank. Specifically in the Walthers Merchant Row series, the discontinued Merchant Row #3 was actually a reissue of a Heljan 6 1/4" x 7 3/4" bank building kit from Heljan's old Courthouse Square series of structures.
https://www.walthers.com/merchant-s-row-iii-kit-kit-6-1-4-x-7-3-4-x-4-3-4-quot-15-9-x-19-7-x-12-1cm

For a small town bank, I actually like this kit from Design Preservation Models which is also available as a built up structure by Woodland Scenics. With a 5 1/2" x 4 1/8" footprint, it doesn't take up nearly as much space as alot of the kits available of banks or savings and loans.
https://www.walthers.com/first-bank...ructures-r-kit-5-1-2-x-4-1-8-quot-14-x-10-4cm

https://www.walthers.com/citizens-s...es-r-assembled-5-1-2-x-4-1-8-quot-14-x-10-5cm

As for the semis in HO scale, Classic Metalworks makes vintage trailers and has had a various tractors from the 30's through the late 50's to tow them. Their current offerings use a mid 40's Chevy truck with the trailers, though they have a late 50's Ford truck available without the trailer as well. A few years ago they had mid 50's International truck and trailers which you might be able to find on Ebay. Here's the page with a couple of the Chevy trucks with trailers. https://www.walthers.com/classic-metal-works/page/6

Here's the 58-60 style Ford truck that can be used with the same trailers if the Chevy is too old for your layout. https://www.walthers.com/1960-ford-tractor-only-assembled-holly-green-cab

Last edited by a moderator:
These buildings are giving me some ideas for a large area on my empire that I will need to build a small town in.
Below freezing here in King George, VA this morning.
Got a dental appointment today. Just a checkup and cleaning. During a cleaning session, I feel like one of the big animals on Wild Kingdom where they lay on the shore of a river with their mouth open while the birds pick the food out from between their teeth. At least my hygienist has small hands and she is attractive.

Good morning Everybody!

My little man is kicking this flu bugs ass! I wonder if they were to quick to call it a flu? He slept great, no fever, just a stuffed up nose. Oh well this worst that comes from a misdiagnosis in this case is a week off of school. That reminds me I have to pick up his work from school. That is going to cut into video game and YouTube time!

Thank you Ken for your prayers. nothing better you could send us, God Bless you. :)

Speaking of prayers, lets not forget our President, he needs our prayers, not prayers for some TV show's ratings.

God bless us Everyone

Good morning, everyone. A big cuppa regular and a sweet roll, please. 40 and cloudy here in SW MO. Hope it rains - - we need it. heading for 50s today and all week.

Ken in MD - Show us a photo of that car you're kitbashing!!!

Jim - thanks for those links and info on bank buildings and trucks. The individual bank buildings are all possibilities. So is MR V, I think. I checked out the Walthers links you sent - they have some good prices there, incl some specials. Those two-fers are a pretty good deal.

See ya later. have a good day, everyone.
Johnny

Good Morning All. It's 44° and raining lightly. Looks like 1" fell overnight, with a few more hours to go. Just the right timing for the garden. I had spread wood ashes which is a good source of organic potassium (potash), over the garden yesterday in preparation for this event. Gets rid of the by-product of heating the house with wood as well.
Train shed update. I am continuing to detail structures, primarily adding sidewalks and roof details right now. Gotta remember to take some pictures.

Eric - Hang in there brother. We're all sending positive vibes your way. You will overcome all of this soon.
Greg/Tony - Fortunate for me, there is still a Radio Shack in Denton TX about 25 miles away, the only survivor of five that were once in that city a few years back.
Chet - Nice little video. Makes me so glad that I live here in a part of Texas where it was 80°+ last week.:cool:
Johnny - Besides DPM and Walther's, Smalltown (now a part of Rix), makes many small brick stand-alone structures that are suitable for small towns. Somewhere on my layout I also have the Heljan structure that Jim mentioned.
12-26-13 044.jpg
Can't really help with the truck/trailers though.
Louis - Glad to hear that the "little man" is improving so rapidly.

Time to go, everybody have an awesome day.

Willie

Good morning, everyone. A big cuppa regular and a sweet roll, please. 40 and cloudy here in SW MO. Hope it rains - - we need it. heading for 50s today and all week.

Ken in MD - Show us a photo of that car you're kitbashing!!!

Jim - thanks for those links and info on bank buildings and trucks. The individual bank buildings are all possibilities. So is MR V, I think. I checked out the Walthers links you sent - they have some good prices there, incl some specials. Those two-fers are a pretty good deal.

See ya later. have a good day, everyone.
Johnny

Johnny - Did you see the picture of the MR V that I posted yesterday pm?
Willie

Good morning .....

Louis .... It is good to hear your grandson is doing better.

Eric ... Prayers continue for you.

Chet ... I like your photos of the town of Logan.

Willie ... Your buildings look great.

There are certainly plenty of HO scale bank buildings that would be appropriate for an older small town bank. Specifically in the Walthers Merchant Row series, the discontinued Merchant Row #3 was actually a reissue of a Heljan 6 1/4" x 7 3/4" bank building kit from Heljan's old Courthouse Square series of structures.
https://www.walthers.com/merchant-s-row-iii-kit-kit-6-1-4-x-7-3-4-x-4-3-4-quot-15-9-x-19-7-x-12-1cm

For a small town bank, I actually like this kit from Design Preservation Models which is also available as a built up structure by Woodland Scenics. With a 5 1/2" x 4 1/8" footprint, it doesn't take up nearly as much space as alot of the kits available of banks or savings and loans.
https://www.walthers.com/first-bank...ructures-r-kit-5-1-2-x-4-1-8-quot-14-x-10-4cm

https://www.walthers.com/citizens-s...es-r-assembled-5-1-2-x-4-1-8-quot-14-x-10-5cm

As for the semis in HO scale, Classic Metalworks makes vintage trailers and has had a various tractors from the 30's through the late 50's to tow them. Their current offerings use a mid 40's Chevy truck with the trailers, though they have a late 50's Ford truck available without the trailer as well. A few years ago they had mid 50's International truck and trailers which you might be able to find on Ebay. Here's the page with a couple of the Chevy trucks with trailers. https://www.walthers.com/classic-metal-works/page/6

Here's the 58-60 style Ford truck that can be used with the same trailers if the Chevy is too old for your layout. https://www.walthers.com/1960-ford-tractor-only-assembled-holly-green-cab

Jim .... Here is the Citizens bank on my layout.

DowntownHeartland4_zps9b2bfeaf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All. It's 44° and raining lightly. Looks like 1" fell overnight, with a few more hours to go. Just the right timing for the garden. I had spread wood ashes which is a good source of organic potassium (potash), over the garden yesterday in preparation for this event. Gets rid of the by-product of heating the house with wood as well.
Train shed update. I am continuing to detail structures, primarily adding sidewalks and roof details right now. Gotta remember to take some pictures.

Eric - Hang in there brother. We're all sending positive vibes your way. You will overcome all of this soon.
Greg/Tony - Fortunate for me, there is still a Radio Shack in Denton TX about 25 miles away, the only survivor of five that were once in that city a few years back.
Chet - Nice little video. Makes me so glad that I live here in a part of Texas where it was 80°+ last week.:cool:
Johnny - Besides DPM and Walther's, Smalltown (now a part of Rix), makes many small brick stand-alone structures that are suitable for small towns. Somewhere on my layout I also have the Heljan structure that Jim mentioned.
View attachment 60614
Can't really help with the truck/trailers though.
Louis - Glad to hear that the "little man" is improving so rapidly.

Time to go, everybody have an awesome day.

Willie
Good morning all. Wow Willie that building is identical to the bank/drug store we had when I was a kid in Southington CT at the green in the center of town (really close to the train tracks too) hmmmm.... I think you guys are giving me ideas on what scene to start thinking about and time frame (late 50,s-60,s) to work on soon. I looked at the link Jim showed and Walthers is out of stock..... dang!! BTW.. very nice build too! Wow. My Dad had a Gulf gas station very near by as well. Lost him when I was a boy, so making that building would be cool to do as well. A two bay station with 3 pumps. Hmmm, seems I should start planning soon. Thx4sharin!

Back