Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Good Morning Everyone. 71° and overcast. Radar shows heavy rain less than 1/4 mile north. Yesterday it rained here for 8 hours dumping about 2.5". Slow and steady, none ran off, it all soaked in. Wish I could have sent some out to CA.
Went on the grocery/beer trek in the morning and spent the entire afternoon in the train shed. Worked on some accessories for the flour mill that is being laid out. A couple of Rix grain bins and a Rix grain elevator (the kind that moves grain not the storage kind). Finalized (I hope) the track layout for it as well. I am starting my first ever "scratch-building" project, as opposed to many previous kitbashes. It will be a simple open-air grain unloading shed for the flour mill. Most of the parts are coming from a box of leftover kit remnants I got in an estate sale some years back. I also finished the track/roadbed installation on the other side of the main for the as yet unnamed grain storage elevator. Maybe I will remember to take pictures today.

Joe - Nice picture from the old layout.
Chet - I like your picture also, I have been meaning to ask you to post one of that house since I first saw it in one of your videos. Thanks. By the way, your layout is just too clean, I thought layouts were supposed to have small screwdrivers, paintbrushes, Elmer's glue bottles and scale rulers laying around!!! LOL
Garry - You also posted a couple of great pictures yesterday.
Karl - Interesting auto repair story.
MR113 - Glad that you could come out of hibernation, several members have been asking about you. Good that everything is well.

Excuse the interruption, it started raining and I had to go around and close a few south-facing windows, just in case. As I have posted in the last week or so, this is absolutely unprecedented weather that we are having for August. Didn't even turn on an AC yesterday and we have been sleeping with the windows open for more than a week now. It might have hit 76° yesterday, maybe! It also never rains in August. Last time we had this much rain on 8/19 was 1983. Mowing the yard has resumed about three weeks earlier this year than most.
Well, it doesn't look like I'll be going for a walk any time soon, so I'll get the umbrella and head for the train shed.
Everybody have a wonderful Saturday.

Willie

Good morning folks.

It's cool and raining right now. High of 66 I believe.
Nothing much to report today. Yesterday was day ten for no drinking! I haven't gone that long since 1999 I believe. Not that I was always a raving lunatic, but I always had some form of drink every few days. The past eight months I was pretty much drinking or drunk five days out of every seven. I figured out that I was spending around seven dollars a day on alcohol. That's $70 so far for something else, like a backdrop! It's good to be sober and I thank you guys for listening to me.

Train progress is progressing! I have a building on the work bench that's finally moving along. Once that's done I'll think about what to do with my backdrop. I'm thinking I'll try painting it again and if it sucks I'll just buy one.

I don't know much else. Have a good day everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning, everybody.

Terry in Wisconsin. ... Great video.
MILW 113 ... Nice to see you . Looks like a good book.
Corey ... Congrats on # 10. ... If you are interested, I'll look for some photos of when I made a backdrop for my city. Basically, I painted the sky myself, and place images of city buildings over that. (See photo below)
Louis ... The Burlington Zephyrs look great. I liked on the internet and found Lionel has a Burlington E5 A-A set. Uh Oh. Glad I am not adding to Lionel now. I'd be spending $'s.

Below is Heartland Union Station .

unionstationGNCBQ1.jpg

I'll add a picture or two.
Here is the CNW/Omaha Road depot in Mankato and my version of it as well. The flood wall for the river was added in the 80's.
Picture048-1.jpg

MankatoDepotandTrestle3-29-08052-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning, y'all!

Nothing scheduled for today. Looks like a good day to work on the new layout. I received a selection of Woodland Scenics new lighting system to experiment with. Upfront cost is a bit high, but so is everything else in our hobby :rolleyes:. Now to complete my Walthers Freight Station with interior and exterior lighting. I also have to rehang the closet doors in our bedroom, now that the new carpeting is in place. Hopefully that is not super time consuming either.

Louis: I just don't get the O's at all. After opening the game by hitting an unprecedented four home runs in the first inning, before the first out was made, they go on to have their heads handed to them by the the Astros, 15-8 :confused:. With all this talk about not extending a qualifying offer to Weiters in the off season, they should be concentrating on completely upgrading their pitching. :confused:

Garry: I really like your Passenger terminal scene. Unfortunately, you are probably right about my not making any more trips to Ft. Campbell / Clarksville / Nashville for the foreseeable future. I'll be heading North along "da trueway" to (very) Northern New York instead. Of course it's a 8 hour drive vs a 14 hour drive, which is easier to do in one day.

Karl: That is an interesting automotive story. I would have never thought to look for that. You would think they would put that out in a service bulletin :rolleyes:.

Corey: Keep doing what you are doing, and everything will be fine. edit Right after I posted, I saw your Station. Nice!

Willie & the rest of y'all:
Thank you for the complements on the photo of the old layout.

David: Happy to hear that you are not affected by the fires.

Sherrel: Have your grandchildren worn y'all out yet? Once your camping experience is over, will you be able to get home?

When this forum, moves quickly, it's hard to catch up with everyone. Sorry if I missed anyone. perhaps, I'll get a chance to look back later in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. 74*F sunny and calm in central MD. Not a good day for model railroading:p but I finally got my lawn mowed yesterday afternoon so I don't have that chore hanging over my head!

Corey - congrats on Day #10! Stick with the Steps and you'll definitely beat this monster.

Garry - always enjoy seeing your urban layout scenes. Hoping I might eventually follow some of your [and Chet's] techniques after I retire and have more time to devote to my layout.

Curt - got your email. Hopefully I'll be able to get my daughter fully moved-in and situated, and my rental car picked-up, by early Monday afternoon. That should leave plenty of time for a quick round-trip visit with you [and Phil if he's available?]. I'll keep you posted...

Hopefully after getting the larger items [including a bicycle] packed into my daughter's CR-V for her sojourn in Florida, I'll be able to finish installing and wiring two more color-position-light signals - a mast and a dwarf - on the north end of the main yard.

Have a great weekend.

Good morning all. Muggy start today,will get back up to 89 or better. "Nother good chance of t/boomers in p.m..

KEN- Looking forward to meeting you. Hope I don't scare you. Is your daughter going study medicine? Just curious.

Hope y'all have an enjoyable weekend.
Phil

Hi everybody just stopping by. Congrats Corey. Big E, I am sending positive waves your way.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Morning all ... Only supposed to be in the very low 90's today. Looks as if we get a break from all that triple digit heat.

Thanks to those who wished they could send us some water. If Gov Moonbeam would have spent what he is doing with the (cough, cough) hi speed rail - we could have been getting water from East of the Divide. WILLIE: .. You are having a very nice summer it seams.

They are finally getting the fire near Cajon Pass under control. House count stands at 106 and building count at 235 with 274 power poles to be replaced and another 100 possible - power company said it will take at least 2 weeks to restore power. I really feel for those who have lost everything.

COREY - Great news .. stay on course!

MIL113 - Good to see you again .. stick around!

See you later!

WILLIE- Did you get any SCALE TRAINS models? Modeler in other Diner likes them. I have no problem with the one I have. If I had the funds I'd get the other 9 I have my eyes on. Oh well, meds and food come first. Also mortgage,lectricity ,etc.,etc.

Phil

KEN- Looking forward to meeting you. ... Is your daughter going study medicine? Just curious.
Hi Phil, same here! That's a negative on the medicine - she's going to Embry-Riddle to learn how to become a commercial jet pilot.

...Back to the trainroom now, I still have ~40 wire connections left to solder.

Phil -
WILLIE- Did you get any SCALE TRAINS models?
I have not purchased any ScaleTrains models, yet. I do really like the looks and most especially the price, but I truthfully have no room left for them. I already have over 800 freight cars and I have calculated that when the layout is finished, only about 675-700 will actually fit, and that's with 275-325 in staging. I still have nearly a hundred new in box that are on a shelf under the layout. There are also several shelves in proximity to the current staging yard that contain cars that I rotate in and out.
I wish that they were around when I was still purchasing equipment. I could have used about a dozen of the Evans box cars. Someone on this forum has purchased 30+ of their tank cars, I believe it may be Ken of D&J RailRoad, but I am not sure.
Just checked and it is Ken.

Willie

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning under the supervision of MOH. I briefly talked to Ken and Phil concerning Monday. I interrupted Ken working on his signals.

Chet- I read your post to Phil and was shocked!:eek: I called Phil and he explained what it was about. I had missed the previous posts.

Terry in Wisc- Very nice video.

CA Dave- Glad you are OK. I see Sherrel explained the joshing we were doing.

Karl- That was crazy. I sure don't envy you doing 40 solders on tiny wires.

MILW113- Nice looking book.

Louis- Great song.

Greg- I think I have seen pretty much all the YouTube historical videos on the Pennsy. Occasionally I find a layout video (Pennsy) that I have not seen.

Corey- It's always nice to make layout progress. Nice looking station.

Garry- Beautiful modeling.

Matt- Good to see you drop by.

Here is a shifter making up to a cabin.

20160820_115203_zpseb6clxrh.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good morning, or what's left of it. It is is 79 degrees in the Fraser Valley going for another hot day in the high nineties.

Installed several hundred nut/bolt/washers on my trestle yesterday, several hundred more today. I must be nuts.

Enjoyed all the posts, it is hard to keep up with all of them.

COREY- Try to get to as many meetings as you can, I went to eight or ten a week for many months. It was fairly easy for me with no job or wife ;)
You depot looks great, nice job. My next building is going to be a CN depot much smaller than yours. It will have stucco siding which is going to be somewhat of a challenge. I really enjoy scratch building, it sure provides me with a lot of serenity
and teaches me patience. Love this model railroading!

Mel

Hey Louis, good buddy!
Quiet weekend here, chilling and watching old episodes of The Saint on DVD....
Time to buy more Milwaukee Road DVD's soon I think....lol
I love those old shows, The Saint is a great one, Inspector Teal is always a day late and a dollar short. Since our broadcast channels switched to digital signal we have a lot more channels and many of them play old TV shows. Today "Rawhide" will be on at 3pm. I watch that "Dead or Alive", "Laramie" and others. Kojak is one of my favorites. The old shows are the best!

... I found a ton of great railroad documentaries on YouTube, maybe you all have seen them 10 times over. Besides trains, I'm also a history buff.

Have a great day, Greg
I love those old documentaries. The PRR ones are best.

Nothing much to report today. Yesterday was day ten for no drinking! I haven't gone that long since 1999 I believe. Not that I was always a raving lunatic, but I always had some form of drink every few days. The past eight months I was pretty much drinking or drunk five days out of every seven. I figured out that I was spending around seven dollars a day on alcohol. That's $70 so far for something else, like a backdrop! It's good to be sober and I thank you guys for listening to me.

Train progress is progressing! I have a building on the work bench that's finally moving along. Once that's done I'll think about what to do with my backdrop. I'm thinking I'll try painting it again and if it sucks I'll just buy one.

I don't know much else. Have a good day everyone!

Keep it Corey, you have to be a grinder, one day at a time. I am glad to hear you are going to AA, support is important and we are always here to listen, we are happy to do it!

That's a good plan for the back drop.

Louis ... The Burlington Zephyrs look great. I liked on the internet and found Lionel has a Burlington E5 A-A set. Uh Oh. Glad I am not adding to Lionel now. I'd be spending $'s.

Below is Heartland Union Station .

unionstationGNCBQ1.jpg
Garry that is the problem with trains, there are just too many to buy them all!

Great photo, thanks for sharing it!

I'll add a picture or two.
Here is the CNW/Omaha Road depot in Mankato and my version of it as well. The flood wall for the river was added in the 80's.
Picture048-1.jpg

MankatoDepotandTrestle3-29-08052-1.jpg

Another great photo, you guys are just too good!

Nothing scheduled for today. Looks like a good day to work on the new layout. I received a selection of Woodland Scenics new lighting system to experiment with. Upfront cost is a bit high, but so is everything else in our hobby :rolleyes:. Now to complete my Walthers Freight Station with interior and exterior lighting. I also have to rehang the closet doors in our bedroom, now that the new carpeting is in place. Hopefully that is not super time consuming either.

Louis: I just don't get the O's at all. After opening the game by hitting an unprecedented four home runs in the first inning, before the first out was made, they go on to have their heads handed to them by the the Astros, 15-8 :confused:. With all this talk about not extending a qualifying offer to Weiters in the off season, they should be concentrating on completely upgrading their pitching. :confused:

A day with no plans is a good day in deed, but it sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy!

The Birds really disappointed me last night, I am so tired of watching them walk hitters when they have a big lead. Make them beat you by hitting the ball! If they are not walking the hitters they are always pitching from behind in the count. Jimenez is so inconsistent. I think we need to reevaluate the pitching coach. I miss George Bamberger. In fairness Memorial Stadium was much more friendly to pitchers than Camden Yards is.

I expect the Orioles to try and keep Wieters, but he has the worst of all agents to deal with so it may not be possible. On the other hand his offensive numbers have been only average this season so we might get him for another 1 year contract. We have prospects in the minors to replace him if need be. I'd like to see him call a better game.

Since the Birds moved to Camden Yards we have had trouble signing free agent pitchers. I can't blame them, Camden Yards is a hitters park. We have some young arms that just need some more seasoning. Its a tough transition from thrower to pitcher.

Tillman is pitching tonight, hopefully he can get us back on track in this series and in the pennant race.

I look at it this way; If you had told me in March we would only be 2 games out in mid-August I would be happy.

They are finally getting the fire near Cajon Pass under control. House count stands at 106 and building count at 235 with 274 power poles to be replaced and another 100 possible - power company said it will take at least 2 weeks to restore power. I really feel for those who have lost everything.

Thanks for the updates, I could not agree more about how sad it is.

Being born, raised and living all my life in and around Baltimore I take water for granted. I pray you guys short on water get a nice long slow and steady rain.

Installed several hundred nut/bolt/washers on my trestle yesterday, several hundred more today. I must be nuts.

Enjoyed all the posts, it is hard to keep up with all of them.

Good work Mel, but my hands are hurting thinking about all you have done.

... she's going to Embry-Riddle to learn how to become a commercial jet pilot.

...Back to the trainroom now, I still have ~40 wire connections left to solder.

Congratulations Ken, you must be very proud and a bit nervous. I know I was when my oldest daughter went to the University of Maryland and that is only 30 minutes away.

Louis- Great song.

Here is a shifter making up to a cabin.

20160820_115203_zpseb6clxrh.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I'm glad you like the song Curt!

Great photo, I love the radio system, what kind of diesel is that?

Great to see you Matt, thanks for stopping by!

Afternoon Gents.
Same old misery here.
Talked to Dad this morning. He's planning on coming here to stay a while and take me to my scan appointment(s).
He had already planned on being here when they go to do surgery.
At this point there are no dates scheduled for anything yet so there really isn't anything anyone can do at this point.

I had an absolutely horrible sleep night last night. More like no sleep really.
Finally got up and took one of these percocets around 0700 and slept about 3 hours.

I really wish some semi-foul weather would come in so I could go for a walk.
It's just too dam hot for that and given the humidity it wouldn't be good for breathing and I'd be out of breath in short order.

Just figured I'd check in. Don't remember if I did yesterday or not.
You all been posting some good pics the last few days.
E.

I love those old shows, The Saint is a great one, Inspector Teal is always a day late and a dollar short. Since our broadcast channels switched to digital signal we have a lot more channels and many of them play old TV shows. Today "Rawhide" will be on at 3pm. I watch that "Dead or Alive", "Laramie" and others. Kojak is one of my favorites. The old shows are the best!

Too true my friend! I've got all the Kojak's as well as a box set!

Think that the set will be The Avengers possibly...

Back