Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Hi Louis,

I wanted to say how I agree with you that so many issues with the kids or even young adults today stems from not being taught respect and the values needed to function in society.

I have a 4 year old son and I can see how he will often like his mother more than me because I'm harder on him. I know one day he will understand and be grateful for what I've done. I know I am.

The problem I see with trying to teach kids is it is very hard and a lot of work. You can easily let them just be and spoil them. but that's not going to do them any good.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong but I'm doing what I feel is best.

A friend once said to me that you can't judge a parent on how they raise their kids because they don't come with a manual.

Dave

Boy talk about playing musical coffee shops. I need to stop being away for periods of time.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

OK so I haven't posted a layout pic in awhile. Put one of my GP35s to work here lately.
52520a6c115d7914e336b3c0a02adf56.jpg

The salesman has been here 9 years.
To add insult to injury, I just got my paycheck. I worked 6 hours of authorized overtime without getting paid for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Louis,

I wanted to say how I agree with you that so many issues with the kids or even young adults today stems from not being taught respect and the values needed to function in society.

I have a 4 year old son and I can see how he will often like his mother more than me because I'm harder on him. I know one day he will understand and be grateful for what I've done. I know I am.

The problem I see with trying to teach kids is it is very hard and a lot of work. You can easily let them just be and spoil them. but that's not going to do them any good.

A friend once said to me that you can't judge a parent on how they raise their kids because they don't come with a manual.

Dave

Dave - I think you're probably doing the right thing. My son is now in his 30's and I was hard on him at times. We laugh about him not getting killed with some of stuff he did when he was a kid. Now that he is an adult he realizes that what we did was for his own good and he has turned out to be a great guy. Funny how probably most of us thought our parents were fools until we got older and realized that they were probably right all of the time.

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone.
I'll be heading out around 1300 (40 minutes away).
My taxi guy just called to let me know he'd be here.
My sister Andrea (the MD) says to probably don't expect a whole lot today.
Regardless, I am nervous.
E

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone.
I'll be heading out around 1300 (40 minutes away).
My taxi guy just called to let me know he'd be here.
My sister Andrea (the MD) says to probably don't expect a whole lot today.
Regardless, I am nervous.
E
It'll probably be a "get acquainted" visit, where he reviews the reports, talks with you for a few minutes, and does a quick exam. He may order a few more tests, depending on what he sees.

Eric - Good luck. Like Terry says, this is a preliminary exam to find out exactly what is going on. Probably more tests and a follow up appointment. Hoping the best for you.

Louis- Pecan Pie is a specialty for M O H. Can't find better at a bakery. Makes them from scratch with L O V E !

Have you ever eaten at the Boulevard Cafe ?

Phil

My wife makes the best I have had but I would love to try your wife's :)

Is that the Boulevard Café in Tysons Corner, VA? If it is I know where it is but I have never eaten there. I seldom eat out. My wife likes to go out to eat occasionally and I go with her because I love her. Even when I was working on the road I would stop at a grocery store and buy a pack of bologna and a loaf of bread rather than to eat out. Sometimes I would treat myself to a McDonalds Quarter Pounder. I am so cheap. except for buying for my family or trains!

I am diabetic, I have to skip a meal and can only eat a small piece but mmmm it's worth it!

Hi Louis,

Dave

Thank you Dave. My definition of a good parent is anyone who does their best every day. Of course we all make mistakes because as you said they don't come with a manual. What works for one kid may not work for another.

As long as you and your wife put up a united front and do your best you will be great parents.

From my experience Sons tend to gravitate to Mom and daughters to dad. As they get older it can get even worse until they pass the teenage years.

OK so I haven't posted a layout pic in awhile. Put one of my GP35s to work here lately.
52520a6c115d7914e336b3c0a02adf56.jpg

Good stuff, I love Chessie and coal cars!

The salesman has been here 9 years.
To add insult to injury, I just got my paycheck. I worked 6 hours of authorized overtime for free.

Your sales manager needs to be reevaluated, no forget that he needs to be fired along with that salesmen and you need a new job, but health insurance can complicate changing jobs.

How is your wife doing?

Lionel is expanding in Concord, how far from you is that?

Louis, the sales manager is also the owner.
Wife is stable, and has begun going back to the gym at the local ymca.
Concord is about 80 miles South of us on I-85.

Good afternoon. Thanks, everybody who complimented my 2 photos of the new signal mast. I am truly humbled!

Rail Builder Dave, good to see you in here.

Eric, I guess you've already left for the Dr's - but by the time you read this, I hope your visit went well. Been praying for you.

Terry - I remember a few years back, you mentioned there were people in your company that resented your being there and were scheming to get rid of you...is that slimeball salesman one of them?

Terry, God be with you.

Ugh That is why the only job I had for more than 2 years was working at Memorial Stadium other than being self-employed.

I am really happy to hear the good news concerning your wife, think of that and work is a minor issue.

GUYS! I just went to the mailbox and picked up a mailer from eBay.
I just received a fresh condom to put on my phone -- now maybe I won't be so afraid if it should drop!

TERRY -- Sorry for the grief .. That is BS! Sounds as if someone is passing the buck?

Chessie.. Nice shot!

Good morning, it's 80 degrees at 11Am.

ERIC- Good luck, hope this visit gives you some answers.

MOH had cataract surgery yesterday on her right eye. I am amazed on how well this is all going, today we had a follow up appointment at 0830, all is well, her eye looks like nothing was done to it. She gets her left eye done next month. All this treatment cost us nothing and is covered by our medicare. Because medical coverage contributions are mandatory in BC, as well as most other provinces in Canada, people are constantly complaining about the high premiums they are paying, and yet say nothing when they get ill or have a serious injury that costs thousands of dollars. I think we have it good here.

Working on my trestle bents, I will post more pics later.

SHERREL- funny, the older my kids get, the smarter I am. Now if I could live another 50 years........

Mel

...MOH had cataract surgery yesterday on her right eye. I am amazed on how well this is all going, today we had a follow up appointment at 0830, all is well, her eye looks like nothing was done to it. She gets her left eye done next month. All this treatment cost us nothing and is covered by our medicare. Because medical coverage contributions are mandatory in BC, as well as most other provinces in Canada, people are constantly complaining about the high premiums they are paying, and yet say nothing when they get ill or have a serious injury that costs thousands of dollars. I think we have it good here.

Working on my trestle bents, I will post more pics later.
Mel

Glad to hear the good news about your wife. I will need to have that done soon the eye doctor tells me.

Canadians are so smart!

Afternoon All,

Sanded and painted the spots on the wall today. Not sure what is on the agenda for the rest of the week.

Chet- Great pictures.

Ken- The signal mast looks great. Working signals really impact the realism of a layout.

Eric- I hope things went well today.

Sherrel- Actually the majority of my problems have been electrical that presented as track issues. I think that makes me a little less clueless!

Terry- Sorry to hear of your work issues. Not being paid for required OT is a federal labor law violation, with some exceptions.

Justin- Nice picture.

Mel- Glad your wife is doing OK. My Mom has had both eyes done previously.

Louis- Nice PM picture.

Here is the new bridge weathered and decaled (like the previous one). The steamer is coming out of the RH and is a WM 2-6-6-2 (my Dad's).

20160818_122402_zpsx27zp5dn.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

The salesman is just one of those "pass the buck" people. He is known as Teflon Jason.
I have a meeting Monday morning about both him and the overtime.
Several of the haters have left, one way or another, though there are still a couple still carrying on the tradition. You would think after nearly 7 years without me leaving, they would put their efforts into something more worthwhile, but people around here are stubborn and persistent. We are doing it the way we always did it, and anything representing change is to be reviled and trampled. Some are still waiting for a rematch of the civil war.

I'm back.
(This was a she Dr. by the way.)
The cancer is quite a bit all over, into my sinuses and the back of my tongue somewhat.
They are scheduling an MRI and PET scan to be done VERY soon. i.e. within a couple of weeks.
They'll be calling me tomorrow for those appointments.

She did run the camera/scope all over in my mouth and up my nose for some pics.
I could see what she was seeing on the TV. It doesn't look pretty.
Time for a pain pill and sleep!
E.

Back